Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Past, The Future, And The Demons Between The Cracks [S]
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2024 21:17:28 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Traitor. Traitor. Traitor.

Howard was a traitor. It was a miracle that he wasn't being left in a room as a lesson for new recruits. If he had been more desperate with less pride, he might've joined Rocket a few years earlier, rather than face his debt and let it ruminate for a few extra years. He might've been marked as a traitor back then.

If things had been different, Isaac could've ended Howard's life. The systemic crushing of another dream under the weight of Cillian's iron heel.

"I've never killed somebody. It..." It's a truth. It's the main thing that keeps him different from the rest of his colleagues. The wall that splits him from the menagerie. Howard's words falter as he attempts to make his logic consistent. "...wasn't needed. Not every member of Rocket is needed to kill. If that was the case, Sootopolis would be defended by shadows.."

Instead, Rocket would rely on the the threat of death. Better to killed, rather than be killed.

"Even now, I don't swing the knife. Others do it for me. It's so... easy when you only need to say the word, not swing the sword."

He did not order deaths. He simply kept Rocket wealthy. He was different. He had to be. Howard did not want to die. He did not have Isaac's bravery.

"Of course, that's how we met, remember. Not at that swamp, but on that island? Murkrows feasting on this region's carrion." A tight smile, full of regret and nostalgia. It had been months ago, but it felt more like years. "You'll find your answer there, I think."

His eye flicked up to Isaac, curious.

"If you're brave enough. Your business with Rocket isn't finished yet, right?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 4, 2024 14:30:06 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","topimage"]

[attr="class","textbox"]As Howard tried to steel his nerve, Isaac could only answer with a sharp, biting laugh. It was weary, almost hollow. Instead of Isaac's own enjoyment, grim-grinning ghosts filled the space between. Isaac's own personal one. The dozens he witnessed personally. The hundreds he indirectly touched. The thousands he and Howard shared.[break][break]

"I used to think that too, y'know."[break][break]

Mists rolled into Isaac's home. Pressure crept in its wake, as if anything the rolling mists touched was bogged down by their presence. It was the perfect atmosphere for a ghost story. "Told myself if I stayed a step ahead of the game, if I kept being useful in other ways, they'd never need me for it. And that was my first mistake. They didn't need me to be some gun for hire. But I was too useful, and that meant they'd need to count on me when they needed me most."[break][break]

"It doesn't matter what you do ninety-nine times. The one time they need you to kill? They expect you to kill."[break][break]

The weight of the Pressure, both external and internal, left shapes dancing in the mists. A colossus of ice, towering over a tiny battlefield. A desperate man chasing after shadows. A dark hurricane brewing in the distance. Two red spotlights seemed to glow through the mists. They settled upon Howard, equal parts serene and strangely imposing.[break][break]

"Can't even say it's a hypothetical. You got dragged into the biggest fight of your life. Couldn't push the button, because the guy holding the knife damn near got himself killed. If they didn't sound the retreat, you would've had to pick it up for him. All for the glory of Rocket, of course."[break][break]

Fear burned in Isaac's guts. He turned to Alfred, whispering something before the ghostly cup sped off. Like a set of heavy footfalls, Howard would hear door after door closing shut. Each was punctuated by another word. "A traitor. A legend's playmate. Someone willing to stand against himself. Someone who shouldn't be anywhere near this war, but keeps showing her face anyway."[break][break]

"If push came to shove, they'd look you in the eye and expect you to kill ."[break][break]

The accusation, no, the warning hung between the two. It was thicker than the mists and heavier than any of the Pressure that had spread through the house. It was deafening, all without needing Isaac to raise his voice above a whisper.[break][break]

"But I know you don't really believe that. You're an Admin. You damn well know what the chains of command mean for you. No, no. You're just a coward, hoping if you keep trying not to look the truth in the eye it'll never come to pass." Another laugh, this one's bitterness aimed entirely inward, sliced through the mists. "A coward just like me."[break][break]

In truth, Isaac was still bound to those same blackened chains Howard was. He still bore the scars of where they'd bitten into him. He still carried the weight of those bound alongside him, past, present, and even future. He'd literally had his own rot carved out of him by , the culmination of his life and death alike.[break][break]

"Guess that answers your question, huh?" He sighed, and with it the mists began to ebb away. Their guest would finally make its presence known, the third party between Isaac and Howard on that damned island. "My business with Rocket'll never be over. I'm cursed with knowledge, man. And I can't just walk away when people are gonna slip through the cracks like I did."[break][break]

"And that means I'm not gonna turn my back on you, either."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] --color:#c4c067; [/newclass]
[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2024 9:30:12 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Is that so? Then keep turning, Isaac. Turn until your back faces me."

He did not deserve salvation. The cog in the machine did not deserved to be free. He acknowledged Isaac's ideal and he allowed himself to bask in its glow before releasing himself from the spectacle that it was. It was the same mantra uttered across centuries and centuries, since the world was young. He would acknowledge it and he would respect it.

But it would never come to pass. History was a cycle. Yet if he could help Isaac's desire become reality, he would. If there was ever a day where he could walk free from his prison, he would take it.

"I will not. I won't lay a finger on her." The subject of was a loaded gun between them. Always present, easy to reach, lethal when used. The admin's face became clammy as he felt the weight of Pressure on his back. Remarkably, he did not break his gaze.

For all his talk of cowardice and fear, there was still a spine of steel holding up Howard's back.

"Nor will I harm you." At least, under Quinn held the gun to his head. Then his position would be put into question. That can could be kicked down the road. He could not protect Eris, not from herself. "Eris is more defended than Goode is at this point. Between you, Navy, she's got an all-star team."

He drank his hot chocolate and put the glass down with a clink. He stood up and put his hand on his hip.

"Go into that chasm and see for yourself, then. There's one demon left between the cracks. One bigger than most. I... He..." Howard gestured vaguely, then gave up. Words failed him. All that was left was fear and trauma and grief. The expression that hung on his face was such a hopeless picture.

He was sending Isaac Merlo to die. It wasn't fair. He deserved to live.

But if there was even a ghost of a chance that Isaac could win against that monster, then he had to try. It was his obligation to this region, and to Eris. She couldn't live in a universe that shared him. Coexistence was impossible.

"You'll honor your promise? You won't tell a word of the tale of Howard Slayte, Admin Fox, and his golem?"

He needed to hear it again.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2024 1:10:20 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Took people helping me out for a year before I pulled my stubborn head out of my ass. And that's with a whole lot of bullshit tipping the scales in my favor." He'd gotten twenty years of life without Rocket to give him perspective. He alone remembered 's secret happiness. The rest of Rocket did not get such a luxury. "I know more than anyone you can't do this without help."[break][break]

Help couldn't be forced. It could only be given. Ergo, he refused to turn his back until it was taken.[break][break]

That meant, at least for the time being, the two of them were at an impasse. Howard wouldn't hurt , or even Isaac, even if it meant his death. Isaac wouldn't stop reaching out for Howard, even if it kept the target on his own back growing. "Glad we understand each other," he said, smile almost sharklike.[break][break]

At the mention of how well-protected Eris was, Isaac couldn't help but sigh gently. "Bold of you to assume she's even gonna let us help," he said. "You know how she is. And even if she trusts me and . . ." He thought back to Mesprit, boldly appearing to defy Lugia's will. In a just world, AQUA would be right by her side to support her. In the world they currently lived in?[break][break]

"Fuck, man. Love her like a sister, and I couldn't be prouder. But man does she worry me sometimes."[break][break]

In the aftermath of these promises, but two requests remained. The first was for Isaac to return to the resurfaced isle, to see the great demon whose name Howard dared not even speak. The second was for him to make his own pact of silence in return, to never share the history of the man who so badly yearned to stand among its ranks.[break][break]

"You deserve the chance to share your story. But that's not my choice to make. When you're ever ready, if you're ever ready, I'll have your back." It was a different spin, because Arceus forbid Isaac ever do things exactly the way he was asked. Yet it was a vow of silence nonetheless. "As for mine? Well, this point, doubt I could take mine back even if I wanted to."[break][break]

"Guess I just gotta keep writing it, huh?"

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2024 6:05:45 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Children are the future's potential. It's the duty of the old to give wisdom and protection to the young."

Eris Halla was self-destructive. There would come a day where she would destroy herself, most likely. When that occurred, she'd have to come to the realization that all of those actions were of her own free will. Whether it was the will of the universe or the will of a young girl, one day she would destroy herself.

It was up to this generation to ensure that such a thing couldn't happen.

"There is nothing you can do to rectify someone's nature. You can't make normal. You can't fix Walsh, or anyone. All we can do is keep going. I'm going to support my friends, and you will do the same."

He'd end up afraid by the time his resolve was tested. His spine was weak and fragile, and his nerves were like wet paper. Howard Slayte could not be trusted. A craven had little to offer a genuine hero, no matter how much the fearful longed to reach that lofty goal.

Still, he was someone that Isaac had.

"Of course. If you die, I'll write it for you. You will not become a forgotten figure in some ill-gotten tale. Your name will ring for centuries to come. I won't allow it." A complete history of the world was his goal. The truthful tale of Hoenn and its war. It would be written, chronicled, and archived for generations centuries later.

That was Howard's one great ambition. He was a simple man with one goal, fueled by love.

Then, he realized something.

"Someone needs to tell the stories of my colleagues, since the League won't. Since you're not officially one of us, that's left to me." , , . Who would tell their stories when this war was over and the executed were put on the block?

The League would erase it all. History was written by the victors.

Unacceptable.

"They don't deserve to be forgotten, either." Howard clenched his fist. "You know that more than anyone. I should get going, but..."

He contemplated Isaac for several seconds. The eye of a predator gleamed in the socket of a meek and demure man, incapable of raising a sword to defend himself. That was not required. He did not need a blade to fulfill his purpose in this world. Howard saw something in the Avatar's eyes that he approved of. With a nod, he reached out to shake the Liberator's hand.

"Thank you, Isaac Merlo."

close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
But I still believe, someday this lie will set me free
awards
4,748 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2024 6:47:49 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","adrie-cover"]
[attr="class","adrie-ban"]
[attr="class","adrie-lyric1"]To the monster you became
[attr="class","adrie-b"]
[attr="class","adrie-c"]
[attr="class","adrie-lyric2"]I'll be your CONTRADICTION
[attr="class","top-acc"]
[attr="class","adrie-content1"]
[attr="class","adrie-content2"]
[attr="class","adrie-img"]
[attr="class","adrie-img2"]
[attr="class","inner-finally"]The door creaks open, a pair of mismatched eyes peaking in to ascertain the situation. And though she doesn't outright speak it, there is a kind of sourness to her expression, as if she didn't particularly enjoy having the door closed on her for this conversation.[break][break]

Not that it would have been good manners to eavesdrop, but she's a bit too curious for her own good. The pressure that had flooded this house hasn't seemed to quite faze her. Perhaps, it hadn't even reached her at all. Regardless, she raises a brow at just how they take one another's hand.[break][break]

Probably not in the romantic way. Bromantic, maybe.[break][break]

Pushing her way fully into the room, she presents with a Teddiursa-patterned cooler bag and holds it out to Howard.[break][break]

"I made more lunch boxes for you." While they were having that super secret conversation she wasn't allowed to listen in on, is implied by her squint. "Make sure to keep 'em in the fridge and eat them before they go bad!"[break][break]

Following in her wake is Reiner, with a sulking Pichu on his head. They cradle a cookie tin, offering it with a heaping ton of reluctance.[break][break]

"Oh, and cookies for Doug! Can't forget those either..."
[attr="class","bottome-acc"]
[attr="class","adrie-note"] ||

KAY OF PIXEL PERFECT
[newclass=".adrie-cover"]background:#2B2B2B;border:solid 1px #2B2B2B;width:450px;padding:10px;margin:0 auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-ban"]position:relative;z-index:0;background:url(https://i.imgur.com/rd13hMM.jpg);-webkit-clip-path:polygon(50% 0%,100% 0,100% 75%,0 100%,0 0);clip-path:polygon(50% 0%,100% 0,100% 75%,0 100%,0 0);width:450px;height:200px;overflow:hidden;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-lyric1"]font-size:10px;color:#fff;letter-spacing:4px;position:absolute;text-transform:uppercase;font-family:roboto;text-align:right;padding-top:6px;margin-left:12px;text-shadow:1px 1px 0 #555,-1px -1px 0 #555,1px -1px 0 #555,-1px 1px 0 #555,3px 3px 5px #555;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-lyric2"]font-size:10px;color:#fff;letter-spacing:4px;position:absolute;text-transform:uppercase;font-family:roboto;text-align:right;padding-top:6px;margin-left:125px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-lyric2 b"]font-size:11px;color:#f41111;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-b"]width:0;height:276px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:-50px;transform:skew(-20deg);transition:width 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-cover:hover .adrie-b"]width:600px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-c"]width:590px;height:200px;transform:skew(20deg);margin-left:-78px;background-image:linear-gradient(rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3), rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3)), url(https://i.imgur.com/LkangdN.jpg);background-position:114px 0;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-content1"]background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/vQW3tEE.png);padding-top:40px;margin-top:-50px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-content2"]font-size:10px;line-height:14px;color:#a9a9a9;padding:40px;background:rgba(255,255,255,0);text-align:justify;font-family:arial;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-content2 b"]color:#b76e79;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-bg"]background:#f1f1f1;border:solid 1px #2B2B2B;width:150px;margin-top:10px;height:400px;background-attachment:fixed;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-heads"]font-size:10px;text-transform:uppercase;font-family:roboto;letter-spacing:1px;background:#f9f9f9;color:#444;font-weight:900;border:solid 1px #2B2B2B;width:115px;margin-top:20px;font-size:9px;margin-left:5px;padding:10px 0px 10px 20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-icon"]transition:0.2s all;opacity:0;position:absolute;margin-top:16px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-note"]font-size:8px;text-align:center;font-family:roboto;letter-spacing:3px;padding-top:18px;color:#fff;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-note a"]font-size:8px;font-family:roboto;letter-spacing:3px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-solid"]background:#ca3f46;height:20px;margin-top:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bottome-acc"]background:#581717;background-attachment:fixed;height:50px;margin-top:-25px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-img img"]margin-top:-80px;position:relative;position:absolute;margin-left:-30px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-cover:hover .adrie-note"]transition:0.6s all;opacity:1;[/newclass]
[newclass=".top-acc"]-webkit-clip-path:polygon(0 90%,100% 55%,100% 100%,0% 100%);clip-path:polygon(0 90%,100% 50%,100% 100%,0% 100%);background:#581717;height:100px;margin-top:-100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-img2 img"]shape-outside:circle(50%)!important;float:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=".inner-finally"]padding:20px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 1:01:03 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"That's what I used to think, y'know. Then I realized just how bullshit that is."[break][break]

Isaac thought back to his youth. He'd be the silver medal child, if he was even allowed to rate. Whenever his father was deep enough into a bottle, he made sure Isaac knew that he'd never amount to anything. He was just a stain on their otherwise perfect family. At best, he was better off seen and not heard. At worst, he was an outright mistake.[break][break]

"If I listened when I was told what my nature was, I would've been better off dying on the road." How much had he achieved, in defiance of everything he'd been told? How much had he grown? How many people had he connected with? How many hearts and minds had he changed? "Nurture's the other half. And that means sorting through all the crud they've filled our heads with it."[break][break]

"I've seen 's happiness, y'know."[break][break]

It felt like forever ago. He could barely see the man - no, the king - that Cil had grown into. Nevertheless, the silhouette of a distant possibility, born from a world that never was, couldn't help but linger at the edges of Isaac's brain. How could he say that Cil was beyond help when he was all too aware that there was another way?[break][break]

"He'll never be that way again. Not while Rocket's still around. But in that other world, in Galar, where we thought we'd never see Rocket again? For once in his life, he was free. He could finally pull out that chain and be himself." He remembered those earliest days, where he feared Cil or would try and crush Motostoke beneath their heels. Instead, for once, they were on the same page.[break][break]

"I'm not an idiot. I know even if Rocket went away, the League could never forgive him. Fuck, man. I don't think I can forgive him for what he did to me. But . . . a world where he didn't have to become a slave to this war-" He thought back to every action Cil took, both noble and monstrous alike. Even when he questioned Rocket, he could never bring himself to oppose it.[break][break]

"Or where he didn't feel like all he had left was to die for the cause-" It was he thought of now, how the man always seemed but a knife's edge away from a fate he believed it was inevitable. The two were made for each other, their genuine love and devotion nonetheless hopelessly intertwined with Rocket's toxicity. It brought out their best as much as it strangled the life out of them.[break][break]

"If I could find that way to give them that chance again, to get them far, far way to a new start, I think I'd take it."[break][break]

For a second, the chill and the pressure in the room stopped. Suicune simply watched, its brightly glowing eyes disappearing over and over again as it blinked repeatedly. Then, with enough force to shake Isaac's home and send the mists hurtling away, Suicune doubled over in a fit of barking laughter. There was no malice to the sound, yet there was no humor either. Instead, it was a sound born of pure surprise, underlined only by a warm upswell of pride.[break][break]

So this was what it meant to be the Liberator.[break][break]

Howard extended a hand for a shake. Isaac took one look at it, shrugged, and then pulled him in for a hug. Much like Suicune's laugh, it was a bold gesture, supported and underlined by his pride. "Like hell am I gonna let that happen," Isaac said, not caring who or what overheard his ambitions. "You're not monsters. You're people. And if the world forgets that, this'll all happen again."[break][break]

Were SEA Hoenn monsters? Of course not. They were literally their reflections, their antagonism born through mutual push and pull. Were the Megalopians monsters? They ate people, which Isaac didn't exactly vibe with, and yet he also saw the signs of how Necrozma had broken them. Even the legends, inscrutable godly beings as they were, were still Pokemon like any other. Suicune imbued him with power beyond compare, and yet here they were laughing their majestic ass off in the face of his audacity.[break][break]

Eris came in, the future that Isaac dedicated his increasingly improbable, rapidly shortening life towards fighting for. He wondered how much of what they'd said that she'd overheard. He wondered how much of it she'd agree with. This wasn't her fight, and yet here she was, suffering for it far more than most. He wondered just how unfair it was that she never had a say.[break][break]

All the more reason to keep his head held high, right?

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG — @ [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 9:21:23 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
They were monsters, and they would get the sword when this war was over.

But it was fine to pretend that it'd be okay for a moment. This was a precise moment in time where it was okay to remember that everything was fine, and that life wasn't a cruel jape that ended with Howard's head on a spike. He allowed himself to mull on Isaac's words, to get drunk on the dream of freedom.

Rocket members were people. Yes, that made sense. They were people. Vile and abhorrent, disgusting and rotten, cruel and rejected. Yet every single member of Rocket was a person. They could not be swept away by the League once this is over. They needed someone to guide them. Someone who saw beyond this ceaseless war.

Someone who cared.

"The world will forget. It's in our nature to do so. You're wasting your time. In a generation, our war will continue and we'll forget it all again." Howard muttered into his shoulder as his eye watered. No, eyes. Tears welled in his missing eye's socket around the Key Stone. He accepted and melded into the hug. "But I won't."

Howard would remember. He watched, he saw, he chronicled, he recalled. The culmination of history was his to unfurl, and the present was his to observe and preserve.

He made a vow to never look forward, because he found it meaningless. There was no need to predict the future when everything would run in repeat. Wars would be waged, people would die, people would vow to never repeat such an atrocity, people would repeat it.

This was to be mankind's samsara.

"If only I had met you earlier, Isaac Merlo. Just think of the worlds I might've seen, of the dreams I might've witnessed."

Looking forward had been meaningless, but was it not a historian's duty to prepare others for what was to come? Isaac Merlo was one of those people. He would fight for the future with the knowledge Howard armed him with.

Ideal. Paradise.

Howard stopped dreaming, and returned to reality.

"Perhaps you're right, Merlo." He didn't say a word about his true feelings. He wouldn't mar the moment, but his thoughts didn't change. Someone's nature did not change. It merely revealed itself. Every person had a true nature. Isaac had finally found his, and Cillian's revealed itself in that eternal dream. "Perhaps you're right.

He exited the hug and turned to Eris.

"Little lady." Howard took a knee and looked at the Teddiursa bag with a faint smile. He thought of Doug, snoozing away in a Pokeball. He looked at the cookie tin and rattled it, hearing the baked goods within. "Thank you."

He hugged her tight. In that moment, there was no doubt that he'd raise a hand to harm Eris.

"Thank you."

close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
awards
4,748 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2024 23:14:02 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","adrie-b"]
[attr="class","adrie-c"]
[attr="class","top-acc"]
[attr="class","inner-finally"]"Mhmm?"[break][break]

It's always strange seeing other people bend to her height. But when they do, it always makes her feel like she's a part of their world.[break][break]

"Are you okay?" Did she mess up with the cookies? Why is he rattling them? Much like a squeaky toy being squished, she does in fact, let out a bit of a squeak when hugged.[break][break]

"Did they bully you? Suicune can be a bit of a bully."[break][break]

That there is a sentiment that her Pichu agrees with, nodding sagely at the laughing gay dog.[break][break]

"Don't let 'em bully you. You're stronger than you think." As she eases into the hug, she returns it with quiet pats on the back. "But if you ever feel like you need help beating up the bullies, call me! I'll be there!"
[attr="class","adrie-note"] ||

KAY OF PIXEL PERFECT
[newclass=".adrie-cover"]background:#2B2B2B;border:solid 1px #2B2B2B;width:450px;padding:10px;margin:0 auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-ban"]position:relative;z-index:0;background:url(https://i.imgur.com/rd13hMM.jpg);-webkit-clip-path:polygon(50% 0%,100% 0,100% 75%,0 100%,0 0);clip-path:polygon(50% 0%,100% 0,100% 75%,0 100%,0 0);width:450px;height:200px;overflow:hidden;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-lyric1"]font-size:10px;color:#fff;letter-spacing:4px;position:absolute;text-transform:uppercase;font-family:roboto;text-align:right;padding-top:6px;margin-left:12px;text-shadow:1px 1px 0 #555,-1px -1px 0 #555,1px -1px 0 #555,-1px 1px 0 #555,3px 3px 5px #555;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-lyric2"]font-size:10px;color:#fff;letter-spacing:4px;position:absolute;text-transform:uppercase;font-family:roboto;text-align:right;padding-top:6px;margin-left:125px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-b"]width:0;height:276px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:-50px;transform:skew(-20deg);transition:width 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-c"]width:590px;height:200px;transform:skew(20deg);margin-left:-78px;background-image:linear-gradient(rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3), rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3)), url(https://i.imgur.com/LkangdN.jpg);background-position:114px 0;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-content1"]background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/vQW3tEE.png);padding-top:40px;margin-top:-50px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-content2"]font-size:10px;line-height:14px;color:#a9a9a9;padding:40px;background:rgba(255,255,255,0);text-align:justify;font-family:arial;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-bg"]background:#f1f1f1;border:solid 1px #2B2B2B;width:150px;margin-top:10px;height:400px;background-attachment:fixed;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-heads"]font-size:10px;text-transform:uppercase;font-family:roboto;letter-spacing:1px;background:#f9f9f9;color:#444;font-weight:900;border:solid 1px #2B2B2B;width:115px;margin-top:20px;font-size:9px;margin-left:5px;padding:10px 0px 10px 20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-icon"]transition:0.2s all;opacity:0;position:absolute;margin-top:16px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-note"]font-size:8px;text-align:center;font-family:roboto;letter-spacing:3px;padding-top:18px;color:#fff;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-note a"]font-size:8px;font-family:roboto;letter-spacing:3px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-solid"]background:#ca3f46;height:20px;margin-top:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bottome-acc"]background:#581717;background-attachment:fixed;height:50px;margin-top:-25px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-img img"]margin-top:-80px;position:relative;position:absolute;margin-left:-30px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-cover:hover .adrie-note"]transition:0.6s all;opacity:1;[/newclass]
[newclass=".top-acc"]-webkit-clip-path:polygon(0 90%,100% 55%,100% 100%,0% 100%);clip-path:polygon(0 90%,100% 50%,100% 100%,0% 100%);background:#581717;height:100px;margin-top:-100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".adrie-img2 img"]shape-outside:circle(50%)!important;float:left;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 2:42:56 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"It's my life. I get to waste it how I want it." His words were glib, but his fear was real. He still had no idea if Suicune's blessings would take their toll, and how heavy of a price he had to pay. A part of him was convinced they'd be the death of him. Another knew they were why he even lived. "But if I can stop people from wasting theirs as much as I've wasted mine, it'll all be worth it."[break][break]

It wouldn't be too late for Howard to see those worlds, or witness those dreams. It wouldn't even be too late for him to make them come true, whether with his own two hands or with the help of someone like Isaac. He'd already been too late once, a price that had paid dearly. He refused to ever let it happen again.[break][break]

He couldn't force change. But he could fight for it, tooth and nail, until his heart stopped beating.[break][break]

At mention of being a bully, Suicune let out a puzzled, almost offended howl. Isaac, on the other hand, could only snicker. "You're right, sis. We're just oh so horrible," he joked. "All the more reason for you to toughen him up. It's just getting too easy these days!"[break][break]

Maybe between the two of them, they could chip away at those barbed chains. Nobody knew how it felt the way they did.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,758 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 4:10:28 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Suicune almost drowned me once, but we're best of buds. I'm gonna ask him about Ecruteak's tax code one of these days."

The admin rose to his feet and walked towards the door. When he reached the handle, he stopped. The handle felt cold. His hand twitched. There was no ice covering his body, no faint whiff of Dynergy to poison his mind and soul. He felt their weight, all the same. The weight of the world was such a heavy burden.

"I'm tired, Isaac. I'm tired, but I'm not broken." His voice was heavy. Idealism mixed with pessimism was a potent combination, capable of triumphing over the darkest nights. "We are friends, despite being on opposite sides of this war."

His hand tightened on the door with fervor. When this war ended, information would be lost. This battle would've been for nothing. The League would win this great war. Howard was certain of it now, but the

"But know that I would move continents to ensure a better future for our children. For her."

His eye lingered on Suicune. He wondered how it felt about having its homeland ravaged by Rocket. Was it angry? Sad? Apathetic? Did it hate Howard on principle? Had it seen so many deaths that it could no longer care? Howard's eye was just as ancient as Suicune's. He had seen histories and epochs stretched out before him, an eternal tapestry that stretched forward and backwards.

History was a samsara. Howard knew how this would end. With Rocket trampled and their stories forgotten, the various grunts and beasts and admins burned from the history book.

Unacceptable. The members of Team Rocket did not deserve to simply fade away.

"Become a hero, Isaac. Make it count." The door creaked open. "I love you both. Have a good night."

The door shut, leaving the Liberator alone with his little sister.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2024 18:31:50 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Oi. You literally asked for it, remember?" Isaac gave Howard a teasing nudge with his elbow. " 'Men like me don't deserve to leave boats in one piece. You're going to have to beat the crap out of me to make them believe it, oh hero.' "[break][break]

He had to take the shot. After all, they were friends.[break][break]

"I getcha, man. Sometimes, I wonder if I broke a long time ago and just didn't realize it." There wasn't even any sorrow to his smile. There was only the cheeky grin of a man who had nothing left to lose and everything left to gain. "Just means, no matter how far they push me, they can never break me again. Isn't that great?"[break][break]

Suicune's head tilted ever so slightly, both from Isaac's words and from Howard's lingering look. It was funny. For all Howard lionized them as a piece of history, that couldn't have been further from the truth. They were an outlier, another reality's Suicune brought here through means they could no longer remember for reasons they could no longer recall. The death of this Johto, and the sins of this Kanto, had no bearing on it. The loss they felt could be sympathy, even empathy, but never the true depths of understanding.[break][break]

They were a stranger lionized as a god. They came bearing gifts to an idiot lionized as a hero. Strangers, outcasts, lost souls, was it any surprise that the two gravitated towards one another? Was it any surprise that they, in turn, gravitated to the strange, sad man lingering in their doorframe?[break][break]

The Pressure settled around Howard for but a moment, like a weighted blanket in a sacred spring. He would always be welcome here.[break][break]

"Well. How about we put that whole better future thing to the test?" Isaac turned to Eris, giving her hair a quick ruffle. "Step 1 of a better tomorrow; actually making it to tomorrow. C'mon, sis. Let's get you to sleep." It was starting to get all too dark outside. The last thing he wanted was for nightbrain to set in.[break][break]

In the corner of the room, a brief pulse of static flickered across the TV. The strangest part was that Isaac hadn't even plugged it in.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
awards
4,748 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2024 21:52:26 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","adrie-b"]
[attr="class","adrie-c"]
[attr="class","top-acc"]
[attr="class","inner-finally"]It worries her when they speak of the future. One that shines brightly for her, that never seems to include them. But as he speaks his mind, as Howard's figure fades into the dark of night, what exactly can she do? Nothing has happened, and all she can do is pray.[break][break]

For tonight, for tomorrow, for the days to come.[break][break]

Messy hair knots and trips her attention, hands swatting at Isaac's own as she squeaks and shies away.[break][break]

"Do I really have to?" A pout prefaces those puppy eyes, but a paw reaches over to cover that face before it becomes super effective.[break][break]

"Reiwneer!!"[break][break]

While some of her brothers have grown immune to that look, Reiner knows that limits must not be tested right now, lest Eris think she can get away with more. And he'll give Isaac that side eye, the one that tells him to act before he falls for her tricks. With any luck and a bit of masterful finangling, the little troublemaker would be all swaddled up and tucked into a cozy dream.
[attr="class","adrie-note"]

KAY OF PIXEL PERFECT

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON May 5, 2024 20:49:52 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]The world fell quiet and still. Even , impossible of a feat as it was, had finally shuffled off to sleep. Perhaps on a night like this, even one as restless as Isaac could finally find the peace and quiet that he had never known.[break][break]

And yet, as always, it eluded him.[break][break]

Was it the weight of the world that settled upon his chest? Was it the weight of his own expectations? Or, perhaps, was it something stranger still? As Isaac peered through his strained eyelids, he could faintly make out a shape sitting atop his chest. It sat, arms wrapped around its knees. Even from such a distance, Isaac could hear the sound of its teeth grinding against each other as if it were whispering right in his ear.[break][break]

At 4:44, he stowed his fear and forced himself to look the creature in the eye. It turned towards him, its eyes glimmering like purloined jewels. As it tilted its head at an unnatural angle, a razor-toothed grin seemed to tear its features apart. A shadowy glow outlined its claws, once buried into the crook of its knees, as they began to unfurl one by one. The last unhooked, and the creature began to rise, yet sleep took Isaac before he could see what happened next.[break][break]

There was no sign of the strange creature when Isaac awoke at 7:06 in the morning. Instead, as he reached for his chest, he felt the unmistakable boxy corners of a video tape.[break][break]

"The hell is this? The 90s?" Despite his attempt at being glib, his voice quivered with a nervous edge. "Do I even have anything to play this junk on?" He clutched "this junk" tight, as if it were a lifeline, and turned to roll out of bed. Instead of the edge of the bedside, a hard impact greeted him. "The fuck-?" Hardwood. As Isaac peeked up, the edge of the couch loomed over him.[break][break]

"Saves me a walk, at least." Isaac pried himself off the ground, shaking the daze from his freshly-knocked noggin. A hissing sound quickly caught his attention. The TV was on. The TV was unplugged. The TV was calling up static at a mile a minute, dots of black and white pulsating as if they were alive. As Isaac set a hand to his heart, he noticed they were moving to the same beat.[break][break]

He didn't know what possessed him to hold the video tape up to the TV, and yet he did. An electric arm burst forth, passing through the screen as if it weren't even there, and snatched it.[break][break]

The shapes in the static began to take form; Isaac, jolted upright, staring down the unnatural-looking Sableye that had settled upon his chest. Even as its shadow claws finished unfurling, and even as his memory of the night faltered, the Isaac on screen held his eye contact firm. They stared each other down, the Sableye's jaws parting hungrily and its claws settling atop Isaac's throat.[break][break]

"How interesting." Isaac damn near jumped out of his skin at the sound of the a text-to-speech device droned in his ear. He looked left, then right, before finally feeling his hair pulled up on end. A Rotom, body crackling with static electricity, floated down from above to meet his gaze. "Even as it means you harm, you can't bring yourself to look away."[break][break]

"Are you truly so foolish?"[break][break]

With a harsh buzz, the "channel" changed. Now sat atop Isaac's chest, fingers buried in his throat. Isaac could feel his windpipe hitch at the sight. "They'll kill you, you know." Another buzz, another change, with taking his place. "Whether you fear them, or you mourn them." . . . . . . "Whether they are broken-" . . "-fools-" . . . "-or simply too gutless to make their choice."[break][break]

The footage flashed through a montage in reverse, starting with leaving Isaac's house and ending with the day they met.[break][break]

"Is this truly you taking a stand?" Isaac ran a hand on his neck, a thousand claw marks from a thousand talons. "Or are you simply afraid to let go? Of the memories you formed with them? The lessons they taught you? The people you thought they were? The idea that someone such as yourself could ever deserve redemption?"[break][break]

"Fuck you." It was as if the Rotom had his throat in the same vice grip. Just as he had with the Sableye, just as he had with the parade of phantasms that haunted him that night, Isaac refused to break eye contact. " 'Course I'm scared. Who wouldn't be? I've got a target on my back, a weight on my shoulders, and threw out the last year of my life."[break][break]

"And yet."[break][break]

"Being scared's the only reason I could do this. I've got too much skin in the game to just walk away. Not from Hoenn. And not from them." The TV static shifted from lost soul to lost soul, and yet Isaac refused to let them snatch his attention from the Rotom. "So I'm not gonna."[break][break]

"Then what are you going to do?"[break][break]

"The best I can." Isaac said it was if it was the most natural thing in the world. "I've done more than I could ever dream of, and it's all 'cause life gave me a chance. And I'm just some foolish coward from the middle of nowhere. Imagine how much better off the region could be if everyone had that shot."[break][break]

"And if they waste it?"[break][break]

"Then at least they can say they had one."[break][break]

"Turn it against you?"[break][break]

"Then I stand and fight."[break][break]

The static from the TV rippled and warbled, as if the Rotom were chuckling. "You truly are a Fool. But perhaps that is why you are needed, for better or for worse." Something clattered behind Isaac. It was a simple device, the one Eris had once used in her guise as Rosmontis. With it no longer needed, the Rotom fell silent. Instead, it floated back into the unplugged television. Its shadow split the bursts of static, bending them into crude approximations of text.[break][break]

ACCEPT?[break]
Y/N.[break][break]

Once more, the universe presented him an impossible chance. And as Isaac set his hand atop the Y, he had once more made an impossible choice.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights