Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Stay Still, Stay Silent [S]
POSTED ON Jan 29, 2024 10:41:58 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Ah, Granite Cave. The portal to hell. It looked lovely this time of year.

For a cave that held an interdimensional rift into the bowels of a giant dragon, it looked awfully unassuming. It almost looked pleasant, even. It was one of the nicest caves Howard had ever seen, and it was also Dewford's only tourist spot. Howard could see why the town would keep it open, but really needed to put up some yellow tape that said 'KEEP OUT'.

Oh well. That was Howard's job. He just went in every once in a while, kicked some rocks around, took some samples, wrote some notes, and then gave Sheriff Navidson a report signed by Dr. Howard Slayte, PhD.

"Alright, let's keep it simple." Howard turned to . Navy had found him in the cave, and had luckily brought him back to the surface before the researcher picked a fight with a Garchomp. What better place to take Sol than right back down into the cave crawling with Garchomps and Nihilego?

That yellow tape was beginning to look more and more appealing.

"We're gonna go into the cave, get some samples so I can write Navy a report on the cave's stability, look at some murals, and come back. If we stick together, maybe we won't get mauled by a horde of Gible." The archaeologist's single eye gleamed with a mixture of merriment and exhaustion. He shared Navy's worry about Eternatus and its connection to Dewford, but he also understood 's obsessions.

Sometimes, you just couldn't stay away from things that interested you. That was the great struggle of being human.

"Sound like a plan? I'd like to avoid getting crushed in a cave-in."

close tab

played by

V

Sol
He/Him
Nineteen
June Twenty-Sixth
Anistar City, Kalos
Homosexual
Researcher
Civilian
Single
5'9" height
5'9" height
I know love exists because I am real and I am full of it.
awards
29 posts
part of
TAG WITH @solstice
Solstice Arylide
POSTED ON Jan 29, 2024 11:31:31 GMT
Solstice Arylide Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","solstice"]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]

Obliviousness had led him into Granite Cave the first time. He had been searching for something precious, something for which he almost lost his life. Obsession had brought him there this time, alongside Howard Slayte. He may have been the luckiest man on the planet given his chance encounter with Navy and more importantly: Nihilego.

[break][break]

He had dreamt of the ethereal creature every night since he laid eyes on her, he had to purchase a separate notebook just to write down his musings and theories on it as well as the other Ultra Beasts he had begun looking into.

[break][break]

"Hm? Oh, right. You got it, boss." Sol snapped, giving his companion the finger guns. It was an awkward moment and the minute Howard was no longer looking at him, Sol looked down at his hands in utter frustration. Why couldn't he be a normal, regular person?

[break][break]

"We don't need to worry about a horde of Gible, I've got plenty of Fairy-types on me. What we should be worried about are the Nihilego." For someone who said they should be worried, Sol seemed rather eager to see the glass jellyfish again. "Murals will be interesting. I appreciate you accompanying me! It will be nice to have another expert alongside me."

[break][break]

Sol, for the record, was not dressed in cave-delving gear. He looked ready for a day at the mall, maybe a grocery run, but a damp cave? No. He wasn't even wearing pants! Just shorts. Although, that was just his style. He'd rather die than be caught dead wearing something that wasn't stylish.

[break][break]

"After you!"

[attr="class","solsticeooc"][break]

NOTES

Notes

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".solstice"]--accent:#ff0077;font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice b"]color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice a"]font:12px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice h1"]font:bold 16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice h2"]font:bold 14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice .credit a"]font-size:14px;[/newclass]

[googlefont="Roboto Mono"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 29, 2024 20:42:35 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"We'll run into a few of those, too." Howard agreed grimly. Like many of Hoenn's populace, he disliked Ultra Beasts. Many had been used in warfare during the Three Days War, including a Dynamaxed Xurkitree that had left Mauville under siege.

Dewford's siege hadn't ended, it had merely decided to elongate. Instead of one great battle, it had drawn out into a war of attrition. Nihilego would ruminate in the Ultra Deep Sea, before leaking out into Granite Cave below. Navy and his sheriffs would push them back, and the cycle would continue.

Nihilego would try to escape. Dewford would fight them back. Such was the eternal cycle of war. Solstice and Howard were simply bystanders who had willingly marched onto the battlefield, the former far more eager than the latter. Howard silently noted and catalogued that for future reference.

"I'm not particularly good in a fight, but we should be able to fend off a few. Just be careful. One sting, and..." Howard slid his fingers across his neck. "I can't think of a worse way to go."

The Aerodactyl sitting next to Howard growled, putting the statement of battle into question. With the cowboy aesthetic and ancient dinosaur by his side, he looked more like a treasure hunter than a caver. He still fit in more than Solstice, though. Shorts? Seriously?

Shirley stared at Sol's finger guns and growled at the display. Kids these days.

The two descended into the cave. It looked like a pretty typical cave found in the Hoenn region, yet Howard knew that as you went down, it broke down due to constant exposure to Eternatus's power. Unfortunately, that was where most of the murals in the caves were.

"Why Granite Cave?" Howard asked as they picked their way down a narrow stairway carved from rock. "Hell, why Dewford? It's not a great tourist destination. I would've thought Lilycove or Mauville would've fit you more."

Judging from how you dress, at least. Howard thought silently.

close tab

played by

V

Sol
He/Him
Nineteen
June Twenty-Sixth
Anistar City, Kalos
Homosexual
Researcher
Civilian
Single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
29 posts
part of
TAG WITH @solstice
Solstice Arylide
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2024 0:22:36 GMT
Solstice Arylide Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]

"Oh, interesting! Do you think they're predatory by nature or do you think it's out of fear that they attack?" Sol tapped his chin twice, "Lots to think about..."

[break][break]
Unfortunately, Sol was oblivious to the Three Days War. He was oblivious to most of the plights Hoenn was facing as a newcomer and a fairly self-involved person. He had heard mention of war here and there but didn't think much of it. Wars were always happening, weren't they? Hadn't Navy mentioned Hoenn was at war? He should probably get out of his head more and pay attention to the world around him.

[break][break]
"Oh, there are plenty of worse ways to go. Slow dismemberment, for one. But yeah, it wouldn't be good." He shrugged, death wasn't as scary to him as it once was, "Don't worry. We'll be okay. I'm very lucky and you've got quite an impressive partner with you. She's an Aerodactyl, right?"

[break][break]
He was determined to make Shirley like him. He was always impressed by fossil Pokémon and although Aurorus fit his aesthetic, his favorite fossil Pokémon had always been Lilleep and its evolution. He was unsure why.

[break][break]
"Why not?" Sol shrugged again, bracing himself against the cave wall as they descended, "In truth, though, I was looking for something particular. Something that I didn't find." He stopped touching the wall once he found his footing a bit more, he remembered reading about how the oils in human skin fucked with the cavern ecosystem or something.

[break][break]
"Hey, I'll have you know that I'm technically a citizen of Hoenn. I have an apartment here and everything...but it is in Mauville." Sol flattened out a wrinkle in his shirt with his hands, "I've always been interested in the past, I guess. What about you? Why would you agree to poke about Granite Cave?"

NOTES

Notes

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".solstice .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".solstice .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2024 9:38:56 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Depends who you ask. I know a girl who believes they're angels, born of divine proclamation. Anything they do, then, is divinely mandated by their god. The real enemy." Howard's eye flashed at Sol. "Our enemy. The sheriff thinks that. I agree."

Hoenn was always warring. There was always a conflict brewing in the shadows. Rocket versus the League. Hoenn versus the DRK Triad, interdimensional warriors aiming to defend the multiverse from Hoenn's corruption. Hoenn versus the Ultra Megalopolans, aliens sworn to invade this region to supplement their dying world.

There was always battle, should one choose to seek it. Yet these wars had opened the door to new discoveries. Dynamax, Terastallization, and so on. Science was pushing forward at a breakneck pace, and that meant there were more mysteries to tap into. That was good. It meant Howard could keep writing academic papers and coasting off of government grants.

"Shirley's been with me since I was in my teens. She's my only family, since my folks don't care." He laughed, before scratching Shirley's head. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a saltine cracker, before tossing it into her mouth. "We're the same, then. The past... well. It's better to look backwards, not forwards. The future is strange and unknown, while history is the concrete. I can learn from the concrete."

Learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it. What did you do when Hoenn was constantly rewriting the history book?

"I'm just doing the sheriff a favor." Howard smiled grimly when they asked when he was poking about. "He saved my life. I also owe him thirty PD for lunch, so I help when I can." Shirley stared at Sol as they descended, seemingly reading his mind that Aerodactyl wasn't his favorite fossil.

"What were you looking for, then?"

close tab

played by

V

Sol
He/Him
Nineteen
June Twenty-Sixth
Anistar City, Kalos
Homosexual
Researcher
Civilian
Single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
29 posts
part of
TAG WITH @solstice
Solstice Arylide
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2024 10:27:55 GMT
Solstice Arylide Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]

Sol pondered that thought for a moment, "Well, technically speaking, aren't we all born of divine proclamation? Depending on which creation myth you believe, that is. Which we really don't need to get into at the moment. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if wars and phenomena like this end in us - everyone - fighting god."

[break][break]

It was a silly statement, one that put a little skip in Sol's step. "Angels isn't a bad thought, though. Nihilego are ethereal and certainly otherworldly. But angels they are not."

[break][break]

He did tuck the thought away, in the event that this mystery girl was right, but he couldn't imagine it so. These Ultra Beasts were incredible things and Hoenn did seem to be the perfect place for someone of his background to be. There was mystery in every corner of this region and it all seemed to call to him.

[break][break]

"Your teens? Oh yeah! I forgot you were, like, old. Well, older. Whatever your skincare routine is keep with it, it's doing wonders." Sol smiled as Shirley chowed down on a cracker, "Myself, I prefer learning from ruins and stuff since concrete is more of a modern invention."

[break][break]

Was it a dogshit joke? Definitely! Did Sol enjoy making it? Oh yeah, and he punctuated his joke with a giggle into his hand.

[break][break]

"Damn..." Sol squinted skeptically, thinking about his interaction with the sheriff, "Do you think I'm supposed to be indebted to Navy? He saved my life AND paid for lunch. But, I don't recall making any verbal contracts...so I think I'm in the clear."

[break][break]

In truth, if the sheriff did ask him for anything he'd be more than happy to do it. An opportunity to ingratiate himself with the league and earn favors from them would do wonders for his career. He was thinking about this specific scenario, practically salivating at the hypothetical opportunities when Howard asked the million-dollar question.

[break][break]

"What indeed," Sol gave his non-answer. He looked further ahead into their path, thoughtfully. "In truth? I was looking for a crystal. Perfect, almost immaculate in its creation. It would have fixed everything for me..."

NOTES

Notes

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 2, 2024 8:20:54 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"That depends on who you ask, I think. If your mom is your god, then maybe so." Howard squinted as he thought about it. "Seems like a pretty fucked up home life, if you ask me. We're both just dudes. How we're born doesn't matter. What we do does."

And Howard spent his life on a degree that got him no job, a position in Rocket that got him no sleep, and a social life that involved crawling through ventilation shafts with to chase after a Ferroseed.

Maybe his opinion didn't mean as much as he realized. His entire life felt like a sitcom where he was constantly failing upwards. He had gone from unemployment to grunt to admin in a remarkably quick amount of time. He had wanted to be Head Scientist, but had shamelessly been pushed into the office of Rocket Admin.

It sucked. It stopped him from being on the field as much as he liked. That was another reason he was fine with helping Solstice and Navy. That way, he could get out onto the field more.

"Oh. Um..." Howard blinked, then reddened. He looked down at the cave. "Thanks. Yours is good too. I've been skipping to pull all-nighters for work, so it's not as good as yours. Keep your eyes on this part of the cave. It's not sturdy."

Howard wanted to throw himself off a cliff. He was only in his twenties! Arceus, did he look old? He knew it. He'd need to get some tips later.

"Anyway," Howard barreled on, ignoring that this conversation had become a trainwreck. "Don't worry. If he needs you, he really needs you. If a member of the Elite Four needs your help, it's not a joke. He's one of the strongest trainers I know."

Navy was strong, and that was the way the sheriff preferred it. Yet that man was barreling towards destruction. His war with Eternatus would end in his death, one day. If Navy had his way, he would be the only person who could wield strength. To him, weakness was beautiful.

"A crystal? What kind?" Howard asked as he jumped down a rock and looked up at Sol. "Maybe I can help with it."

close tab

played by

V

Sol
He/Him
Nineteen
June Twenty-Sixth
Anistar City, Kalos
Homosexual
Researcher
Civilian
Single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
29 posts
part of
TAG WITH @solstice
Solstice Arylide
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2024 8:03:16 GMT
Solstice Arylide Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]

"That's...you've missed my point, I fear." Sol shrugged it off instead of explaining. Howard made a good point in his own right: what you did mattered. Doing something that mattered was the entire reason Sol had chosen to come to Hoenn. He was making the price of his life one worth paying, proving that what he had chosen to do with his life WAS worth it.

[break][break]

He was worth it. He was.

[break][break]

Sol, ever the purveyor of men, could tell his comment had embarrassed the older man. Had this been a different scenario, Sol might have continued teasing him, but his thoughts had drifted to home and he was no longer feeling the playful spirit.

[break][break]

"That's nice, I suppose. It's always good to have someone strong in your corner. I fear his investment in me is only favorable on my end. But, that's not my problem." For now, it wasn't. But he wondered when or even if the guilt of taking more than he could return would catch up to him. Every time he made a terrible choice or paid a terrible price that resounding voice telling him to do the right thing got a little quieter. If glory meant selfishness then so be it.

[break][break]

Sol braced himself for pain as he followed Howard's and jumped onto a rock. The impact carried the pain directly to his ankles, a dull agony that he tried not to let show on his face. "It'll sound stupid. It's an old Kalosian myth about a maiden and- ugh, this is embarrassing! Basically, I'm looking for a pink diamond of impeccable quality. Perfect, even in a natural environment."

NOTES

Notes

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2024 10:15:38 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"I'm missing a lot of things. My eye, for one. You'll have to forgive me if I don't see the point."

As he said that, Howard stepped down into the depths of the cave, picking the route for Sol to follow. As funny as it would've been to let a man dressed for clubbing lead the way through the cave, he wasn't that mean. Sol was a civilian, not yet in the war between Rocket and League. Demeaning him just wasn't worth it.

Besides, he was driven. Howard respected the hustle. Someone with a dream was someone capable of great things. Desperate clinging to his own dream had allowed Howard to rise to the rank of Rocket Admin. Clinging to that dream had let him learn things he never would've if he had given up on becoming an archaeologist.

Dreaming had power.

"Gems, huh?" Howard whistled to himself as he tapped his foot in thought. He knew a lot of myths and legends, but he hadn't heard that one. "If it's Kalosian, maybe it has something to do with Carbink? It's a popular Pokémon, especially in Shalour City. The Kalosians love their gems."

Kalosians loved their gems, their wines, their food. They reveled in their vices and their virtues. It was unfathomably frustrating, but Kalos was a cultural hotspot for a reason.

"A perfect gem, though? I wish. I know there's Anistar's sundial, but it's hardly perfect on a geological leve." Howard snorted, before frowning as the spasm of pain passed. "Are you bleeding?"

He took a step towards Solstice. They were about to go caving. A bleeding gash was enough to cause issues as they descended. As they got closer to Ultra Deep Sea, it was more likely for the toxic air to seep into the open wound. It'd be deadly. Painful. Miserable.

But turning back would mean abandoning the chase for 'glory'.

"Are you?" Howard asked as his eye flicked to the darkness. Shirley growled at it, sensing something. Hopefully it was nothing.

close tab

played by

V

Sol
He/Him
Nineteen
June Twenty-Sixth
Anistar City, Kalos
Homosexual
Researcher
Civilian
Single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
29 posts
part of
TAG WITH @solstice
Solstice Arylide
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2024 11:40:48 GMT
Solstice Arylide Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]

"Ohhh, it's actually missing? I thought the eyepatch was a style choice and at some point during this excursion was going to try and break it to you that it just wasn't working," Sol shrugged nonchalantly, "But never mind! So, like, is there just a presumably wet hole, or, like, did you get it sewn shut? Like what they do to Pokemon who have to have their eyes removed?"

[break][break]

Sol followed diligently behind Howard as he spoke, as much fun as it was to poke at the man, he did need his direction lest he get lost in Granite Cave again. He doubted Navy would be there to save him again, but he was a very lucky boy. Who knows?

[break][break]

"I'm a fairy-type enthusiast, trust me, I've studied hundreds of Carbink. Which felt like a step in the right direction, but it only ever led to a dead end. Which I won't let stop me." His mother owned a Carbink once, but he decided it was best to entrust it to someone else. Sol had tried his best not to think of Kalos, yet it always came up... "Yeah, I know all about Anistar and its sundial. I grew up there. Fun fact, the police do NOT like people trying to climb it or take samples."

[break][break]

As Howard took his step, Sol took one back instinctively.

[break][break]

"Huh? No. I just have weak ankles. I'm good." Which was the truth! He wasn't bleeding at all and his ankles did hurt...but it wasn't the full truth. No need to spill his guts to a stranger.

[break][break]

Sol smiled kindly, "I appreciate the concern, but I can take care of myself. Honest." He also didn't need another stranger worried about his well-being. Arceus, sometimes Sol was so annoyed by how pathetic he was. He turned his attention cautiously to Shirley, overriding his first reaction (which was to jerk his head at a breakneck pace).

[break][break]

"Should, uh, we be worried about that orrrrrr?"

NOTES

Notes

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights