Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
A keen mind cuts deeper than even the sharpest sword.
awards
1,031 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
The Chains That Bind [M]
POSTED ON May 3, 2024 15:57:04 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]The chains we forge ourselves are the hardest to break.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Her cellmate was scratching and rattling at the bars of their cell again, her eyes fixed wide open yet vacant and trickling with more of those jewel-like tears that Aurelie herself had wept. Even from here, Aurelie could see how white her knuckles were—as white as her mass of tangled, unkempt hair—on the bars. The tension and wildness in the woman's movements made Aurelie hurry over to her side again.

"No, no, shh, shh, don't, it won't help," she murmured, focusing her attention on her cellmate. A distant part of her was grateful for the distraction, for something, anything that took her mind off her own wounds and anguish.

As before, she put her arms around her cellmate, who had frozen rigid, and whispered soft, soothing words. "Shh, shh, we'll get out of here, I promise. But it won't be by tearing at these bars right now.

"Or bashing your head against them like a maddened Bagon smashing its head into rocks. You don't have the head for it."
Aurelie ventured a tremulous smile, brushing stray strands of hair off her cellmate's brow. Was there a flicker of interest in those empty eyes at the mention of the Dragon-type? Or was it just a trick of the light, always treacherous in this dimly lit prison?

She sat like that beside her cellmate for what seemed like hours, until the mochi was served. Gently, she picked up one and held it to the woman's mouth, nudging her bottom lip until it opened slightly. "You need to eat. Keep up your strength. Just one bite...yes, there. Okay."

Satisfied by the minimal movements of her cellmate's mouth, Aurelie ate her own. Out of the corner of her eye, she watched their captors shuffle away. For a moment, she too was seized by the impulse to bang on the bars and scream obscenities at the Megalopolans and Fezandipiti.

But as before, the unmoving presence of her cellmate beside her stopped her. It won't help, it won't do anything, she'd said to her, and it was true. With a harsh force of will, Aurelie turned back to Freya and stroked her hair again.

I'll help you, even if it's not much, even if it barely helps you hold onto the last shreds of your sanity. Because it's the only thing right now letting me hold onto mine.

[attr="class","aurelie_tag"]

| Mission: Canon Connections

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.aurelie]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#862939;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag]text-align:center;font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag a]font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
i got new love, new skin to wrap myself in
awards
2,667 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
The Chains That Bind [M]
POSTED ON May 3, 2024 22:56:27 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

she doesn't search for her in the dream. she doesn't search for anyone in the dream. those who happen upon her are far and few between and only two have managed to get close. the loneliness gnaws at her in ways it hasn't before.

it was this realization that had done her in: she'd come to rely on others, just as she'd always wanted to, and then she was faced with the impossibility that after all her work, she was simply right back where she started. touch. words. companionable silence. any of it seemed unbearable. all of it seemed so wasteful

she has failed and the reminder of her failure is with her every time she wakes up and that fog drains away, every time she remembers that she is a prisoner in her own body. how many times must she endure this same cruelty?

awake, she is happy, but she is wan. her cellmate fusses over her because she is unresponsive; she struggles to endure the hardship when she knows her perfect future is just out of arms reach. work hard enough and they will prevail. the part of her that is smothered, the part of her that screams into that voidless dream, is still there

it festers. it makes her callous. wordless. hopeless. 

look at what's promised to you. look what will be yours. remember, remember, remember.

she raises her head, arms still folded around her tucked knees, and says, "you're my cellmate, aren't you?"
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,031 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
The Chains That Bind [M]
POSTED ON May 8, 2024 21:19:13 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]The chains we forge ourselves are the hardest to break.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Suddenly, the mists of silence and impassivity that lay between Aurelie and her cellmate parted, as the latter unexpectedly showed subtle signs of life. She stirred, raised her head, and even turned it slightly to look in Aurelie's general direction. When she asked her question, the redhead gasped aloud, startled by the unaccustomed sound of Freya's voice.

What kind of question is that? was Aurelie's first thought, tinged with indignation that her cellmate hadn't recognized her. Why else would I be locked in this dreary cell alone with her, if I weren't stuck here?

As her breath came hot and muggy within the confines of her mask, though, she realized that maybe it wasn't so clear who she was, after all. All the prisoners looked identically ghoulish in their sinister masks and uniforms. Aurelie hadn't recognized , after all, and she knew him intimately well compared to Freya.

"Yes," she replied aloud, clearing her throat when she heard how thick and hoarse her voice sounded. "I'm your cellmate. Are you... How are..."

She stopped, because asking Are you okay? and How are you? felt so inadequate and foolish in a place like this. No one here was okay; everyone here was suffering. Finally, Aurelie asked instead, "How are you holding up? Do you...need anything...?"

Even that felt ridiculous. "Aside from freedom, of course," she sighed, her lips twisting behind her mask into a humorless smile. "And some painkillers, considering how much they're running us into the ground here. And..."

There was a familiar commotion outside as their Megalopolan and Pokemon wardens left the chamber, signaling it was bedtime. Aurelie snorted scornfully. "And I guess an actual good night's sleep too, right? We all need that. But..."

She nodded at the cot. "We probably should sleep. Or at least try to." Rising to her feet, she held out a hand to Freya. "Come on."

[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,667 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
The Chains That Bind [M]
POSTED ON May 8, 2024 22:44:11 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

red tresses, almost black now with all the dirt and grime, curl over her cellmate's shoulder. she remembers flickers of it when it was brighter, all the way to the weathered, limpid strands now. how long have they been here? how much longer must they wait until she can see king again?

her happy ending is coming. she swears she can taste it (and it tastes sweet, like rice and sugar and soft lavender dye). 

"we'll see our vision come to fruition soon," she promises. aurelie couldn't give her that. she can only gently guide her to the end. she does not know why it's so hard to remember the things she must do. her hands sometimes stop their working. her foot does not recall how to take its next step.

her eyes - she hadn't realized she'd closed them - crack back open and a sliver of fright snakes over gold. 

"to sleep? no, no, i don't like to sleep." it's a routine protest, though in the past it's been wordless. an internal scratching at the walls, buzzing in her brain, a clangorous chorus of screeching to stave off the inevitable. she must not remember. 

remembering hurts. 

her body betrays her, as it always does. it takes aurelie's hand and it follows her to the bed and when they curl together in a lover's embrace, no amount of internal wailing can stop her heavy lids from falling. 

dreams exist outside of time. it's never enough/always too much when she's here. she's here in her body and she is hugging herself as though she can cling to it forever. where it can be hers and hers alone and no one can take her away again because gods fuck she can't take it anymore she can't take any of this anymore please the lines are already so blurry and anymore and she might break she might break she might 

break.

they're not real, the slashed marks across her arms, but the dream still makes her bleed. it gives her that satisfaction, at least. she is still holding herself, tucked in a bed of overgrown grass, the rest of the arboretum empty. except then, quite suddenly, and like it had happened with elisabeth and penny, it's not.

her cellmate is here too. 

she does not lift her head. she wraps herself tighter and she says, "please, i can't help you here. you already do too much out there for me."
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,031 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
The Chains That Bind [M]
POSTED ON May 10, 2024 20:46:31 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]This time, when Aurelie dreamed, she thankfully didn't appear in the middle of Ultra Megalopolis fully nude, as she had the first time. It hadn't happened every night, but when it did, the redhead always felt uncomfortably defenseless and mildly embarrassed. This time, she materialized in her favorite sweater and jeans from college, both of which had sadly frayed into shreds long before moving to Hoenn.

Surprisingly, this time, she also appeared alongside her cellmate. They found themselves inside an empty arboretum, overgrown and wild now but still beautiful. Not that different from Freya, in a way, she thought, as the woman hugged herself and spoke again.

"I can leave you alone here, if that's what you want," Aurelie replied, crossing her arms. "But I don't need your help. Not in here, anyway. Out there, well..."

She shrugged, one corner of her mouth curving in a wry half-smile. "Out there, in the prison, we all need all the help we can get. I help you out there because it helps me. Otherwise, what else can I do in that tiny little cell other than go insane? Well, even more insane than I already am.

"And...I don't want that,"
she went on, her voice dropping into a low, meditative murmur. "If I'm going to die in this prison, I want to at least die as myself."

Only in Hoenn did it always feel natural to talk so casually about dying.

It was strange how clear her mind felt in this dream, how sharp and lightning-quick her thoughts were. Weren't dreams supposed to be vague, illogical things? Of course, this was no ordinary dream, but even in real life, even in perfect health, Aurelie doubted that ideas and conclusions came to her so swiftly and lucidly.

Was she somehow saner in this dream than she was in normal life? Now, that was a strange thought. What even was sanity, anyway?

"Actually, there is a way you can help me," she ventured aloud, looking at Freya. "There's a mystery I think you can help me solve. Now that our ward has visited the Chamber of Desires a couple times and looked in...in the mask..."

Even now, Aurelie shuddered at the memory of the last vision she'd seen in the Wellspring Mask. The corpses, the flies, the flowing blood. Whoever's desire that was, it certainly wasn't one of hers.

"What do you see when you look into it? Is it the same every time?"

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,667 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
The Chains That Bind [M]
POSTED ON May 16, 2024 18:46:11 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

but that's the great and terrible thing, isn't it? she doesn't want aurelie to leave. she doesn't want anyone to leave her. her pride is an ugly, ever-lasting thing and as she cows, weaker and weaker, it festers, folding in on itself and growing. it puppeteers her fingertips, lengthening claws meant to strike inward. 

it takes a lot of effort now not to turn them outward at the woman who has shown her nothing but kindness and compassion since their capture. 

"If I'm going to die in this prison, I want to at least die as myself."

freya does not have the luxury. if she dies in her cell, she will die as a shadow, strangled by visions and ideals forced upon her by another god meant to make her insignificant. she grimaces but lifts her gaze. her eyes are red-rimmed and sunken, but no tears grace her cheeks. 

she's unable to cry here, for some reason.

"you want to talk about the mask," she says flatly. she grits her teeth. "i would withstand a hundred days of mockery, a thousand days of polishing stones until my hands fall off, and an eternity of scavenging in that pit if it meant i wouldn't have to look into that fucking mask again."

she shudders and then, suddenly, she dare look hopeful. "tell me it's not real. when we wake, tell me it's not real. i want - i want to be myself. i can't stand it. i don't see other dreams. i only want the future it promises and here, here, i know it's all a lie, but gods, please - 

"please, i can't lose myself again."
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights