1,561 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON May 4, 2023 10:54:36 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan sits once again at the center of the interview room, the last time and he had spoken was several months ago.

"Welcome back Mint." Callan replied, pulling up the trainer's former interview, they had gotten relatively far in the interview the last time. But he'd like to refresh his memory.

"So, I'd like to ask my previous question: What do you think it means when you want to become a Champion?"

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Playfair Display]
close tab

played by

kimmy

peppermint, micha
he/they
january 19
hearthome city, sinnoh
homiesexual
ig baddie
rocket beast
you gon' be
addicted to my eyes
5'6" height
5'6" height
✨ I'm addicted to shining and glowing
awards
2,677 posts
mint frost DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mint
mint frost
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON May 10, 2023 19:35:07 GMT
mint frost Avatar

He thinks about it for a moment before perking up once more. "I think, being a Champion means resolve. Because even a Champion gets tested over and over, and I think you can always learn something new from every encounter." He doesn't think he'd have challengers, more so, it would just help better his chances of challenging League elite.

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
I’d rather watch your star explode
awards
1,561 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON May 13, 2023 4:39:54 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"And where does resolve come from, Mint?" Callan asks, leaning towards the interviewee as his eyes transfix on the boy. "And would you say you have it yourself?"

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

kimmy

peppermint, micha
he/they
january 19
hearthome city, sinnoh
homiesexual
ig baddie
rocket beast
you gon' be
addicted to my eyes
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,677 posts
mint frost DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mint
mint frost
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON May 14, 2023 21:18:42 GMT
mint frost Avatar

"I know I do." Mint said back with a smile. "Without getting into personal life, but I think I've carried a strong resolve with me for a while now. I have survived a lot of things in my life, not just Hoenn monthly apocalypses. that I think would've broken any number of people." he explained.

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,561 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 5:09:04 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"Every trainer in the Region fights for survival, Mint," The words fell from Callan's lips, a quiet demand for truth, for understanding. "What makes your resolve different? What fuels it?" His gaze was piercing, an unspoken challenge in the depth of his eyes.

He paused, a brief moment of silence, his mind caught in a whirl of thoughts. Perhaps he needed to provide a foundation, an anchor for his words.

"Let me give you some insight," Callan began, his voice takes on a softer tone. "I chose to be a part of the Elite Four because I had a vision when staring at Necrozma in Sootopolis."

His eyes clouded over, a reflection of a distant dream. "This vision was fueled by a fear, and hope. A fear that she'll have no future, and a hope that my daughter would someday return to Hoenn, to live with me. The thought of her staying forever in Unova, a stranger to me, her blood father, it terrifies me."

His gaze drifted, lost in the memories, the dreams, the fears. "A large part of why I embraced the life of a rock star, why I continue to serve Hoenn, is because I want her to remember me. I want to be the face she recognizes on billboards, on drink ads, in fashion magazines."

A ghost of a smile tugged at the corners of his lips, bittersweet and full of longing. "I want to be the man she looks up to, a model she aspires to be. II want to give her a life that's worth looking forward to, free of existential dread."

He fell silent, his words hanging in the air, a testament to his resolve, his drive. "That is my resolve. That is the force that drives me towards the title of Champion. Now, I want to understand yours." The challenge returned, stronger, more pronounced. "Share your resolve with me, Mint."

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

kimmy

peppermint, micha
he/they
january 19
hearthome city, sinnoh
homiesexual
ig baddie
rocket beast
you gon' be
addicted to my eyes
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,677 posts
mint frost DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mint
mint frost
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON May 21, 2023 16:41:11 GMT
mint frost Avatar
tw suicide mention

He pushed the subject, pressing on the question again. Mint doesn't want to remember though he may reference his own personal disasters here and there. He hates his past. A shame that threatened every so often to surface before Mint must make his usual ritual of taking it out back and shooting it until it stops twitching. Kill it with the ferocity of a feral animal. He cannot go back- cannot allow himself to ever go backwards. Only forwards. He will not forget either. His body would never let him.

Locked away, within the deepest, darkest depth of his mind lies the corpse of a pathetic, lost orphan. He will not bring it out simply for display for anybody.

Mint doesn't chime in nor does he look away. When Lillycove City's ex gym leader, Elite Four of Hoenn's League begins to share something seemingly personal, almost vulnerable, he gives it the respect it deserved. Pale green eyes locked on distant red ones as he recalled and recounted. While the information he shares is surprising. He wouldn't have expect a family from one so young. He thought him young. He knew older.

His countenance is almost warm, but Mint does not interrupt. This is not a chat between them. This is an interview. Something he must pass in order to earn the right to challenge him. In order to prove a point to Rocket as one of their newest Beasts. The information he could bring, surely would help. The challenge issued is not undertaken by just anyone. He had worked to be here. He had worked for everything he had.

How many years had he toiled, non stop? Chasing- no clawing at a goal. How many beatings had he taken? How many losses had he suffered through. Would Gelatto be proud? Would or or ? If he didn't push forward what else was there?

N o t h i n g

And Mint couldn't return to nothing. He couldn't lose any of the progress he had. He was not safe all these years after, his mind walking a tightrope as his past threatened to pull him back into the abyss. Absolutely not. He wouldn't allow it. There was nothing left without .

"Your resolve for your daughter is admirable, Callan. " he said, words deliberate as he put them together in his head, double checked and then spoke. "I have shared with you my resolve- the greatest resolve in this entire region. My badges- my willingness to partake in this gym challenge, pale in comparison to what I do every day and will have to do every day for the rest of my life."

"Everytime I look in a mirror, I look my own murderer in the eyes and know I have surpassed him. Even as I feel the same itch run from my wrist all the way down to my elbow. I've cut my teeth on being the underdog." He stays still, head tilted as his fists curl into his slacks.

"My resolve is to continue chipping away at marble until I can see the masterpiece underneath. And it will be one. I won't allow anything else. And if that comforts someone- if it inspires, or helps- then all the better. Hoenn doesn't make you extraordinary just for existing here. It sets the stage for someone extraordinary to break through. And I have every intention of being that someone."

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,561 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON May 22, 2023 13:47:51 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
The flicker in Mint's eyes held Callan's attention. Callan listens to Mint's declaration, and he leans back. Silent, his lips slowly curving into a soft smile.

"Thank you for sharing, Mint." The recording device blinked off at Callan's touch, bringing their formal conversation to a close. He maintained his eye contact with Mint, his smile not wavering.

"Volition is the single strongest factor a champion can have. And it doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as it's used correctly." He paused briefly, his gaze steady.

Another pause. Callan broke eye contact, reaching for a pen. "Expect a report in about a week's time. Thanks for coming in." Callan reaches to shake Mint's hand, and then opens the door for the prospective challenger before heading out himself.

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

kimmy

peppermint, micha
he/they
january 19
hearthome city, sinnoh
homiesexual
ig baddie
rocket beast
you gon' be
addicted to my eyes
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,677 posts
mint frost DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mint
mint frost
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON May 22, 2023 19:25:11 GMT
mint frost Avatar

And with that, the interview seems over. He blinks looking over as he heard the soft click of the recorder turning off. His eyes are back to Callan's holding his gaze as he spoke.

Used correctly.

What a shame for him. What a shame for the League.

"Oh!" he sits up. "Of course, thanks so much for having me." he said, moving to his feet and cutting the distance to give Callan a firm shake of his hand. He grins, bright as ever before giving him a nod of thanks and slipping out the door. Time for a drink.

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,561 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
MINT FROST 2 | INTERVIEW
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2023 4:20:50 GMT
Callan Young Avatar

ASSESSMENT: MINT FROST

CHAMPION INTERVIEW

During the interviews, my approach was to press Mint on their responses to key questions, one of which was, "What do you think separates a trainer being strong, as opposed to their Pokemon being strong?" Mint's response, simply, was "Resilience." This term, while common, failed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the candidate's perspective. Given its ambiguity and widespread use, it appeared to be more of a deflective response than a revealing insight into Mint's philosophy or character.

In response, I sought to obtain a clearer understanding by asking Mint to elaborate on their definition of resilience. The transcript of the conversation is as follows:

1. Interviewer (Callan): "What do you think separates a trainer being strong, as opposed to their Pokemon being strong?"
2. Mint: "Resilience. It's taken me a long time to get where I am. And if you give up, so does your team."
3. Callan: "Could you give me an example of a time where you were resilient, in your own definition?"
4. Mint: "I almost quit on JOSH DEVLIN 's Dragon Slope. Way too crazy for me. But, my partner really likes racing, so even after throwing up a couple of times during the flight, I held on because he really loved it."
5. Callan: "Okay, thanks for sharing. But in this particular instance, it seems that it was your Pokemon that pushed you to get past the gym. Your definition of 'resilience' was that you should be the one who inspires your Pokemon to push past their limits."

The start of this interview marked the onset of several observed inconsistencies within Mint's persona.

It is evident that Mint had initially presented an interview persona, a strategically crafted facade based on perceived expectations, characterised by amicability and a laid-back attitude.

However, further questioning revealed glimpses of genuine passion, which alters the initial impression of Mint's character. Note the differences between these two responses:

1.) "After a while, and a stream or two, I began getting comments from people who were insecure about the gyms or were scared to challenge. So I wanted to encourage people to try them out more, even if they were normally hard core trainers."

"But, I also wanted to improve my own skills. I wasn't a very good battler before and after Groudon trashed Mt. Chimney, I felt a little defenseless even with a capable team. I figured, I can't let my own pokemon carry me. I should probably learn too."

2.) "I have shared with you my resolve- the greatest resolve in this entire region. My badges- my willingness to partake in this gym challenge, pale in comparison to what I do every day and will have to do every day for the rest of my life."

"Everytime I look in a mirror, I look my own murderer in the eyes and know I have surpassed him. Even as I feel the same itch run from my wrist all the way down to my elbow. I've cut my teeth on being the underdog."

"My resolve is to continue chipping away at marble until I can see the masterpiece underneath. And it will be one. I won't allow anything else. And if that comforts someone- if it inspires, or helps- then all the better. Hoenn doesn't make you extraordinary just for existing here. It sets the stage for someone extraordinary to break through. And I have every intention of being that someone."

Based on these observations, it seems prudent to consider the differences in Mint's interview.

These discrepancies in Mint's responses necessitate a critical evaluation. I was left to contemplate whether Mint's initial nonchalant attitude was a strategic choice, believing that they could pass the assessment by attending, or if there was a lack of seriousness towards the process on their part.

Given these considerations, I have concluded that Mint does not meet the criteria to pass at this stage. It is my belief that the inconsistency in Mint's responses and demeanor indicate a lack of preparation or understanding of the seriousness of the assessment process.

This is not a final judgment on Mint's potential. Mint's exhibited passion and resolve suggest a strong character underneath the casual facade. Therefore, while Mint does not pass this round, they are welcomed and encouraged to apply again for reassessment.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga