8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 21:08:53 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Ah."

While he may not understand the in-depth technical jargon having a deliverable in hand is like godsend to someone as materialistic as Silph. He takes his time reading it thoroughly, making a note when he comes across something he doesn't quite understand, while still trying to pay Illeana half the mind to listen to her.

"You said saliva? Human saliva?"

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 21:45:14 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illiepost"]
[attr="class","illieicon"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]right, no one watched the absolute ridiculous plan she had enacted down at those roots. it's almost less embarrassing to recount the tale the second time around even if she's certain her present company will have more to say than her fellow scientist did. but... with time comes memory and from memory comes that familiar regret that never actually leaves.

"yes," she murmurs. her eyes linger on the paper in his hands, avoidant tendencies she can't shake with failure pressing into the skin of her back. "human saliva. i don't suppose you've heard of how that came to be, correct?" this possible scolding might be a dozy.

[attr="class","illietag"]
[attr="class","illiepoke"]

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color:#E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illiepoke] width:300px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 21:48:28 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Fernando never looks up from the paper.

"No. Do tell."

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 22:05:38 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]"have you ever been poisoned, councilman?" she starts with a question, her eyes drifting toward the ceiling when he doesn't rip his attention away from white parchment. as if recalling a memory, her voice sounds a little distant when it returns, when it recounts a tale dipped in sap and spun with disgrace.

"it feels like your veins are burning until you're in an odd haze of pain and numbness with no control over your limbs. when that happened, i used the next best tool in my arsenal to finish what i started." her eyes stay glued to ceiling tiles a little longer. "they found human saliva because i collected the sap sample with my mouth."

and finally, she spares a glance at him, as if waiting for the inevitable sound of disappointment.

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 22:11:32 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Honestly, he's only half listening. The moment she starts off her monologue with a question, he already knows that the first half will just be a filler to excuse whatever happened. Coincidentally, Fernando comes across a sentence he doesn't understand and rereads it for emphasis. It takes some guess work but he kind of understands what it implies. Back when @bean4 was Head Scientist, her time and assistance had been a saving grace considering how neurotic some of the reports read.

"So your hands were paralyzed and you used your mouth to procure a sample?"

There's no judgement in his voice. Not yet. Not until he has all the facts so that he can deliberate his feelings toward the correct response.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 22:28:07 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]the lack of judgement leaves room for confusion. it etches itself into her features for a moment before it's a slate wiped clean, settling into recollection once more.

"in a sense," she supplies and while it's mostly accurate, she can't sort through the heavy doses of panic and poison that cling to each memory of the event to know for certain. a sigh escapes within seconds and she's stuck on half evidence, half haze. "although i'm not certain if it was more poison than that damn explosion that led to such a method." excuses, she realizes, seem to come naturally when she wants to shift the lack of awareness and preparation off of her back. deflect onto other circumstances, say it was out of her hands. except, it wasn't and she had made a decision that ended with a contaminated sample.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 22:32:13 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"But ultimately, I presume you couldn't use your hands. Otherwise, you would've instead, correct?"

That's a bit of a presumption but Fernando intentions are laid bare to those that understand the kind gesture behind it. Rather than have her stay off-track with continued deflection, he suggests what he can only perceive to be her reasoning and prompts her to either affirm or deny his allegations. There's only one right answer but knowing Illeana, he's more likely to hear the truth rather than her purposefully picking the correct one.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 22:48:04 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]"yes," obedience lies in the quickness of which a single word leaves her mouth. a pause follows and she's clearing her throat, glancing down at her hands. it seems he knows her better than she understood. instead of allowing her the opportunity to provide her own assumptions, he supplies his own for her to either confirm or deny. and it's almost a kindness but the words he fed her in a hospital room still rise. he values truth above all else. and so, she provides nothing but the facts.

"it's logical to use your hands. they provide the most control over a task."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 22:53:58 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Then you made the right choice. A bit risky for my taste, sure, but you came out ahead this time. After all, a contaminated sample is better than no sample." That's the initial assumption he made behind Illeana's revelation and his faith is well rewarded. The only task was getting a straightforward answer out of her without sitting there beating around the bush.

Satisfied with what he's heard and read, Fernando hands the paper back to her.

"Do consider your own safety a little more though, Reyes. I can't imagine how bad exposing yourself to those toxins could have been."

Fernando crosses his arms, trying to stifle a smile from his next conjecture.

"I imagine you've told . How did he take it?"

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 23:12:07 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]it's an odd thing to be praised by him. and yet, it brings a smile to her lips, a flush to her cheeks. somehow, it means more than praise from another. maybe it's the power behind his words or the fact that he doesn't give out such words often. "thank you," she murmurs, uncertain if she should say much more.

the paper is handed back and she shifts back over to her desk, finally taking a moment to shuffle papers into a somewhat neat stack. they're still not organized in a way that's efficient or to her liking but it'll do for now.

"i will," even though they might both know that's a lie she offers it anyway. "i think my body had enough toxins in that basement to last a lifetime."

she's moving back to her previous position in front of him with a few clicks of heels. and as she comes to a stop, the question he asks elicits an almost amused laugh from her throat. "i did. i don't know if this is surprising or not but," she pauses to flash a smile. "you took it better than he did." she doesn't know well enough yet to decide where his reaction stands in conjunction.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 23:23:52 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Figures. For all his brilliance, there's a reason Lane isn't a field scientist, besides, you know, the obvious."

Despite his no nonsense persona, Fernando enjoys talking shit. Sometimes it's in jest, at the expense of his close friends, and other times it's used in a fit of frustration or to put someone in their place. In this instance, Fernando uses it as a bridge to build a stronger connection to Illeana, using their mutual colleague as an ice breaker to segue into a more casual discussion.

"Listen to him. Learn from him. But take everything he says with a grain of salt." Fernando outwardly laughs at a funny memory. "I'm sure he means well but don't let him rattle you too much. He can be quite a character."

And, in a greatest betrayal of League history, Fernando imparts to her the strongest weapon she can use against her fellow Head Scientist.

"If he ever corners you just ask him why Professor Creighton wasn't part of the rescue operation to save Professor Creighton. He'll get it, trust me."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 23:43:02 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]conversation shifts into something more casual, more easygoing and she's lulled into a sense of comfort she'd expect from friends. fernando doesn't feel quite like a councilman in this light. more like something halfway between acquaintance and companion. it's nice, she decides with a soft laugh.

"i take it you have quite a bit of experience in the department of handling mister lane," if one looked close enough between lines and syllables, they could detect a hint of teasing. her smile widens at the sound of his laughter as if it's a new sound she should commit to memory. "there's more to him than meets the eye, then?" she muses. at first she believed him to be kind and welcoming and then the whole sap situation came into play and she was on the receiving end of a scolding she hadn't necessarily expected. of course, it was warranted but boy, it's embarrassing having to explain to your fellow scientist that you became a sap funnel... still, he's only ever meant well. "i'll have to be on my toes around him."

her head tilts slightly, dark hair falling to expose one side of her neck with the movement. confusion flickers at the concept but she's growing quicker with the skill of recognizing leverage when she sees it. and perhaps that's why prompts the next little shift in her demeanor. professional eases into an almost playful side she doesn't usually show and it's put on display in the way her smile turns mischievous. "is that how one would best lucas lane? maybe i should write that down."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2020 0:32:10 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"His tenure and accomplishments as Head Scientist are second to none. Not within my time in Hoenn. It's a good idea to understand people like that."

Jokes are always used to keep tempers in check but Fernando gives credit where credit is due. The last impression he wants to impart is that Lucas Lane is one giant caricature of some shitposter. No, he's more than that, but that doesn't mean they can't give him flak within the confines of their own office space. It's the least he could do to help out his best buddy and aspiring protege.

"But generally most scientist are like that. I just happen to have Lane's kryptonite."

Fernando pauses, recollecting another instance.

"Actually, yeah, the last Head Scientist had their own intricacies." That's his way of putting it politely. "She used to answer time in incredible detail. I asked her when she was going to graduate, or something like that, and she answered along the lines of 'in a hundred thousand minutes'."

Undoubtedly, he's butchered the story, but he also can't be ass'ed to remember it in detail. "You kind of get used to it."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,115 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2020 1:03:50 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]"it's intimidating to think about how impressive he really is," she murmurs. to be on the same board as a piece like that? a class of his own based on intelligence alone. there are very few people she could even name that could come close to the talents a man like lucas lane has.

a hum escapes her because really, he's not wrong. each scientist has a set of quirks, so much so that she wonders if it might just come with the job.

"and your trusting me with knowledge of his kryptonite?" an eyebrow raises, mostly curious but with a hint of challenge. as if she expects him to provide some insight into why she, of all people, should be equipped with such.

and then he's pausing before slightly shifting the topic. the last head scientist. another member of the community with her own specific traits, ones that he's currently highlighting. a light laugh follows and while she knows she shouldn't find it amusing, she does if only because she almost imagine the look on fernando's face when presented with such information. "she should've given you the seconds, too," minutes work just as well, however, and the story almost makes those before her feel more human than just names on a list. "it seems as though intricacies are required for this job." although, it makes her wonder... what are hers?

the smile she flashes him, then, is halfway between amused and content. "i would hope so. otherwise, it might be dreadful to go to work each day."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
CHECK-IN
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2020 8:38:40 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Head Scientist, for one reason or another, never last too long. Some crack under pressure, others get discouraged. If you're lucky, you'll find passion for someone else and send in your resignation along with your wedding invitation." The League's retention has never been great. Between Scientist and Gym Leaders, none seem to ever last more than a couple months at best. Which is why it's imperative that he makes her feel well received and set for success.

"Consider it a welcoming gift from me to help you ease into Lab culture. Don't be intimidated."

Fernando claps his hands, as if to wrap up today's discussion.

"I have high hopes for you, Reyes."