awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
hazards [gym]
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 9:13:22 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He was in for a rather shocking awakening—all the time he’d spent planning for the non-traditional challenge against the… how many iterations had the Petalburg Gym gone through now?

He had to bench his Meganium, Moriaen, and change gears literally last-second; changing his sign-ups to Lynette and Gareth. Now the question of who was going to Mega Evolve in this battle (if it got to that point) remained to be seen…

Hopefully the two wouldn’t take it against him at the sudden, unexpected change… he then made his way into the Petalburg Gym proper, mentally bracing himself because—

What was a Ranger, if but a non-traditional protector of the peace? It was man versus Pokémon he was more used to out in nature, not something… like this!

But then again… maybe it wasn’t too late to get started?

(And then see how he regally sucked ass at something like this.)

2v2 doubles end me pls

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
old habits die hard, i guess.
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
hazards [gym]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 2:05:20 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"You don't seem like yourself, Lars."

The cool-headed leader of the rangers was known for being a voice of certainty in the room. But right now, he seemed to be confused about the position he was in. He hadn't said anything to Derek, who entered the arena on the opposite side. Perhaps the sudden change in the parameters of the challenge had made his certainty falter?

No matter. Derek was sure they could manage. Their reputation was too great to consider failure. But it wouldn't be a good look if he managed to beat them. Even if he had to throw the match a little, the political mindset had already taken root.

If anything, this was an opportunity to show Lars that he was serious about their meeting concerning Registeel. That Derek was training his pokemon to be able to tackle the challenge without the help of Lars and his rangers. He understood the head ranger's sentiment in that meeting all too well.

He was liable for their lives. He could not send them into the grinder in good conscience. Derek was just one of the few ready to throw himself into the fray. And that was dangerous. Irresponsible. He knew that.

But now he had the chance to prove the merits of his ambition.

"I apologize for the sudden change. I've been thinking about my gym a lot lately." It didn't fit the check that Hoenn's perils was trying to cash in. Something had to change. And Derek only felt it right that it started with him. His gym. "But I am glad to have the chance to battle someone with so many badges. Someone who shot me down when I was overzealous in my pursuit of revenge." The sudden release of his two pokemon would prompt Lars to get ready for battle.

"It's not personal, but I have a bit of a bone to pick with you. Call it a personal hurdle. Help me see whether I've grown since my time as a ranger under your wing, kay?"

tl;dr
Derek gives Lars the first move!
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
hazards [gym]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 12:04:32 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“If we let you charge on ahead recklessly back then, you’d either be maimed for life or worse—dead,” he remarked.

“I’m sure even you wouldn’t want that, right?” he followed up a few moments later as he let the silence resolve between them before he spoke up again.

“You were letting your emotions get in the way—you know how disastrous shit can get when someone allows their emotions to get the better of them in heated situations.”

He’d only meant well by their previous exchange as he popped the twin Safari Balls open and watched as the two appeared from within—a Gallade taking the point, and Gardevoir taking up the rearguard.

“Don’t mind if I do, then!”

Everything, everywhere all at once started happening—the Gardevoir then set down the ground with a Psychic Terrain, while the Gallade crossed his blade-arms and powered up via Swords Dance.

There was something brewing on the horizon, but what could it be?

Gallade & Gardevoir are out on the field!

Gardevoir sets up with a Psychic Terrain (1 / 5) while Gallade gets ready with a Swords Dance (+2 to atk!)

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights