Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,273 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 9:19:38 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","Navypog3"]
[attr="class","Navypog3-big-img"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-1"]
[attr="class","Navypog3-title"]
MORE HUMAN[break]THAN HUMAN

[attr="class","Navypog3-tagged"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-subtitle"]
WAKE UP[BREAK]
IN A NEW LIFE[BREAK]
DOWN BY[BREAK]
THE SEASIDE

[attr="class","Navypog3-pkmn"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-post"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-icon"]

Navy diving into Eternatus’s poisoned waters is nothing new. It’s his job. When he took up post as Dewford’s gym leader, he knew what he was getting into. He’d have to protect this town from the many dangers that leaked out into the realm of common sense.[break][break]
He’d asked for help. For his sins, he got it. Four of his Pokemon are dead. The two that remain are in critical condition. Vortigern, mightiest of his Pokemon, licks his wounds in his den. The after effects of dynamaxing leave him drained, fatigued, weakened. Hattori is in critical condition, his body burned black by Groudon’s lava.[break][break]
Who watches these watchmen? It’s supposed to be AQUA. Nominally, that’s why he joined. That’s why he needs Isaac in there with him. It’s why he feels terrible about the younger man’s impending induction.[break][break]
This gym feels awfully stuffy.” He remarks to Isaac, his eyes distant. It’s hard to find much to be mirthful about in the days since the mission into Eternatus’s core with Matias.[break][break]
Let’s get some fresh air, huh? Nobody else to watch you while I’m out, so you’ll have to come with me.” As always, he plays at humoring the League’s authority. Charged to keep its justice, he trusts no definition of the word save his own. Expecting Isaac to follow, he walks down to the beach. Gentle waves lap against the sand.[break][break]
Autumn is upon them. It’s the perfect weather to sit by the seaside. Pulling up a chair, he looks out to sea.[break][break]
Sorry I haven’t been a better host. Been busy. How are things with your new pal?” It’s a casual thing to call a legend, but irreverence has ever been his nature.

[attr="class","Navypog3-bot-1"]

notes about this post

Notes go here
[attr="class","Navypog3-bot"]

[googlefont=Poppins:700,800][googlefont=Hind:400,700][googlefont=VT323:400]
[newclass=.Navypog3]background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:25px;border:solid 3px #363636;border-radius:10px;width:500px;margin:25px auto;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right;}.Navypog3-big-img { height:0px;mix-blend-mode:lighten; }.Navypog3-big-img img { height:250px;width:325px;margin:-25px 0px 0px 200px;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px; }.Navypog3-1 { position:relative;min-height:400px;border-radius:5px;padding:34px; }.Navypog3-title { font:800 40px Poppins;line-height:35px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#d84545;width:165px;overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;letter-spacing:-.35px; }.Navypog3-title div { position:absolute;margin-top:-70px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:165px;color:#2b2b2b;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #eeeeee; }.Navypog3-title div span { display:block;margin-left:-165px; }.Navypog3-tagged { background-color:#272727;padding:0px 9px;height:28px;border:solid 1px #232323;overflow:hidden;border-radius:5px;margin:15px 285px 17px 0px;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:center;letter-spacing:.35px; }.Navypog3-tagged a { font:800 10px Poppins!important;line-height:28px!important;text-decoration:none;color:#999999!important;display:block;transition:.3s all; }.Navypog3-tagged a:hover { color:#d84545!important; }.Navypog3-subtitle { padding-right:285px;font:bold 10px Hind;line-height:10px;text-align:justify;color:#606060;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.5px; }.Navypog3-pkmn { margin:30px 0px 25px 0px;display:grid;grid-template-columns:auto auto auto auto auto auto;gap:10px;width:100%; }.Navypog3-pkmn div { border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#272727;height:60px;border-radius:5px;display:flex;flex-direction:column;align-items:center;justify-content:center;cursor:pointer; }.Navypog3-pkmn div img { display:block;transition:.3s all;filter:grayscale(100%) contrast(75%); }.Navypog3-pkmn div:hover img { filter:grayscale(0%) contrast(100%); }.Navypog3-post { color:#dbdbdb;font:12px Hind;line-height:19px;letter-spacing:.25px;text-align:justify; }.Navypog3-post i { color:#d84545; }.Navypog3-post b { color:#d84545;font:700 12px Poppins;line-height:17px; }.Navypog3-icon { float:left; padding:14px;border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#303030;height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:5px;margin:0px 25px 5px 0px; }.Navypog3-icon img { height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:3px;}.Navypog3-bot { height:109px;width:109px;padding:0px 0px 26px 26px;background-color:#2b2b2b;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px;margin:-110px 0px -25px -25px;display:flex;justify-content:center;align-items:center;color:#dbdbdb;font-size:45px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 { margin-top:30px;font:12px Hind;line-height:16px;color:#dbdbdb;height:75px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 h1 { margin:0px;border:solid 1px #232323;border-radius:5px;background-color:#272727;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;padding:9px;color:#d84545;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.35px;max-width:fit-content;margin-bottom:10px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div { height:49px;overflow:auto;text-align:justify;padding-right:15px;color:#a3a3a3;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #2b2b2b; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar { background:transparent!important;border:none!important;width:8px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color:#d84545!important;border:solid 1px #232323!important;border-radius:5px;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 14:41:49 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","topimage"]

[attr="class","textbox"]It turned out, even with the miracles of modern science and the powers of Pokemon, rebuilding a home took a long time. Who knew? While Isaac was able to pull some strings and request access to the former Fiorelli Floristry's location, it wouldn't be until after the winter months that the place would be liveable.[break][break]

Until then, he would just have to keep being Dewford's favorite freeloader.[break][break]

The change in perception he'd experienced had been palpable. When he was just a Rocket traitor, he felt on the outside looking in. League personnel tended to keep him at an arm's length, regarding him with suspicious glances. Some civilians went out of their way to ignore him. Others couldn't help but stare as he passed on by. While there were those who showed kindness, perhaps remembering the lighter shade of black he painted in, their sympathies came at an arm's length.[break][break]

Now it was different. He was a hero of the battlefield, appearing where he was needed most before disappearing like a mirage. He tended to the worn and weary and searched for the lost and hopeless. Whispers and rumors said he was seen beside gym leaders, head scientists, councilwomen, even the Champion himself. Was he a freeloader now? Or was he an honored guest?[break][break]

Both a paraiah and a hero. Both given no trust to be on his own and trusted enough to join AQUA's ranks. Isaac didn't pay it any mind. Despite everything, he was still himself.[break][break]

The same couldn't be said for Navy. The charm and warmth in his eyes had been torn away, leaving something hollow in its wake. He tried his damndest to not leave anyone worrying, but Isaac could see how much of a toll had been taken on his old friend. Was it from the battle for the resurfaced island? Or had it started earlier?[break][break]

In time, Isaac would learn. For now, he shot Navy that winning smile and followed in his wake.[break][break]

"Hey, don't sweat it. Figure once they've got a place marked out in Petalburg, I can stop mooching off you," Isaac teased. Until then, he got to commute through a sprint across the waves. It was fun! "Anything I can lend a hand with while I'm here?"[break][break]

Then came the question. Hoo boy, the question. If was right, it was slowly killing him. If he and ' experience with Kyogre was any indication, at least he could heal this world's wounds before he went. All of this hinged on the will of a patron, loving yet distant, who molded his growth and ensured what safety they could keep from afar.[break][break]

"Y'know, it's the funniest thing. Most days, I'm lucky to even steal a peek at them. But it always feels like they're here with me." Maybe it was the Pressure. Maybe it was the Infinity Energy that had replaced the blood spilled. "Feels like they're letting me figure all this out myself, instead of clinging to them all the damn time."[break][break]

"It's kinda nice."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] --color:#c4c067; [/newclass]
[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,273 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 18:00:16 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

WAKE UP[BREAK]
IN A NEW LIFE[BREAK]
DOWN BY[BREAK]
THE SEASIDE

You’re lucky.” There’s no jealousy in the words. Hollow though they seem, he’s grateful to Suicune for giving Isaac the space he needs. Suicune is a good soul. Idly, he wonders if Kyle’s path through the past few years would be different, had the champion chosen Suicune as his personal guardian. There’s no way to know. All there is, all they have, is the present.[break][break]
Known a few people before they got their new pals. Lots of ‘em are like clingy girlfriends, or overbearing dads.” Pulling out a cigar, he lights it up. Maybe smoking in front of a man who is now Suicune’s champion isn’t the smartest move he could make, but damn if he doesn’t need the smoke. Death makes a man forget certain courtesies.[break][break]
Lopez used to act like a side character in a game. Now he’s got this budding hero complex going on.” Which many would say he did, too. He doesn’t even have a legendary behind him to serve as an excuse. Where does that leave him?[break][break]
But that won’t happen to you, huh? Don’t let the college kids find out what you can do. They’ll ask you to fly to Unova, grab ‘em a real Unovan pizza, fly back.” At last there’s a bit of mirth. Dry stuff, but all the same it’s brevity.[break][break]
You finished signing all your AQUA paperwork yet? Must take a whole tree to make all those forms, even after they made some of ‘em electronic. After how you did up on the 105, they’re gonna have a hard time thinking ‘bout you like you’re some despicable turncoat.” He’d saved lives – both with his powers and his presence. Every willing, capable trainer is a boon unto themselves. It’s someone Navy doesn’t have to worry about. Someone he and those above him can trust to handle whatever theater of war he fights within.[break][break]
Navy muses dryly that he’ll probably take his kids, the ones he has in Hoenn, to see movies about this guy in a decade or two. Once more, he hopes they cast Westwood to play him in his bit role.

notes about this post

Notes go here

[newclass=.Navypog3]background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:25px;border:solid 3px #363636;border-radius:10px;width:500px;margin:25px auto;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right;}.Navypog3-big-img { height:0px;mix-blend-mode:lighten; }.Navypog3-big-img img { height:250px;width:325px;margin:-25px 0px 0px 200px;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px; }.Navypog3-1 { position:relative;min-height:400px;border-radius:5px;padding:34px; }.Navypog3-title { font:800 40px Poppins;line-height:35px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#d84545;width:165px;overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;letter-spacing:-.35px; }.Navypog3-title div { position:absolute;margin-top:-70px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:165px;color:#2b2b2b;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #eeeeee; }.Navypog3-title div span { display:block;margin-left:-165px; }.Navypog3-tagged { background-color:#272727;padding:0px 9px;height:28px;border:solid 1px #232323;overflow:hidden;border-radius:5px;margin:15px 285px 17px 0px;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:center;letter-spacing:.35px; }.Navypog3-tagged a { font:800 10px Poppins!important;line-height:28px!important;text-decoration:none;color:#999999!important;display:block;transition:.3s all; }.Navypog3-tagged a:hover { color:#d84545!important; }.Navypog3-subtitle { padding-right:285px;font:bold 10px Hind;line-height:10px;text-align:justify;color:#606060;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.5px; }.Navypog3-pkmn { margin:30px 0px 25px 0px;display:grid;grid-template-columns:auto auto auto auto auto auto;gap:10px;width:100%; }.Navypog3-pkmn div { border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#272727;height:60px;border-radius:5px;display:flex;flex-direction:column;align-items:center;justify-content:center;cursor:pointer; }.Navypog3-pkmn div img { display:block;transition:.3s all;filter:grayscale(100%) contrast(75%); }.Navypog3-pkmn div:hover img { filter:grayscale(0%) contrast(100%); }.Navypog3-post { color:#dbdbdb;font:12px Hind;line-height:19px;letter-spacing:.25px;text-align:justify; }.Navypog3-post i { color:#d84545; }.Navypog3-post b { color:#d84545;font:700 12px Poppins;line-height:17px; }.Navypog3-icon { float:left; padding:14px;border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#303030;height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:5px;margin:0px 25px 5px 0px; }.Navypog3-icon img { height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:3px;}.Navypog3-bot { height:109px;width:109px;padding:0px 0px 26px 26px;background-color:#2b2b2b;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px;margin:-110px 0px -25px -25px;display:flex;justify-content:center;align-items:center;color:#dbdbdb;font-size:45px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 { margin-top:30px;font:12px Hind;line-height:16px;color:#dbdbdb;height:75px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 h1 { margin:0px;border:solid 1px #232323;border-radius:5px;background-color:#272727;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;padding:9px;color:#d84545;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.35px;max-width:fit-content;margin-bottom:10px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div { height:49px;overflow:auto;text-align:justify;padding-right:15px;color:#a3a3a3;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #2b2b2b; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar { background:transparent!important;border:none!important;width:8px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color:#d84545!important;border:solid 1px #232323!important;border-radius:5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 18:24:38 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Hell of a way to talk about these guys. I bet a few people'd sock you for it." Some people revered legends to the pount of worship. Others feared and losthed them as if they were blights upon the world. To hear a legend referred to so casually would stun them. "Right on. People forget they're Pokemon like any other."[break][break]

They could do things no other Pokemon could. Big things. Drastic things. Powerful things. However, they were Pokemon all the same. To fall at their feet and follow their every whim would be like doing the same for Watson.[break][break]

The comment about got Isasc raising a brow. "Does he? Guy seemed more burned out to me than anything." With a shrug, Isaac looked toward the horizon. If he squinted, he could see those distant shores, if only in the folds of his memory. "Reckless. Didn't blink when I told him I was a Rocket. Did whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted on our run together."[break][break]

"He seemed more bummed than anything when the payload we found didn't stave off 's powers. Like he was hoping, for once, it wouldn't come down to more magic bullshit." Two and two made four. Isaac turned to Navy, curious. "You think that complex is cause he wants to be a hero? Or because he's not sure who else can be?"[break][break]

"Maybe that's why we're in AQUA. Maybe we're the shake-ups he was hoping for."[break][break]

In a world of big, important people with big, important egoes and big, important Pokemon, the two stuck out like sore thumbs. A traitor who came from nothing with an often-absent partner, and a man whose only legend was ths grit and spirit he possessed. They broke the mold, and with it the stagnation that plagued the League as this war took its toll.[break][break]

The jokes were brief and the paperwork was immense. Isaac would trade the two in a heartbeat, but at least they shared them with each other. "Two trees for me. Knew living off the grid would come back to haunt me sometime," Isaac admitted. "But it's kinda nice not being some kinda ghost anymore. I'm here, and the world's gotta deal."[break][break]

Unfortunately, not everyone agreed. With a sigh, Isaac skipped a rock across the waters. "Not everyone sees it that way," he said, remembering and 's words all too well. "I'm gonna be painted with that brush for the rest of my life. And I've only got myself to blame, when I'm the dumbass who painted it on."[break][break]

"Some people are gonna forgive me like nothing happened. Others are gonna carry that grudge 'til the day I die. But, hey. That's on me to figure out."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,273 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 18:51:05 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

WAKE UP[BREAK]
IN A NEW LIFE[BREAK]
DOWN BY[BREAK]
THE SEASIDE

Guess it’s easy when you see the world in black and white.” He envies the purity of those morals. There are those who will call certain acts evil. They will always be evil to them, no matter what other colors paint the canvas. That’s an easier world to live in, he supposes, but the sheriff has been exposed to too much grey.[break][break]
He really is a terrible cop.[break][break]
Once a Rocket, always a Rocket. Helps them keep their guard up, sleep at night, feel good ‘bout the fact they picked the right side first.” He tries to keep the scoff out when he says those two words. It’s a good effort, if futile. Seeing the world in full, living color means seeing the dark spots blotching the good guys, too.[break][break]
They don’t get what this war’s about. It’s a war of ideals. If the League wants to win, they’ve gotta be better than Rocket.” There’s something cold, analytical in his eyes when he glances at Isaac. “Suicune or no, the smart play would be to jail you up. Treat you like Rocket would. The smart move’s not always the right move. People like some of my buddies up at HQ think showing compassion’s showing weakness – that doing the right thing’s weakness.”[break][break]
His eyes gaze back out to sea.[break][break]
If someone did what you did, mistaking compassion for weakness, I’d show ‘em strength. I’d love for Quinn or Delarosa to try that stunt.” A hint of a dragon’s fierceness leaks into his voice. Vortigern’s influence again.[break][break]
There’s at least one of those gods at HQ that needs that lesson. Real bad.” And, at last, he hints at the heart of the matter.

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 19:25:09 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]Ugh. Isaac couldn't stand that black and white mindset. He scoffed in tune with Navy, almost amazed their minds lined up so well. "Bullshit," he said. "When a big chunk of this region's shacking up with the guys breaking Kanto, we gotta look in the mirror and ask what's up."[break][break]

We. Because as much as his path wavered, he too was one of Hoenn's sons. He had been part of the problem, and now he'd be part of the solution.[break][break]

That said, he and Navy didn't always see eye to eye. At the mention of locking Isaac up being the smart thing, he shrugged. "Believe me. There's a dozen way smarter, way crueler things they could do. Use me as a propsganda piece and throw me in some kinda suicide squad, maybe. That way they get to have their cake and eat it too."[break][break]

"Nah. Locking me up's the easy thing. Path of least resistance and all that. They don't even have to pull the trigger. Just turn the lock and "forget" about the key." He hated to admit it, but he owed his life. Un spite of everything, he gave Isaac more of a chance than that.[break][break]

Maybe, now that the dust settled, they could have a proper talk.[break][break]

As Navy mentioned smart plays and right plays, strengths and weaknesses, Isaac found himself remembering curled up in his arms. How did two very different people get stuck on that same question? It was a funny universe sometimes. "You're right. Compassion's not a weakness. It's a weak spot. But if it's love that gives you the strength to keep going, then ignoring it's like trying to fight with your hands behind your back."[break][break]

" 'Sides. If you ask me, Rocket wants us dragged down to their level, anyway. Gives their propaganda team an easy time."[break][break]

They'd have the rest of this war to unpack the Rocket thing. Right now, Navy had something else, something deeper, weighing on his soul. "I'm sensing a story here, and not one either of us'll like." It was an invitation couched in neutral words. It'd be on Navy to take the Tauros by the horns and share this one.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,273 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2023 1:48:57 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

WAKE UP[BREAK]
IN A NEW LIFE[BREAK]
DOWN BY[BREAK]
THE SEASIDE

Arceus, I don’t wanna tell you this.” He says with the reservation of a man about to tell all. “’Cause I know when I do, you’ll wanna help.” Even a discount detective can spot a good heart. It shines brighter than everything around it. It lights the way. Golden hearts have a terrible habit of being snuffed out too soon.[break][break]
Lost a good chunk of my team before the battle. Wish I could say they died some noble death.” Standing up, he paces. It helps the blood to flow. Reminds him that, despite everything, he’s alive. Whether he should thank Arceus or Kyle for the miracle, he doesn’t know.[break][break]
They died ‘cause ’s gone batshit. Tried to strike Eternatus’s core with Groudon. Every Pokemon I had with me ‘cept Vortigern and Hattori died.” Another pause. Hattori laying in critical condition weighs heavy on his soul, but it’s second to another burden.[break][break]
Ironsides died, too. First Pokemon I ever caught, back when I was fifteen. Kept him a secret from my dad. He’s been there for me…shit. Thirty years, counting Galar. And that bastard killed him. Didn’t think fuckin’ twice about it.” The tears make him feel weak. Small. Like he’s that kid who couldn’t fight back against his dad, who could only take what others dished out.[break][break]
And there are people who protect him. Hell, reading back the minutes from that meeting, the same one where Kouji nearly killed Eris ‘cause all the people who were supposed to defend her were huffing their own stink, some of ‘em wanna drop him on Sootopolis.” His eyes betray the horror of that.[break][break]
Rocket’s gonna fuckin’ win if they do that, Isaac. It don’t matter if we take the city back. We do that, we’re gonna lose this region’s soul. We’ll be just as bad as them. Everyone’s so damned focused on winning that they don’t—” He grinds his teeth.[break][break]
They don’t give a shit about people unless they’re avatars, and they don’t care about Pokemon unless they’re gods.

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2023 2:57:04 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]The second those first tears gathered in Navy's eyes, Isaac pulled him in for a tight, protective hug.[break][break]

Time and time again, Navy had protected him. When he was effectively a fugitive with nowhere to go, Navy was there to let him heal at Dewford's hospital and crash in Dewford's gym. When he was attacked, both in the the hospital and in the middle of his gym challenge, Navy had been there to fight first for him, then by his side. Even when League officials came to give him his dressing-down, they surely had to go through Navy first.[break][break]

Now, it was Isaac's turn. He may have been smaller than Navy; in size, in spirit, in age, in renown. That didn't stop him from clutching him close all the same, goading out the tears that Dewford's finest son tried to keep from the world. "There ya go," Isaac said, voice quiet enough to avoid cutting him off. "Let it all out."[break][break]

The mention of Ironsides, in particular, hit hard. By now, it had been over a year since Kiryu's death. She lived on in spirit through Neo, through Akane, through the Sygna Suit she never had the chance to attune to. He no longer had a doubt in his heart that he'd made her proud. The pain that came from remembering her had largely faded, giving way to a fond warmth that would never die.[break][break]

Even then, Isaac understood. For a bond like that to end in thoughtless seconds was enough to shatter even the strongest man.[break][break]

Unfortunately, the strongest men didn't have time to grieve for themselves. They had to hold themselves together for the weakest; the hopeless, the forgotten, the lost, the damned. Those same people were the ones in more danger than ever. What Isaac feared had come to pass. The League had designs on Sootopolis, and the means through which they planned to do so were more terrifying than he expected.[break][break]

"I saw what Kyogre can do off its leash," Isaac said. "It could throw me around without even trying. Whip up enough water to flood the eastern seaboard with a thought. Suicune and I put all our power into trying to calm it, and it lasted maybe five minutes. We didn't stand a chance. We had to bail before-" Okay. He didn't need to know that much.[break][break]

"Think, Navy. That's with us having, what, 90% of its orb locked up tight? Now imagine Groudon, giving 0% of its shits."[break][break]

They both saw the same win condition for Rocket. The League would be dragged down to nothing, a shade of its former self. Even if they didn't survive to see their handiwork, they would have reduced Hoenn into another dystopia. It was all because the League took one look at its wayward sons and decided to drop the lovechild of a god and a nuke on top of them.[break][break]

"That can't be true." Isaac refused to believe it. Matias, sure. Rocket's propaganda wing might as well have had a framed picture of him on the wall, for all the good he did them. But how on earth could the rest of AQUA consent? , one of the kindest souls he'd met. , who was sick of seeing his home made into a playground of gods. , whose strength of conviction was ironclad. Even the Commissioner, a sweet and thoughtful woman backed into a corner by this nightmare she inherited.[break][break]

"There's no way," Isaac insisted, even as nervousness bled into his voice. "They . . . they gotta care. At least, most of 'em do. But . . . fuck, man. It feels like the lower Rocket stoops, the deeper the League sinks to try and match them. And if this arms race keeps going, what the hell's gonna be left?"[break][break]

"We can't let this happen."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,273 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2023 7:26:49 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

WAKE UP[BREAK]
IN A NEW LIFE[BREAK]
DOWN BY[BREAK]
THE SEASIDE

It feels good, to hold someone. He wishes Isaac had been there when he was a kid. He wishes anyone had been there. When his father made him feel small and powerless, the same way Groudon did, he wishes he’d had a soul to comfort him. Leaning is foolish when you stand on the edge of a cliff.[break][break]
But now, he leans. Someone will talk, but Navy finds he doesn’t care. It feels so good to be close to someone, to have someone act like they understand. He grips Isaac with the ferocity of a man afraid if he lets go, he’ll never see the man again.[break][break]
No. No, we can’t.” At last, he wills himself to let go, wiping the wetness that leaks from his eyes away. “This whole thing’s fucked up, man.” Those words he’s said for years. He’s spoken them in speakeasies and in halls of power. He shoulders the people around him lest they be crushed beneath the march of history.[break][break]
Maybe some care. Maybe they’ll start caring less. The fact they even considered it…” His lips tighten into a grimace. Once more, his eyes find the sea. He imagines it on fire amidst a fleet of Rocket warships. Ruined though his left hand is, it finds the strength to ball into a fist along with the right.[break][break]
...I hate that you gotta be a part of this. Feels shitty, forcing you to be in AQUA. They’re all probably nice people outside that room, but gather all the most powerful people in Hoenn in one place, they turn shitty. Worst versions of themselves. That’s just how it goes.” He turns back to Isaac.[break][break]
Wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy, but I need you in there with me. Need all the help I can get. If we let that psycho bastard have his way, we’ve lost.

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 1:31:26 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]With how Navy slumped against Isaac and held on for dear life, Isaac was almost afraid they'd hit the sands. It'd be a cold day in hell before he let that happen. Instead, he braced himself against him, a pair of broken monoliths refusing to let the other falter.[break][break]

"It is." No buts to it. The world was a mess, and wanted them to be the ones to inherit it. Really, Isaac knew it wouldn't go that way. Maybe was right, and Suicune would kill him before he had the chance. Maybe he wouldn't be so lucky, and the slow war would do it instead. No, no. At the ripe old age of 23, a normal life had already passed him by.[break][break]

, , . He'd just have to hold the world together until they could inherit it.[break][break]

"War hurts. Even if your body's fine, there's gonna be scars upstairs." How could anyone spend day after day rallying against an enemy without that hatred taking a toll on their brain? If the hate didn't do it, the guilt would. The weight of the world was on their shoulders, and it was enough to crush the gods themselves. Did men have a chance?[break][break]

What about men that have already been scarred by gods?[break][break]

"Hey, don't sweat it. I volunteered. Kinda." Sure, Kyle had asked, but Isaac jumped at the call faster than the champ had expected. "We both know I fucked up. A lot. Only fair I take the time to try and set things right, yeah?"[break][break]

"Y'know. It's funny. I could probably coast on that and put all that struggle behind me." Nobody in their right mind would think to be at the throat of an AQUA member. Chosen by gods, and chosen by Goode, if they wanted to throw their weight around the system was rigged to give them the chance. "But, c'mon. You know me. I'm not just gonna coast."[break][break]

"I can't let myself forget why I'm here."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,273 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 17:50:55 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

WAKE UP[BREAK]
IN A NEW LIFE[BREAK]
DOWN BY[BREAK]
THE SEASIDE

He wants to smile, throw in a thumbs up. Leave it all to me he wants to say. I’ll handle Matias. You just rest.[break][break]
He can’t. Arceus help him, he can’t.[break][break]
Then I need you to do what you were gonna do anyway. Have my back in the AQUA meetings. If there’s a big battle between the League, or if anything else comes up, be ready. We need people ready to take him down if he decides to hurt people.” His eyes drift around the beach. No one’s there. This is one of the very few places in Hoenn where he can be certain no one’s watching or listening. Hattori helped with that.[break][break]
When, and it’s a question of when, the League tries to take back Sootopolis, we gotta be ready. He’s gonna go crazy.” Which is about as far as he gets before, again, the grief feels too real. This time, it manifests in a hard kick of his foot against the sand. A small dust cloud gets kicked out to sea. Sadness turns to anger.[break][break]
Fuck, man! And people think these are supposed to be the good guys. No damn wonder they can’t get Rocket to go away. Every damn time the League does something, they give Rocket’s propaganda machine more dirt.

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 18:38:45 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"If things get crazy, I might be able to help."[break][break]

Isaac took a step back, finally parting from Navy's embrace. His fingers wiggled at his side, like a ranger reaching for the big iron on his hip. His eyes focused on some distant point far beyond the horizon. His breaths first grew sharp and terse, then began to roll out smoothly.[break][break]

He'd only done this once before. There, he had far more backing him up than his own power. Suicune's seemingly endless reservoir of energy flowed through him, their bond erupting the dormant spark of his power into something far greater. Mesprit, a living emotional conduit, let those powers resonate in a way that could even touch legends. Finally, had been there to inspire him, because she believed in him like nobody else.[break][break]

Oh well. It was all the more reason to try. Isaac squeezed his eyes shut and raised his hand to the sky.[break][break]

Colors began bleeding off of his outstretched hand. Wisps of blue, green, and yellow licked at the sky like tongues of flame. For a while, this was where they remained, seemingly struggling to part from Isaac's body. He dug in his feet, looked to the sky, and shouted. Was it a war cry? Or was it a plea to the universe?[break][break]

As he did, the colors streamed off from his hand and everything became clear. This was no aura. This was an aurora, Suicune's power and Isaac's hopes and dreams painting themselves across the sky. Calmness, compassion, and courage bled down from the heavens, filling the hearts of all who looked up to behold it.[break][break]

A shame Isaac couldn't stand to benefit from it. The poor guy crumpled to the ground, clearly not used to exerting his power to this degree.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,273 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2023 13:13:46 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

WAKE UP[BREAK]
IN A NEW LIFE[BREAK]
DOWN BY[BREAK]
THE SEASIDE

His eyes are fixed upon the aurora. Even amidst this artificial winter, it is a rare sight. Colors dance across the air. They trace a path upwards, stirring a memory buried deep.[break][break]
He remembers an adventure that damn near killed him. Only once in his twenty year stay under a poisoned sky did the pale rider dare venture into the crown tundra. It almost spelled his doom. A terrible poisoned blizzard took him by surprise, trapped him in the dark, alone. He huddled by Valkyrie, the king’s Spectrier, and there waited for the blizzard or his life to break. It was cold, miserable work. He felt lost. Thinking of home.[break][break]
There came a day when, at last, the winds died. Venturing out, he saw it was night. There, for one of only a handful of nights, he saw a clear sky. The same aurora borealis seemed to dance across the sky. He feels now what he felt then. Not compassion, courage, or valor.[break][break]
Hope.[break][break]
It liberates Navy from despair, as it did long ago. It turns anger into acceptance. Acceptance that the past can’t be changed. They died, and they died loving him. If he falls here, crumples, cries, more people will die. For all he knows, Isaac could have to fight that monster alone.[break][break]
And hope must never ride alone.[break][break]
Woah there.” He sweeps upon Isaac like some wild, protective thing. Catching him while he falls, it soon feels like they’re sharing another embrace.[break][break]
Don’t overdo it for me, Isaac. That’s my job. You good?” He asks with that old familiar concern.

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2023 14:16:16 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"S'my job now too, isn't it?"[break][break]

It was everything Navy would have hated to hear. However, between the proud yet weary smile on Isaac's face and the light of the aurora backdropping him, would it feel like a surrender? Or would it feel like someone who knew the risks, the truth, and the pain they brought, but bravely stepped forward anyway?[break][break]

"We're in this together. So I'm doing my part, too." There was no room for negotiation there. Isaac had made up his mind. He made it up the day he was told he'd died, and yet pushed on in spite of everything. At the same time, he was no lone wolf. He was here fo let Navy in, not push it away. "I'm not letting you mess yourself up trying to shoulder it all again."[break][break]

" 'Sides. Better I overdo it for you now, where it's safe," he pointed out. "If I can do this, I need to be able to stick it out when it counts. Practice like this is what's gonna keep me from choking in the heat of the moment." In that sense, the aurora that held firm even as Isaac crumpled wasn't just his gift to Teddie. It was his spirit given form.[break][break]

The King of the Aegis had become the Lord of the Aurora.[break][break]

"I'm okay, though." Now that the initial exertion passed, Isaac began to shudder back to his feet. Navy's support helped. If they held firm like this through AQUA's meetings, perhaps 's two iconoclasts would be capable of bringing the change he yearned for after all. "Just a little wiped. Used this power before, but never like this. Not alone, at least."[break][break]

"How much do you know about the Lake Guardians?"

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,273 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Doubt by the Seaside
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2023 17:04:04 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

WAKE UP[BREAK]
IN A NEW LIFE[BREAK]
DOWN BY[BREAK]
THE SEASIDE

They’re in this together. Them’s the breaks. It’s up to them. The avatar and the gym leader. A thought occurs to him, as it has many a night since his battle with Matias. Need he be just a gym leader?[break][break]
A discussion for later. Isaac stops Navy in his tracks with a haymaker of a question. His eyes hide the shock of the question. Eris was one of Isaac’s most fervent defenders. It stands to reason he’d know her little secret. Given how tight Eris and Hideo are, and how well travelled Isaac is, he goes out on a limb and assumes Isaac knows about Uxie as well. They share a secret, then.[break][break]
Know enough to know I don’t want AQUA figuring out who their human pals are.” His voice is stern, but it’s a sternness at the world. He’s already adamantly made the point to that the League does not conscript. Twisting arms is Rocket’s game. Yet still…[break][break]
He thinks about Jirachi, unloved in his cute little room. Right next door in his mind is Eris, kept in the world’s cutest, comfiest observation room while smiling men tried to determine whether she knew her father was defecting. Hope spurs him to think that he could persuade Dahlia to let Mesprit and Uxie stay with their friends, but a nagging thought occurs: he’d be taking away Eris and Hideo’s agency.[break][break]
And I know their human pals think the world’s gonna end if they don’t find Azelf. Besides that? All I know’s that whatever gets between them and Azelf, I’ll punch. If I can’t punch it, Vortigern can handle it. It’s alone, injured. Probably scared.” A notion that doesn’t sit well with him. “Wish I could help them find him.

notes about this post

Notes go here

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights