snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 0:13:55 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illiepost"]
[attr="class","illieicon"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]"understandable," she murmurs, although one part sticks out in particular. unable to help herself from touching on it, she fixes him with a curious stare, head tilting slightly to rest a cheek fully on a hand. "do you trust many, though? i'm sure not everyone can be held to the same standard." while she knows nothing of politics and even less of actually trusting the right people, she likes to think that majority of the league is trustworthy. although, perhaps not in his eyes. she's genuinely interested in the concept nonetheless if only to see who he'd willingly put faith in.

the sentiment is shared by too many and yet, it never seems to come to fruition. perhaps he'll be the one to actually get it done, to actually be the driving force that allows a win to be secured by the league. "will the team be trained in the same way those already in the league have been? or will it be a new training of sorts?" while he's already given her more than enough information, something still drives her to ask for more. eventually, she'll cross the line between curious and overbearing but for now she simply toes the line. "a regular ranger? not an elite?" somehow, that fact does take her by mild surprise but she doesn't bother to press it. instead she'll shift attention to a different point he mentions and sink her teeth into it. "if you're already looking then i take it that you have some options you're pursuing," she says it more as a statement than anything, as if it's merely logical for him to have inklings as to who he wants.

[attr="class","illietag"]
[attr="class","illiepoke"]

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color:#E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illiepoke] width:300px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 5:35:44 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Quite frankly? No." Shying away from the root cause will only allow issues to fester until it's too late. Fernando confronts them head-on to temper expectations. "Trust needs to be earned and those I cannot believe in will be cut from the team." The whole purpose of this pet project is to cut out the cancer among them and refine them into something more. They're behavior reflects after him, after all.

"I intend to train them myself. What's important isn't raw strength but to cultivate a strong foundation of fundamentals to create value regardless of your capabilities." Although there are many reasons for why the League failed in Littleroot, Fernando doesn't dwell on all of them. The only ones that irritate him are the ones that were preventable. Visiting her in the hospital had all but confirmed that Illeana presented one of these 'flaws'. "No one can teach a rookie to beat a Legendary Pokemon in a day. You can teach them not to pick that battle in the first place."

Fernando ignores the last question because he knows curiosity will do her in before it does him. He placates the question by observing her office. He notes the paper work on her desk as well as the format of her setup.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 18:10:12 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]she can't exactly say she's surprised when the answer is no, he doesn't trust many. it's to be expected if she dwells on it for longer than the moment at hand. he's in a position of power where not everyone has good intentions laced into their actions. "a trial and error basis, then," she comments and there's almost something fond about the way she smiles, as if she recognizes the same fundamentals in the research process she uses. "still, it must be disappointing when someone doesn't live up to expectations." it doesn't need to be mentioned that she's alluding to herself in loose terms.

her smile widens slightly. "sound structures are required for buildings to stand," she murmurs and there's a metaphor somewhere between syllables and gentle tones. "what's sounder than fundamentals?" it's rhetorical, really, but only halfway as if she's not certain if something else could be laced into a structure to make it impenetrable. she hums once more, tasting the answer on her tongue. part of her is torn between the experience of trying only to fail and the understanding that some things aren't able to be overcome. perhaps it's due to the freshness of littleroot and her shortcomings but how does she learn without first applying herself? by training to not react in such a way that's damning, that much she knows now. "what battles should they pick, then? ones with better odds?"

the lack of an answer bothers her in a sense that she is denied understanding, denied insight. it sends her mind into a frenzy of trying to supply answers on its own and each one is more anxious than the last. perhaps most of all, the only one that fully stands out is if he's telling her all of this because he finds her worthy in some sense. is that possible? or is it her jumping to conclusions? the lack of people believing in her as a child produces a woman who's willing to go to extreme lengths to secure such a thing. her gaze lazily follows his for a moment while he observes before she's fixing it in place on him, on the straight posture he holds. "if someone's interested but not necessarily what you want, how would they go about securing a spot?"

is this the part where she sells her soul to a three piece? fed concepts like she's worthy, she's capable, she's holy until she's turning her life over in exchange for more.

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 23:17:08 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"It's to be expected," Fernando corrects. "If I had no question about their capabilities, I wouldn't have to test and train them in the first place. There's a reason that the Elite Four are the Elite Four."

Their conversation starts to seep in and he can tell that something clicks. The more he reveals the more she starts to unravel, allowing her innate curiosity to pry deeper into his meaning. "Ones where they won't be crushed." Each of his statements are premeditated with an open-ended question to follow. Solving them simplistic is used to highlight his own method of thinking and to break down the overtly complicated uncertainty that comes with it. At least that's the objective of his method.

So when Illeana tries to subvert her intentions Fernando tramples on her subtlety.

"Did you want to join, Reyes?"

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 23:52:38 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]he expects to be disappointed by those he deems worthy enough to put time into. a simple concept and she's tilting her head as if to follow a thought she's not yet having. he wants to fix the shortcomings of the league, the failures that seem to be around every corner. what better way to do that than to invest himself into crafting those outcomes into successes? "true. not everyone can be on the same caliber," she murmurs. the elite four are hand selected as a cut above the rest, a mold those beneath them aspire to one day fill. the mention raises an eyebrow from the scientist, however. why create a new team when the best already exist? she keeps this to herself, tucked into a filing cabinet to collect dust.

he feeds her small increments, just enough to keep her biting, to keep her curiosity chomping at the bit. never fully satisfied with the answers given, asking for more. it's a cycle that is intent on repeating itself. "by changing their process of judgement? or their actions?" would a rookie still be crushed if they don't take on the stronger opponent? or would they succeed despite the lack of strength? she wants to unravel it, wants to pick apart the logic piece by piece until her mind can fully wrap around it and absorb the reasoning. and yet, she's denied by the simplistic nature of it all.

shoulders tense slightly beneath the weight of a question only to slowly ease back into a state of mild relaxation. an exhale escapes and she's understanding that subtlety isn't her strong suit. it never has been. "perhaps," she supplies. maybe it's coy and maybe it's her lack of a final decision that fuels the response. "is that an option?" the look she gives him is almost expectant, almost hopeful.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 0:00:10 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Illeana presents the meat of the conversation and Fernando disregards the rest as mere scraps. There's no point in reviewing the rhetoricals of the past. "Not if you're not adamant about it." Which means he only wants her to hone in on their new topic, their most important topic.

Her wishy-washy answer looks to probe into his decision with only one leg knee deep. It's a defense mechanism for those afraid of rejection and it's that same weakness she uses as an excuse for her actions. She only intends for the best, wishes for validation, and it shows when she shies away from rejection.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 0:13:31 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]it's almost as if she hits a wall that might not be able to crumble. the topic shifts toward one of high importance, perhaps the most important of the day. and yet, she approaches it with as much hesitation as her body can contain. is she adamant about this change? is she willing to give it her all?

her eyes dart away toward papers and reports, toward a cluttered workspace and the fruition of her work. "if i am," she murmurs, not bothering to fully shift her gaze back just yet. despite his need for a full answer, she avoids it with the appearance of a new question. one that weighs a little too heavily on her shoulders. "what will be given up?" she doesn't want to ask what's holding her back, what's keeping her from diving into the deep end. if she's adamant on this, will she be giving up what gave her purpose?

finally, she finds him again and try as she might, she can't hide what her eyes show. the seeds of fear have roots that are too deep within her to mask with good intentions alone. fear of failure, rejection, loneliness, cruelty, pain. each one lends itself to the next until it's a bundle of nerves on bones covered by skin and called by the name illeana.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 24, 2020 8:13:14 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Leniency."

To summarize the depth of Fernando's intention is impossible. To become something more require rewriting fundamental behaviors by restructuring the core tenets that drive cognitive behavior. The goal is to compromise her way of thinking, her perspective of the League and what she deems as acceptable, to a standard that matches Fernando's bare minimum. Excuses won't cut it. Every action must be explained and judged accordingly.

"You'll be trading it in for accountability."

All this to create a better League.

"To exceed expectations and become something more."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 24, 2020 17:06:53 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]responsibility given for the easy tolerance given up. a realistic thing, really. where there is gentleness, there is weakness and he points it out every time. he highlights the failures, the opportunities missed until they're all she can see. and then that's where the shift begins.

"one could say that's an easy trade," she comments and while she doesn't fully fall into that category yet, she's beginning to see the appeal of it.

"you'll make sure i become something more?" hesitation is slowly fading into the starting points of acceptance but she needs more. she always needs more and perhaps that's what makes it so difficult to take what she wants. because while she wants it, is it actually for her, not someone else? "i don't want to fail, not again."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2020 0:42:37 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"It is neither an easy trade nor task." He's quick to correct her because the most important aspect of scouting his potential team is to set expectations appropriately. Any potential misgivings must be dashed before they're allowed to fester and take hold. Creating a delusion image of what they could be only spells disaster when they realize they're anything but. Setting up a strong foundation comes first, which is also the minimum requirements Fernando puts into place.

"I can only put the tools in your hands. The rest is up to you and what you do with them." It almost seems counter productive to melt away her diffidence only to allow it to build back up. But Fernando is adamant about two things. This will not be a solo endeavor. After all, this is all to benefit him in the end.

"And even then, it's okay to fail. Failure is nature. But the failures must come from the impossible. You cannot fail when you should've succeeded. You cannot fail for free."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2020 1:54:07 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]he's right. it's not an easy trade or task. instead, it's daunting and she's not sure which could be worse. the easy or the difficult. both yet neither, she decides, and it's confusing all the same.

she sighs, eyes drifting up toward the ceiling once more. "this is true but," she pauses only to find his eyes, to search for something and nothing in his expression. "what happens if we use the tools wrong?" perhaps it's obvious, perhaps it's nothing more than the same failures from littleroot rushing up to greet her all over again. and maybe that's a chance she has to take. there's no way to know what the outcome will be.

you cannot fail for free. somehow, she understands this better than most. failure comes at a price. it comes with pain and humiliation and insecurities bubbling up from the ashes of what you thought was success. her body is a temple of failures written in languages of old and etched into skin until it's all she sees. and even when given the opportunity to succeed, the weight of losing, of being placed back into that position all over again is something that leads her to falter and stumble. it's human to fail, yes, but at what cost? "and to not fail is to use the tools given in the correct manner, right?" a nod follows before she's pushing away from the desk she had been using as support, a half step taken closer and then halting. there's an invisible boundary keeping her from shifting distance, one that she recognizes as a measure of strengths. it always feels uncomfortable to be the weakest in the room. "i want to learn to defy that nature." another pause, a rising of a chin in some attempt of strength she doesn't possess. "show me how to not fail."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 29, 2020 3:15:46 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Then you'll be reprimanded accordingly." Doubt continues to plague her and Fernando's only resolution is to remain steadfast. He's not sure what type of answer she's probing him for. If she wants someone to baby her then she's looking at the wrong CEO. There's a reason that is an Elite. Some may say that the timing is only coincidental but Fernando claims otherwise. After all, the first step to greatness is ownership.

But somewhere, she gets it. Or at least Fernando hopes so. He takes a leap of faith with her subsequent question and nods accordingly. The step up she takes brings her closer and his eyes never leaves her own. Beyond the aspirations has to be the tenacity to favor progress over all else. Does she have it in her?

He can't tell.

"Then I'll teach you."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2020 0:52:25 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]he doesn't sugarcoat it, something she's coming to both appreciate and loathe. reprimanded accordingly. somehow, she isn't familiar with the concept. it's always been one extreme or the other. freedom or a cage, bruises or rewards. never a grey area. would he be the same as those before him who tried to teach her things she wanted to learn? would she wear her failure again? no, she decides with a gentle nod, he wouldn't and she wouldn't be in that position again. that's the whole point of this, isn't? to learn from the failures and secure success, to never face the consequences again.

his eyes stay on hers and while she's tempted to glance away, to break the eye contact because it feels too forward and too personal... she holds the gaze evenly. baby steps, maybe. or it's a false sense of comfort, of security in his presence. she doesn't dwell on it long. not when he's giving her the answer she's looking for, the answer she had been hoping for. surprise registers on her face and another step forward is taken and quickly stopped. "really?" for all the confidence she wants to have, it sure is lacking. there's that incessant need to question, to hear confirmation as if she's imagining him doing all of this. is it worse if she asks him to promise? yes and she has to bite the inside of her cheek to hold it back.

"thank you," she murmurs. there's a brief moment where she wonders if she should bow or attempt a hug or whatever it is that people do in these sorts of situations. and then the thought is leaving her mind as quickly as it came, replaced by the next and the one after. "i won't let you down." ah, but that sounds like a promise she can't keep.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2020 4:33:20 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"We'll see about that."

Fernando musters his best attempt at a reassuring smile before his face straightens up for business. "While I'm here, I wanted to check in on your progress with the sample you retrieved." It's not like Fernando to make a trip for something as simple as an invitation. If that was truly the case, he'd request Illeana to visit him. It's only due to the delicate nature of her work that he shuffles around his own comfort in order to accommodate her.

" gave me mixed signals with his thoughts on the sample. I figured you'd be able to explain it in English."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2020 17:50:19 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]a light flush coats the skin of her face and while she wants to tell him she will rise to the occasion, that she'll exceed expectations and make him proud... it's something she can't promise. not yet, not until he sees more than just worth in her. she needs to produce results before fernando silph can ever find her to be something worth his time and effort.

the topic shifts into the sample in her midst and she's sighing, running a hand through her hair and retreating back toward her desk. the papers are still scattered, still in disarray, but she ignores them. they can be fixed later. "oh, right! i think i have one of the reports here somewhere," surprisingly enough, she doesn't have to shift through them long before she finds what she needs.

the clacking of heels against tiles brings her back into his orbit. the paper is offered but the look on her face is sheepish. "there were a few things in the sample that we needed to separate in order to properly understand what the sap is," she murmurs. "saliva and poison, to be exact. i believe the lab is making good progress." she hasn't heard anything yet on their findings, however... it's been making her a little anxious the longer it takes.