kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2023 5:49:31 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"dogs, wolves, what's the difference?"

even kyle calls entei a dog despite it's feline features.

"do you think they'll care?" despite the wording, kyle's tone was curious instead of dismissive. "they seem like individuals who just wants to get the job done."

while he doesn't remember much of the dream, certain ideologies and impressions were still imprinted on kyle's head. zacian and zamazenta, for instance, felt like they only kept to themselves until it's time to act.

it reminds him of his own work ethics, which was probably why he felt for them.

"wait, you're starting to sound like a certain gym leader who wants to chase after a legendary pokemon!" he blurts out as soon as the thought enters his head.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2023 6:24:42 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Difference is, I don’t wanna be an avatar or fall on my knees before them.” He shrugs, trying not to think about Josh in too negative a light. There’s a lesson in what happened to him, for a man with the eyes to see it. [break][break]
You were a beat cop way before you were a Champ. You ever help out Vice? Arceus, man, the look in a horse head’s eyes. That’s what Thomas, Illeana, and all the other ex-avis I’ve met have. He wants to find something as strong as Yveltel, she wants to find Palkia. I dig the ambition but…” His voice has an uncomfortable cadence to it. “I don’t want that. I’d rather be strong enough be a champ without a god in my corner.”[break][break]
What a beautiful sky. He never saw a sky like this in Slateport, so full of stars, so full of light. Full of splendor. He wants to reach out and grab them.[break][break]
Funny like a joke…the more I think about it, the more I realize…what I wanna say to ‘em’s not too different from what I wanna say to you when I reach the mountaintop.

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.arties]font:11px roboto;--accent:#9efffe;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2023 2:18:38 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"would you say no if you get an offer?" he asks. "you know, out of principle?"

kyle had, even before the appearance of avatars became prevalent, but it was for a different ideology than pride or autonomy. all credit was lost the moment he took terrakion in years later, however.

he doesn't let his friend answer, moving on to the next topic before he gets forced to decide before the opportunity even comes to him.

"that's what i wish people recognized. partnership with a legend means nothing if there's no substance. at the end, you'd just be a puppet to their whims, and it wouldn't be as grandiose as they think it was."

kyle sighs before he readies his next smore.

"at least you can still preach it. it doesn't sound as sincere if it comes from an avatar, right?"

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2023 3:13:09 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

If I were in your shoes, I’d have done the same thing. Hell, practically everyone would. Big Bird and his kennel are way nicer than most things that go bump in the night.” He considers the ones he previously mentioned. Yveltel, the Tapus, and Palkia all sound like rotten deals in different ways.[break][break]
But to answer your question…if someone tossed me a heroin needle and told me to shoot up, I’d say ‘no thanks’.” He keeps a straight face until the sentence is out. “None of the greats had gods in the corner – the champs. You can look up all their footage. They’re all great in their own ways, and they don’t need anything ‘cept skill.”[break][break]
But…I think you turning it down like you did shows a lot of character. Consider that no one else we know about has told a god no. I dunno what I’d do if I was in front of one, Lopez. When you sit down and talk about maybe, everyone likes to think they’d stick to their guns. But…”[break][break]
He looks up at his friend, smiles, and bumps his chest.[break][break]
…I wanna think I’d do what you did. That’s what made you champ material.

[break][break]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 1:22:39 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"that was a different era, to be fair."

the stakes were lower. the only real threat had been actual humans tempting fate by poking the beasts, as opposed to today's gods actively going after them. it was the difference of him rejecting tapu koko and accepting terakion.

"also, stop. please don't go saying things like that. you're the type to find it difficult to go against their word."

kyle sighs.

"i was teasing, alright. once you become a key player on hoenn's game board, someone will notice you. better you than someone else taking the power, in my opinion."

in retrospect, kyle had figured that's how entei got him.

he prepares the smore as he briefly takes his attention off of navy. the roasted marshmallow goes to kyle's nth sandwich as he decides it's worth destroying his diet for the recent stress inducers he had faced.

"you're different. the way you show off your character isn't to force people to read between the lines, like they do with my actions. you fall under another archetype."

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 1:51:51 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Ain’t about archetypes or any of that. I’m just a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve.” He makes another smore of his own. After a meteor almost destroyed them all, he nearly let himself go. Gained twenty pounds. It was only a surprise call in the night that put him back on the right track. Chewing over the smore, he resolves to never get to that point again…[break][break]
…but damn if this thing isn’t tasty. Why crave things like esoteric power, authority, or even drugs when the world has pleasures like this?[break][break]
You know, I always wonder about that. If Gabe really understood what he’d be getting himself into if he did manage to take your spot.” He goes from friend to concerned parent so quick, fretting for someone long in their grave. “Being one of the big players here means…well, it means a lot of things. Gods pay attention to you. You end up a poster child for the League. I don’t like doing those TV interviews they like doing with gym leaders. Arceus knows how you feel, since you’re a household name.”[break][break]

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 3:16:41 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"that's exactly your archetype. easygoing, honest-to-fault main character who likes doing good but is so bad at keeping things lowkey. bonus points if you're oblivious to things. i don't even know how you found success as a private investigator."

he takes a moment to blow the steam off of his snack before continuing his tirade.

"and don't worry. he knows. he was ready."

that's why what happened to him happened.

he wasn't at the top, but he was above average. someone who has been with pokemon that long has to be.

"you've always babied him so hard, man. he was naive, but not that naive."

kyle attempts to take a bite out of his smore, but upon finding out that it still needed to be cooled down, he goes back to puffing at it.

"i think i'm just indifferent at this point," he answers, pertaining to the fame he now has. "and you don't need to accept all interviews, you know. are you accepting all offers? you have an option to say no, by the way."

maybe kyle was an exemption, cause he doesn't feel threatened about saying no to things with his current position.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 7:48:18 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

You read too much.” Navy says with a smile and cheeks hot from the fire. “If I paid to see a movie and the main guy was like me, I’d want a refund.” It’s not self-deprecation. Not wholly. “There’s loads of people in the League who seem like they’d be the main character, if this all guy made into a movie after the fact. Any one of your Elite 4. One of the kids like Eris or Hideo. List goes on.” Navy goes out on a limb at this point, assuming Kyle knows everyone in Hoenn.[break][break]
Or that girl that rolled up to my gym the first week it was open. . She’d make a good main character.” He’s dodging the point. He knows he is. There’s something to be said in there, about how he babied Gabe.[break][break]
…Turning down interviews is hard, man. Media’s really insistent.” He says, a greenhorn celebrity through and through.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 10:54:32 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"you got boring tastes," was all kyle can deduce from it.

he was never going to let this go. they have all the time in the world, and they are going to use it.

"being relatable is one big criteria for a main character, and only then do you mix it up with the fantasy. a lot of them have it around. they make for a good cast, sure, but not main characters."

he stuffs his mouth with the smore and walks over to a cooler they brought. kyle takes a can of chilled beer, tosses one to navy's direction, before taking his own.

a fizz marks the opening of the can on his hand.

"a lot of them are too perfect. the tragic backstory that built an over-the-top character is overdone. odds stacked against them and they still manage to power through? that's plot armor. boring. i'll take 'guy who can't say no to the media' over them, thank you."

a swig of the golden liquid breaks his whining.

"people like things simple now. that vanilla girl might make for one though, i'll give you that." it's even in her name.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2023 5:39:47 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Careful, Lopez. Careful now.” Leaning forward, arms crossed, Navy looks at his friend with a smug, self-satisfied smile. “You might just be pegging yourself as a main character if you put it that way.” Raising his fingers one by one, he starts naming points.[break][break]
A humble cop. A chill guy. Someone who wants nothin’ more than to finish work so he can go home to his loving husband. Someone who favors Hoenn’s local dog breed over somethin’ over the top like a Garchomp or Urshifu. The kind of guy you could have a beer with while shootin’ the shit over the future. We watch different stuff, but the overlap’s there on one point: the line between best friend and main character is thin. Maybe which way that coin lands is totally random. Maybe it’s the whims of the writer or Arceus himself.”[break][break]
He leans back again, sipping his beer. Navy tries not to crack a grin as he says what comes to mind.[break][break]
All I’m sayin is…they better get Clint Westwood to play me in the Kyle Lopez biopic.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2023 17:04:00 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"shit!"

navy does make a good point. stammered, he quickly pieces together an excuse he brings up on the spot.

"w-well, t-that's not r-really the norm out here on h-hoenn, right?"

he doesn't want to linger in the topic since his logic was used against him.

"you better hope i don't die a gruesome death first," he tells navy. "that's been a trend for hoenn's previous champions. i don't think they'll allow a movie for that."

in a way, navy's brother had fulfilled his dream of being similar to a hoenn champion by ending his story similarly. the intrusive thought, thankfully, passed as soon as the analogy formed.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2023 13:18:52 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Nah, nah, nah. See, that’s the best part.” Navy’s smile is the grinning smile of a shark. It’s reminiscent of Vortigern’s smile when the black dragon is in one of his playful moods.[break][break]
You already had your big death scene. Like Ho-Oh himself, you rose from the ash! Hoenn’s champion! In perpetuity!” [break][break]
A raised finger. A satisfied smile. The finger wags.[break][break]
Unless you help me talk Goode into letting you out of your contract after I’ve settled into my spot as Champion next year. A regular ole Champion, not top champ. Not that it much matters.” And, once more, he’s pensive. Leaning against his log. Serious as the heart attack waiting for him at the end of all those sodas, burgers, and s’mores.[break][break]
Whether you wanna be or not, you’re a legend yourself. If we survive long enough for the next generation to pop up, they’re gonna look at you guys like people back in the day looked at the heroes of the past. The ones that inspired all the video games, books, everything.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2023 17:18:48 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"ugh, don't remind me."

ho-oh's avatar rising from nothing and coming out on top is pretty in theme with the legendary pokemon itself.

"shit, my template's too good for the silent protagonist route. i'm too vanilla for my own good. this is my own undoing for not being interesting enough."

as soon as he finishes his can of beer, he pushes both of its sides with his palms and flattens it forcefully.

"oi, can you step up soon? champion rank doesn't matter since that limits your free time to wander around. we just need someone who's proactive, but at the same time, doesn't try hard enough. the tryhard part limits the dialogue options for the protagonist after all."

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2023 7:41:35 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

What d’you want me to do that I’m not doin’ already?” Were this anyone else, he might sound angry. Why Kyle, he’s amused as he asks the question. “I’m takin’ challengers left n’ right, diving into the Ultra Sea, fighting Rocket. Seems to me I’m doing everything I can do without an army. Which…” He contemplates his next words. He’s a war chief at best. No fit councilor. His star is rising one way, and one way only.[break][break]
…I mean, you get Goode to give me an army, I’m happy to march on Sootopolis.” It’s an idle fantasy. A daydream. One great conflict to end everything. Life doesn’t work that way, as much as he wishes it did. [break][break]
Is it easier for you to see people like they’re characters in a game, man? You miss all the little cracks that make ‘em so pretty if you see ‘em that way. …except the cowboy. The day we meet a silent, badass cowboy trainer, we both know we’ve met the real champ.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Campfire Stories [M]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2023 4:05:55 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"i'm just echoing what the masses say. i'm being relatable in my own way."

they always ask for more, but have no concrete suggestions that doesn't border fantasy. he's certain that navy will find himself dealing with it in reality rather than just from the hypothetical sooner than later.

"doing things the easy way is my brand, michael. what do you think?" he argues back. "i'm not a people person. this is how i cope."

he can deal with people, but it doesn't mean he likes doing it. he merely evolved due to the necessity of doing it, but he ultimately is an introvert who would rather only do things alone, or at the very least, with people he is close enough with.

"didn't i tell you i'm not really the most ideal champion out there?" being gabe's role model probably came from the fact that he was an officer of the law when his ideals were barely as such. "cowboy guy maybe one though. do you think he goes with a mudsdale or a rapidash?"