awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 3:31:26 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“A good number of Rangers in the force are either those who don’t have families or are in tough situations in their respective homes, you know,” he shared briefly.

Since he had access to all the personnel files, he knew who was in what situation—while there were some who weren’t in either, the head count of those who were was rather significant to warrant his attention.

While he was cleaning out the blood and swabbing the cut area with disinfectant, a furrowed look crossed his features. His brows knit together in concern at the mention of Fernando having to know what had happened.

“See, Stormy—here’s another thing you should know. The way Fernando approached me to ask about Kaida recently had threatening undertones—that could mean her removal from the squad altogether, if it’s proven that she acted the way she did,” he explained as he dabbed the area around the cut gently with a fresh piece of gauze.

“Hold that gauze down to stop the bleeding, I have to get something,” he said and went back to the kitchen. A few minutes would pass before he returned with a small dish of water and a clean wash cloth to continue cleaning the wound before he applied the iodine solution.

Once he returned, he continued to share his observations.

“Look at it this way. I don’t know how much power the Council holds over us Rangers, but if he wants her to be removed from the squad… he’s going to have to go through me, if ever. The thing is I don’t know exactly how much sway he has over the other Council members to warrant someone’s removal just because of what happened,” he went on quietly as he finished cleaning up the wound.

he shares his concerns

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
if you could only see the beast you've made of me
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 3:42:57 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","kcontain"]
[attr="class","kheaderbig"]

[attr="class","kthread"][attr="class","league"]

Her attention rests on her open palm and the neat cut that stretches between two fingers. She curls her fingers on occasion in response, involuntarily sucking in a hiss of pain as the cleaning stings and burns. [break][break]

In the meantime, however, she is listening, but she can't help but feel she doesn't share his concerns or his desire to protect - at least not entirely.[break][break]

"He's upset by the outcome of this situation, Lars. Rightfully so, I'd say. He doesn't throw accusations or concerns out freely - if he's upset it's because this is serious. People died because of the actions supposed League-associated citizens took. We're in hot water, worse than our rescue mission in Slateport two years ago. This is bad."[break][break]

Blood seeps slowly through the gauze he presses into her palm and her fingers curl around his for a moment - involuntarily - before he pulls away to get something. Her other hand presses firmly against her cut as she follows his departure and return. There's concern in her gaze, and it isn't because she's bleeding.[break][break]

"I know the rangers are like family, but are you really going to risk everything to protect someone who may not deserve it? Fernaando isn't unreasonable - impossible - but not unreasonable. This isn't about saving face, this is about ensuring the safety of our civilians. If she had a hand in the death of the security guard - in her own death and anyone else caught in the aftermath of her recklessness? I don't know, Lars. I don't know."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","notes"]notes: ...

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheaderbig]width:350px;height:215px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:auto;padding:5px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.9;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]

[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.kthread]width:309px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.faction b]font-weight:bold;color:#4d72a0;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rocket b]font-weight:bold;color:#716075;[/newclass]
[newclass=.league b]font-weight:bold;color:#dea02c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.notes]font-size:8px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 4:07:04 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The mention of the ‘rescue mission’ in Slateport makes him sigh—it’s something he’d made himself forget because that was the time he’d lost one of his long-time partner Pokémon to an explosion that… was it really worth the trouble, though?

What with the way the Commissioner is acting strange even now… maybe something did go wrong back then… but then again this is just me theorizing things, he thought to himself as he finished dabbing iodine solution and wrapped the cut area with fresh gauze and held it down with tape.

“There, should be a temporary fix for now,” he gestured at the treated injury. He then turned his thoughts to what she had said, and the look of concern never left his face.

“If it does happen and she gets removed, what’s the chance she might flip sides because of whatever decision they would make, or worse?” he thought out loud, before clearing his throat and going to clean his own hands after taking care of the wound. “I’m just concerned that she might get sentenced without even getting a proper trial. Would that be too much to hope not to happen?”

At the mention of them attempting to save face, he could only sigh. Reaching for another paper towel, he then dried his hands off.

“We… much as I don’t want to think about that time, I guess we got lucky back then even if we did have our fair share of casualties. But then again, this is something different altogether.”

thinking

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 24, 2020 22:19:11 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]

He sighs and she shares the sentiment - reminders of their fuck-up in Slateport was never satisfying.[break][break]

But she remains focused on his meticulous care of her hand. There's a warmth in her chest as a result, that even after all of this time and the bad blood between them, there's still something between them. It both relieves her and makes her sad.[break][break]

As soon as he's finished taping it down she gently flexes her hand to test the rigidity of the bandaging. It's tight and pulls her fingers into a snug curve, but the pain has reduced to a dull throb.[break][break]

Her attention moves back to the concerned expression on his face, and she finds herself reflecting the same emotion back, even as she studies his face.[break][break]

"If there's potential for her to flip sides over something like this, what's to stop her from flipping later? I know it sounds cruel - but we aren't here to harbor criminals. If she's innocent, we can protect her. But if she isn't? Are you willing to protect someone like that?"[break][break]

But she frowns and Stormy's expression changes to severity.[break][break]

"Of course she will get a proper trial. If we don't uphold legal standards, we're no better than our enemy. It is so important, now more than ever, to follow the law."[break][break]

She softens a bit, however.[break][break]

"We were incredibly lucky. But we were given a fair trial, therapy, an outlet to help us recover. They'll do the same for Kaida."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheaderbig]width:350px;height:215px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:auto;padding:5px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.9;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]

[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.kthread]width:309px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 1:59:37 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Honestly, I’m surprised I didn’t get called in for questioning at the time—although I know you were and Thomas was on the receiving end of the stick at the time that incident happened,” he said, lost in thought for a few moments.

It’s not until he looked down did he realize something was amiss—that he was still shirtless.

“You—you didn’t tell me I didn’t have my shirt on,” he stammered as he turned around to hide the burning blush that crept up on his ears for a few moments. Reaching for the forgotten shirt that was still slung over his shoulder, he proceeded to slip it on before stretching his arms above his head.

“You know? With the way things are being handled… I’m surprised it’s taken the higher-ups this long to notice we’ve been on a losing skid,” he said presently as he returned back to where Stormy was, this time holding a bag of bread and a jar of spread along with a spoon.

thinking

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 2:08:04 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]

Stormy's face falls, reminders of a time since past are unfavorable. Especially given her interactions with her therapist directly after the incident. She'd been ordered to attend sessions until they deemed her fit for work again. It had been an arduous process, even if it had paid off in the end. [break][break]

She had been under fire because she'd been one of the few responsible for the murder of those people. She, with her own hands (via her Pokemon) had killed someone. The League had been very specific about it never happening again.[break][break]

Really, she probably shouldn't even be here. If that wasn't a tale of how lenient the League was, she didn't know what was.[break][break]

But Lars is gasping at something else and she retracts her hand as he pulls away. A deep-seated blush spreads across her cheeks as she, too, fights to respond. She'd sort of tried to mention it earlier - but he hadn't responded. And, honestly, the view hadn't been that unfavorable.[break][break]

"You-- I--"[break][break]

Ultimately, she finds that not responding might work more in her favor than against, and she averts her gaze even as he replaces his shirt and continues his train of thought - though hers had been thoroughly abandoned.[break][break]

"Oh... I--I think they know, there's just nothing they can do right now. Something needs to change, though."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 2:22:31 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He listened to her stammering, and for a few moments finds himself indulging the thoughts that had entered his mind.

I still got it, apparently, he thought to himself as the beginnings of a grin threatened to spread across his face as he saw just how red she had turned when he brought it up. Really, he didn’t realize he was doing it until he’d noticed it!

He then let out a sheepish kind of noise before setting the bread and spread on the coffee table.

“I asked him—Fernando—why it had taken so long for the League to start moving. And then he mentioned that they’re thinking of getting another Head Ranger?” he continued with a scoff as he pulled the seal on the bread bag open and popped the jar of spread open.

“Honestly, I felt rather threatened by how he mentioned it…” he added a few moments later as he stuck the spoon in and slapped a helping on the bread before spreading it around and placing a second slice atop the first once he was done.

“You sure you’re not hungry?” he asked as he offered her the sandwich he’d made.

thinking

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 2:34:20 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]

With his shirt replaced and the conversation moved on, Stormy manages to look past the slight smile Laurence bears as a result of her embarrassment. Preferring not to dwell on it, she instead cocoons her hand near her waist, shifting her weight.[break][break]

She remains like that for a while, mesmerized by the way he spreads the bread and puts something quick and easy together.[break][break]

"Do you think he plans on replacing you?"[break][break]

While she wasn't surprised by Fernando's forwardness, surely he wasn't the type to make moves like that behind one's back. He didn't seem to care about making enemies or allies as long as his objective remained set in stone. But it was hard to tell with the man.[break][break]

Stormy didn't honestly believe that he was being replaced, however. There wasn't a reason for that that she could fathom - not one blatantly obvious anyway.[break][break]

Her stomach growls at the mention of food and his extended offering. She hesitates for a moment, guilty for having originally said 'no' and now admittedly realizing how hungry she was. Sometimes she got so caught up in visits and expectations and meetings that she forgot to look after herself.[break][break]

"Uhh.. sure. I suppose I am a bit hungry."[break][break]

She's clumsy in her approach, bumping fingers against his hand as she reaches for the sandwich.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 2:48:34 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The slight smile remained on his face as he felt her fingers brush against his, and the way her face was still alight with blush made the slight smile grow even more.

“The way he said it, it was off-putting, to say the least. After that, I don’t know, he tries to rub it in my face that there’s not enough people joining with the Rangers so in the back of my mind I’m like, ‘I’m working on that!’ but of course I have to keep my face as blank as possible while speaking with him.”

He then assembles a second sandwich for himself. Once he’s done, he immediately took a big bite out of it, to allow for a few moments to gather his thoughts.

After he was done chewing, he spoke up again.

“So there you have it, that’s it—really. Now I’m planning on going around the Gym circuit and test myself to see if I can handle Pokémon battles in a controlled environment—you know how much different it is when we fight wild Pokémon that have gone berserk and we have to calm them down.”

thinking

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 2:55:08 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]

He continues to smile and her chest tightens, though she isn't sure why such a simple gesture is making the air feel thin. They had been friends once, after all. Were they friends still? It was hard to say. [break][break]

Even still, she takes a moment to focus on the sandwich given to her. She not so subtly takes a deep inhale to smell the bread - it happened to be a soft spot for her. She should really try her hand at fresh baked bread made in her own kitchen. But she had no time for such things.[break][break]

"Fernando is off-putting on a regular basis. I wouldn't overthink it, he's bound to give you a splitting headache."[break][break]

While Lars takes a bite, she does too, if only to not make conversation stilted or awkward. The sandwich does well to settle the grumble in her stomach, and she feels her tense shoulders relax. God, she needed a massage.[break][break]

"The gym circuit? It's certainly not a bad idea. I've learned a lot even from my time as a gym leader. I'm trying to make time to challenge the circuit myself... but my time could be better spent elsewhere, it seems."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 20:38:12 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“He almost gave me a headache that one time we were talking,” he continued with a chuckle as he continued to eat his way through the sandwich he was holding. “I suppose that’s normal too, I guess?”

A little rumble, almost missable, escapes him, before it becomes a quiet peal of laughter.

“Now I can kind of understand why you don’t like to recognize him as a sibling, he can drive you up the wall,” he added a few moments later as he continued finishing up the rest of his sandwich. Once he was done, he then reached for the bag of bread and began making himself a second one.

“I don’t know how many of the Gyms I can challenge, however I do have this,” he went on once he’d finished assembling the second sandwich. Leaving it balanced atop the bread bag, he fished around for a small case and opened it, showing the contents to her.

“I only have like, one badge so far. From that weirdly-themed Gym down in Oldale. But I want to get more, too.”

hmm

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 21:10:04 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]

"Everything involving Fernando usually results in a headache."[break][break]

But he's not a stupid man. The thought is brief, fleeting, soon becoming an afterthought. She doesn't voice it out loud, but she does appear momentarily distracted.[break][break]

"That and he was never around until now - when I sought him out. He makes a point himself to title me as anything but family. It's easier to just accept it - I don't care anymore."[break][break]

She loses herself in her thoughts, chewing on the sandwich. It really hits the spot despite it being a simple snack. God, she loved snacks. And food.[break][break]

Her attention is soon redirected to Lars' badge case, however. She doesn't carry hers around, preferring to leave it at home.[break][break]

"I never had a chance to challenge it, unfortunately. It seemed like a real test of merit and perseverance."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 21:29:33 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Glad I’m not the only one who thinks of it that way, then,” he continued with a chuckle.

“Honestly—you have some people on the Council who don’t know what they’re about to get themselves into, and on the opposite side of the scale you have Fernando, always sticking his hands into so many pies it’s kind of… distracting,” he tactfully replied—because there was something else he wanted to say however he decided not to mention it because it was definitely his own opinion at this point.

At the way she’s treated by the same person who she shares a surname with, the look on his face goes from one of teasing playfulness to concern, before reverting back to the same previous expression.

“He really doesn’t give a shit about you, huh… I don’t know why, but I got a similar feeling from him in that meeting we had. Like, he would only approach you if he needed something… may just be me, but you’re the one who has more experience about this first-hand so correct me if I’m wrong,” he mused.

He then reached for the newly-constructed sandwich and took another bite out of it.

“Oh, it was… I had to survive through an entire section of the forest that one evening and I kept running into… into s-s-s-s-spi-spiders. I h-h-h-hate spiders… he recounted, unable to fully forget the terrible evening he spent.

While it was in a controlled environment, the sight of anything that resembled an arachnid was more than enough to make his skin fucking crawl.

hmm

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 22:03:08 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]

"At least he knows what he's doing with those pies. I'd rather him at the helm of business decisions than anyone else, I think."[break][break]

If Lars is leading to something less than stellar regarding Fernando, she doesn't pick up on it. Everyone seems to have their qualms about the councilman - herself included. But as of late she had come to respect him to some degree. She had even defended him on some accounts. Maybe she was just trying to save her own face, however. [break][break]

She often was recognized as merely 'Fernando's sister', after all.[break][break]

What she does catch, however, is Lars' expression changing from playful to concern and back again. For a moment she merely studies his face, remaining quiet even when he speaks his mind about her relationship with the man. [break][break]

"I think he gives too much of a shit that he has to pretend he doesn't. Maybe I'm just searching for the good in him though. I don't know..."[break][break]

She loses track of her thought until Lars begins to stutter and panic. It brings a note of concern to her own face, brows knitting together as she observes him recall something about.. spiders? Didn't Ro, his Metagross, sort of look like a spider? Should she bring that up? She's going to bring that up.[break][break]

"Y'know, Ro reminds me of a spider. With his legs positioned the way they are, I mean."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bite the bullet [c]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 23:23:22 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Maybe you’re looking for the goodness in the wrong places. I dunno, that’s just me though, I can’t say anything to your unusual relationship and how you treat each other as ‘siblings’, so to speak,” he replied with a shrug before taking another bite of the sandwich he had with him.

A few moments later, as the topic shifted to arachnids in general, he tensed up.

“L—look,” he began as he shook his head, “Ro—is not a spider. Anything that has eight legs is way too many for me—the… the way they can land on you from out of nowhere, and then th-th-the creepy, tingly… urrrgh, it grosses me out, he added with a shudder.

Shaking his head, he could only hope she would keep this quiet.

“S-s-see, there’s a r-reason why whenever it’s a den of… of spider Pokémon… I h-h-have someone else deal with it. I-I-I-I can’t handle th-them, okay?”

Damn it, why was he stammering so much?!

not the spiders please