6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
PFL Playoffs: Goldenrod @ Heahea [PUB][C/Alex]
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 10:25:11 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had truly learned how to be a Gym Leader this year. While the top position at Mauville Racing Ground was important, a good Gym Leader made sure his Gym could run with enough autonomy that he could step away from it, if need be. In this last week of 2022, his most trusted Gym Trainers had taken dozens of challengers. The number of Badges his Gym disbursed did increase a little, but it was still well within League limits. Furthermore, he got to live his dream just a couple of weeks back. The blistering fast ride on the electric Johto Beast's back was an experience that Josh would never forget. As far as he was concerned, he didn't need to pursue Raikou anymore. Especially with knowing that his home region's Raikou, the only one he was aware of, died some time ago defending Johto from Team Rocket.

If another region's Raikou truly thought Josh was a good fit, that Raikou would seek him out. Chasing something that he didn't even know existed would only lead him to disappointment. Instead, he would be ringing in 2023 by crossing back over a river he thought he had left behind. He would redouble his efforts on not only his own Gym, but the Hoenn Gym circuit as a whole. He knew three members of the Hoenn region's Elite Four quite well. This last night of 2022 he would spend enjoying great food over the conference championship football game between Goldenrod and Heahea. The winner would go to the Ultra Bowl. Now where was ? Josh didn't arrive that early, did he?

1ST QTR 15:00
GOL 0
HEA 0
KICKOFF

{WC: 269}
{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Saber          Manectric       Good
Ares           Charizard       Good
Snacker        Sharpedo        Good
Nitro          Gogoat          Good
Janus          Espeon          Good
Kokusho        Hydreigon       Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2023 12:40:09 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Okay if he was being honest—he’d originally come over with (but good lord, the crush of people meant he’d lost his boyfriend in the crowd and man was he getting rowdy because of all the alcohol he’d ingested… shit Frog really meant what he said about being a lightweight) and had somehow spotted somewhere along the way but yikes…

All the people that turned out for the celebrations… and he’d just let himself be carted by the flow of the crowd, eventually ending up close to where…

“I didn’t know you drink!” was the greeting little Josh would get from him as he fought his way over to where the younger man was. Fellow Gym Leader in arms and heavy advocate of non-traditional challenges just like himself.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 14, 2023 8:36:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"There you are!" Josh waved to Alex, gesturing toward the table he was sitting at, which had front row seats to perhaps the greatest game of the season. "I actually don't drink. You know what they say; 200 miles an hour and alcohol don't mix. What I'm here for are three things: food, football, and poker. Isn't that what you're here for?" Well, maybe not the poker part, but they had made enough small talk for Josh to guess, from the Birdfather's heritage, that he was more into Unovan football than was. Maybe he'd actually call it what it was and not "handegg". What a funny name.

Josh smirked as he idly watched the offensive and defensive lines crash into one another for four straight possessions. This was going to be a game of defenses, and every point mattered. Even a missed PAT could make the difference between going to the Ultra Bowl and going home. "And speaking of 200 miles an hour, oh boy do I ever have a story for you. One you might not believe right away."

1ST QTR 6:55
GOL 0
HEA 0
BALL: Heahea 11

{WC: 181}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2023 14:42:01 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

He hoped that Frog would be alright considering the thick crush of people in the crowd because holy djinni it was going to be a time getting back where they’d gotten separated.

(And hopefully he didn’t get fucking wasted in the process, but knowing ’s near non-existent tolerance for hard drinks this was going to be a miracle in and on itself.)

“I’m here with my boyfriend but uh. Yeah. Thick crowd. Too many people! he exclaimed once he’d made an order of the signature Gravedigger cocktail (the food would come later).

And then…

“Oh fuck’s sake what kind of a play was that?!” he shouted at the TV, never mind if more than a few heads turned their way before he hissed and made a quick order of the biggest serving of fries that was available, no salt.

“Okay, knowing you it might be something crazy that involves racing… unless…?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2023 14:59:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh smiled at Alex's comment on how crowded the bar was. "I mean... between poker night and the PFL postseason, of course it's gonna be busy." When he heard Alex ordering something adult after Josh ordered a tall glass of lemonade, he asked, "Mind if I get a whiff of that Gravedigger before you get started? It's about the only way I can enjoy them. For some people, one drink puts them over the top. And I'd rather not find out."

Alex seemed to be more fired up than Josh was about the football game. "That should have been a penalty on Heahea. I dunno how the refs missed that hold." The teams' defenses were too good; neither could even get within field goal range for the entire first quarter. A touchback on a Heahea punt gave Goldenrod decent field position going into the second quarter, but gains were short against the best passing defense in the PFL.

"It's a bittersweet one. Remember when I told you all roads to my dream led to ? It turns out that was more direct than I could have ever imagined. During Meteno, I found out he had command over the Great One. I never could have imagined he had such an incredible Pokémon at his beck and call. I found out, and later reinforced this when I went on a brief vacation to Johto, that Entei was... the only survivor of the Kanto war. Raikou and Suicune didn't make it."

2nd QTR 13:50
GOL 0
HEA 0
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: Goldenrod 25

{WC: 249}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2023 15:08:16 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Oh, right, you can’t drink because of your preferred job,” he cackled with a smirk on his face as he returned his attention back to the TV screen. He could do more than one thing at a time, bless multitasking skills.

At the mention of the referees, he rolled his eyes.

“Some of them are either fucking blind or have been paid off to ignore certain calls. That was definitely a clear penalty, right there, light of day, but then again money talks and…” the rest of the sentence slipped away into indistinct Russian mumbling that ended with a very pointed eye roll at the TV screen.

Once the other had mentioned the League’s very own dog boy, his eyebrows went up.

“Wait, wait, hold up—what? How sure are you?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2023 15:33:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Officiating was hard, but ever since the Great Shutdown, PFL referees had become significantly more questionable in their jobs than that of other sports. "As much of a tinfoil hat as that is, it may not be far from the truth." Goldenrod's offense was able to slowly march down the field, mostly sticking to running plays and causing the clock to run almost constantly. A critical third-and-short was coming up for Goldenrod. If they were stopped here, they could still attempt to kick a field goal, but 55 yards was a tall ask for a kicker that wasn't Hall-of-Fame material.

"About as certain as you can get with legendary Pokémon. Kyle's testimony and a memorial erected in the tower's ruins, dated 2017, is as much confirmation as I'm realistically going to get. So unless another Raikou appears in Hoenn, my chase... is over. But it's not all bad news." He showed Alex his new phone wallpaper: a photograph of Josh sitting on Raikou's back, holding the outer tufts of his cloud as though they were reins. The backdrop was Trainer Hill, specifically Josh's old Racing Grounds from when he was a Minor League Leader.

2nd QTR 8:10
GOL 0
HEA 0
3rd DOWN & 2
BALL: Heahea 37

{WC: 195}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 0:16:42 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“I mean, take a closer look—some of those refs are just… they saw it plain as day but didn’t call it! Betting you they got some fat payouts just to ignore those blatantly obvious fouls. And then there’s the fact that the betting places have like some kind of… ugh,” he grumbled as he sunk his forehead straight into the counter in a show of frustration.

The moment the other spoke and had confirmation that the legendary cat—dog? Tiger? Honestly, what was Raikou even because was it even a canine even if it looked like a feline? Honestly some Legendary Pokémon got so confusing at times—

“Wait, clear up something for me. You said that the one you’re looking for is dead, but—wait a moment…

He squinted again at the picture, before asking the next question:

“When did you take this picture?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 2:17:48 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had heard that about sports referees in general, but in the PFL in particular, rumors were rampant. He supposed it was due to each individual game mattering more, given that there were only 17 weeks in the season. "As tinfoil hat as it is, it does explain some of the more egregious calls. But you have to remember that they're human too, and making those calls in real time is hard. I think an expansion of the review process would be the best way to go about it. Make some of those 15 yard penalties part of the review process, especially player safety fouls." Goldenrod's run play was quickly stopped just short of the first down, forcing their kicker to attempt a season-long 54 yard field goal attempt. The kick was up and away... and good! Cheers erupted from the bar and tables nearby as Goldenrod scored the first points of the game, including cheers and raised arms from Josh.

"This was taken on my birthday, December 12 of last year, at Kyle's Minor League facility. You know, where my Gym used to be before retired. It's not the real thing, though. It's a... familiar, for the lack of a better term. But he said it was just like the real thing. And it showed when it ran. I've never felt such an adrenaline rush in my life. The whole experience, and his words after, led me to believe that even if it's not Johto's, there is a Raikou in Hoenn somewhere. I can't help but feel this is the year we find each other. I want the real thing more than anything else in the world. But until I have a lead, I have to hang up my chase and redirect my efforts elsewhere. I could go on about the experience all night--"

His story was interrupted by laughter from a nearby table, and he knew exactly why: a rare miscue from Heahea's center also left the announcers laughing.

"False start, offense, everyone but the center. Five yard penalty, first down."

Even Josh was reduced to tears.

"72. Snap the ball."

Prompt fulfilled

2nd QTR 2:51
GOL 3
HEA 0
1st DOWN & 15
BALL: Heahea 46

{WC: 354}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 2:30:38 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“I don’t know why they can’t get more referees to keep an eye on the field… seriously,” he grumbled as to nobody’s surprise, his fries came first—accompanied by various dips.

He then proceeded to attack the fries by taking several fries and dipping them in curry sauce, while others went into the standard ketchup. Yet others were sacrificed to the mayonnaise gods.

“A familiar?” he blinked, confused. How was that even possible?

And he chose the exact right time to look at the TV screen and let out a wheezing laughter that went along with everyone else who’d started laughing like deranged fucks.

“Geez, you never get to see one of those when the season’s active,” he wheezed out once he was coherent enough to laugh because holy shit that was one for the ages.

“Fucking hell.”

His Gravedigger cocktail then arrived.

“Here, want to take a look?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 2:51:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The laughter was contagious.

"You know, Alex... you put a new center in the game... you need to snap it. You gonna snap the ball or not?" He had to take a couple minutes to compose himself, after which his own food arrived: a juicy-looking steakburger, grilled to perfection, with his own side of fries and dips for them. "Yeah, they're pretty rare. It's just funny that they call that penalty on the entire team except for the center, when the penalty is usually the center's fault."

As he took a whiff of the Gravedigger cocktail, something in Josh wished he didn't have to abstain from alcohol completely as part of being Mauville's Gym Leader. "It's not because I'm a Gym Leader that I have to abstain. It's specifically because of my racing challenge," he remarked as Heahea completed a big passing play right as the two-minute warning sounded. Goldenrod's defensive line managed to stop them within the red zone, leaving their kicking unit with a 25-yard chip shot to tie the game with a minute left. Goldenrod still had all their timeouts, meaning that a minute would be long enough to have a chance at one more score before the half.

"Yeah, a familiar," Josh confirmed. "I don't know how he did it, but when I asked Kyle if I could go for a ride on Entei to prepare for my chase, he broke the news to me, then called on... that. It materialized in front of us and was as friendly as a legendary can possibly be. I had near full control over it when I was on him. And it was just... exhilarating. Blissful, even. I even had one of 's gadgets on during the run, so I could see how fast Raikou was going. You know how fast Arcanine's EXTREME SPEED gets? Well, it was going even faster than that. No QUICK ATTACK, no nothing. Effortless, sustained speed."

Prompt fulfilled

2nd QTR 1:05
GOL 3
HEA 3
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: Goldenrod 25

{WC: 322}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 8:46:29 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Clearly someone wasn’t paying attention to the assignment because they forgot to yeet the ball,” he wheezed while in between servings of fries. He’d decided that the curry sauce dip was the tastiest, followed by the rest of the standard fries, of course.

He wondered if he should tell the young man about his own dirty little secret—no it wasn’t going to involve the plans him and Frog made for the new year later of course, but the other secret that involved a certain weather djinni…

“How fast did you go, four digits?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 16:06:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Exactly," Josh agreed with the Birdfather, who seemed especially ravenous tonight; was he even enjoying his food? The Mauville Leader was, contrary to his name, eating at a much slower pace. "The ironic thing about that penalty call is while technically the center is the only one that didn't foul, the blame usually rests with that center." After Goldenrod had run through all their timeouts, quarterback pressure led to a half-ending sack. "I dunno about you Alex, but I find these defense-dominated games boring to watch."

Once the halftime show had started, Josh answered Alex's question about his experience with Raikou, even going as far to share the peak speed value with him. "Nowhere close, but you have to remember, this is land speed, not air speed. Sometimes, I wonder if the super smooth flight of birds distorts one's concept of speed." While he didn't exactly have the best words for it, having to adjust to a land mount's constantly moving back, as well as the effects of terrain, made it much easier to handle extremely high air speeds than land speeds.

HALFTIME
GOL 3
HEA 3

{WC: 182}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2023 6:57:42 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“What can I say, I’m used to flying. It’s literally my preferred way of transport, I can’t even imagine how land speed compares to being up in the air…”

He then returned his attention to the curry sauce fries, before scooping some out and downing them in one go.

And then it was here he was reminded of something…

“You know… there’s something I’m looking forward to doing this year. You want to know what it is?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2023 15:49:48 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The first half of the third quarter was completely uneventful, as expected from two great defenses clashing with one another. The first chink in their armor came on an ill-timed penalty that made Josh frown:

"Holding, defense number 89. 5 yard penalty, automatic first down."

"You kidding me?" the Master of Faster groaned. "I get holding is the most common penalty in football, but Heahea just went from 3rd-and-5 to 1st-and-10 to get near field goal range. That's the first real mistake Goldenrod's made all game."

As the play clock wound down, his attention turned back to Alex. "Did the race last fall help you understand the difference between land speed and air speed? It really is night and day." The topic quickly turned to future endeavors in 2023. "No, you haven't! This year I want to be able to... conquer Raikou's speed. Whether it be with Kyle's familiar or the real thing. And to do that, I've decided I'm going to meet up with friends of mine that have been blessed by other, similarly fast legendary Pokémon and go riding with them. I can't think of a better way to train. Sorry to ramble. Go ahead."

3rd QTR 7:04
GOL 3
HEA 3
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: Goldenrod 43

{WC: 198}
{PC: 8}