Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,841 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Chasing Shades on the Wall
POSTED ON May 2, 2024 7:10:22 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Nebula's goal was the capture and containment of high-value assets that could help reach Regidrago, the construct that had saved him a few years ago. It had a few other objectives, but the admin didn't interface with those. Avatars. The flow of energy. He did what Amor asked, but he didn't understand much of it.

He simply did as he was told. A cog in the machine.

"I'm being followed. At least, I suspect that I am." The admin had swapped out his cowboy hat for a baseball cap for a team that supported. It turned out that if Howard swapped out his hat, his demeanor changed drastically. A 'perfect' disguise. "I suspect that I'm suspected, Makoto."

They were inside one of Dewford's corner diners. Legend had it that Dewford's sheriff got his coffee here, but Howard knew that the Elite Four member had swapped out coffee for tea a few months back. Something about his health?

"So I need your expertise." The admin bumped his head against the table and clapped his hands together in a sort of bowing motion. "Help. Please? Name your price."

He could pay for whatever they needed. Hopefully it wasn't anything super expensive.

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
Fox tails hidden under wedding dresses
awards
578 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 4:21:01 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
Makoto, initially, wasn't entirely sure of what to expect from going to the diner with Howard. The food certainly seemed good - having taken to idly munching on some fries, with their love of crunchy and fried food... Although, the last thing that they expected, was for Howard to ask them for help with... A stalker? Some authority?

For how unseeming and ordinary Howard was outwardly, aside from maybe the whole eye situation, they were surprised that he had drawn that sort of attention at all.

Makoto blinks a bit at the thump of Howard's forehead dropping to the table - caught off guard by the dramatics put forth as Howard made his request. Certainly, if he needed to hide or lose someone, they were the person - but... "I need more information." They spoke simply. "It's a whole different approach if you've somehow got a stalker, versus, uhm... Having attracted attention from... Y'know." From the cops.

That being said though, this was... At the very least, a far more approachable job than the one that had set them up to. "I... don't really need payment, though. Don't know what I'd ask for." They shrug a little with this. While part of this answer was simply them being humble to a fault, they were otherwise genuine about not knowing what they'd want anyhow.

Home, food, safety... Those sorts of things were pretty handled, as far as they felt.
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,841 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 4:48:10 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
He gave them a flat stare.

"I run the biggest smuggling network in the region. I rake in just as much money every day as does, and I wasn't blessed with the fortune of starting out with a Fortune 500 company. I transport, buy, and sell more illegal substances than anyone else in the region. I also paid for that sandwich was eating three weeks ago."

The expensive one from the Paldean sandwich shop in Slateport that cost an arm and a leg. When buying and selling artifacts on the black market had stopped being enough to finance many of Rocket's operations, the admin had spread out and outsourced his network. Wishing Stars, Dynite Ore, and other expensive goods flowed into Sootopolis now.

With Nautica leaving the region and Kyogre's Avatar vanishing, there were few that could actually bring down Rocket's smuggling ships. Cargo flowed freely, barring Mossdeep thanks to its new Gym Leader.

"So why don't I start by paying for those fries?" He smiled nervously. "It's nice to pay for people's stuff."

Especially since he wasn't spending an arm and a leg on rent anymore. Dewford's sheriff was footing that bill, as far as Howard was concerned.

"Rocket is following me. I can take a guess who sent people after me, but they don't like that I'm here in Dewford." Howard rubbed his temples. "They think I'm committing..."

He lowered his voice as he gave Makoto a nervous glance.

"...treason."

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
578 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 6:03:24 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
To know how much money Howard could make was not much help in Makoto's indecision. In fact, in a way, inherently having more options made it harder! They had spent so long having such simple creature needs, and it was hard to really decide on things beyond that.

But that all being said, as Howard insisted upon at least paying for Makoto's food, they paused... Before nodding. "Alright... Thank you," They responded. Though they would otherwise want to pay for their own food, to avoid burdening others... Perhaps letting Howard have this much would satisfy him, even if only for now..?

Besides, they imagined that helping protect him would more than repay the favor in that...

Though, then came the question of who Howard was fearing. Rocket - the very same Rocket that Makoto was a part of - was suspecting him of treason, due to his activities in Dewford. They couldn't help but feel that very same nervousness that Howard showed on his face; this was a serious matter. Treason could very well mean death, they'd learned a long time ago.

And if whatever Howard was doing ended up truly implicating him in something... Arceus, Makoto couldn't even begin to imagine the possible fallout from that. They could see why Howard wanted their help so badly.

But at the same time, there was the question of... If Makoto accepted, and this all went pear-shaped, what would happen? Would they end up implicated, too..? To endanger what they had now - the stable home and money they had as a result of Rocket, and even their own life...

... Makoto's breath shuddered. "That's... Really serious." They murmured, their uncertainty plain on their face. "Are you actually...?" Actually committing some form of treason? Betraying Rocket in some way...?
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,841 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 7:41:39 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
If Makoto thought he was, then the admin was well and truly fucked, and he needed their help more than ever.

"No! No! It's not like that, I swear!" His voice was a furious hush as he looked from side to side, as if expecting Rocket spies around every corner. Howard's eye flicked over to Makoto, their eye boring into them. He held up a finger. "Shush. Keep it quiet. I'll explain."

As if Makoto's murmurings could somehow get quieter.

"Makoto, Arceus... no. I'm not betraying Rocket. Never." He'd lied as easily as he breathed. If Howard defected from Rocket, the admin would've been killed before he took one step out of Sootopolis. He was a a cog in the machine, and gears could not act against the whims of the mechanism that held them. "I'm trying to save the region."

He was working with Navy, one of Rocket's biggest enemies, to study Eternatus, to make sure it remained silent and dormant. Yet Rocket likely would not care. His loyalty was shaky, and him moving to Dewford had not assuaged the various admins, beasts, and underbosses that he worked alongside.

But still, Eternatus had to be watched and studied.

For the good of mankind. Eternatus could not move an inch.

"I need unfettered access to the Ultra Deep Sea, which means that Dewford needs to be breached. That way, I can prove my loyalty. Makoto..." He looked at them with a pleading expression. "Do you trust me?"

Loyalty. Friendship. Nebula.

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
578 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON May 12, 2024 6:13:09 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
Truth was, if Howard truly were committing treason... While Makoto was unsure of how much they'd wish to help, they certainly wouldn't want to hurt him if they could help it... But, would one blame them, for not wanting to threaten what they had..?

They hoped not.

As Howard tells them to hush though, they indeed fall quiet to listen to him - even if there is uncertainty on their face... What was he doing here in Dewford...?

As he speaks, the lie he gives is easily believed. Perhaps it's largely because they wanted to believe him. They wanted to trust in him, and believe the best of him - because the alternative would likely put an end to what stability they had thus far... Even if it wasn't the ideal sort of stability. (But really, it was the closest thing to stability they'd had in many years.)

But, to be told that he's trying to save the region... They blink, clearly caught off guard by the statement. They initially want to open their mouth to speak - but they stop themself, wanting to 'keep it quiet' as he told them to. Instead, they continue to listen as he explains himself further... And then he poses a question of trust.

It takes a second for Makoto to respond - they have to consider it. Trust isn't something they'd say they had for Rocket as a group. Rocket was full of criminals - killers and thieves and liars. Granted, they supposed they were a thief and liar themself, but...

... It felt different, when they thought about it all on an individual level.

Did they trust ? Well, they certainly trusted him to be a bit of a maniac, past his suave and intelligent exterior, given his god-chasing. They trusted that as long as they were useful and loyal to him (and he seemed to believe they were, even if they sometimes felt that he overestimates them) that they had a place at his side, something they craved when they otherwise would be directionless...

But, perhaps some of that calm confidence would rub off on them?

Did they trust ? They trusted that when they greeted him, he'd be all smiles. Really, his nature was like that of a happy Growlithe - tail a-wagging, and loyal to those he cared about. But they also trusted that as a Beast, he was no stranger to killing - and if there was any thought that they were a traitor, he'd probably kill them too.

But, perhaps some of that jovial extroversion would rub off on them?

And did they trust Howard? ... Perhaps they did, truly, trust him. He was the most down-to-earth of the three, even if high strung. He was someone that had listened to and comforted them, when they opened up about the more painful parts of their past. And nothing bad had come of that vulnerability. And he was smart - absorbing knowledge from every little thing he could in a way that they admired.

Perhaps some of that wisdom would rub off on them..?

... They admired their peers of Nebula, that much was for certain. And really, they trusted the three more than they might most other members of Rocket. So, their response - even if it took a second to give - would be genuine. "I do," they breathed. "I... I think I can help."

This would be risky, but... They believed they could do it, if it were for him. If he were truly trying to help this region. If he really wasn't going to betray Rocket.

They clung tight to those beliefs.
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights