Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,819 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Seminar on the Rise and Fall of Unovan Dynasties [S]
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 8:09:21 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"And that is why the language written on the stone tablets recovered from Unova's Abyssal Ruins suggests that Dr. Anning's theory of a unified Unova has been considered obsolete, in favor of Sir Georges's idea that Unova had not once been completely unified until the Two Brothers unified the region in a historical event that shapes the region to this day." Howard Slayte said, hand on his hip as he tapped the projected image behind his head with his forefinger.

"This is the power of languages and communication. You may think it difficult to understand a new language now, in spite of all the efforts of translation apps that are provided to you. Think of how difficult it would be back then! An empire that cannot communicate with itself is one that cannot exist."

Howard checked his pocket watch and blinked in surprise. Time was truly flying. He snapped his fingers, rousing a few students from an elective-induced stupor. He couldn't blame them. Even he had been like that once. It was difficult to be in a learning mood all the time.

"All right, I can see a few of you are looking longingly towards the door. We'll take a quick recess and discuss the implications of a Pre-Brothers Unovas afterwards. Feel free to come up and ask me anything in the meantime. For those of you with Prof. Marco, remember that I'm required to sign you off for the extra credit in his course!"

As a few people filed out of the moderately filled room, Howard sat at the teaching desk and opened a binder to scan through some spreadsheets. Several of which belonged to Team Rocket, though they were innocently disguised as lecture dates. Howard looked up and gazed over the room, before clicking a pen and writing a few things down.

Team Rocket never stopped working, and so neither did he.

close tab

played by

lumity/jayfeather

axel
he/him/his
february 3rd
malie city
asexual
trainer
senior ranger
single
5’2” height
5’2” height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
240 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absalom
absalom steel
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2023 16:52:17 GMT
absalom steel Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blbqimg4"]

[attr="class","header"]WHAT DOESN’T KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER

[attr="class","setting"]

He loved college lectures. Maybe a bit strange considering his age. But he did. It was why when he had heard about this lecture he decided to attend. Just to see what the older male had to say.
[break][break]
Since he kind of stuck out considering his age he kind of kept to the back. He was the youngest in the room. Which wasn’t to surprising considering his age. He was only thirteen after all. Most people his age wouldn’t be able to keep up with the topic he was talking about. Not unless they had genius level intelligence.
[break][break]
So enamored with what he was talking about he didn’t notice time ticking away. It wasn’t until he brought up people looking towards the door that he thought to check the time. Looking at his watch he realized they had all been here longer than he had thought. Even so he couldn’t understand how anyone would be bored with what was being discussed.
[break][break]
Looking down at the notes he had written he flipped his notebook closed keeping his pen there to bookmark what page he had been writing on. Ignoring the people leaving he stood up and made his way up to the front. The lecture had made him curious. He had always been interested in old artifacts. May it be stone tablets with a written language or pieces of pottery. It made him wonder if more stuff of old Unova had been found.
[break][break]
Though for now he was focused more on those theories. He honestly didn’t know much about the history of Unova. He was also curious if maybe Unova could’ve been like Sinnoh at some point. Or old Sinnoh before it was Sinnoh and known as Hisui. That was just a thought.
[break][break]
”I’ve enjoyed the lecture so far,” he said once the older male had noticed his presence. ”What were the brothers names that unified Unova or where their names lost to history. I admit I am not to familiar with Unovan history.”[break]

[attr="class","oocnotes"] + ooc notes

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","milkcredit"]milky

[newclass=.blbqimg4]position:relative; --accent:#7d95be; --bgimg:url(https://i.postimg.cc/ryBLBRTr/IMG-1924.jpg);[/newclass]

[newclass=.blbqimg4 b]color:var(--accent); font-weight:none; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .setting]background-image:var(--bgimg); background-size:cover; background-position: bottom; height:150px; width:400px; margin:10px auto 20px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 a]font-weight:bold; text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .oocnotes]font-size:x-small;border-top:1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);padding-left:10px;padding-top:10px;text-align:justify;margin-top:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .header]text-align:left;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,819 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2023 4:13:18 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Hm?" Howard lowered his spreadsheets and tucked them away in his bag. "An excellent question. It's actually an ongoing debate in the historical community. Universities in Unova argue over it constantly. Whoever figures it out first would become a titan in the field. You've asked a good question! Here, maybe some visual aid would highlight the questions in mind."

The paleontologist disappeared behind his desk as he opened his bag and pulled out a sheet of paper. The scratch of his pen echoed through the lecture hall for a few moments. Howard spoke as he wrote.

"The simplest answer is one we shamelessly borrow from Sinnoh." Howard said, seemingly reading Absalom's thoughts. "It's the most intuitive one, and is popular with those who critically think about history as a whole. The theory is that Unova is named after the two brothers. A mixture of the two names. Hisuian scripts often mentions the concept of 'Sinnoh' in theological texts. The word stuck around and became the name of the region."

Howard stopped writing for a moment to glance at Absalom. He blinked once, as if noticing Absalom's youth. "You're either a savant, a prodigy, or you're not enrolled at this university. I think you might be the youngest person I've ever met who has attended one of my lectures."

That was true. Absalom was an exception to a rule. Howard had been giving lectures since he received his diploma, and Absalom was the youngest person to ever appear at one. That made him interesting. It also made him suspicious.

"What's your name?"

close tab

played by

lumity/jayfeather

axel
he/him/his
february 3rd
malie city
asexual
trainer
senior ranger
single
5’2” height
5’2” height
awards
240 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absalom
absalom steel
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2023 19:14:31 GMT
absalom steel Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","setting"]

So it seemed he didn’t really know the answer himself. The even some of the greatest scientists didn’t know that answer. Names being lost in history weren’t exactly uncommon but it did make him more curious. Just who were the brothers who had founded Unova. Perhaps it was something he could go over one day. Not now though. He couldn’t exactly go trekking off on his own to find answers.
[break][break]
Well he did learn better visually thanks to his eidetic memory so he nodded. While he drew up the visual aid he thought some more over what he had been told. It did put him a bit out that he couldn’t do anything more to discover something about the brothers. But for now the least he could do was listen to the theories that other people had come up with. It was a start at least.
[break][break]
Sinnoh. A region he knew more about. Thanks to his parents trips there. And yet it hadn’t been until he had come to Hoenn that he had learned about old Sinnoh or Hisui as it had been called. Back when Pokémon were still mostly wild and people were only just learning to form bonds with Pokémon. That was at least what he had gathered when he had been researching Mirage.
[break][break]
”I did read a bit on Hisui since I have a Hisuian Zoroark and a Wrydeer from what I gathered it was a tough environment to leave in back than. Perhaps Unova was the same way at one point in time and that’s why the brothers worked to unify the region. After all if it was a tough environment I feel safety in numbers would’ve been more paramount so they eventually would’ve realized fighting amongst themselves wasn’t the best answer,” he said frowning slightly.
[break][break]
If only people would still think that way. In his opinion they faced enough dangers from outside forces without fighting amongst themselves. But humans were notoriously selfish creatures. And there would always be those who wanted what they couldn’t have or had other selfish reasons for causing strife.
[break][break]
The older male’s voice pulled him out of his thoughts. He was honestly a bit surprised that he was only just bringing up his age now. When he hadn’t before he had figured he had noticed and just dismissed it. But it seemed like that wasn’t the case.
[break][break]
”I’m taking a few courses online but I prefer going to the lectures in person if I can make it. I’m also taking part in the gym circuit so sometimes finding time to come to a lecture can be hard,” he explained looking away. Talking about this kind of stuff flustered him, and he wasn’t sure why.
[break][break]
When Howard asked him about his name he turned his attention back to the older male. ”My name is Absalom Steel.”[break]

[newclass=.blbqimg4]position:relative; --accent:#7d95be; --bgimg:url(https://i.postimg.cc/ryBLBRTr/IMG-1924.jpg);[/newclass]

[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .setting]background-image:var(--bgimg); background-size:cover; background-position: bottom; height:150px; width:400px; margin:10px auto 20px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .oocnotes]font-size:x-small;border-top:1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);padding-left:10px;padding-top:10px;text-align:justify;margin-top:15px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,819 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2023 3:02:24 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Absalom? You have an uncommon name." Howard said conversationally, though the name sounded familiar. It didn't take long for him to remember a mission he had undertaken with , who had mentioned an Absalom. What a small world. However, this resulted in something ominous. If Absalom knew Sage was in Team Rocket, Howard couldn't mention him. He had been very careful keeping his identity secret from the League, after all.

It was best to treat him as a stranger for now. Later, he'd need to get in contact with Sage regarding this.

"I agree, yet conflict is something that we as a species have been experiencing for epochs. Before Unova was conquered and unified, for instance, it consisted of several kingdoms and states constantly fighting. We have excerpts of Abyssal Script that discuss a battle with a kingdom of dragon tamers from northern Unova, for instance." Howard tapped his desk in thought. "I would argue that what the two brothers did for the region was just. It prevented a lot of bloodshed in meaningless wars by simply conquering all of Unova. It led to a far more civilized region, which is reflected in cities like Castelia, Nimbasa, and Driftveil today."

His tone was an academic one, though Howard cared deeply for the lives lost in Unovan conquest, there was simply too much time between then and now for Howard to lament what occurred. All he could do was observe it from an academic perspective, and derive a conclusion as a result.

"Hisui is a different story. I believe they suffered an extreme theological difference that was ultimately miniscule, yet their eventual unification could only occur when under outside duress. Their differences were childish, and they were treated like children. They had to grow up quickly as a result." Howard chuckled and shook his head. "Apologies, I just thought of something amusing."

Absalom was taking the gym circuit? All these kids were outpacing Howard by a mile. Absalom was a prodigy, and in a few years, it was possible that he'd outpace Howard. What was it with Masky and his friends being talented. "I wish you luck on that endeavor, young man. You're outpacing me. Never got around to doing my gym challenge. I was never very good at it. How many badges do you have?"

close tab

played by

lumity/jayfeather

axel
he/him/his
february 3rd
malie city
asexual
trainer
senior ranger
single
5’2” height
5’2” height
awards
240 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absalom
absalom steel
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2023 17:20:12 GMT
absalom steel Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","setting"]

"I think I was named after a grandparent," he said with a shrug. "If you want, you can call me Axel. It's a nickname I go by," he offered the older male. Although it was obvious that it didn't matter what name he used. Adults, like his parents, preferred calling him by his given name, but some people preferred using his nickname. When it came to one's preference, it depended on the person.
[break][break]
He listened to the explanation and nodded. Humans had a notable history of bloodshed. There wasn't a time in history where there wasn't some kind of conflict happening. It was something he had always found annoying. Why people couldn't just get along, he didn't know. Surely everything would be better if people could just set aside their differences and work together.
[break][break]
But that wasn't the way things were. People were too busy being at each other's throats to get along. "Conquering another place usually doesn't work out for the better. Most of the time, it only brings more bloodshed. I suppose that's why I'm interested in stories of someone managing to pull something like that off for the better."
[break][break]
He understood where the older male was coming from. Sometimes one just had to look at the facts. However, some people would argue that he looked too deeply into things, which often got him into trouble by unintentionally hurting someone's feelings.
[break][break]
What he said about Hisui made sense, but he believed that regardless of the conflict, the people of Hisui would have been forced to mature quickly due to their harsh environment. He pointed this out, based on what he had read about Hisui.
[break][break]
As he discussed his schooling, he mentioned the gym circuit as a reason for not attending college full-time. The older male became fixated on this, likely due to his age, but he chose not to mention that younger individuals also participate in the gym circuit.
[break][break]
"Everyone has what they're good at. I have my strengths just as you have yours," he pointed out before continuing. "I only have one so far, but I'm getting ready to go for my second badge. I started a bit late since I had to get used to a new environment. I'm not originally from Hoenn," he explained.[break]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,819 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2023 5:13:47 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"One? Everyone starts somewhere, even if that somewhere isn't necessarily Hoenn. I have a feeling you're just getting started, Axel." The kid was young, and he'd only started. Like all kids, he'd eventually grow up and improve. Where that would take him, Howard did not know. Where were the kids he had known when he was younger? Where were they now? What were they doing?

Such a sense of nostalgia was pointless. They were all doing better than him.

Giving lectures, teaching people about history, that was what he enjoyed. Instead, he was making Team Rocket loads of cash while he sat in his apartment eating cup ramen. He could've joined up as a part of the League Circuit. He could've been a doctor, or something that made money. Instead he was with Team Rocket.

"Is that true? It worked in Unova. Different climates breed different types of people. Bloodshed is a vile, vile thing, but history books do not write about each spilled drop of blood. It's a lot more complicated than simply dismissing the art of war, especially back then. In a highly evolved democracy, such as one employed here in Hoenn, I believe you're correct. In a primal one? Perhaps not."

Tap. Tap. Tap. Howard's pen danced in his hand with surprising deftness.

"But that's enough about politics. That's an elective in class." Howard smiled. "Hoenn, Hisui, Unova. All different places. It's why we study them all, and not assume. Where are you from? Do you know its history?"

Howard turned serious for a moment, his hat slightly askew. Something glinted from underneath the bandages on his missing eye, but he quickly turned jovial again.

"It's important to know where you come from! That includes its history. You take it with you, everywhere you go. Culture, yadda yadda."

close tab

played by

lumity/jayfeather

axel
he/him/his
february 3rd
malie city
asexual
trainer
senior ranger
single
5’2” height
5’2” height
awards
240 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absalom
absalom steel
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2023 2:42:04 GMT
absalom steel Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","setting"]

As he talked about everyone having to start somewhere, he nodded in agreement. However, he acknowledged that if he had stayed in his home region, he would not be where he was now. He would probably still be shut away from the world, with the world going about its business without him. Even if that were not the case, he still would not have a gym badge to his name, as Alola did not have the gym challenge. Therefore, he was only where he was now because he had come to Hoenn, but he was not about to delve into that topic.
[break][break]
"You have a point. I wouldn't be where I am if I hadn't come here," he said with a small shrug. He was not fond of discussing his life before Hoenn, as it had been lonely, with no one to talk to other than his family. He knew that if he had stayed, his life would still be like that.
[break][break]
As he listened to Howard's explanation of the events that led to Unova's civilization, he nodded in agreement. It had worked out for the best for Unova, but that was not always the case when it came to conquering a place. Sometimes, it could lead to a dictatorship, although in Unova's case, it had saved many lives. However, sometimes death was the easier option, or so he had heard. Then again, he supposed he would not want to feel oppressed.
[break][break]
"I think in most cases, conquering another region would lead to a dictatorship," he said with a shrug. He did not have anything else to say on the subject, and there was no point in continuing the conversation. Some would say that kids should stay out of politics anyway, but being told that did not stop him.
[break][break]
Howard seemed to agree with him, and the conversation moved on. "I'm from Alola, which has no gym circuit. Instead, they do the island challenge. However, one cannot do the island challenge until they are eleven. I came here with my sister when I was ten, and my parents stayed back in Alola," he explained once he had finished speaking.
[break][break]
"I know the history of Alola. My schooling covered the history of Alola, but I also learned through independent study since I was moved up to more advanced stuff. I have an eidetic memory, so I ended up moving ahead of my age group. However, I was homeschooled, then moved on to taking classes online. So if there is something I'm lacking, it would probably be social skills. My siblings say my social skills are better when it comes to something I'm interested in, though," he explained before realizing he had been rambling a bit, causing his face to heat up in embarrassment.[break]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,819 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Nov 23, 2023 21:46:29 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"It's fine, seriously! Alola is a good field of study as well." Howard laughed and waved off Absalom's concerns. Sage had been right, the kid was smart. Sociability and intellect rarely correlated, likely explaining why most of Team Rocket's top minds had a conga line of issues when it came to interaction.

Team Rocket's leadership in general had a conga line of issues. It was like working at a university, except all the professors had guns.

"Hm..." Howard stared at Absalom thoughtfully, before nodding to himself. The archaeologist saw something there, but he was pleased with what he saw. The kid would go far, as long as he kept committing to his studies. Absalom reminded Howard of himself, just in a more advanced class.

Click. A pen rang out as Howard pulled a document from his briefcase.

"I'm going to write your credit approval now, and drop it by the registrar when I leave today." Howard scribbled a signature, and sighed. "Plus a statement of praise. Should make getting more electives easier."

The undergrad flashbacks were back. Class registration had been awful during his second year.

close tab

played by

lumity/jayfeather

axel
he/him/his
february 3rd
malie city
asexual
trainer
senior ranger
single
5’2” height
5’2” height
awards
240 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absalom
absalom steel
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2024 19:40:00 GMT
absalom steel Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","setting"]

As he mentioned Alola being a good field of study, he nodded. "My dad is a Pokémon professor there. Before I was born, he would often go abroad to do his research. I know he had gone to Sinnoh quite a bit. But after I was born, his trips to other regions became less and less, and now he just studies Pokémon in Alola."
[break][break]
There was always a part of him that blamed himself for his father's travels being put to an end. Perhaps if he had been born completely healthy, his dad wouldn't have had to put an end to his travels. After all, adopting his siblings hadn't caused any change in the way his parents did things. It had only been after he had been born that things changed.
[break][break]
Of course, he had never shared these feelings with his parents. He knew what they would say. That his father's work goals changing wasn't his fault. His parents walked on eggshells around him, so they definitely wouldn't allow him to keep blaming himself.
[break][break]
His thoughts were interrupted when the older male took out a pen and started writing something. Since he hadn't been dismissed, he figured it had something to do with him. Something that would be proven true when the older male started speaking.
[break][break]
Well, that was a nice surprise. He was about ready to thank the older male when he mentioned writing a statement of praise. Something that immediately caused his face to heat up in embarrassment.
[break][break]
"Thanks," he said once he had regained his composure.[break]

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,962 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2024 6:45:16 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: