She/Her
March 6th
Nimbasa City
Asexual
Ultramodernist
Executive
5'7 height
5'7 height
Look to the future, see in it everything you've ever wanted. Now find the strength to grab it.
awards
514 posts
part of
TAG WITH @flood
Xenon Antheil
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2024 9:54:05 GMT
Xenon Antheil Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","xenon"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]

There were many things that Xenon excelled at. She was a genius scientist, an brutal fighter, a masterclass Pokemon Trainer, she could read and write in five different dialects, one could go all day if they wanted to list all the things Xenon was good at. At least that's what she claims.
[break][break]
But if there was one thing she was not good at, it was managing money. Indeed, Xenon Civitas Antheil had no idea how to balance ledgers or even maintain a reasonable personal budget, often blowing through her entire monthly stipend in a matter of days and forcing her to either steal other people's food or procure some money for herself by shaking down a business or two in the name of Rocket.
[break][break]
This then presents a problem, as she's found herself in the precarious position of owning a nightclub, a nightclub that she had barely pulled out of the red with a great opening night, but a nightclub that she earnestly had no idea how to manage financially.
[break][break]
Hence why we find ourselves here today within the High Offices of the Rocket Submarine, where a very disgruntled looking Xenon is pacing back and forth outside of Howard Slayte's office debating on whether or not she really wants to go so low as to ask This man for help. She didn't necessarily have anything against him per se, it's just that...
[break][break]
Well she just didn't respect him.
[break][break]
Every other higher-up she had had the pleasure of personally meeting at least had strength. was the Avatar of a shadowy legend, was skilled enough to meet her in hand to hand combat and even force a tie, had fought alongside her against the digital approximation of that damnable phoenix and was key in their victory. But Howard? Howard was a pencil pusher, he was a bureaucrat, he was a rule keeper, a dusty old tome of a man whose head was stuck in the past.
[break][break]
The woman who's eyes were locked to the future couldn't respect a man who was stuck in the past, especially not one who didn't even have the strength to back up his views. But today she would have no choice as she sighs and knocks on Howard's office door, laptop tucked under arm with all her financial records. This was the only guy who knew how to actually run a business apparently.

[attr="class","ooc"][break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.xenon]--accent:#a0a4a9;[/newclass]
[newclass=.xenon]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon a"]color:var(--accent);font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon h1"]font:800 18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon h2"]font:800 16px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon .text b"]font:bold 12px Montserrat;letter-spacing:.1px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon .ooc b"]font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,738 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2024 21:19:30 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Howard never went to business school.

Spoiler alert.

His father worked at Devon Corp, and his mother ran a successful chain of jewelry stores. They had been far better at being successful than their good-for-nothing archaeologist son who could barely scrape government grants. Yet he had been in his mother's store, he had watched, learned, and unknowingly sponged up information for himself.

During his travels across the world, he had met customs officers, liars, thieves, tomb raiders, and people who traded morals for money. Black market connections from Unova to Orre had helped him make money for Team Rocket. Now that he sat in his predecessor's seat, that money had doubled.

Rocket was simply a business that did not abide by the laws of Hoenn. It was, in a sense, free. That was something Xenon could understand. She reveled in the freedom to do what she wanted.

"I'm impressed you've kept this together as long as you did." His eye flitted from a stack of ledgers to her. His office was filled with skeletons, urns, and other pieces of tech. Uniquely, there was not a single piece of technology in the office. There was no computer, at least. "Not bad, Xenon."

The idea of Xenon sitting in front of ledgers and balancing checkbooks made Howard want to snicker. She was composed until the heat of battle overexcited her. Howard never got to see that, though. By the time she snapped, he was long gone. The exception was when they had warred against Kyogre.

She had performed admirably, but he wouldn't tell her that. Half the time, he wanted to punt her off a cliff.

"How'd you get the nightclub? I never thought you were one for real estate." He leaned back in his chair.

close tab

played by

Flood

X
She/Her
March 6th
Nimbasa City
Asexual
Ultramodernist
Executive
5'7 height
5'7 height
Look to the future, see in it everything you've ever wanted. Now find the strength to grab it.
awards
514 posts
part of
TAG WITH @flood
Xenon Antheil
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2024 8:02:43 GMT
Xenon Antheil Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","xenon"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]

Let it be known that even she wasn't immune to a little bit of good old fashioned flattery every now and then, her chest puffing out just the slightest as Howard compliments her incredible capability to do the bare minimum in holding a business together for a month. Truly she was a financial powerhouse if there ever was one, except she wasn't which was why she was here in the first place to ask for help with this crap.
[break][break]
"Well you know, I think I've done pretty well for someone with no formal schooling. Not to brag or anything, but I AM kind of a genius." A beat passes as the girl processes what she just said, her face grows stone cold as she steeples her fingers in front of her face. "You didn't hear that. Moving on."
[break][break]
Just how did she obtain such a lucrative piece of property? "I engaged in very serious negotiations with a man who was very deep in debt with Rocket. It was an intense transaction, we were all very invested in making sure that everyone got out with everything owed to them, especially me." Her lips quirk up a bit as she withholds a laugh at the memory, leaning back in her chair and looking at the ceiling. "But at the end of the day he decided to give up his wonderful little club in exchange for both... one, of his kneecaps. Yeah, it was just the one I left him with." Xenon nods to herself firmly, pushing her leg against the floor and spinning the chair around in a circle.
[break][break]
"But none of that shit matters, what's past is past I always say. What's much more important right now is how this place can turn a profit." A beat passes as Xenon continues spinning in her little chair, her genius intellect working hard on the numbers she had given Howard and just how to make all those red numbers into nice black ones and zeroes. Her leg kicks out against the ground again and her momentum halts, the look on her face can only be described as utter exhaustion as she looks anywhere but those damn papers. "I'm only going to say this once, if you ever tell anyone I said this I will deny it and I will break half of the bones in your body regardless of your status as my boss. I have no idea how the fuck businesses make money." Okay she understood like, the vague implications of how a business made money. You sell stuff to people who want to buy stuff right? What she didn't understand was all the steps that came before that selling stuff or how to most efficiently get people to buy the stuff or how to get people to come to your business so they can buy the stuff or what the Stuff even was that a club sold.

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.xenon]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon h1"]font:800 18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon h2"]font:800 16px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".xenon .text b"]font:bold 12px Montserrat;letter-spacing:.1px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,738 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Feb 2, 2024 9:07:22 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
A flicker passes on the admin's face, an acknowledge of Xenon's threat. He'll keep it and be cowed. From his experiences with Xenon at the Regice Ruins, the battle with Kyogre, and their delve into a simulated universe, he knew that she was proud and fierce. If he bit, she'd bite back.

Frankly, Howard wanted his kneecaps. He kept his mouth shut on that matter. After musing on her words for a moment, he spoke.

"I am going to tell you a secret, since you're being honest with me. This is something I learned when I went into debt for my education. Money is worthless. It means nothing. Here. This is something you might find interesting." He gestured towards the map behind his desk, which showed the Hoenn region in all its glory.

The map had been drawn by a famous Kalosian cartographer over a hundred years ago. Howard had given the map to another member of Rocket during the party back in December.

"This map is historically relevant, but that's irrelevant to the conversation. To my knowledge, there are only four in existence. I bought this one at auction for 400,000 PD. Yet it was only worth that because someone else had bid 350,000, and someone before that bid 300,000. They bid this because they expected it to be that much. Money means nothing. It is a system humans put into place to instill order."

In order words, the antithesis of anarchy. Xenon was a pariah of the future, and Howard knew that. Order was good, but it prevented change. He trusted that she would understand the implications of such a system. Xenon Antheil was a genius, after all. 

It was just a map. Xenon had an infinitely more accurate one on her phone. Hell, she probably could've designed a more accurate mapping app in her sleep.

"Only expectation has currency. The most important things in the world are only worth that much because people expect them to be so. For your club to succeed, you must raise the expectation of the consumer. If you can make them need something, that is the source of wealth. Owning things of value is secondary only to creating things of value where none existed."

He didn't know if Rocket's resident CEOs and would agree with that. They had been trained and fostered for their roles since they were young. might've understood his logic, but Admin Fox found Underboss Fiorelli's perception of money as skewed as his own.

Howard had only learned this truth by grubbing around in the dirt, painfully aware that the system that chained him down was flawed. A flawed system was something Xenon could understand.

Now he made Rocket loads of cash.

"So that's how your club makes money. Do you have any staff?"

close tab

played by

Flood

X
She/Her
March 6th
Nimbasa City
Asexual
Ultramodernist
Executive
5'7 height
5'7 height
awards
514 posts
part of
TAG WITH @flood
Xenon Antheil
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Feb 2, 2024 9:41:05 GMT
Xenon Antheil Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","xenon"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]

Perhaps it is a rare moment of lucidity from the girl that keeps her mouth shut as Howard speaks, perhaps it is her recognizing an opportunity to learn when she sees it. More than either of these, it is the mind of a girl who is evolving much like the future she so loves. Even though she dislikes the man on principle, she is not so proud as to disregard everything he says out of hand, to do so would be to stagnate and rot.
[break][break]
The way he explains the complex systems of finance and commerce is something she can understand. It is something she had always thought but never found the words to put to the thoughts, a belief core to her own system of values in a way that was indescribable until now.
[break][break]
The old system she so despised, it was built on a foundation of expectations, the burdening chains of the past that held society down. Some might say this was the only way society could function at all, but all Xenon heard were the placations of the elite who were nice and comfy in their high rise towers. "I see... expectations..." The sound of her voice, her tone as she adjusts her glasses and stares at the map, no, past the map to something further. It all makes it abundantly clear that something in Howard's words rang true for the girl, a key she had been missing unlocking a new door in her train of thought, a new section of the machine grinding to life as she refines her philosophies.
[break][break]
"People come to clubs for one of two reasons. They either want to feel good, or they want to forget the sorrows of yesterday and embrace oblivion at the bottom of a bottle." Even if she couldn't handle the actual numbers on a spreadsheet of finances, what she could understand was the numbers in the value sheet of a person. "So we need to make people think they want to be in my club. We make it appealing, we make it exciting, we make it mysterious. Opening night drew people in because I made it a flashy event, every one was interested in the new hotness, but nothing can be new forever. So now I need to find more reasons for people to want to come, no, I need to create a reason for people to want to come."
[break][break]
Staff. Staff staff staff, she had staff. "Yeah. I pulled a few grunts from the roster to work security on a rotating basis, then had them work on recruiting serving staff and waitresses and stuff like that. I have a DJ too, guy I met in Lilycove-" The gears click forwards again. A vague fact half remembered slides into place, another piece of the puzzle clarifies. "Beast . He's like, a famous social media guy right? Or one of his alternate personas is? I can never remember who's under what alias, that's not important. He has a significant following online. So that means a lot of people like him enough to follow him. People think his opinion is important. Is that a valid future?" Her mind is rapid firing ideas, pistons going off in the engine of creativity that fuels her, one could only imagine just how surprising it might be to see the genius at work on a subject she self-admittedly knew next to nothing about just two minutes prior and without a single thought of violence or crime tainting the process. Just the pure creative drive of a futurist at work.

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,738 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2024 23:46:20 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"You understand. That's good, I hated economics in college." Howard's good eye flicked to the ledgers he had printed from Xenon's club. Her numbers had started well, but they were declining fast. Xenon was right, nothing new could remain as such forever. Eventually the future turned into the now, and the now became the past.

Luckily, the past was Howard's domain. He could work with the past, with the now, and let Xenon use the knowledge from those events guide her ship forward. Howard couldn't look forward, Xenon couldn't look back. Yet she could learn from him, and improve. He had no such luxury.

"Beast Frost." Howard gently reminded her. "He's a good man, for the most part. He's a big asset, and he DJ'd at that party back in December. Tell him he owes me for letting him poke Regice with his energy reader, and that we'll be square once he does it."

Pity. Howard was saving that favor, but he could always get another. Shipping items around for Rocket ensured that every Rocket would come by his office eventually, looking for some valuable or another. All valuable. All expensive. All worthless.

Except for the artifacts, that was.

"There's a reason big companies spend a metric ton on marketing. Ask Wyndon Cross, or Silph Co, whatever Fortune 500 company Head Scientist Rose has." Howard waved a hand, as if dismissing the thought. "It is, put simply, the act of making something worthless valuable. Those companies have the value of making things people know they need. Medicine. Machinery. Insurance. You're not selling those, you're selling an experience."

Club Ultramodern had the unfortunate limit of not being directly connected to Rocket's supply line. It didn't produce anything that Howard could ship under the cover of darkness, but it had potential. Lilycove was prime real estate, after all.

"It's valid, but you should ensure that this opportunity doesn't..." Howard squeezed a fist. "...close. How often are you at the club? When you're there, are you a member of Rocket, or the manager of a clubhouse. Are you Xenon, or someone else?"

close tab

played by

Flood

X
She/Her
March 6th
Nimbasa City
Asexual
Ultramodernist
Executive
5'7 height
5'7 height
awards
514 posts
part of
TAG WITH @flood
Xenon Antheil
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2024 22:56:48 GMT
Xenon Antheil Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","xenon"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]

"Riiiiight. Right right right, he did use my equipment." Booking him for a weekend would be solid marketing, after that she just needed to find something else new and exciting. A rotating roster of celebrity DJs like him? No, don't just stick to DJs, always something more just out of sight, keep looking, don't get complacent with one good idea. Stagnation and failure were synonymous no matter what industry you were looking at, whether that's running a business, training Pokemon, or mass acts of domestic terrorism.
[break][break]
"I'll owe you one then. If I remember. And if it's interesting enough to me." Such a promise from such a woman was next to worthless, but the act of giving such a thing at all was what held value. Not ten minutes prior Xenon had thought Howard was a worthless fossil, a weakling who only dragged the organization down. And now she had a high enough opinion to at least offer him a favor, even if it was so off handed and distracted that there was zero chance she'd ever actually deliver on it.
[break][break]
How often was she at the club? A good question. "Ahhhhh, I was there opening night. Some other nights I'm there, but for the most part I'm in the back trying to figure out..." She motions at all the financial paperwork once again, her countenance darkening for a second before she refocuses on the topic at hand. "Some people might remember me as Xenon, but it was crowded enough that it wouldn't be too much of a problem to put together a new identity for running the club." Inventing a random woman just to run the club was hardly a concern, even if she didn't grasp all the legal paperwork that went into establishing a new identity, she didn't need to worry so much about that for a newly established club in Lilycove. Plus there was new immigrants coming into Hoenn all the time, it was easy to slip through the cracks if anyone official ever asked.

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,738 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 19:24:49 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Do that, then. You'd be surprised at how much damage a single name can do."

All someone had to do was drop the name 'Silph' in a meeting and watch the fireworks to see the truth of that. Bad blood ran deep and hot between the Rocket and League. It was a war of principle and basic survival, but there were grudges between individual members. Ghosts from Kanto and Johto came to life on the battlefield.

Fox, too. would get his comeuppance soon, but until then, he was another meaningless piece on the chessboard. Grudges had no place on the game board.

"I'll trust you to put together a name and identity, then. If this club becomes popular, eyes will look your way." His eye bore into hers. "Do not balk."

Click. An Aerodactyl pen danced across a check. A number was scribbled, signed, and slid across the table. It was a generous amount for a man who dabbled in trinkets. If anything, it'd go a long way in bringing her books back in order. Unlike , Howard didn't believe in overfunding and drowning his contemporaries in wealth.

Give people what they needed, and they would use it. Give people more, and it would be squandered.

"Why a nightclub?" He asked her. "I know how you got it, but why run it? Just for profits?"

close tab

played by

Flood

X
She/Her
March 6th
Nimbasa City
Asexual
Ultramodernist
Executive
5'7 height
5'7 height
awards
514 posts
part of
TAG WITH @flood
Xenon Antheil
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Apr 10, 2024 4:22:51 GMT
Xenon Antheil Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","xenon"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]

"Yeah. Just another silly thing that people who are too focused on fossils care about. But they care which means I have to care." She sounds rather exasperated as she says that, not even trying to insult Howard directly, simply bemoaning the obsession with past grudges so many held.
[break][break]
But finding a new name was hardly a challenge for her. 54 she had been, another 54 she would become, names and identities were simply history to be discarded when they no longer had any use. "Then I'll just have to make sure that whatever the people see will shine as brilliantly as the stars of the League." Another neuron fires as she says this, the pen dancing across paper paints a road to the future for her assets, a portrait of numbers and imaginary value.
[break][break]
Her train of thought diverts course as Howard asks the critical question, the whys and whens. It's a good question, she doesn't look like a people person by any means, so why did she decide to hang on to a business that revolved around people? "At first it was just a whim, a fun new plaything to toy with before I got bored and refocused on my other projects."
[break][break]
"But at the end of the day I realized something. The future I want, it needs the hearts of people to thrive. I can't just be strong enough to force it on everyone, all that does is make me the next dictator in charge of a power system I hate. So this nightclub has become something of a first step in that matter. Capturing the hearts of people in my own way... Well, I suppose for your purposes it would be easiest to just think of it as a burgeoning propaganda and recruitment center. In the future of course."

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,834 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
What The #!@& Is A KPI
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2024 5:48:09 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: