Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2023 5:00:44 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

There’s nothin’ like summer in the city.[break][break]
Time turns back. Troubles unwind. Battles are unfought. Life is good.[break][break]
The beaches of Slateport are bustling. The people are blissfully unaware of what waits for them. There’s nothing to be done except enjoy oneself.[break][break]
The buzz at the moment concerns a passing swarm of Gyarados. They’re migrating along a route that takes them within sight of the beach. It’s attracted tourists from all over the world. The crowds are congesting. It’s hell for the police and the rangers alike.[break][break]
A boy approaches one of the officers.[break][break]
Hey, Kyle! I gotcha something! is offered an ice cream cone from a teenage boy. Gabriel Navidson can’t be older than fourteen. He’s enjoying his youth. All smiles and scraped knees. Kyle’s nothing special yet, but Gabe still looks up to him. Sometimes, he gives his older brother crap, using Kyle as an example.[break][break]
You’d make more of a difference if you joined the police force, Navy! Just look at Kyle![break][break]
D’you think we might get to see a red Gyarados?” The kid asks.

[break][break]

+ ooc notes

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.arties]font:11px roboto;--accent:#9efffe;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,471 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2023 11:03:16 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
his yawning is broken by the appearance of a young boy. he had been in daze for a bit before being interrupted by the kid.

"ah, good shit, gabe." he's around the age where boys start cussing outside the classroom, so kyle figured it'd be fine. "i'll make sure this bribe will be worth it."

if he had one of his superiors around, he's certain he'd get reprimanded for it. he knows he won't though, given that the beach is packed and their attention is better used elsewhere than one wayward officer.

the ice cream cone is received, alongside a question that comes with it. the icebreaker for the conversation was too smooth that kyle figured he'd take notes from the teen with how bad he is in a social setting.

"hmm, probably not." his eyes bring him to the swarm of gyarados. "but i could be wrong. i'm really bad at guessing. do you want to check it out anyways?"

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2023 11:45:13 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Heeey, language!” Gabe chides the officer. “Are you a cop or a sailor? …honestly, I dunno who’s worse about that, you or Navy.” He looks around, as if expecting to see his older brother somewhere, but he’s off doing something. Probably solving a case. The older Navidson boy has a chronic problem with having fun. [break][break]
Despite the severity carried in his voice mere moments before, Gabe lets the point of contention die. He moves on in a way only the young truly can. Kyle offers to check it out with him, which lights Gabe’s bright blue eyes up. Excited at the prospect, he nods and all but pulls the older Slateport denizen along through the sea of humanity. [break][break]
They pass Johto tourists snapping pictures, Kalosian teenagers speaking in their native tongue, and overweight Unovan couples gawking at it all. Hoenn’s beaches are second only to Alola’s. That they’re only second best is a matter of some debate. [break][break]
Not with that attitude, we won’t! Wow…look at all the people! It doesn’t even get this busy during Christmas!” He’s short, standing on his tiptoes to try and see the waves over everyone. [break][break]
Are you not hot in your uniform?

[break][break]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,471 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2023 12:58:56 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
his eyes look up to the sky as he appears to contemplate on the question. a second or two later, they return back to gabe's gaze.

"i guess it does get a bit hot." he thinks about unbuttoning the topmost button of his shirt, but decides against it. "but it looks good, right?"

he could go without the hat though, so he takes it off. at least it'll be easier to put back if a superior catches him without it.

though gabe tiptoes just to get a view, kyle doesn't need to. it only takes him a single glance to see that there wasn't anything out of the ordinary from the bunch. still, one look wouldn't be enough to see one on a whole school of them.

"hey," he tells the young navidson. "want to check it out from a different angle?"

unlike foreigners, they were locals who knew every nook and cranny of the beach. while this wasn't where kyle had his childhood, he already has spent a large portion of his young adulthood here to be familiar enough.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2023 15:38:32 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Gabriel Navidson is a poster child for the term good kid. Navy will never find his younger brother out running the roads or causing mischief. He’s in on time. He does his homework. He doesn’t really do anything outside the bounds of the rules.[break][break]
But today…[break][break]
When Kyle says that, he looks up at the grown-up and grins. There’s an idea in his noggin. A twinkle in his eye. One might say he has a notion.[break][break]
Uhuh! Actually, I have an idea, officer! One that’ll be lotsa fun. Er – it’ll help control the excitement of the crowds. Yeah!” He offers no explanation, he simply moves through the hidden side alleys. The passageways, the streets that lead to deserted corners of the beach.[break][break]
Eventually, they’re close to the water. There’s a nice view of the pristine waves. Gabe pulls one of his two pokeballs from his belt. The basic red and white design gives no hints at the well-behaved dragon within.[break][break]
Kohryu swims in the shallow water. Compared to his siblings and cousins that will soon be passing them by, he’s well-behaved. The long blue dragon’s red eyes are filled with adoration for the human. He looks to Kyle with respect.[break][break]
Wanna swim with the Gyarados? To, uh, make sure they don’t attack anyone in the crowd! Yeah!

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,471 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2023 0:32:13 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
one of them was a good kid, alright.

kyle is quick to change to his undershirt and shorts as they pass through the crowds. with their attention on the gyarados, no one takes notice of him until he already is in his casual wear.

"good thinking. we really need to take precautions in case tourists are unprepared for the dangers of hoenn waters."

any excuse to ditch work with a hint of valid reasoning will be stretched until it becomes reality will be taken by the officer.

a dog from work he'd be walking after shift gets released from the ball, left with the uniform he stripped off alongside footwear. seeing the trainer with clothes he'd wear after work tricks the growlithe into thinking it's time for walks, but a simple high-pitched whistle gets him to stay.

"alright, wait for me."

although his words were lax, kyle was too excited to ditch his current workload for an impromptu task of watching over civilian and making sure they won't disturb the wildlife.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2023 10:51:33 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

And where are you running off to with my brother, Lopez?” Another enters the fray. Gabe turns and sees Navy. Time has been kind to him. He doesn’t look so different. There’s a bit more of an edge to him. His eyes have a ferocity that time and Gabe will eventually dull. Gabe’s own eyes tell a story. [break][break]
This is someone he adores. His hero. Gabe beams at his brother. [break][break]
I’m helping him blow off work, actually!” Gabe says matter of factly. [break][break]
Navy raises an eyebrow. [break][break]
Officer Lopez himself, slacking off? Man, this I gotta see. Just finished working for the day anyway. Gyarados has room up there for three.” [break][break]
Yeah! I’ll scoot down some. Climb up.” [break][break]
And so, the Navidson boys and one officer are off. Soaring through the waters around the beach. Kohryu swims through the sky, only dipping close to the water every so often. They are, inevitably, spotted by tourists who start snapping pictures. [break][break]
Gabe waves. Navy laughs, looking at Kyle as if to say ‘this kid’.

[break][break]

+ ooc notes

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,471 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2023 15:01:12 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the elder brother's arrival is met with a scowl, but the slightest smirk on his expression turns the look of disappointment to a friendly jab.

"it's not slacking off. for the record, gabe raised a good point on why this should pass as observance of public safety."

big words were used to make his excuse statement sound more legitimate. whether it works or not, it eventually makes its way to kyle's mannerisms when he talks.

as the navidsons relish the moment, the officer finds his bravado fading at the spotlight. to save face, he instead focuses on what felt more important at that moment.

"if anyone asks, we thought we saw a red gyarados and we can't help but try to look for it since, well, it's dangerous or something."

he was technically on duty, and with his colleagues being used to his shenanigans, it's likely that his excuse won't work just as well. fabricating a story as a backup plan was the next best thing he can think of to chain to his previous excuse.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2023 17:38:59 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Well, bein’ fair, a red Gyarados probably would be dangerous…” Navy muses as they ride the waves together. Kohryu, sensing Gabe’s desire to show off, flies into the air and starts doing a slow, elegant dragon dance with the three of them on his back.[break][break]
Yeah, but it’ll be fine. You two could kick its butt.” Gabe says to the two men he holds in high esteem.[break][break]
I’ll back you up though, Lopez. Anyone asks, I’ll say I saw a hint of red. It beats being cooped up in that hot uniform all day, huh?” His smile is just a tad sour. Despite his talent for investigating crime, Navy’s not meant for the police force. Truth be told, he can’t stand cops. Kyle’s one of the few good ones, but his opinion of the force by and large is low.[break][break]
Look, you two!” Gabe says. The Gyarados swarm is upon them. Blue dragons swim past them, paying them little mind thanks to Kohryu. A few even join them in the air for the dance.[break][break]
Beneath them swims a school of Magikarp, jumping in and out of the water.[break][break]
We might just see a red one!!

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,471 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2023 8:03:03 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he tries his best to steer his face away from the shore, where his superiors might actually take notice of him.

"yeah. me and officer wil over there will take care of you if something goes awry." the message was sarcastic, but his tone was as dry as every sentence he says that it hides it well from the kid.

"thank you for that. if only they can hear a citizen's complaints and make the change." the response to the older navidson was genuine, but appeared otherwise for anyone who doesn't know how kyle works.

back then, he didn't care about the tone of his words. opinions about him be damned.

when he looks down at the water after gabe calls his attention to it, he has to lean closer and squint. he definitely sees red, but differentiating it from magikarp was difficult.

he eventually does lean closer for comfort as the slightest movement of their gyarados bumps him out of his seat. throwing him off to the water, he lets go a cuss in front of the child while in the presence of the overprotective brother.

"fuck!"

he drops to the school of magikarp. while underwater, he swears he sees a hint of red. his eyes lose sight of it when he gets up for air later.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2023 8:41:55 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Lopez!” Navy acts on impulse, as he always has and always will. He sees someone fall into the water, someone perfectly capable of rescuing themselves, but he just can’t control himself. Navy’s in the water before he can say ‘top champion’. A swarm of Gyarados are passing them by. These creatures could, at a moment’s notice, decide that they look like a tasty meal. Worse yet, there’s the omnipresent threat that they might grow agitated and launch hyper beams at the shoreline.[break][break]
Stuff like that runs through Navy’s head as he jumps in the water – as if his presence there with Kyle could possibly prevent any of that. The stark truth, that he is simply putting himself in harm’s way for little to no reason, doesn’t cross his mind. He’s there in the water with Kyle, seeing red. All around them, the swarm swims. The Gyarados are too busy to pay them any mind. A few of the Magikarp poke at them before moving on…[break][break]
But, Navy thinks he sees it, too. Kyle and him are both blessed with powers of observation thanks to their jobs. There’s distinct shades of red. Navy catches a glimpse of a different pattern, different scales. It’s almost like…[break][break]
No, there’s no time to think. He tries to help pull Kyle up towards the surface, gasping for air and basking in the cool water.[break][break]
You saw what I saw, Lopez?” Navy asks, unable to believe his own eyes.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,471 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2023 8:54:37 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
for someone who doesn't believe in luck, he seems gifted in that department.

his eyes were wide with surprise by the time they surface. the treat they saw underwater brings a smile on his face, only to be covered with his index finger as to signal him to close his mouth.

"do you think he'll jump here if i answer that?" he asks in a hushed tone.

his eyes move up to where gabe was: atop the gyarados. the kid was so excited to see a red gyarados that he's unsure if it'll be enough for him to break free from his good boy act to see it.

out of the two of them, one was an expert when it deals with gabe. the question answers navy's with a yes, but ultimately, the decision of whether to inform his brother about it lay on him.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2023 9:10:09 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

And his answer…is telling.[break][break]
Navy hates lying to his brother, but he knows his brother’s heart. Kyle does, too, for they arrive at the same conclusion on what happens next. Gabe looks down at them expectantly, waiting on the edge of his seat. Wide-eyed. Full of curiosity. A bundle of energy Navy both loves and admires.[break][break]
Man, can’t believe it was just a bunch of Magikarp down there.” Navy grumbles, playing the part of the catcher in the rye. He’ll make the dumb decisions so that Gabe won’t have to. The world is a simple place. Navy cannot perceive the evil lurking out of sight. He thinks that summer, like Gabe’s childhood, will never end.[break][break]
A reality shattered in a few short years.[break][break]
Gabe looks disappointed, but lowers Kohryu so that they can climb back on.[break][break]
Aw, man…” He grumbles.[break][break]
There there, bud.” Navy’s sopping wet but still pats Gabe on the shoulder. “We’ll grab something to eat. Lopez can come, too. Gotta make sure a kid like you gets home safe. Right, officer?

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,471 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2023 9:44:41 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he wears his poker face despite the urge to laugh at the other's acting skills. he distracts himself to help himself with it, staring at the red gyarados by the water until it sinks deeper to the sea.

the invitation to eat brings him back to the conversation. he swiftly turns away from the water and to the siblings.

"oh, for sure. i took an oath when i took the job, and it's part of my duty to serve and protect, or something like that."

he climbs back to the gyarados, sweeping his hair back to keep the wet tendrils from smothering his face.

"let me clock out first though, and then i'll catch up." his shift was about to end, and the sooner he does it, the less people will notice he's been out having fun instead of doing his job. "make sure it's somewhere i can afford though."

he has to put that out just in case. one can never know if someone from work actually spotted him and dock his pay for it.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Summer in the City [M]
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2023 9:53:58 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Sure thing.” Navy’s smile has genuine gratitude when he’s turned away from Gabe. Kyle played along with his little lie when he didn’t have to, and for that he earns Navy’s loyalty. That’s the law of the street. Scratch someone’s back and they’ll scratch yours in return.[break][break]
Ultimately, this is just some minor incident. A daydream that fades into memory as these two men grow into the people they are meant to be. One, champion of the region. A hero to all. A symbol that anyone can rise to the top with enough grit. The other, a warrior masquerading as a detective. A man determined to follow the former to the mountaintop for another’s sake.[break][break]
Yet it haunts Navy in the years to come. Shapes how he sees Gabe’s death at Sootopolis. He wonders if that minor decision made any difference, to not let Gabe make his own mistakes. Whether or not that’s the case, it doesn’t matter. What happens happens. What is written cannot be unwritten. The past cannot be changed.[break][break]
Navy resolves to carve the rest of the tale for himself from here on out.

[break][break]