Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
I cannot conceive of a universe
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
Curiosity is one of the great secrets of happiness.
awards
1,331 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2023 14:50:20 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","nomitest2"]
[attr="class","text"]

People seemed to fear , and they were right to do so. Nomi knew she should feel the same, but ever since meeting him, she had only ever felt a fondness for the underboss. Perhaps it was his scientific mind - he'd started out in the Rocket labs, just like she had - or maybe it was simply because she found him more fascinating than she did terrifying.[break][break]
"Thank you for agreeing to meet with me," she said, her demeanor calm and composed despite the steady, unrelenting pressure of the shadow Lugia swimming somewhere beyond the thick walls of the Rocket submarine. Even from the outside, its presence dominated the senses of those within range of its power. What must it feel like to be constantly connected to such a creature? She wondered, not for the first time.[break][break]
But they would get to that.[break][break]
"I have something of a unique request," she began. "I am about to begin a series of experiments...ones that I believe, if successful, could greatly advance Rocket's combat effectiveness against the League's many assets...including their known Avatars." She clasped her hands behind her back, subconsciously mimicking the way had loomed over her during their first conversation - which now seemed like a lifetime ago. "I have reached out to , for I believe my work could be of great benefit to the SPECTRA initiative...but there is something specific I need from you."[break][break]
She eyed him with keen crimson eyes. When they'd first met, she'd been a mere grunt, just another cog in the scientific wheel. Now, she was 's trusted protégé, and one of Hoenn Rocket's most promising innovators. By her side, her loyal Sylveon, Valerian, stood sentinel; he, too, did not cave under Lugia's pressure.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

Nomi's Outfit Inspiration[break]
Shoutout to this amazing essay for the thread title inspiration (give it a read! It's beautiful)

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.nomitest2]--accent:#f798d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.nomitest2]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 a"]color:var(--accent);font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 .credit"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 .credit a"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,856 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2023 20:00:20 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

"Of course."[break][break]

Gavin's voice, rich and deep, carries easily through the spacious metal office. He sits behind his wooden desk, the door having opened seemingly of its own accord — by her experience with Valerian, might be able to identify a Sylveon's TELEKINESIS as the cause, the sharp-fanged fey creature curled in the underbosses lap like a pampered cat.[break][break]

"Congratulations on your new position." He gestures as invitation for her to sit, though notably doesn't voice order. "Flint speaks highly of you. I'm certain you'll do great work for us."[break][break]

was his sister; Gavin valued her opinion above most.[break][break]

With pleasantries aside, he asks, "Now, how can I help you?"[break][break]

She explains, and he listens in rapt silence, pale fingers tented beneath his chin. When she mentions needing something specific from him, his amber gaze narrows ever-so-slightly. The PRESSURE in the room intensifies for but a moment before the soothing effects of his Sylveon's CALM MIND abate his nagging suspicions, in turn reassuring the leviathan to whom his will was bound.[break][break]

"And what would that be?"

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"][break]

[newclass=.twtgm] --accent: #765d75; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .main] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,331 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 4:34:00 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

Though she kept her expression composed, Gavin's praise regarding her promotion elicited a surge of pride. And yet, Nomi could also hear the suspicious quality of his voice as he inquired into the nature of her request. She could not blame him for his paranoia; while she did not know the details of his past - not yet, anyway - she knew that the Kanto regime took a toll on a person's psyche, one way or another.[break][break]
That, or you wound up dead.[break][break]
"My experiments need live test subjects," she explained, tone even, her outward demeanor unaffected by his distrust. Valerian purred softly in greeting, sensing the fellow Sylveon that lay curled in Gavin's lap.[break][break]
"I have a theory. The remnants of Meteno's mineral vein - what we call tera shards - are capable of temporarily changing a Pokemon's physiology...their typing." He knew all of this, of course, but a man like Gavin would appreciate her investment in logic as a means of credibility. "The various supernatural energies we have thus far discovered on our planet have all had a distinct effect on all living things, not just Pokémon. The energy produced via Terastallization shows promising signs of following a similar pattern. Therefore, I intend to test the effects of tera shards on beings other than Pokémon, in hopes of changing their physiology as well."[break][break]
She paused, allowing the Lugia's PRESSURE to emphasize her point - after all, the nature of a human Avatar was to be physiologically changed by the boons of a legendary Pokémon.[break][break]
"In short, I need human test subjects."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

Shoutout to this amazing essay for the thread title inspiration (give it a read! It's beautiful)

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.nomitest2]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest2 .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,856 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2023 22:31:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Mention of live test subjects does nothing to soothe the tension in Gavin's shoulders. His Sylveon is far less perturbed, offering a chirp of greeting to Valerian even as its feelers curl around Gavin's forearm to further soothe his frayed psyche.[break][break]

Silently, he nods along to Nomi's mention of TERA SHARDS.[break][break]

Were he not already an avatar, the prospect of such alteration might excite him personally. He has always sought power through whatever means it could be gained. With recent advancements in technology such as SYGNA SUITS being incompatible with his avatar powers, however, the gleam of curiosity in his amber gaze is not for himself.[break][break]

Rocket could use this, certainly.[break][break]

"And so you've come to me. I do hope you're not asking me to participate." He blinks calmly at her. Notably, there's no threat or heat behind the words; might be able to deduce, then, that it would not be the first time he was approached in such a way. "I can get you subjects. Traitors, for your early stages, when survival is not so likely. We might discuss more... long-term arrangements if your experiments bear fruit."

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,331 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2023 2:21:30 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

Gavin's reaction was curious: concern for his own involvement? Why would she ever request such a thing from her superior, an underboss of their organization? A man who could end her with the snap of his fingers? It would never be sanctioned. She was obviously looking for people he could supply her with.[break][break]
But then she heard it, just for a second, behind the calm cadence of his tone. He has been used in this way before, she realized. Yet another Kanto trauma, rearing its ugly head. Or so she guessed.[break][break]
Traitors, yes. That was of course what she had meant.[break][break]
"That would be most appreciated," she replied. "Disposables. People who would have otherwise been executed. I cannot guarantee their safety - or survival - during the initial trials."[break][break] She said this with a measured calm of her own. Was this the cold disregard for human life that one such as might display? Or was this merely the harsh reality a scientist must face, should she wish to discover something truly world-changing?[break][break]
Traitors were a compromise. They should never have crossed Rocket in the first place.[break][break]
"As for the longer-term arrangement, leave that to SPECTRA. Once I start to see some success - and can ensure that a person can withstand the alterations - I will look for volunteers amongst that faction. I already have at least one person willing to help."[break][break]
had been more than willing to aid Nomi, in fact, without even fully understanding the dangers; such was one of the many reasons she adored him.[break][break]
"I also..." This last request had to be approached carefully. After all, he had just indicated his reluctance. "I would be interested in studying your powers. As an avatar. If my goal is to mimic the phenomenon synthetically, it would benefit me to be able to study the more traditional - I suppose you could say, natural - bond."[break][break]
She tried to convey her respect, as well as her understanding. He had been through hell; she did not intend to take him back.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,856 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2023 3:53:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

NO.[break][break]

Though Nomi would not hear the sudden thunder of Lugia's telepathic cry, she would certainly feel the sudden increase in the room's PRESSURE. She would see Gavin wince, fingers pressed against his temple as he squints.[break][break]

His fingers curl to tight fists, knuckles white. His jaw clenches with the flood of rage.[break][break]

CALM MIND from his Sylveon fights the fury, soothing him enough to respond.[break][break]

I would never allow them to use you again.[break][break]

The PRESSURE remains, even as Gavin regains his own composure.[break][break]

"I am afraid that Lugia is unwilling to be subjected to further tests." She could certainly surmise, from there, the source of his sudden tension. Red eyes glare from the window behind him. "You'll have access to all those done already, of course."[break][break]

Lugia had consented, when their bond had been fresh.[break][break]

NO MORE.[break][break]

I know.[break][break]

"I, myself, will provide whatever I can... so long as that information is kept confidential. Between you and I." A brief hesitation, ", if he requests. And . No further."[break][break]

He trusts his sister, and he is as beholden to the boss as ever.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,331 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2023 1:24:04 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

The PRESSURE suddenly intensified, and Nomi winced, instinctively bringing a hand to her temple as her head throbbed. A vague corner of her mind registered that this was not even a fraction of the power that the shadow Lugia could unleash upon her, if she so wished. Had Nomi upset Lugia somehow?[break][break]
Gavin soon clarified.[break][break]
"Of course," Nomi breathed, voice sounding strained, unaccustomed to the PRESSURE in the ways that Gavin was. A sudden soothing calm washed through her, countering the PRESSURE; she looked down at Val, but he shook his head, expression as disturbed as she felt. The other Sylveon, then.[break][break]
"Lugia's wishes will be honored. I have no interest in further hurting her." Nomi had read some of the reports regarding the testing that had been done in the past. She now understood that the legendary Pokémon had not liked the experience.[break][break]
It seemed even Gods could have trauma.[break][break]
"It is you I am interested in, anyway. Or rather - what the bond feels like for you. What you experience, and how it has changed your body - if at all." She paused, eyeing the Underboss. "I would never hurt you, either," she added softly, meaning it.[break][break]
Not that she could; he was capable of killing her as easily as blinking. But it was the sentiment that mattered...she respected him, might even be growing to care for him like an older brother...something that, unlike her scientific work, she had very little actual experience with.[break][break]
She didn't want to ruin it before the seed could sprout.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,856 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2023 3:23:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

At Nomi's reassurances, the PRESSURE abates to its regular levels. Even Gavin looks relieved, offering a slight twitch of his lip by way of apology for the side-effects of his patron's wrath.[break][break]

He nods as she expresses her particular interest in him, expecting as much.[break][break]

What he doesn't expect is the softness in what comes next. The genuine note behind her promise. He didn't think she'd care.[break][break]

A reflexive, defensive part of him locks up. Lips part as if to brush off the implication of care. He has been hurt many times by those who'd claimed to care for him... but he has come a long way since then, as well. He closes his mouth and dips his head in acknowledgement.[break][break]

"Thank you."[break][break]

It settles between them, an understanding.[break][break]

"I'll answer whatever questions you might have." Starting with the ones she'd just posed. "It has been... more of a struggle to moderate certain emotions. Anger. Excitement. That's why I have Puca, here." The Sylveon in his lap trills. Gavin frowns, seeming to realise something for the first time. "I am not so easily rattled by danger. I have always attributed that to Hoenn's trend toward a weekly apocalypse," with a slight smile, "but it may be a result of our bond, as well."[break][break]

He was a man possessed of an abundance of caution, but had several times thrown those cautions to the wind in recent memory. Cyberspace. Mt. Pyre. The Wilds.[break][break]

This doesn't make it sound particularly pleasant, but he assures Nomi, "Lugia's presence is a comforting one. Protective."[break][break]

It had not solely been for herself that she'd been angered at the thought of testing. She has never liked Walsh, not since the tests performed on Gavin with the Absorber.[break][break]

"I can't speak to the effects it's had on my body beyond what the miasma can do. It heightens speed and reaction time, but only for myself and my Pokémon, so far as I can tell."[break][break]

The SHADOW MIASMA seems to be with him always, wisps of purple-black smoke that curl around him as he gestures.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,331 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2023 3:57:57 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

A soft exhale as the weight on her mind eased. Lugia seemed placated, for now. Nomi rolled her shoulders and shook her head slightly, pink hair falling in unruly waves.[break][break]
More reassuring than Lugia's acceptance, Gavin seemed grateful for Nomi's investment in his wellbeing. He believed her - that she meant it. This pleased her, though she knew that it was only a small victory in the war against Gavin's paranoia and self-preservation. He has a husband. There's a heart in there somewhere. Why this mattered, she wasn't entirely sure. She kept her own heart locked up tight within an iron vault, where it would be safe from the disappointment of betrayal and loss.[break][break]
All the same, she registered the understanding that passed briefly between them.[break][break]
"I am well aware of the benefits of keeping a Sylveon by one's side," Nomi smiled at Val as Gavin made mention of his Sylveon. "It is good that you have at least one way of offsetting the...more difficult side-effects of your bond."[break][break]
She listened as he relayed more information about his experience. It was fascinating, of course. Nomi took note of all of the ways in which he had been augmented by Lugia's power. Mentally: the heightened emotions...the connection to her emotions, raw and primal. Physical: increased speed and reaction time. And...the presence of the miasma, his strange spectral armor.[break][break]
Drawn to it, Nomi moved forward, reaching out her hand - tentatively, gently - to run fingers through the shadowy substance that seemed to follow after Gavin's gestures like the tail of a comet. "It's beautiful," she murmured, captivated. Had she ever noticed this about him before? Surely from a distance, but up close...[break][break]
"You are connected to shadow," she looked up, meeting his eyes, the curiosity and awe plain on her face. "Does it ever help you hide? An increase in stealth, perhaps?"[break][break]
Nomi had witnessed do many incredible things with the darkness that her own Patron granted her. For the first time, it seemed to Nomi as if Lulu and Gavin were alike it several ways. As avatars, in any case. As people...well. She supposed they did have the same sort of quiet intensity...unrelenting ambition...blunt candor.[break][break]
Actually, the two were quite similar, Nomi realized.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,856 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2023 2:53:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Beautiful.[break][break]

His powers have been described in many ways, but 's take on the shadow miasma was a first. It makes him smile.[break][break]

"Not many think so," he confesses, "but I agree."[break][break]

Nomi reaches out to the miasma, and Gavin lets it seep from him in earnest so that small wisps become smoky tendrils, curling into her touch. It would feel like passing her hand through air, though her vision of him would be obscured where it passed through her vision.[break][break]

When she asks about stealth, it swirls to cloak him in shadow. His silhouette alone remains visible.[break][break]

"It helps," he affirms. "Not quite so powerful as being invisible, but close. If I drop it in a crowd, it'd be impossible to tell me apart from anyone of similar build and height. It works on my Pokémon, too."[break][break]

It slowly settles down to blanket the floor like an eerie carpet, no longer obstructing her view.[break][break]

"It's easier to control than it used to be."

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,331 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2023 16:09:28 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

Nomi watched in wonder as Gavin's form blurred, then became barely visible, then returned to normal. The swirling shadows seemed to caress him like a lover's embrace, gentle and tender. She marveled at just how alive the miasma seemed. But that made sense, didn't it? It was the gift of something living, an extension of her consciousness.[break][break]
"Why do you think it became easier?" Nomi asked softly, crimson eyes watching the swirls of shadow now blanketing the office floor. Though they were calm, they never stilled, always curling about or moving through the air slowly...deliberately. She had a feeling that if she were to attack Gavin in that moment - which she would of course never do - they would shoot up with an unnatural speed and engulf him as quickly as an eyeblink, a shield of shadow ready to act at the first sign of a threat.[break][break]
"It seems there is something of a learning curve when one becomes an Avatar," she guessed, though her tone suggested she was open to being corrected. "It is not an instant transfer of skill and knowledge, but rather, the beginning of something that must further develop."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,856 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON Mar 31, 2023 14:33:36 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

As he ponders a response to her question, Nomi offers her own suggestion to fill in the silence. Gavin nods; he'd been searching for the words to say as much.[break][break]

"Such has been my experience, though I don't know if it is the universal one for Avatars."[break][break]

There had been no handbook to follow, no prior experiences to pull from but his own. Though his powers had always been responsive to his touch, he found that he possessed more nuance than before.[break][break]

"The miasma is directed like a wind," he offers, and it swirls in demonstration. "But the strength of that wind can vary. At first, I couldn't control it as efficiently as I do now. It feels like an extension of myself."[break][break]

He'd been as startled as his opponent the first time the miasma had brought a Pokémon from the brink of unconsciousness to fight on his side.[break][break]

"It has a more sinister purpose, as well. Do you mind allowing me to knock out one of your Pokémon?"

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,331 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON May 5, 2023 14:29:14 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

A more sinister purpose?[break][break]
Intrigued, Nomi took out a Pokeball. It never crossed her mind to allow Valerian to take part in this experiment. He was far too precious, and in many ways, she didn't even think of him as just a Pokémon. He had been her dearest companion since childhood, and without him, she would surely have died on Meteno, if not before.[break][break]
The Sylveon merely watched as Nomi released Lilac, her Starmie, stepping aside to make room for the other Pokémon. Lilac had regenerative capabilities. Knocking them out would be short-lived, and they would recover quickly. This wasn't a true battle, just a demonstration. And Nomi was extremely eager to see what Gavin could do.[break][break]
Nomi looked at the mysterious water Pokemon. "Do not retaliate. This is just an experiment. It may be painful. Do you understand?" The Starmie regarded her with its feature-less face, the red gem - so like a Primal crystal - embedded in its chest flashing once in agreement. Nomi nodded, then turned back to Gavin.[break][break]
"Go ahead," she consented. "Show us what you can do."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,856 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON May 5, 2023 14:45:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

A Starmie is released onto the field; in answer, Gavin sends out an Eelektross whose circular maw opens to reveal jagged crystal splinters in place of teeth. Electricity crackles around its levitating form.[break][break]

Gavin clicks his tongue, and that electricity sparks and expands as Merrow darts forward. She slams into her prey with force and purpose, causing an extra pulse of electric damage from the physical blow before she's swallowed by the VOLT SWITCH.[break][break]

When the Starmie succumbs, Gavin's miasma grasps with shadowy tendrils.[break][break]

It seeps into the fallen star, swirls, and breathes new, sinister life into its pointed limbs.[break][break]

The Starmie wouldn't understand his clicks and whistles, but he calmly (and slowly, deliberately offering Nomi time to act) directs its attention toward Valerian. The Sylveon is capable enough, he assumes.[break][break]

"Attack."[break][break]

PSYCHIC energy sets its crystal heart aglow.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,331 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
In Praise of Shadows [S]
POSTED ON May 10, 2023 2:53:48 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

"Reanimation," Nomi breathed, enthralled.[break][break]
Her own Pokémon was being used against her. After it had fainted, the shadows had seeped into it, taken control of it. Was this possible because the shadows were a part of Lugia, a living being? If Gavin were to fall unconscious, would she be able to control his body as well?[break][break]
Another thought crossed Nomi's mind: did the shadow miasma have the power to reanimate not just the fainted, but the dead? The prospect of some kind of army of corpses was morbid and horrible, but Nomi's brain never ceased to consider every possibility. If it could be of benefit to Rocket, to SPECTRA...[break][break]
Valerian was capable; when his former ally turned on him, he immediately put up a LIGHT SCREEN around himself, snarling with distrust. Avoiding the wave of PSYCHIC energy with nimble movements, he retaliated with a MOONBLAST that hit the Starmie square in its red gem. With a flickering of light, the glow of the gem went out, and the short-lived battle was over.[break][break]
Val approached to sniff hesitantly at Lilac's inert body, glancing up at Gavin with understanding eyes. You did this, he seemed to communicate, impressed.[break][break]
Nomi returned the Starmie to its Pokeball. "I appreciate the demonstration," she said to Gavin, meaning it. "This is an extremely useful ability. What does it feel like for you? Can you sense the unconscious Pokémon? Are you the one in control or is it Lugia?"

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]