thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
lower than i thought we'd go, why'd the guilt spread so slow?
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 15:10:08 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]the laptop rests on the coffee table in front of him. sounds from the television fades into nothingness as he reads the text on the screen. the option to return to what once was is offered to him, but he knows that even if he were to accept, what once was no longer exists and there's nothing he can do to change that.

so should he stop running?

he's pulled away by the repeated knocking on the door. he blinks, breaking out of his thoughts as he walks over to open it.

"oh hey it's you." right as he says that, his phone buzzes in his pocket, and he pulls it out to see an incoming call. "i have to take this but make yourself at home," he says, smiling as he gestures towards the living room. lance takes a step past her and heads outside, making sure to close the door behind him.

[newclass=.lance] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.lance b] color: #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.lance i] text-decoration: underline dotted #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
if you could only see the beast you've made of me
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 17:11:23 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","kcontain"]
[attr="class","kheaderbig"]
[attr="class","team2"]

[attr="class","cthread"][attr="class","league"]

Stormy's knuckles rap on his front door until it opens. She's smiling when she sees him, but is automatically distracted by the buzzing in his pocket and the phone he pulls out. She blinks, saying nothing so as to not disturb the phone call. While he passes by, she slips inside and allows him to close the door behind her.[break][break]

Once inside, she's immediately relieved by the familiar smell of Lance's home. She treats herself to a glass of cold water, intent on making herself comfortable on his couch while he waits. [break][break]

Unfortunately, comfort is not what she would find there. The open laptop is, at first, skipped over. Spying on his private affairs wasn't something she was interested in. But the title of the email catches her eye and before she realizes what she's doing, she's reading it.[break][break]

"... what?"[break][break]

Dread fills the pit in her stomach as the details of the email settle. They want him to return to the region, to his home. And for reasons she hadn't wanted to address yet, she feels scared, worried he might leave.[break][break]

Without thinking about it, she shifts the laptop away from her and abandons her drink, suddenly uneasy.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","notes"]notes: ...

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheaderbig]width:350px;height:215px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:23px;padding:5px;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.cthread]width:309px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:12px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.faction b]font-weight:bold;color:#4d72a0;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rocket b]font-weight:bold;color:#716075;[/newclass]
[newclass=.league b]font-weight:bold;color:#dea02c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.notes]font-size:8px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 17:52:16 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]"yeah. i'm sorry."

it isn't too long until the call ends and he's stepping back into the coldness of his house. he exhales, closing the door behind him before approaching the living room.

"my bad, i had to take that. how you doing?"

he's grown used to her presence in his home; seeing the glass of water tells him she feels the same way. he doesn't notice how the laptop had moved at first, but when he settles into the seat next to her, it clicks in his head. he peers at her then, reading.

lance asks a question he already knows the answer to: "you okay?"

[newclass=.lance] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.lance i] text-decoration: underline dotted #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 18:12:23 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","team2"]

She seems to be stewing on something when he comes to sit next to her. Where his presence is usually appreciated and warm next to her, she feels awkward and stiff. [break][break]

When he turns to study her face and repeats the question, she blinks and swallows.[break][break]

"I didn't mean to read it - I mean I did, but it wasn't my intention--- was that them on the phone? The Sinnoh branch?"[break][break]

She doesn't want to lie to him, not about something like this. She seems conflicted, unsure what to do with her hands, so she reaches for the glass of water so she has something to hold on to.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheaderbig]width:350px;height:215px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:23px;padding:5px;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.cthread]width:309px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:12px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 18:21:19 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]"it was."

her expression is telling but he chooses not to focus too much on it, if only to give her some space to collect her thoughts. he reaches for the laptop, noticing the email scrolled to the bottom, and pulls the screen shut not out of anger, but perhaps to save her the pain.

"they wanted to know my answer."

and he's given them one. but he chooses not to tell her. he chooses not to say anything else. instead, he waits for her to speak.

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 18:39:58 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","team2"]

She shouldn't be upset. She has no right to be. She has no claim or control over what he does or wishes to do, and yet she watches him close the laptop lid and she feels something.[break][break]

Her left knee is pulled to her chest, her right hand holds the glass.[break][break]

"What did you say?"

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 18:59:54 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]this thing that they're doing where they both refuse to speak about what they are or how they feel—it won't work any longer. lance has known this for a while now but he chose to ignore it, somewhat ignorant in hoping it would turn out okay.

"what do you want me to have said?"

he can feel the tension rising in the room but he refuses to allow her to remain quiet. he wants her to speak her mind. her feelings. for them.

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 19:02:20 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","team2"]

Stormy sets the glass back down.[break][break]

"No. I want you to have said no."[break][break]

She turns to look at him. She looks sad, confused.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 19:11:14 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]her answer does little to calm the rampant rush of emotions between them. if anything, it further goads him into pushing further.

"why?"

is what he decides on. why does she want him to stay? why should he stay? whatever is unspoken between them cannot exist for much longer. he just wants her to be the first to take the leap.

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 19:15:00 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","team2"]

"You know why."[break][break]

Emotion is thick in her voice as she says this, as she studies his face, looking for any indication, anything at all to help her voice her feelings. She does it anyway, whether he feels the same or not.[break][break]

"I care for you. A lot. It would break my heart if you left."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 19:33:53 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]he's unable to stop the guilt that creeps onto his features. her words draw out emotions from deep within and he forces himself to keep his gaze on her. all of it has led up to this moment that he thought would never come. how foolish of him to think they could play pretend and ignore the overarching issue that's plagued them since the beginning.

this is the consequence of his actions and he has to face them.

"what do you want from me, stormy?"

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 19:39:29 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","team2"]

His reaction would have pulled her legs right out from under her, had she been standing. It's not what she wanted, what she'd hoped for. He's keeping his attention on her but he seems pained. The tension makes her sick.[break][break]

"I want you to be happy, Lance. I thought maybe I could make you happy - we could be happy."[break][break]

But suddenly she's afraid, watching him sit next to her and drill her with questions he definitely already knows the answer to. They'd been involved without acknowledging it for a while. She'd been afraid this would happen - that he would look at her and not feel the same.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 19:48:19 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]it's not that he doesn't feel the same. he hopes she knows this. but the way she looks at him tells him she doesn't and it's probably his fault. he can't expect her to be honest with him if he isn't with her. he knows this and yet he still finds it so difficult to say it. to tell her the truth.

"i—" he clears his throat, perhaps the first time he's struggled to speak. "i can't give you what you want."

guilt morphs into pain and he makes no attempt to hide it. he's not crying but perhaps that makes it worse.

"happiness, commitment—i just can't."

close tab

played by

castaway

stormy, bronwen
she / her
twenty-five
july 25
saffron city, kanto
heterosexual
elite four
1350 height
1350 height
awards
3,978 posts
Stormy Silph DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @stormy
Stormy Silph
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2020 19:54:04 GMT
Stormy Silph Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","team2"]

Despite the pain she's feeling, she's desperate for comfort. She lowers her knee and draws closer to him, seeking his hand. [break][break]

He's struggling to respond and she feels her chest tighten. The reality of the situation is coming to a head. She'd been ignoring her feelings, but it was impossible to do so anymore - not when she might be faced with him leaving for Sinnoh.[break][break]

"Lance."[break][break]

If she had found his hand, she'd squeeze it.[break][break]

"This isn't about me, is it? What's wrong? Please, just talk to me."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
afterlife [c]
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2020 7:33:36 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]she only finds his hands for a few moments before he's pulling away to stand up, breaking away from the comfort of the simple gesture. "one sec," he says before disappearing down the hallway.

lance returns a few minutes later with a few photos in his hand. where words fail him, he hopes these will give her the answer she's looking for. he offers it to her and remains standing.

one photo depicts a couple at a wedding. the groom is looking at his bride like she is the only thing in the world that matters to him. and in that moment, she was, because she was his everything.

one photo depicts a family, happy at the beaches of sunyshore city. the mother is sat on the sand, laughing as a wave crashes over her husband and daughter. she admires the sight, cherishing every little moment.

one photo depicts a young girl, no older than four, dressed in a school uniform with a bright smile on her face. school hasn't started yet and she already misses her parents, but she knows it'll be okay because they'll be there waiting for her. they always will be.

"they both died last year. car crash."