Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
An observer of eons cannot feel the warmth of another.
Single
5'9 (with hat) height
5'9 (with hat) height
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
3,088 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 19:28:33 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
The man that sat across from Ameena was not Howard Slayte. It was someone else. It had to be.

Because otherwise the man that she had met in the dream had changed yet again, and more of his initial form had been shed by whatever this new form represented. A different body, a different guise, a different perspective, even. Yet if he had fully changed, then any hope that Ameena would ever have of discerning where his loyalties lie would be lost to history.

So as time stretched on, and his red eye inspected her face, it seemed that she would finally face punishment for her little experiment.

"I should tell everyone in Team Rocket about your little experiment." Ultimately, it was his voice that proved that this was still Admin Fox. His inflection was the same, and the way he spoke had not changed. "The hearts of people are not your toys, Ameena."

He thought of as he spoke.

"Why can't the person I shared a dream with remember a single thing about the exchange? Why is her memory shot to hell?"

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
798 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 19:51:43 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

A lot has happened. [break][break]

She knows the broad stroke of things, but ultimately, she had been too optimistic to hope he would be either too busy to revisit the sleep study or outright forgetful of it himself after all the trauma to his mind and body of late. As it is, she knows when to face the music. Howard's reason outweighed blood lust, which she wasn't sure could be said for the boss she feared more, . [break][break]

Not that Howard's making it easy for her. "I did not intentionally take you into the study," she pushes back, though incompetence is not much of an improvement from malice. "Or that woman, June. Or any of them, really." She shakes her head, angry beyond belief but restraining it just enough to leave some mirth. "One line of code. One line to ruin everything."[break][break]

His questions, however, interrupt her planned defense and explanation of the study in its entirety. "The study was designed to see how the dreamscape can be managed by two different minds. The only influence on memory should have been the malware, which encouraged participants to revisit a memory they had previously desired to forget." The mind was never so cooperative, of course. "What do you mean, 'the exchange?' That within your dream, or that of the original memory?" Was it possible June had forgotten both? The dream concoction was not designed to impact the hippocampus; the dreamers on their own would activate it as they remembered.

TAGS [break]

NOTES – [break][break]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".ameena"]--accent:#EF59D8;font:13px Roboto;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena a"]font:13px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .credit"]font-size:13px;[/newclass][googlefont="Roboto Mono"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
Single
5'9 (with hat) height
5'9 (with hat) height
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
3,088 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 20:17:11 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Ignorance was hardly a step above malice, but the bar was so low that the devil couldn't limbo under it. The only thing that saved Ameena was that there had been time for rage to cool, and because there was too much work to be done in Petalburg. Especially with his presumed execution approaching.

Killing Elisabeth was not a popular move. He could sense it in his bones.

"One line of code." For a moment, his eye flickered with inner light. "You marred my friend's psyche because of one line of code?"

Calling June a friend seemed like a poor label, but that was hardly important. Throttling Ameena was higher on his priority list at this precise moment in time.

"Both. She forgot both." A trembling hand brushed a streak of hair behind his ear as he regarded the scientist. The only barrier she had was that being ignorant was a precursor for academia. It was the scouring of ignorance that was Ameena's labor. "I had the most productive conversation with her in months, and she can't even remember it."

His eye narrowed.

"I don't often pull rank, Ameena. I loathe the chain of command." If anything, that was the truth, given how he had disregarded it to kill an underboss and carve out a kingdom in Petalburg. "But I will for this. Fix it."

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
798 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 20:34:21 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

She wasn't used to seeing him distraught. [break][break]

She hadn't expected him to pull rank, but it aligned with what she was doing anyways. "What do you think I am doing, sitting on my hands?" Her words dripped with such disbelief and anger. The latter was not necessarily a new emotion for her, but lately, it had been impossible to quell. [break][break]

"I woke that day to my laboratory in use, running an experiment I had yet to okay, with people I never wanted to put under, and," her voice broke on a laugh, "I do not even get to keep the data." Stupid, wasn't it? "Tapu fucking Lele was in my laboratory. Drank the fucking concoction of dream serum and fucked off after disrupting Porygon's data transfer." [break][break]

She leaned back, forcing herself to take a breath to return to her role as the scientist. She compartmentalized the fuck-up again, the scorn and the betrayal and the guilt. [break][break]

"You said she forgot both. I hate to tell you this, but the solution to the problem looks rather similar to the cause." She didn't hate to tell him that. He took this long to address the cufant in the room and it looked like he hadn't thought any of it through. What did he think she could do? She wasn't sure if it was wise to share the details, that Musharna could put them into a dreamy terrain and revisit the dream without risking unconsciousness. She was certain he would never fall asleep in her presence again.

TAGS [break]

NOTES – [break][break]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".ameena u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .credit"]font-size:13px;[/newclass][googlefont="Roboto Mono"]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
Single
5'9 (with hat) height
5'9 (with hat) height
awards
3,088 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 20:41:53 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Truth be told, he thought she was busy losing Mossdeep and Sootopolis. He was half-right.

"Tapu Lele." His eye twitched. Each word was a proclamation of doom. "Drank your serum and fucked off?"

Surprisingly, that was what seemed to relax him. That sounded exactly like something Tapu Lele would do, and it gave the admin another reason to want to punt into the stratosphere and rip his false guardian apart when he got his hands on it. Behind Ameena, a phantom of Tapu Lele that only he could see danced.

Annoying. His constant companion.

"I'll deal with Tapu Lele when it rears its head again. I almost lost Regirock to it." He grumbled, silently furious at Doug's interjection. Sleepless nights. Nightmares. Phantom Tapu Leles running around in the background. The damn thing had cursed him good. "But that is not important."

He gestured for her to continue.

"Elaborate."

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
798 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 20:49:07 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

His disbelief over the code and the Tapu Lele alike matched her own, though she had had many weeks to process it all. She was currently in the stage of grief called acceptance. She hoped Howard would familiarize himself with it, and soon. [break][break]

Her eyebrows shot up at the concession that Lele had nearly cost him Regirock, but she was positive he was in no mood to share further. So, she continued. "Musharna has a z-move, one that generates a dreamy terrain. Everyone inside of it stays mostly awake, but each mind can project images into the mist." She didn't have a lot of data on it. There was no time to experiment with it after the study and before Sootopolis, but she had used it on . [break][break]

She was thankful he'd sought her out about the dream thing, and shortly after the study, too.[break][break]

"Theoretically, you and June could be in dreamy terrain and revisit the dream as you have stored it. Those images should provoke her to remember, especially given that you two would be sharing the terrain, much as you shared a dreamscape in the study." Heavy on the 'theoretical' part. "The only other alternative would be putting you two under in the sleep study again. But it would require her to make a different choice." She doubted that would be the case.[break][break]

After all, people who preferred to forget terrible things were wired to want to forget, and it was the easier choice. There weren't many who preferred the burden of knowing, but of course Howard would.

TAGS [break]

NOTES – musharna's dream mist spreads throughout the area and creates a DREAMY TERRAIN. those caught in this terrain and stuck between sleep and wakefulness, and that that they dream of manifests in semi-visible hallucinations in the mist for all to see.[break][break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
Single
5'9 (with hat) height
5'9 (with hat) height
awards
3,088 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2024 22:26:52 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"That will not be necessary. There is no need to create a choice when we both know that one of those decisions will simply bring us back to this point." Furthermore, it was a cyclical weakness. Forcing June to make that decision again was paramount to torture.

No, she would simply need to bear witness to it. If she had decided to excise those memories from her personal life, than Ameena and Howard would simply have to remind her.

Yet the cost of that was dangerous. If he let June bear witness to that dream, then she'd see his confession of love. He had loved her. Maybe he still did. Yet reliving through that experience was almost too heavy a burden to bear.

But...

"If you can use my dream, then I accept." He would suffer the consequences of that decision. Running from it was unacceptable. "Wait."

He frowned, then flushed slightly.

"Have you seen the results of your study? Have you seen each individual dream?"

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
798 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2024 22:42:16 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

He wanted to protect June. She wasn't sure what to make of that, yet.[break][break]

"I can open up the terrain and access your subconscious through it, but she will need to be there to witness what visages project into the mist. Her proximity opens up her mind automatically. There is no way around it, as the dreamy terrain has a wide radius." That, and placing June by Howard when the Musharna's technique hits would help his mind revisit that shared dream. [break][break]

She emphasized her coming point with various hand gestures. "The terrain operates off of the subconscious, keep in mind. You can think anything, but ultimately, what gets projected is what stimulates the sleeping portion of your mind. Part of you is awake and part is asleep; the waking portion has minimal influence on the sleeping." Theoretically, that halfway state could accelerate the learning/absorbing information process in the brain, but she had not bothered to test it. [break][break]

"That is all to say that, given the nature of the study, your subconscious responds to hers in a very specific way - outside of any prior connection. She needs to be there. Close." She thought of Matias, whose subconscious had not gone to his study partner immediately but to another woman altogether. "If she keeps her mind clear, she should not conjure much of anything in the mist." Of course, she'd eat Howard's hat if June generated nothing, but she wasn't interested in laying out just how unlikely his goals were for this experiment. June would absolutely be impacted by witnessing it, and her mind would inevitably interact with the mist when given the opportunity to rejoin his in the dreamscape. [break][break]

The other question nearly brought a smile to her face, though she knew he would see no humor in it. She split the difference between obedience and teasing him by offering the barest true answer. "My transcripts of each dream are incomplete."

TAGS [break]

NOTES - [break][break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
Single
5'9 (with hat) height
5'9 (with hat) height
awards
3,088 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2024 23:03:24 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Good. Howard intended to keep his that way. Ameena had hurt herself by running this study. It had made her many enemies and few friends, and someone without friends was someone without power. There were few shields in this world that could save her if she enraged the entire upper brass.

And much like an angel with wax wings, she was flying very close to that sun. Eventually, she would spiral down and collapse against the earth.

"I see." He said in a voice that exhibited a remarkable amount of control. His face slowly returned to its normal hue as the potential embarrassment of that dream was buried. That exchange was not hers to study. It belonged to him and the woman who had once delivered fossils to his doorstep. "Very good."

Howard coughed into his fist as he regarded her small smile coolly.

"She'll come. I can arrange a meeting. Where would you run this experiment? It cannot be done at headquarters." He arched an eyebrow. "Non-negotiable."

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
798 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2024 23:12:11 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

She wouldn't have put it at headquarters if he'd demanded it. She needed to keep distance from the reality of her studies until she had made peace with every Rocket participant. [break][break]

"Anywhere, really." The smaller the space, the less room to play with the projections, but bigger was not necessarily better. "My office is spacious enough for it." Matias' dreams had unfolded there. Her space was comfortable enough for people to calm down and clear their mind without making them feel vulnerable. [break][break]

She pointedly avoided mentioning her laboratory. "Somewhere you can clear your mind will work best. Outside, inside, irrelevant. Darkness will obscure the projections in the mist, so I would avoid those scenarios. Otherwise," she offered with a flourish of her hands, "Musharna can perform anywhere." [break][break]

Then, she leaned in, more serious than before. "I cannot control what you project, Howard. You could try, but it would be largely futile. This is sharing your deepest thoughts while you are awake and compelled to answer for them. I can try other methods to restore her memory, if you do not want the risk." He could give up Rocket secrets. More than that, he could sacrifice his own.[break][break]

She obviously spent too much time in the minds of others, but ultimately, she did believe the mind was everyone's only guaranteed sanctuary. None of her psychic pokemon got to read her mind besides her Gardevoir, and she never allowed it to use telepathy on others. She stayed in the subconscious realm, not the conscious, but the semi-waking state was... it was easy to get confused. In her opinion, it was riskier than the sleep study.

TAGS [break]

NOTES - [break][break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
Single
5'9 (with hat) height
5'9 (with hat) height
awards
3,088 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2024 23:28:25 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Ameena." He steepled his fingers, refusing to blink as she leaned in. His eye scanned her face, a flickering red orb lined with Eternatus's blood peered back at her. It was intense and vindictive, a paradox that worked against his nature as a keeper in a group of takers.

A start contrast from the man during the Tower. What remained from that age threatened to curdle and die, though the admin forced that aspect of his personality to remain through sheer force of will, just as he had forced her to embrace his memories of Galar.

"I have one question for you. In the name of what you've done, and as my rank demands, you will answer me honestly."

He would dance between waking and dreaming to right past wrongs, if Ameena would light the way.

"Is this the best way to restore her memories?"

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
798 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2024 23:40:38 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

She didn't twitch under his intense gaze, but she did take it as a very bad sign that she was on the receiving end of his rank twice in short succession. Had they been discussing anything other than her realm of expertise, she would have been squirming. But she held confidence in this area like nothing else, despite how much was unknown. That that was known, she knew, incontrovertibly. [break][break]

Unfortunately. "Memory is not the same as dreams. The practice of manipulating it is, in its entirety, guesswork. Neuroscience nor psychic-type abuse can guarantee any kind of result." But he wasn't asking for a guarantee. "My understanding is that we have few options."[break][break]

She counted them out on her fingers. "Telepathic interference: traumatic, but the most direct. Revisiting the sleep study in near-identical conditions: a hail Mary built on the concept of 'retracing your footsteps' - but at least it would stimulate the exact same parts of the brain. And entering a state of plurality... which is letting the subconscious have free reign while you're conscious, rather than unconscious." It was not perfect. "This method relies on the concept of triggering buried memories by stimulating the senses."[break][break]

The move wasn't designed for this purpose. It was meant to inhibit others. It was meant to offer quick glances into someone's dreams without needing them fully asleep and in the REM cycle. Triggering memories? One participant remembering and one forgetting? This was all terribly theoretical. "In my opinion, it is the best path. But for you, you, this is the most dangerous." [break][break]

"Telepathic interference would only risk her psyche. The sleep study would keep all the thoughts in your head confined to that shared dreamscape, so any intel shared would not only be inadmissible but also rendered foggy in the waking world afterwards. This?" She shook her head. "This risks you sharing far more than you want her to see me, or me to see, or yourself to see. This terrain pulls from your deepest desires and fears and experiences." How could anyone be worth that? Someone who didn't remember you, at that.

TAGS [break]

NOTES - [break][break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
Single
5'9 (with hat) height
5'9 (with hat) height
awards
3,088 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2024 0:18:44 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
There was a long pause. He could hear his own heartbeat.

A dream was a knife. It could twist in his brain until it left nothing more than gray matter floating in a mindscape formed from the mist of fantasia. He knew much. He knew more than any human could realistically be expected to reveal. His plans for Rocket, his opinions on his colleagues, his utter contempt for the group that he called his own.

His goals for this world could be laid bare.

In his heart, he knew what this study would reveal: his desire for an unchanging world where time did not move. A world where history did not extend into infinity, where humanity could finally stop and enjoy the fruits of several millennia of development.

Such a world was paradise hell.

"When I was younger, there was someone who sat in front of me in a class on ancient architecture." His voice was low as he regarded the Galarian. "It was the first time that I forgot to take notes in class. I asked her for a pen and if I could peek at her notes. She gave me this... stupid pen with an Aerodactyl on it."

Howard chuckled to himself, covering the lower half of a face he didn't recognize with a gloved hand that did not belong to him.

"It was such a stupid pen."

Why had he accepted that pen? It had ruined his life. In a sense, it had brought him to this moment. It had brought him to this organization, to this room, to this person. What was Ameena's Aerodactyl pen, he wondered?

"I rose too high, loved too hard, and dared too much." His eye glimmered with reminiscence. There was a world where he joined and on better terms, where he had seized Regieleki and stolen the burden of legacy from June's hand. "I tried to grasp a star, I overreached, and I fell."

That would not happen again. He would grab this star before it broke apart.

"I will arrange the board. Be ready."

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
798 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2024 15:51:17 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

What the fuck was he talking about? [break][break]

Petalburg had taken a greater toll on him than she'd initially assessed. She knew her way around a metaphor, but what did the aerodactyl pen have to do with...? [break][break]

His self-assessment of his failures also threw her for a loop. It was like they were having two different conversations, but she didn't know Howard to be that lost in himself. What was the star? June? Regirock? Regice? It could be related to symptoms of the study, the obsessive qualities. She couldn't be sure without more observation, and she got the distinct impression that Howard didn't want to spend more time with her than absolutely necessary. [break][break]

Be ready. Wasn't that the greatest challenge in Hoenn? You had to spend every second holding your breath and anticipating the next disaster or act of divine intervention. She, like everyone else, had no choice but to be ready. As ready as possible. [break][break]

"Of course."

TAGS [break]

NOTES - [break][break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
40,651 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
When the Dreamer Woke
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2024 4:30:49 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
/ (REPEAT)
img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB