They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
To Visit an Old Friend [M/Gracidea]
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 2:11:11 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
It was some time after the battle waged in Ultra Deep Sea, after Sima had been put to rest. By extension, it was a little while after El had planted the gracidea seeds that they had come into possession of, a couple months prior. The seeds had risen into little sprouts, and were growing taller with each and every day. El couldn't help but feel a hue of pride at seeing the shoots; they had taken to regularly checking on them to make sure that everything was growing, to make sure that nothing was snacking on them.

But today, they would not be the only one to visit Sima's grave, and the growing flowers. It had taken a little bit of finagling, to find a chance where the both of them were free, between their respective duties and responsibilities... Though at the first chance they got, it only took a quick meetup and a Teleport from Bibidi to ferry Cygne to their destination.

The alakazam would set both trainers down gently, at the edge of the clearing. Sunlight shone down from above, a beautiful spring noon with clear skies. It was peaceful and quiet, with how deep in the woods they were - the only sounds being the distant gurgle of some creek, and the chitters of distant insect and bird pokemon. At the center of the clearing, a mound could be seen - not large, though enough to tell that something had been buried here. And across the surface, the beginning of grass shoots and other wild plants could be seen.

"Watch your step over there, I uhm, planted some seeds nearby..." El spoke - gesturing to the spaces at either side of the grave. "But... Here she is." Their tone was the slightest bit awkward - they weren't wholly sure how to approach talking about Sima, given that it wasn't as though they knew Cygne for very long, nor had they ever needed to talk about death like this before.

But, there was still a clear hue of caring as they continued speaking - explaining "I figured noone'll disturb her, this deep in the woods. And if you wanted to, uhm... Place a marker, or something like that, there's some room for that."

A pause - El now glanced over to Cygne, as they carefully approached the grave. "... How... How're you feeling?" It'd be good to check in on her, right?
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
i'm just a demon who goes along with hell as far as she can.
awards
1,315 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 18:47:54 GMT
ana fell Avatar
What was it that had said, about not wanting his little sibling to know he was a monster?

Isaac was the furthest thing from a monster. If anything, she was the monster now. Or, she was becoming one. For a reason, she said. With a purpose, she said.

Did it really matter, though?

The flowers that sprouted along the edge of Sima’s grave made her heart hurt. They were beautiful, and they reminded her of the beautiful things she’d been working on with : bouquets and arrangements and soaps and baked goods and teas and all other matter of cute, beautiful, meaningless things.

“It’s perfect. Thanks, El.”

She’s leaning on the cane El’d lent to her and chewing on her bottom lip.

“I’m… I’ve been better.”

Was she making a terrible mistake?

(It didn’t matter. She had to.)

“How are you?”
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 22:38:51 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
"Of course," El spoke, gentle and genuine in their somber smile. "I... thought this would be longer lasting, than just picking up a bouquet. More meaningful." That there'd be something beautiful for Cygne to remember Sima by, besides the mechanical beast that she had taken in. At least, that was their train of thought.

To hear that Cygne wasn't doing the best would be met with a sympathetic gaze - and they'd nod in understanding. "I'm doing alright. I've - I've been working with some new pokemon I got, relatively recently. Getting to know them." Including an Escavalier, from a certain someone next to them. It was kind of funny, the number of pokemon they were getting that were dragon or knight related... Perhaps they'd end up becoming a dragon tamer, at this rate?

Glancing to the arm they held their cane with - covered with a light layer of bandages - they continued "My arm's still got a little bit of healing to go - but it doesn't hurt anymore." Of course, it'd hurt to press directly on it - but they meant more in putting their weight on it, like they usually did. It'd definitely scar, as well - but that was okay. It was worth trying to protect those dear to them.

But as their attention shifted back to Cygne, they'd open their mouth briefly - as if intending to speak - before closing it, to think. When they found their words though, they'd step closer. "Has... something been bothering you?" They asked - adding "I know we haven't known each other for long, but... If you need someone to talk to, I'm here."

They didn't mind shouldering whatever it was that she was thinking about, even if only for the window of time that'd be spend here.

And as if echoing El's concern, Bibidi would brush against Cygne's mind with gentle warmth and inquisitiveness. If this Rocket was special to Isaac, then she was willing to extend some support to this human, too.
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,315 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 15:24:47 GMT
ana fell Avatar
The sincerity of the moment makes Cyg uncomfortable. She doesn’t know when she became so allergic to feelings, besides rage, desperation, and a smug, aching sort of pride.

“I… yeah, don’t worry,” she says, forcing a smile, “I work-- well, used to work-- at a florist. I have enough bouquets to last me a lifetime.” And yet never enough.

She has a house in Sootopolis-- a real fancy house, with a little courtyard that she’s replanted with yellow and blue dahlias.

They’re starting to cross-pollinate. She’s getting some funky colors.

“Yeah?” Cyg said, picking up that thread and running with it. Pokemon was a topic she could talk about. Pokemon were safe. “Let me know if you ever want to, like, run scrims, or something. I’m not Champion level by any means but I did train with for a bit.” Before they both started going crazy.

Her smile became genuine when El said they were doing well, healing relatively quickly. “Good. Make sure to get plenty of rest.”

Then El directs them back towards the crux of the issue.

“Just some… life changes.” Her gaze drops down and away, and she leans on her good leg, frowning.

Bibidi’s gentle exploration of her mind would be met with a wall-- stony, hard, well-built after long hours of keeping Kanaya from her thoughts. Not cold, though, just… defensive. Protective.

Ashamed?

“My best friend is… she’s… well, to be quite fucking frank, she’s gone a little cuckoo,” Cyg says, snorting a laugh and trying to deal with the tension with humor, which is her balm for everything, “and I’m kind of… going with her?” She swallows, chewing her tongue.

“And other people important to me wouldn’t… I’m not sure if ‘understand’ is the right word, but… I’m on a very steep, morally gray slope and. I’m sure they wouldn’t agree with the direction I’m taking.”

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2023 5:46:24 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
The mention of doing scrims - implying friendly battles - has El making a slight face, though they're quick to cover it up with an attempt at a smile of their own. "I, uhm, appreciate it- but..." They begin, fidgeting a little with their cane. "I don't... really like pokemon battles, to be honest. I kinda prefer stuff like races n' contests."

El quickly realized how silly that probably sounded though, given how the two of them met. Casting a somewhat sheepish smile over to Cygne, they added "I was only really out there that day to, well, help people." Fighting - though an inevitability - had never been the intention, both when they had helped around Dewford, and when they had dove into that otherworldly place for a second time.

But, there came the question of what was on Cygne's mind - and as she spoke, El listened.

From the answer given though, things sounded plenty complicated. And given that Cygne was part of Rocket as far as they knew, they could only begin to wonder what the direction they were taking on that moral slope could be. For a good few seconds, they were silent - gazing towards the grave and visibly mulling it over. Was there anything they could say to help with the worries plaguing her, they wondered?

Ultimately though - as they glanced over to Cygne once more - a question on their lips. "What... sort of direction is it?" They asked. Carefully, gently, they reached out with their free hand to give Cygne's own a squeeze - hoping it wasn't too forward for someone they technically just met, yet wanting to provide a bit of reassurance all the same.
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,315 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2023 15:21:56 GMT
ana fell Avatar
“Fair,” Cyg said, smiling at El when they confessed their aversion to battling, “but they don’t always have to be combat. Just… practicing moves, strategies. Stuff like that.” When she and had first trained, his technique had been to use roar to displace all of her Pokemon until she’d finally landed a throat chop to silence him. But even that, it seemed, would be too much for El, which was fine. Honestly, better than fine. It suited them and worried and comforted Cyg in equal measure.

“Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. You and are the same.” She thinks back at their little ramen date in the woods surrounded by the Hallow’s ghosts and how she’d promised him she’d do all his fighting for him. All the dirty work. Just use her like a gun, point and shoot.

How naive she’d been. Like her servitude was some great gift. Or even what he’d wanted, just because that was what she’d wanted. Funny, how nuanced humans were, even those you loved.

They drift into a long silence that is not uncomfortable. Cyg can feel the way El approaches the situation, looking at it from all angles; she’s not being ignored, she’s been appreciated, for what she’s worth. It’s relieving.

“It’s… well, here.” She squeezes El’s hand firmly, but briefly-- she’s present, she’s thankful, she’s comfortable with it-- and slips the walking cane between her knees to squeeze it as she bunches the hem of her shirt in her hands and lifts it to just below the curve of her breasts, making sure to not flash El, or anything, but giving them the chance to see:

There are scars. Jagged, uneven ones, from battle trauma; a circular punch of a hole from a rifle slug, and the woobly outline of where Kanaya’d packed everything in and patched her up. But there, at the bottom of her ribcage, four scythe-like marks that are far too straight to be accidental: they follow the line of her bottom ribs, arching up along the side of her body.

“I replaced-- here, okay. So. The human body has 24 ribs: twelve sets of 2, right? So the lower five to eight don’t connect to the sternum, they connect to each other. When I got shot, my last two ribs got blasted all to kingdom come. Kanaya put me back together but they weren’t right. So. I. Replaced them.” She drops her shirt and soothes it down. “And then I removed my tenth and ninth ribs and replaced them, too.” Her gaze trails down to the ground and across the young growth, swallowing. “I’m… planning on upgrading the rest of them, at some point; and my ankle, and… I’m making Isaac a new eye, and I’ve got a lung prototype in the works, and trying to nail down a kidney, too. Not for me, obviously, but for people who need them.”

She wondered if El would pick up the thread of the thing.

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 13:12:09 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
Practicing moves, and strategies... El would consider the offer for a few moments - before nodding, smiling to Cygne. "Yeah; that'd be nice, I think." They soon agreed. "You've got my number, so... Whenever we're both free, right?" Even if they themself didn't like battles, they supposed they could make a playdate of it for Yggdrassil and Behemoth, too. El didn't need to be there for the two to get some energy out of their systems tussling with a couple of Cygne's pokemon on their own, after all.

The mention of Isaac would prompt a flicker across their expression though - their smile seeming a little more held-in-place as they don't immediately respond. Instead, their gaze drifts back to the growing flowers - as if hoping that averting their gaze would hide the shift in emotions. "... How do you - uhm - know Isaac? How'd you meet him?" They asked softly, watching the way that the wind toyed at the surrounding foliage.

It felt like for all they kept running into people who knew their brother, they themself couldn't seem to get any closer to finding . They couldn't seem to get any closer to even getting in touch with him, even. It made that absence in their heart feel all the more apparent, in days like this.

But as far as the question of slopes went, well... The last thing El had expected was for Cygne to pull up her shirt - but the explanation that she gives quickly clears things up, even if it's a somewhat concerning subject. Even if the scars get clear winces of empathy from El though, there is a certain curiosity in their gaze when Cygne speaks of the replacements - and the desire to upgrade oneself.

(Their brain can't help briefly hanging at the mention of Isaac getting a new eye, however - even if they had been given a pretty good idea that something had happened, when they had first met Cygne.)

"So you... want to do things like prosthetics, and augmentations?" They question for clarification - and with the confirmation, they can't help but smile. "That's... really cool, honestly! It'd improve quality of life for so many people, to be able to do that..." They murmur thoughtfully - the hand gripping their cane doing an eager-stimmy sort of fidget...

... Though, then their mind connects this all to the mention of the morally gray slope she made before. And the smile drops a bit. "... I... don't understand what'd make it morally grey, though." Unless...?
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,315 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2023 17:45:56 GMT
ana fell Avatar
She smiles weakly. “Whenever we’re both free,” she says, tone as watery as her grin. She clears her throat and thumbs idly at the cautery scars arching up along her ribcage.

El’s question hits her right in said ribcage, but she manages to hold in the punched-out breath that threatened to escape her. She had to play her cards right, now; she couldn’t be giving away too much of Isaac’s secrets.

It was hard, to tone down on the sheer emotion that threatened to slice her to pieces; when you felt so strongly about someone, all you wanted to do was sing their praises, tell your story, and gush about them until you yourself were an empty husk. But El already knew Cyg was involved in some unsavory bullshit. Telling the truth would implement Isaac in a way that she was certain he wouldn’t want to be implemented.

For all her gut churned at the thought of lying to El, it was sickened more to think she might be betraying Isaac, even without meaning to.

So she pours all those emotions into bolstering her smile and when she speaks it’s with a strength she’d lacked, before.

“He saved my life,” she says, and it is not, she’s come to find, a lie. “Even though we… were on opposite sides of things. Being his normal, selfless… self.” It draws a snicker out of her. “And we’re friends, but I also owe him one, you know?”

She owes him many ones.

El sees where she’s going with it exactly in a way that makes Cyg’s whole face light up. “Yeah! Exactly! It’s going to help so, so many people.” Which is what she was gunning for, in the end.

But then El asks her to explain herself and she stills.

“I’m not exactly doing it… kosher.” She drops one shoulder in a pathetic shrug. “There might be an element of… human experimentation… going on.” She exhales, trying to find the confidence that she’d had just moment before. “But-- it’s-- I mean, have you seen an organ transplant list? Or, like, think of the cost. No one normal can afford that much-- or to wait that long. I certainly couldn’t. So there’s… you know, stuff. And things. That I have to circumvent. In order to avoid those pitfalls.”

She rubs at the outside of her bicep awkwardly.

"I'm not... I don't know. I'm not kidnapping kids off the street, or anything. But... Team Rocket has a surplus of less-than-good people. And if some of the murderers and abusers disappear..." she trailed off, shaking her head. "And not all of it is involuntary. Some people come to me willingly-- people with terminal illnesses, people who want to try, people willing to make sacrifices for the good of progress. Hell, I use myself for a lot of things... but it's still too fine a line for... certain people I care about."

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2023 4:55:00 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
As Cygne spoke of , something melancholic yet loving drifted across El's expression. "Yeah, that... That sounds like him." They spoke - unable to help a chuckle of their own despite their sad smile. "He's wonderful." He was always so strong, so spirited, so clever... And to top it all off, he was kind.

They felt like they learned so much of themself from him, really.

The talk of prosthetics and augmentations initially had El's curiosity piqued, when it first began. But it was clear to see the way the light in their eyes petered out as Cygne explained herself. A mix of discomfort and upset cross across their face as she speaks about human experimentation - but El is quick to try and shove it down in lieu of just trying to listen.

It's the least they could do for her, at this point in time, right?

Yet, something in their eyes softens at the mention of those who came to Cygne willingly. For a moment, El's thoughts drift to their knee - and though the idea of fixing it had never really occurred to them, having long-since accepted their bad leg as a part of them... What if Cygne took a look at it? Would she be able to figure out a way to lessen the pain and discomfort it causes them - or better yet, trivialize the need for a cane completely?

What if they volunteered, too, to be able to help others like themself?

But, there was still the subject at hand of Cygne's morally grey methods - and they would give their thoughts on it more-or-less upfront. "I... don't think I can agree, with experimenting on living, breathing, people without their consent like that." They spoke - giving the handle of their cane a somewhat uncomfortable squeeze. Hold those people responsible for their actions, yes - but to just experiment on them... That was basically cruel and unusual punishment, wasn't it?

Glancing over to Cygne, they'd add "Those certain people are... probably worried you'd hurt yourself in the process of experimenting on yourself like that, too. The thought of it honestly worries me too, but..." Cygne was her own person too, at least, for as much as they didn't want to see others hurt themselves.
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,315 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 16:28:29 GMT
ana fell Avatar
El gives voice to the doubts and shadows that already occupy her mind. She bites back a sigh and her gaze drifts away. “Yeah, I… I know. Not many can.” She could go on to explain that she takes precautions-- she isn’t just cutting people open and harvesting organs awake on the table. They’re properly medicated or Psychically held catatonic, so they don’t feel it.

But that doesn’t really make it much better, does it?

“But such is the price of progress, I guess.”

When they go on to say that Cyg’s self-experimentation probably worries the people in her life, she shrugs.

“I don’t think anyone actually knows, yet.” She huffs a self-deprecating laugh. “That shows how close they’re looking, right?” A hand tugs through her hair. “Ah, what am I saying. It’s better that way.”

A tiny pink head noses through the foliage and Artie the shiny Furret ferret hops out to greet them, running his head along the underside of Cyg’s hand, demanding pets. She scratches behind his ears, thinking.

“Sorry. I know that’s a whole ass lot to put on your lap. I’m still… working out the details. It’s all a lot more espresso depresso than I feel like I want to be. But I also want to do good in the world. So.” She flattens her palm and tilts it side to side. “Finding balance. But I appreciate you hearing me out. And I appreciate even more what you did for Sima… that couldn’t have been easy.”

She was in many parts, after all.

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2023 0:40:23 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
Such was the price, she said - but was it a price really worth paying? Would others accept her help or augments, if they knew where it came from? El didn't appear all that convinced, but they didn't voice it, either.

Her self-deprecation, however, seemed to get a reaction from El. Reaching out, they took her hand and gave it another squeeze. "I know. And I worry." They emphasized, glancing up to her. "You might know what you're doing better than I do, but... It's not gonna stop me from worrying. Cause I care. And I'm sure the others would, too, if they knew. We can't fault them when, well... When it's all under your shirt like that, unless you tell them." The trailing at the end was paired with a sheepish hue - but the point was still there.

Artie's approach is met at first with a surprised blink - and then a soft smile. They join in giving him attention, with an idle little scritch.

Cygne's words would be met with a shake of their head, though. "It's okay - this talk took me by surprise, but... I expected to talk about stuff on the heavier side," Their gaze shifts meaningfully to Sima's grave, before back at her, offering a smile of reassurance.

Although, something else appeared to be on their mind. Namely, that of the experiments and augmentations. It takes a second for El to articulate what they want to say in their head - but when they do... "If... more people volunteered, you wouldn't need to... kidnap, people, to experiment on... Right?" They finally spoke up in question, glancing over to Cygne. "Cause... I'd like to help, if it means fewer people have to get hurt."
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,315 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2023 23:23:52 GMT
ana fell Avatar
El’s holding her hand again and schooling her in the basics of, like, common human decency, and not being a compliment fishing sponge. She smiles-- small, but real, genuine-- and nods.

Artie turns his tubular body, angling into the scratch. His back leg starts pawing at the air.

“If more people volunteered, sure,” she says, squinting into the space above the flowers, like trying to see an oncoming train far away in the distance. “But… there are a lot of steps, trials, snags.” She had, more or less accidentally, killed at least one guy… granted, he’d been a rotten thug who attacked and extorted the less fortunate, but he was definitely dead. It was better, Cyg thought, that he died, than someone like… well, someone like El.

“When I get a prototype that works and is safe,” she says, and her voice is firm, here, “I would love to help you out.” She doesn’t know exactly what it is that, for lack of a better term, is up with El, but she’d be down to take a crack at it. She’s building a new ankle… a lot of joints are similar, right?

“But as far as you throwing yourself under the meatgrinder that is scientific advancement, Iiiiiiii’m gonna hafta put the big kebosh on that one, bud.”

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 10:48:51 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
Perhaps that wasn't the best answer - cause something in El's expression shifts. They look down at Artie, but even trying to distract themself with a cute furret doesn't stop the feelings that well up - that of agitation and conflictedness. They fall quiet, tension in the way they grip their cane. Even Bibidi seems to be picking up on some sort of inner turmoil, judging by the faintly concerned gaze the Alakazam casts towards them.

It takes a good bit, before they finally find the words. "I just... I can't just let other people be hurt..." They murmured softly, a sense of empathy and subsequent pain in their voice. "Even if they're bad people - we're not all just... Judge, jury, and executioner all in one, right?"

And certainly, the option was there to stop Cygne herself - a small part of their mind acknowledged that. But would they be able to bring themself to do it, when she was apparently someone special to Blackjack? Someone who appears to be close to ?

Glancing back to Cygne finally, they add "It just... Doesn't seem right. For them, or for you." Cause while there were people who could hurt others without blinking an eye... Cygne didn't exactly strike them as being the same way. Especially if she was trying to find justifications for it, both for others and herself.

"This can't be the only way of going about it... Right?"
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,315 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2023 15:01:40 GMT
ana fell Avatar
“They’re awful people. They don’t deserve your compassion.”

Here is the divide between Cygne and El-- and even Cygne, and Isaac. A general worship of human life and expectation that everyone, regardless of mistakes or choices, be treated equal. Cyg does not share this same view. In her mind, you get plenty of chances, and, at some point, you go too far. People are inherently selfish and harmful and it makes the ones that aren't inherently vulnerable and special. People like Isaac. People like El.

Hypocritical? Maybe. But if anyone came for her, told her it was her time on the wheel, that her choices had landed her on the shitlist… she’d fight, yeah, but she wouldn’t defend herself.

“There is no judge, jury, or executioner. That’s the problem.” She licks her lips, chewing her cheek. “The problem is, bad people go free and sit and have power. People like . People like . People like . People like me.”

There. She said it. She doesn’t want a medal but she at least wants El to know she doesn’t consider herself above the curve. It’s a pompous sort of entitled self-flagellation, but.

She looks down at El, wondering then what she’d do if they decided to step in. To put a stop to her. Knowing she’d let herself get turned over to whatever League authorities might decide to answer the call before she hurt El, hurt Isaac.

Something shakes a bit inside of her. Was this a cry for help? Some weirdly brain-fogged way of asking El to stop her, wrapped and hidden in her mind to make it seem like it wasn’t? Someone, somewhere, was watching this movie and writing a defense post for her on Tumblr. For sure.

“Maybe not. But if I’m going to do anything that leaves a mark on the world and inspires real change, it’s the only way. I need bodies. I can’t just keep making prototype after prototype with no testing that just sit on shelves and collect dust. But I’m also, obviously, not a doctor. I don’t have licensing. I don’t even have real money-- that’s all blood money, too, basically. There’s no above-board way for me to go about this. Option C, then, is to just-- not do it. Which I can choose, I guess, but it seems like such a waste. When I have good ideas and good intentions that, in the long run, will do more good than harm.”

Sometimes, she thinks, in the voice of a character from one of her favorite movies, One must be sacrificed.

"What are the alternatives? They run free and continue to hurt people. Or they get caught and sit in jail where they either thrive under a broken criminal justice system or get pimped out in a chain gang of unpaid labor. The world is just bad and sometimes you have to take it and make of it what you can."

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2023 4:35:40 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
El opened their mouth to speak for a moment... Before quietly closing their mouth, something approximating pain flickering across their expression. They were conflicted. They were having a hard time immediately having a response to what was - all in all - a seriously heavy topic. How do you balance the options, when it's very well possible that the system could be as fucked as Cygne spoke?

And yet, even that being said... Things couldn't be left as-is, right?

Though Bibidi brushed over their mind, El would accept the touch - but didn't embrace it quite so readily. Their thoughts settled elsewhere - and though the deep breath they took to center themself was shaky, their brows still furrowed in some form of determination.

"That still doesn't make what you're doing right - it's not doing anything to improve any sort of bad in the world." They spoke, finally looking at Cygne once more. "That's cruel and unusual punishment - and I don't even imagine it's any sort of proper karma for even what half the people you've hurt have done. Which wasn't to say that it'd make it much better if it was karma, but...

"And even if others won't know it..." They trailed off for a second to find their words - before posing a question. "I don't think I'd be okay with having a new knee, if it took someone else suffering to make it, even if that someone was a criminal. And I don't think Isaac would be okay with a... A new eye, in those same circumstances, either. Would you?"

Leaving the rhetorical question hang in the air for a moment, El soon continued speaking. "I don't... I don't want to stop you. I don't want to have stop you. Cause I don't want to hurt you, or Blackjack or Isaac by extension..." Though, if their suspicions of Blackjack were right, then well... "... But I don't want to sit by and do nothing, after you told me all of this, either. So..."

They stopped once more here - visibly wracking their brain for something. They opened their mouth a second - closed it - before... "... I don't think I could make any promises. I'm still just a Rookie, but... Maybe I could find someone who is a doctor? Or at least, more honest alternatives for you? I want to do something, at least..." Just so that this strange trolley problem could be resolved without any more hurt...

The prior boldness they had shown in their speech seemed to leak out of them a little, now that they had more or less said their piece. They exhaled in a heavy sigh, fidgeted with their cane - uncertainty flickering on their expression now.
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights