Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
The Past, The Future, And The Demons Between The Cracks [S]
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2024 4:24:28 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","topimage"]

[attr="class","textbox"]It was through Kyurem's intervention that Hoenn's unseasonally cold weather patterns began. Snowfall was typically rare in a region one step away from the tropics. Permafrost was nigh unheard of. Something like the Icelands? Unthinkable. Yet, all because of one dragon's wrath, Hoenn had taken a turn for the temperate. Now, through Kyurem once more, that winter had added.[break][break]

It was just in time. With the coldest, wettest, least stable season over, construction efforts on the remnants of the Floristry could continue on faster than ever. Beneath the foundations of this new start were the ash of what had lingered before. Beneath the ash was rot, defiled yet not purged by such an act of violence. Beneath the rot was old, treasured memories, both for Isaac and for so many others.[break][break]

Those would be what Isaac strove to resurrect. Until then, all he had to show for it was bare floorboards and sparse furnishing.[break][break]

would be grateful, at least. Isaac's half-a-year-long couch crashing spree would finally come to an end. He'd been processed by the League, both as the dregs of a former Rocket and as the shining height of a new AQUA member. He'd gotten the go-ahead to take up the property, the value of which had been unsurprisingly driven down by its recent blighting at a Legend's hands. He'd even set up enough furniture to have a place to lay down his head.[break][break]

Now begged the question of what came next. His Pokemon's efforts brought the green thumb that Isaac had never harnessed in full, but he was no . Flat-out running a floristry wouldn't be his strong suit. At the same time, the location was so perfectly personable. The idea of just using it for squatters' rights seemed wasteful. Besides, it had been forever since he'd had a day job. Somehow, he kinda missed it.[break][break]

Ah well. He'd have all the time in the world to figure it out. Despite how often life seemed on the brick of unraveling, the sun always rose the next day. Maybe living each day like it could be his last was a road that lead to self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe, so long as the tomorrows kept coming, it would do him well to start striving towards them.[break][break]

Maybe if he wanted to protect Hoenn's tomorrows, he'd need to appreciate his own more.[break][break]

With a soft sigh, Isaac sat down on his new couch. Now that he had some proper peace and quiet, he could finally tackle those big questions.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] --color:#c4c067; [/newclass]
[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2024 8:10:56 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
His wounds ached.

Howard Slayte had never been a warrior. He was no great battler, capable of commanding the field with the deftness of or . He was a historian, a pencil pusher who sat the chair of Rocket Admin, ordering atrocities from far away even as he held onto the small scrap of honor that he kept for himself. Rocket was full of too many giants, and thus Howard hid in the shadows, content to study his histories.

Yet wise men studied history, strong men wrote it.

So Howard had tried to be strong. He failed, and all he had left to show from it was a slew of frostbite wounds from constant exposure to Regice, several scrapes from the Giant Chasm, and a twitching left hand that still shook. Whether from muscle damage or fear, he didn't know.

Howard Slayte was not strong.

Yet that battle echoed in his mind. The one with Isaac Merlo. Isaac had been strong. He knew people. He knew... everything. He had been in Rocket for a long time, before his defection. Maybe he could understand what Howard had to say. He trusted , he trusted in the fact that Isaac was a good man.

Even if Howard was not.

It hadn't been hard to find the address. It had been hard to hike there. He was in pain, but every step forward had been a worthy atonement. Step by agonizing step, he walked towards the building that had once been Underboss Fiorelli's personal heaven and hell.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

His fist slammed against the door. Strong at first, but weaker with every strike.

"Isaac! It's Howard!" Howard's voice was hoarse. He had ruminated on this decision for a long time, but it was time to make a small rebellion against Necrozma's chosen. He would make a stand against ■■■.

He had to.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2024 14:12:29 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"We're not-"[break][break]

Hard knocks were demands, urgent insistence that whoever was on the other side of a door wanted in, right here, right now. Quiet knocks were requests, unobtrusive to a fault, assurance that they'd really rather not be a bother but could you please let them in?[break][break]

To start so loud, then trail off into nothing? That was a plea.[break][break]

Whatever Isaac had said they were not didn't matter, though the blank signs and sparse furniture may have been a hint. The second he heard Howard's plea, communicated through each rap on a sturdy wood door, he knew what needed to be done. Within seconds, the door had been opened for Howard. Tired, weary Howard.[break][break]

Curiously frostbitten Howard.[break][break]

"Good to see-" Seeing the fear in the man's eyes and the tremble in his hand made it clear that it wasn't a good time to see him. Nevertheless, Isaac offered him a sympathetic smile as he spoke. Those might have been the quickest, most direct three words the two had ever said to one another. "Well, you know what I mean. C'mon in."[break][break]

As with most of Isaac's life, the once and former Floristry was still under construction. It was a far better tribute than the pile of ash and rot that once stood here, but it was still a shell of what had once been. Perhaps one day, it would be filled with love and excitement and fresh memory. Until then, all it had was hope. Isaac nodded over to the couch. "Need me to get you anything?" he asked, as if this was all just a perfectly ordinary house call.[break][break]

Maybe by his standards it was. What even was normal to Isaac Merlo?

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2024 19:17:30 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Isaac Merlo had no normal. He was anything but normal.

Nobody who walked away from and lived to tell the tale was normal. Nobody caught Suicune's eye, purged the forest's corruption, and got to proclaim themselves normal. Nobody who had been cracked, broken, and shattered in thousand places got to proclaim themselves as anything but utterly abnormal.

No, the miracle wasn't that Isaac had been chosen. The miracle wasn't that he had escaped Rocket.

It was a miracle that he had been able to pull himself back together.

"Something warm. I can't feel anything." Even his voice was frozen, cracked. Kyurem had chilled him to his bone. Regice had frozen him solid. There was no feeling. Only cold. Only fear. His constant companions ever since that island, ever since he met Isaac. Ever since ■■■ () made his ascension.

Ever since he had been given that fucking golem. He was a purveyor of all eras, but had been stuck with the coldest, the cruelest, and the most unforgiving.

He took a seat on the couch. That too, felt cold, despite Isaac just lounging on it.

"This place burned down. I didn't know it was being rebuilt." He didn't actually know how Elisabeth had razed this monument to the ground, but he knew that it was likely emotional, violent, and far too overreactive. Destroying this place wouldn't make the memories tied to it disappear.

Elisabeth had cursed the earth, and the earth remembered.

Memories. The lifeblood of history.

"When I was in college, there was a rumor of a witch in the woods who sold the most beautiful flowers. It was said that giving a bouquet to someone you loved bound you both." Howard smiled without mirth. "I thought this place was a myth. My fiancée believed in it, though."

He looked up at the Liberator.

"Turning dreams into reality, Isaac?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2024 14:23:56 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]Poor Howard could barely get the words out of his throat. No longer his usual dramatics weren't on display. A pair of Pokeballs hit the floor, Isaac taking a few steps back to get a running start. "Say no more. Al, hot chocolate time. Dust, get a fire going. I'll be right back." Before Howard could so much as open his mouth, Isaac took one step, two steps, three. With that, he was gone.[break][break]

It was unlikely Howard would recognize the Sinistea that spead off to go fix a pot of hot chocolate. The Alolan Marowak trudging over to the fireplace, though? He'd know him far more intimately. As Duster poked the logs into place with his bone, he turned to face their mysterious houseguest for the first time.[break][break]

Duster squinted. He never broke eye contact as his bone lit ablaze, slowly yet surely incinerating each log.[break][break]

Isaac never noticed. Instead, the northern winds swirled around Howard. By the time Isaac was visible again, there was a warm blanket wrapped around Howard's shoulders. "There you go, buddy," he said, flashing him an understanding smile. "Alfred's gonna have the chocolate ready soon, alright?"[break][break]

As he guided Howard to the fire, the topic of a different fire came up. "Believe me. The fire was a mercy compared to what happened first," Isaac said, shuddering as he remembered the blighting of Petalburg Woods. Did he mean the blighting? Or did he mean the secrets festering in its underbelly even before then? "This place has been through a lot."[break][break]

His own smile was sorrowful as he listened to Howard's tale. The witch of the forest? She was dead, or maybe she never existed, or maybe she was simply a prisoner of her own device. With it was so hard to tell. The love he'd found here, bound forever through bouquet? It was a nice idea, but sometimes love wasn't enough. The one he'd once held so dear just wanted a normal, peaceful life, and he knew that was the one thing he could never give.[break][break]

How he hoped would understand when they, too, faced that reality.[break][break]

"It'd be nice," Isaac admitted, his sorrowful smile taking a turn towards wistful nostalgia. "But I don't think I could ever be her. Nobody in Hoenn was like Lis when it came to flowers, y'know? 'Sides, I think for once, I'm gonna be a little bit selfish. Chase a few of my own dreams, or at least memories."[break][break]

"Ever heard of Howling at the Moon?"

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2024 23:09:36 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Lis?" . He had never heard of someone talk about her so casually. It was his first and only glimpse into the idea that Team Rocket had once been full of normal people. Normal people who had been scorned by the world in different ways, with nowhere left to turn but the side of crime.

Hatred, rage, scorn. These were emotions that filled the hollowed vessels that made up the hearts of each member of Rocket. It was a delicious vintage to sup upon, yet it was hardly nourishing. Rocket was broken, each of them. The longer this war went on, the more fanatic they would become.

Howard resisted the allure, but the battle with Kyurem had stained him bloody. He had lost his composure, and waged a personal war alongside . A mistake, and likely his first step into becoming a monster.

Yet Isaac had stepped away. How had he done that? Where had that courage come from? Howard wanted that. Courage tasted far sweeter than fear.

"Every person is fundamentally selfish. Even people who save others do it, in part, for the satisfaction of being a hero. It's a far sweeter sound than being called a monster." He allowed himself to be guided to the fire, where he immediately began to steam. He had been given medical aid by following the battle, but his wounds ached. "You, foremost among the dead and the living, deserve to be self-centered."

He stared at the fire for a spell. He tried to utter a slew of words, but they were frozen to his tongue. Instead, he focused on the building. The monument to Elisabeth's life. It had been beautiful, before being burned down in a fit of rage. The potential in her life, snuffed out in an instant.

All that was left was a monument to grudges. Yet perhaps Isaac could turn it into something greater. If anyone could, it was him.

"I have not." Howard turned to the younger man. "Tell me about it."

His single eye focused in on Isaac, rapt with attention.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2024 22:36:45 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Heh. If you think that one sounds weird, wait til you learn I used to call her the Scary Godmother." After her shop decayed before the world's eyes and the dark secrets beneath the surface were taken as evidence, he doubted he was the only one. "Can't say I've ever been good at the whole formal thing. But, I always feel like it just gets in the way, y'know?"[break][break]

He had always been an iconoclast. He'd never been the type to play by the rules. Rocket liked that about him, until they realized it was their rules he'd had no interest in playing by. He wondered if, eventually, the League would come to the same conclusion. Maybe not. For all its failings, and its slowness to change, at least The League was capable of it.[break][break]

A part of him wondered when the chains of command would choke the life out of the next crop of Rocket's hopefuls.[break][break]

"I think it's a mix," Isaac said. "Yeah, sure. People are gonna want to come out on top. It's just how life goes. But that doesn't stop people from trading a big win for a little one, if it means others end up alright too. Or from not really caring about helping other people, but drawing the line at hurting them."[break][break]

"And then there's the people who think they need to hurt themselves."[break][break]

Even now, standing in the skeletal remains of her broken dreams, Isaac missed .[break][break]

She wasn't the only one. He missed , too. Not the monster he'd become, of course. The man he was? No. The man and the monster were always one in the same. He just, for once, moved past the need to hide it. The man Isaac thought he was? No, no. Even as he got worked deeper and deeper into Zev's web, even as he picked up reason after reason to be grateful, he always knew where Zev stood.[break][break]

The man Zev pretended to be? Or, dare Isaac say, the man he could have been, were he not given every chance to indulge in his worst impulses?[break][break]

Isaac almost wondered if it was fair to him. Would it be right to ask him to live on as if nothing was wrong, as if he could just be like anyone else? Was there a little corner of society where Zev could be tucked in, being himself without leaving a trail of agony in his wake? Or was this just the pipe dreaming of someone who couldn't let go of his mentor?[break][break]

"It was a bar in Slateport. Nicest one I've ever been to. Incredible food. Great atmosphere. And some of the best drinks out there, thanks to yours truly." The mischief in Isaac's smile was met only its bittersweetness. "It was my first job, once I finally got my life in something resembling shape. Learned a lot. Paid well. It was almost perfect."[break][break]

"And then, just like the Floristry, it was here one day and gone the next. Not even a trace. Just an empty storefront."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2024 9:39:27 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"I could never afford to eat out. When you eat at a bar, you're paying for the experience. Experience doesn't fill a belly."

Ah, but it was a delight to feast and indulge upon spectacle. It was what made life worth living, beyond the tedium of everyday life. People did not simply thrive upon food and drink, but connections and new experiences. Isaac's bonds in Rocket were poisoned and noxious, but they had been bonds, formed from comradery and teamwork.

As poisoned as they were, they had been genuine, once. Yet there was one bond that Howard and Isaac both shared that was dark and twisted, forged from dark crystal as black as pitch.

■■■. No, that wasn't it. His name was ■■■. He tried again. ■■■.

He still couldn't say it.

"What connects both of these places, besides you?" Howard smiled mirthlessly. "Maybe you're the key. Don't come by my place. I don't want it vanishing overnight too."

Silence followed. He stared at the fire. His clothes steamed some more, and he felt his missing eyeball twitch. It always did that when he was stressed. Phantom pains never fully left, emotional or physical. Leaving Rocket had likely left Isaac the same, though Howard would never feel that himself.

He was Rocket's.

"History agrees with you. I do not." Howard looked at his hand and clenched it. There was always that moment of satisfaction before victory. When a soldier killed another, there was always that brief spark of satisfaction and pride in their own skill. That was primal. It was unfair. Yet it was real, human.

What rose people above beasts was they they could feel ashamed of such things. Yet there was an idealism to Isaac Merlo that Howard admired more and more. He was a good man who had risen above the system that had confined him. He was a liberator of himself and of others.

He'd tell Isaac what he knew. That way he could wash his hands of the pain of knowing about the owner of Howling at the Moon. He could return to normal, and not have to wake up every night, screaming of dark crystals.

"Isaac." His eye bore into the younger man. "Can you keep a secret? Promise me."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2024 23:34:18 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Well, hey. Ain't my job anymore, so it's not like I'm gonna charge." Eventually, it would be, if the plan brewing in the back of Isaac's head bore any fruit. But that was then. This was now. All he had to sell that dream on was a mischievous smirk and an endless well of hopes. Maybe that wasn't so bad. It'd gotten him this far, after all.[break][break]

For now, there were more important things to tackle. Isaac being cursed, for example. At Howard's suggestion, he couldn't help but laugh. "Oh, trust me, buddy. You're not the first guy to think I'm cursed," he admitted. He was the first and foremost pushing that truth. Even before his life became a plaything of gods and monsters, he lived by it. "But that's all the more reason to keep on kicking. If life's gonna curse me, like hell am I gonna let it win."[break][break]

Spite. It was rarely a motivation of heroes, and yet here Isaac stood.[break][break]

They didn't quite see eye to eye. Nevertheless, the unlikely hero and the unlikely villain sat across the table from one another as friends, each nursing their hidden secrets. The same man tormented and fascinated them both from the shadows. Did they know their pain came from a single source? Or did each admire the other's strength while pitying their ignorance?[break][break]

If they did, it wouldn't be for long. Howard was ready to come clean, and Isaac accepted his invitation with a smile. "Not a word," he promised, the creed he would live by once he'd finished building this new life for himself. "Hit me."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 19, 2024 2:48:16 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
The comment of Isaac being cursed caused Howard's eye to widen. He tilted back his head and let out a roaring laugh. Isaac was cursed, yes, but it was all just so funny. They were both cursed by circumstance and that would never change, but that word in particular was too hilarious not to laugh at.

Fate laughed at everyone in the end.

"I can think of someone far more Cursed than you." Howard said, vestiges of mirth still on his face. "Sorry to say.

came to mind.

After taking a second to catch his breath, Howard sighed and stared at the fire. Warmth. How long had it been since he felt that? Not physical warmth, but emotional warmth. Chatting by the fire was one of life's greatest luxuries, and Howard hadn't experienced it since his promotion. All he saw now were cold glares from colleagues and worried expressions from grunts.

They looked at him like he had changed, like his rank defined him. His colleagues likely whispered behind his back, talking about how he shamed their position by virtue of filling a seat as admin. , , and had to despise him. A disloyal coward filling the seat of admin? Oh, how he mocked them.

That had to be what they thought.

When he joined Rocket, he thought that his troubles would be behind him. He wouldn't want for money again. He could simply sell artifacts and dig up fossils, and never work with his colleagues. It had been a boyhood dream to be an archaeologist, and he had become one. Now, he didn't know what he was.

"Isaac..." He swallowed.

When did that boy die, he wondered? When he had joined Rocket? When he had taken up the mantle of admin? When he shot that girl out of the sky? When he blasted his best friend? When he was younger, he had wanted to be like Bailey Cooper. Somewhere along the way, he had become instead.

It was Howard Slayte that had soiled Team Rocket, not the other way around.

"I'm from Rocket."

An admission. Honesty. As the words fled his lips, he felt more liberated than ever before.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 19, 2024 21:16:57 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]Many people would bristle at such an admission. The most diehard would ring up the nearest League official, or even take matters into their own hands. Even those who say they wouldn't care often had their smile strain and the light fade from their eyes, their opinion of the newly-minted Rocket grunt irreparably damaged.[break][break]

Yet Isaac knew there was no sense throwing stones from his glass life.[break][break]

"Y'know? It's the funniest thing." Step by step, Isaac faded back into the kitchen, his descent heralded by a hiss of steam. "I met a Grunt once. Guy with a real passion for history, even if he feared being on the wrong side of it. Kind of a drama queen, if you ask me. But, hell. In a place like Hoenn, I think we all earned it."[break][break]

"Always had a soft spot for him, y'know. Guy's got guts." A chuckle drifted back out from the kitchen, followed by the smell of freshly brewed hot chocolate. "Reminds me of myself, back when I was living that life. But I'm not the only one I'm reminded of. After all, guy seemed like the type to run screaming out of a Burger Kingler talking about the horrors plaguing his life." Before long, Isaac stood before Howard, offering a warm cup of hot chocolate and an even warmer smile.[break][break]

"Good to meet ya, Admin Fox."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2024 0:26:52 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Admin Fox.

Who had given him that name? There had been a day where a nameless face had called him that, and it had stuck. Why? Did Walsh give it to him as a joke? As a mockery of and everything that the prince had stood for? Did it amuse the boss to bestow a name onto someone so stark a contrast from the one who held it before?

No. Howard didn't remember when, but he was sure that he had given himself that name for a purpose.

"You knew." His voice was soft, nary a whisper. "You knew."

The cup stayed in Isaac's hands as Howard wiped his functioning eye free of tears. When his face was still wet, he frowned and tapped his face. There were tears coming from the other socket.

Those, he wiped too.

"It wasn't a particularly good disguise. I thought I was good at hiding my emotions, but you..." He took the cup and squeezed to near breaking. "I wanted to believe in you, in what you are. I guess that made me loosen the mask."

He really did want to believe in Isaac, in the dream that a man tied to Rocket could finally leave. He wanted it to be true, and maybe it was. Maybe an ordinary member of Rocket could escape into the night, and put this nightmare behind them.

Yet the shadows were lengthening. The door that Isaac had taken was shut to him, now. An admin could not leave Rocket. Never.

What Isaac represented was beautiful because it could not be attained.

"Burger Kingler." Howard's smile was distant, as if he was smiling at something a million miles away. "I had forgotten about that. It was so random, yet deliberate. The universe wanted something to happen there, but I shut the door in its face."

His face paled as he remembered. 'Plaguing his life' as an apt description, but it had been Isaac's pain for far longer. Soon, it'd stretch far beyond the two of them.

"This was a mistake. He'll find out."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 24, 2024 2:03:57 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Took you tipping me off to make me put it all together," Isaac admitted. "Don't get me wrong. I knew you were a class-A weirdo. But, man. It's Hoenn. Who among us?" Hoenn was where normalcy came to die. It was also where an inordinate amount of people came to die, but that part was a lot less fun to talk about.[break][break]

The only thing that survived here was the unbreakable human spirit. No matter how often Howard argued his was snuffed out, it showed in everything he did.[break][break]

At the mention of disguises, Isaac offered up a sympathetic smile. "Hey. I just slapped on a half-mask and Batmanned the fuck out of my voice," he admitted. "Pretty sure the only reason I slipped under the radar so much was because I was too much of a nobody to think twice about. Though, uh . . ." Isaac looked around the room. If he squinted, he could already see the foundations atop which his new life would be built.[break][break]

"Maybe we're not giving ourselves enough credit."[break][break]

Did Howard shut the door in life's face? Or did it slip in through the window while he wasn't looking? Isaac didn't give a hot gay fuck about the machinations of fate. Predestination was a load of bull people used to make themselves feel better. However, he did know that life was full of surprises. It shipped them out them with reckless abandon, and in many ways he'd become it's favorite delivery boy.[break][break]

"So, who's this he, anyway? looking for an excuse to finish the fight? Or . . ." With a sigh, Isaac found his fingers tightening around his own mug of hot coffee. Ice started to spread across its surface, but he willed it to stop before his drink was ruined. "Or is it the horror you've been talking about?"

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2024 6:10:07 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"? That'd be easy, wouldn't it? I can understand him. He speaks the language mankind has been uttering since time immemorial: blood and loyalty." A universal language, it didn't matter which region you went to, it was universal. Kanto had learned that lesson most recently. Howard stared at the fire.

"It's not him."

It'd be easier if it was. Cillian's motivations were human. He simply wanted what was best for Rocket. It made him an unstoppable force of conviction, but it made him remarkably easy to predict. As long as you stood out of his way, you could avoid being trampled. A storm was a storm, but a weather vane could predict whichever way the winds would turn.

But what did you do when the storm was otherworldly? Eldritch? Impossible? How did you run from that?

By not being noticed. It was a trick that nobody realized worked yet, but Howard had learned to accept that Rocket was full of the selfish, the mad, and the deluded. There were a few exceptions, like and , but for the most part? Mad.

Madness was a necessity for Rocket to dance to the song of .

No, don't think about it. Think of him as ■■■. Less to think about, less for him to notice. It was best to remain hidden, to remain safe and secure, even at the cost of another. If that made him a coward, fine. It made him an alive coward.

"I cannot say, but..." Howard trailed off. There was an opportunity here, if he was bold enough to take it. Did he dare place his chips on Isaac Merlo, a person who babbled on about ideals that he himself could not fully realize?

The answer was immediate. Yes.

"There will be an expedition soon." Howard said, drinking deeply from his mug of hot chocolate. "You're familiar with that new cave network near Oldale?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2024 18:08:53 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Figured as much. It's not his style." With a sigh, Isaac turned his focus towards the fire. "He wouldn't hurt his own. Not unless he thought they needed it. And even then, he'd never menace them." It was something he couldn't help but respect for, in spite of everything.[break][break]

"I should know that better than anyone. I ever tell you about the time he made me take a life?"[break][break]

It was hard to talk about it with the League. Would they understand? He figured they would. He was only even here because they did, or because he was useful enough in spite of it, or because they pitied him. That didn't mean he liked talking about it, though. Around them, he felt that pressure to be more than what he was.[break][break]

But Howard? He was the last person who could judge.[break][break]

"Took me in a room. Gave me a weapon and a traitor. Told me if I didn't prove myself then and there, it would've been me instead." He couldn't help but laugh a little, but there was no joy to it. Only a simmering bitterness. "Arceus, I did a terrible job of it. Always knew I wasn't built for killing, but like hell if that day didn't prove it. I still see those terrified eyes looking back whenever I close mine. Maybe they wouldn't be so judging if I at least knew how to make it quick."[break][break]

"That's the day it all made sense, I think. Rocket didn't change. This is what it was always about, and I never really belonged. I just hid myself from the worst of if 'til I couldn't anymore." With a sigh, he turned back to face Howard. "Don't think I'm meant for this, either. But I know too much to just walk away now. Trust me. I thought about it."[break][break]

"Wonder if ol' Cil knows I still care about you guys as much as he does."[break][break]

Now both of them had brought a forbidden secret to the table, one way or another. At the mention of the expedition, frustration knit in Isaac's brow. "What's that? Everyone's gonna start swarming another scar on our region to try and use it for all it's worth? Wow. What a shocker."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights