john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
a gig's a gig [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 5:01:07 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The beach was beautiful at night, John had always thought that, but it was especially so tonight. The weather was perfect -- just cool enough to warrant the heavier traditional clothing some had brought out -- and the moon shown full and heavy in the sky. Stars, rare in Slateport, twinkled above as the clean air of the oceanside freed it of some of the smog suffocating the sky elsewhere in the city.

On the ground, countless stalls. Concessions, attractions, games -- but not packed so tightly one didn't know where to go. Not gaudy either. In the spirit of the festival being celebrated tonight they were simple stalls of wood and tarp; between them were strung up wires and from them hung paper laterns that painted the sand and sea and sky in lovely oranges and yellows. It was a night out of a dream. For John it was like a nightmare.

had talked about wanting to put up a stall for the festival but wanted something special. John (idiot that he was) recommended music and then (twice the idiot) said he had some background in music that might help them get talent. Too bad all his connections were, oh, twenty years out of his date and held together with dental floss. And -- having admitted to some skill and also having recently cut his own hours in half to chase an old dream -- he found himself needing to fill that hole in talent.

So here he sat on a little stage in a little booth, flanked on either side by sleeping Meowth and more plushies of the same than he could count, trying to remember his way through some old song and maybe turn some heads for good ol P.O.G. Bank. It wasn't as easy as it sounded. It was just him, no band, with an acoustic -- and god it's not like the material he used to play had a damn thing to do with banking. Hell, he was pretty sure if his sixteen year old self knew he was working at a bank at thirty-five he'd end it right then and there.

No, too morbid, just gotta sing something.

Sure, why the hell not.

"I was a teenage anarchist, looking for a revolution," he started, voice settling into the place it always did -- breathy, raspy, half-spoken and half-sung, "I had the style, I had the ambition -- read the right authors, I knew the right slogans."

And as he sang his fingers worked. The song would never sound complete with just him and one guitar -- not to his ears -- but what could he do but try.
[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
I’d rather watch your star explode
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
a gig's a gig [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 12:48:23 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
The voice was raspy, out of tune, clearly the man had been out of practice from singing for quite a while. The strumming could use some work and the tempo wasn't exactly perfect. But there was a serious intensity to it that was unfiltered, like someone who was singing to break out of a shell.

It was wildly punk.

"Do you have an extra bass guitar?" Callan asked, backstage. The organizer took a moment to check, then: "Yes but, who--" "I'm the backup guitarist." Callan barges in.

Halfway through the set, Callan plugs the bass guitar into the amplifier, joining Nelson on stage. Should this distract the performer, he'd offer a smile, the twirl an index finger in the air, the handsign for 'keep going'. And on the next 4/4 bar, the crisp, percussive playing of a bass guitar underscores Nelson's acoustic and singing, steadying the tempo out as screams and a crowd floods begins to flood the stage.

"When you were young and wanted to set the world on fire?" He sings, his voice a backup vocal for John. Whatever words they had to say to each other, it would be after they delivered a killer performance to the crowd that now gathered before them.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Playfair Display]
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
everyday i think a little less like how i did when i was younger
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
a gig's a gig [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 15:22:07 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
This song didn't come out until years after Creampunk fell apart (for no dramatic reasons: distance, age, money) and John learned it like he played it now -- on his own. Around a campfire with Dess (then an adolescent Loudred) and other pokemon he didn't keep when battling, too, fell through. It already felt like it did now in this moment. Nostalgic. Yearning. Frustrated.

When did he get so frustrated?

"I was a teenage anarchist, but the politics were too convenient! In the depths of their humanity all I saw was bloodless ideology," John's voice got louder, not more confident but less self-conscious as he let himself forget where he was, "and with freedom as the doctrine guess who was the new authority? I was a teenage anarchist, but the politics were too convenient!"

He hit the chorus for the second time and it didn't immediately register there was more sound now. Another instrument, another voice underneath his pushing it up. Elevating and filling out the music. It didn't immediately register, and even when it did John didn't want to investigate. The campfire in his mind faded and was replaced with a stage. A dive bar. Not a lot of people, but enough that they might sing along on a good day.

"Do you remember when you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?" He got louder still for the springboard the unseen stranger's support gave him, he closed his eyes and leaned into his guitar. Into the microphone. The Meowth around him roused curiously, opening single eyes and observing him lazily.

"When you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?"
[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
a gig's a gig [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2023 12:52:53 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
As his newfound friend sank deeper into it, Callan's strumming took a back seat, allowing for John's vocals to take center stage. It was a wall, a foundation of rhythm for the man to keep going.

Callan could clearly hear it; raw, unbridled rage, rippling into the microphone as John sang. It distorted the song, made his voice hoarse, it was imperfect. But for punk, that itself was the point, sometimes a message couldn't be heard unless it was screamed into a microphone. The decades of being unheard, the pressures of being stuck in a nine to five, the experience of having dreams crushed by the gentle indifference of the world and belting it right back at the world. John was ripped into the song like a violent Houndoom and it rippled across the crowd.

"Do, you remember?" Callan sang, riding the wave of the chorus, "When you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?"

Eventually, the song fades, the thrum of Callan's bass guitar floats in the air for another bar and he kills it dead to the applause of the audience. He takes the bass guitar backstage and hands it back to the manager. A light flickers as a cigarette is put between his lips, Callan inhales the sweet glory of nicotine as he waits for punk in office clothes to slide through backstage.

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
a gig's a gig [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 0:23:32 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The rest of the song was a blur. John had hit his groove. Muscle memory took over on the guitar, the lyrics found him without reaching, it all came so easy like something in him had been just waiting for the opportunity to do this again.

But he still felt all of it.

It was emotional, and exhausting, and sweaty, and when the song ended he was shaking. The muscles in his arms were taught as the sound of the speakers -- a chord and the last of his shouts into the mic -- echoed through the air. His shoulders and back trembled. His eyes stung. Sweat in his eyes, it had to be, and he wiped a sleeve across his face to catch it. Turned away from the crowd. He barely registered how many people were there he just suddenly needed some distance.

"Hey guys, get to work," he mumbled, friendly but firm, to the Meowth near his feet. They got up slowly (taking time to stretch just about every part of themselves one could imagine) but did as ordered. They were pampered little things but they knew the pampering was one end of the deal and that they needed to uphold their own. As John walked backstage the Meowth sauntered into the crowd with plushies to hand out and brochures stored in baggies around their necks.

John walked into the shaded back of the P.O.G. bank tent without delay. He ran hands over his face and felt all the places his dress shirt had soaked through and was now clinging to him and just how slick his face itself was. How it ran up into his hair as he fisted handfuls of it.

"Fuck," he sighed to no one, voice shaky and eyes still stinging (this fucking sweat). It was then the sweetest smell caught his nose, he followed the scent of cigarette smoke to another person standing in the shaded interior. He couldn't make out their face, but he could see the burning mote of light hanging from their lips.

"Got enough to share?" he asked.

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
a gig's a gig [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 4:58:17 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan is about a third of the way from finishing his cigarette when the prodigal musician enters into the back stage, sweating and cussing.

Stage high. He had forgotten how good it was, probably a little too much when you're first heading off. But he wasn't going to leave a brother hanging. "Sure thing, they're lights though, I'm trying to cut back." And failing miserably. He hands a stick over to John, followed by his custom lighter. "Let's head to the pier."

A brief walk over to the boardwalk just outside, Callan leans against the railing. "Been a while since you last played hasn't it?" He says, red eyes surveying John's exhaustion. "You got some chops though my guy, why'd you quit?"

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
a gig's a gig [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 0:26:21 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
Gods, lights. John wasn't not so snobby as to turn down a cigarette because it was off his usual brand, but for a second he considered it before accepting. He unconsciously rolled it between his fingers while waiting for the lighter. A cute little thing. For a second he remembered when he had his own custom lighter -- used between ones nicked from house parties or bought cheap from gas stations.

Thing gave out years ago.

"Thanks," he said before lighting up and taking a long drag. Fuck, that felt good.

The call to head to the pier admittedly caught him off guard. His kneejerk response was to tell the stranger no. He was kind of working, and it wasn't like bumming a cig gave this dude the right to order him around; yet, the pier did sound nice. Fresh air. Cool by the water. So despite his better instincts he nodded and followed after the other man.

And man was he ever happy he did. How the fuck did he manage to bump into and Callan Young in the same thirty day span? What kind of messed up backwards universe did he get spat into? Not just that, but Callan Young bearing compliments?

"I appreciate it," he replied, managed somehow not to lose his cool, "and yeah, it's been a while. Turns out chops don't carry a kid far when everyone's got 'em and then some. Band never got picked up by anyone and then we split."

He took another drag from his cigarette, puffed a few clouds.

"Never found another group and decided I was better off focusing on other things."

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
a gig's a gig [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 12:47:07 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan listened, but was otherwise silent. He took a fresh cigarette and lit it as the salaryman finished his explanation. Callan turns his head, his eyes focus on something in the distance, across the boardwalk, an upscale park, now lit up with bright halogen lights.

He returns his focus to his new friend, flicking the ash from the end of his light before speaking. "I gave up for a while too, for the wife and kid. Ran a bar in Slateport that got blown to pieces during the Ultra Beast War."

"I feel it, sometimes the dream can't just be supplied by pure passion alone." Callan reaches into his coat pocket and opens a card holder. "If you're ever interested in picking up music again, lemme know. What's your name?"

MADE BY MIZO