awards
199 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aura1
Yvaine Varron
Run with the Hare, Hunt with the Hounds [M]
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2023 0:18:57 GMT
Yvaine Varron Avatar
How long had it been since she'd walked this path, riddled with familiarities? Years, at the very least, but now, in the light of the setting sun she was reminded of the olden times. Times she, if she had to be completely honest, were probably the happiest she'd ever been.

The daily trek to school and back again.

The warmth of a family she was forced to leave behind. They hadn't been blood-related, but she'd found them to be closer than kin whenever she looked back on her time with them.

Maybe that was why her footsteps felt so heavy, now she was getting so close to only place she might've dared call home. She could see the house come into view, picket fence and whatnot-- despite the years, not much seemed to have changed. Not even the figure hunched over, tending to something she couldn't quite make out. Her heart faltered, and for the first time in a long time she felt herself growing nervous.

Would they forgive her for what she'd done? For the sudden way in which she'd cut contact, not even bothering as much as a Christmas card, or a happy birthday when it mattered? Twelve, damned years she'd been gone. Would they even recognise her after so long? She really hoped so.

It took Yvaine a moment to gather her bearings, but when she did, she crossed the last few meters towards the house, remaining at the roadside of the fence.

"Da--" No. She wasn't certain she still held the right to call him 'dad'. "Nikolaj...?" Yvaine's voice withered into nothingness halfway through, somehow looking far more helpless than she had all those years ago, when she'd been left at the Volosenkov's front door.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

Kolya, Chernobog
he / him
May 10
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
heterosexual
ranger captain
ranger captain
You will die with a kiss on your lips and a lie in your heart.
awards
135 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolaj
Nikolaj Volosenkov
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2023 13:09:48 GMT
Nikolaj Volosenkov Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","nikolaj1"]
[attr="class","text"]

Why was it that the fence always needed repairs of some kind? Between extreme weather events, uncaring wild Pokémon, and natural degradation by time, Nikolaj found himself patching up a portion of the fence once more, two nails held between his teeth. His Excadrill stood nearby, helping him by handing him whatever tools he needed.[break][break]

A familiar voice interrupted his work — so familiar, in fact, that it was a wonder he didn't accidentally swallow and choke on the nails. Snatching them out of his mouth, he stood up and turned. The woman standing a distance away looked awfully similar to a girl he once knew.[break][break]

"Who — Yvaine?" Nikolaj demanded, his voice a mix of awe and confusion.[break][break]

There was no mistaking it. Though Yvaine had vanished when she was eighteen years old, the grown woman at the edge of his property was clearly the same girl. Her hair color was the same, as was the color of her eyes — though those eyes had changed, carrying a weight they previously did not. She'd filled out, too, shedding a childish figure for an adult's.[break][break]

Nikolaj did not know how to feel. He'd long since given up on ever hearing from Yvaine again, having mourned the daughter she'd been for only a few years. Yet there she suddenly was, standing in front of him again.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

Mission: The Hounds of Oldale

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.nikolaj1]--accent:#6C8FE5;[/newclass]
[newclass=.nikolaj1]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 a"]color:var(--accent);font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .credit"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .credit a"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Aura

Monarch
she/her
March 26th
Chroma Highlands, Almia
Demi-romantic
Bounty Hunter/Ethologist
Civilian
You say you're a god man, so what I'm the devil herself
awards
199 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aura1
Yvaine Varron
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2023 0:43:54 GMT
Yvaine Varron Avatar
She smiled softly, a sense of embarrassment waltzing over her. For a moment she did not know where to look, but she forced herself to keep her eyes on the man before her, who seemed as confused as she felt guilty. But he'd recognised her, and that was something she could've only hoped for.

Taking a few steps closer, the words she wished to say left her without ever being ushered. Yvaine'd gone over this so many times, yet when the moment had finally arrived, she found herself void of proper explanation. She couldn't justify her actions, not without pulling up facts and knowledge that would jeopardise the Volosenkovs. The very reason she'd cut ties in the first place. But now, in the face of the man she'd rather call father than the man who was so by blood, she felt so incredibly small.

"I'm... so sorry-" she muttered in a small voice, willing her brain to force the words that lingered across. Her eyes, hopeful at first, clouded over with shame before being cast down. "For disappearing. For not keeping in touch. I wanted to but it was too dangerous to- I didn't mean to... it was for the best," she started rambling, finding each excuse she could think of to only add to the regret and shame she felt. She normally never rambled. Yvaine Varron. Monarch. Always put together and hardly flustered by anything; now reduced to a rambling mess.

She tried to will herself into calmth, but the inner peace she craved never came. Only a moment of vocal clarity as she peered up again, eyes shimmering, on the brink of tears, with the only explanation left to give.

"I-I'm back, dad."

close tab

played by

gunsmile

Kolya, Chernobog
he / him
May 10
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
heterosexual
ranger captain
ranger captain
awards
135 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolaj
Nikolaj Volosenkov
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2023 10:28:47 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

Nikolaj watched Yvaine approach, head hung in shame and guilt as she scrambled for the words she thought would justify her actions. Yet he couldn't find it in himself to be angry with her. Instead, he handed his tools back to his Excadrill and walked around the fence until he stood in front of her.[break][break]

Then he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a fierce hug.[break][break]

"Welcome home, kid," Nikolaj said softly, his voice rough with emotion.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.nikolaj1]font:13px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 a"]color:var(--accent);font:13px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .text b"]font:bold 13px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Aura

Monarch
she/her
March 26th
Chroma Highlands, Almia
Demi-romantic
Bounty Hunter/Ethologist
Civilian
awards
199 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aura1
Yvaine Varron
POSTED ON May 9, 2023 0:23:17 GMT
Yvaine Varron Avatar
Yvaine just let the moment wash over her, the comfort of her father's hug something she hadn't known she'd missed as much as she had. The emotion in his voice was enough to settle the redhead, a handful of tears silently staining her cheeks as she sunk further into the embrace. And after what seemed like a moment that lasted far too shortly, she let go again, wiping her cheek and letting out a brief chuckle.

"I should've come home far sooner," she says, softly squeezing Nikolaj's arms as she takes a better look at her foster father. Despite the years that had passed, he looked just like she remembered him, safe for the few strands of grey sneaking through his hair.

"How have you been? And mom? And Saskia?"

Her curiosity gets the better of her, but perhaps that's for the best. Anything as long as it tempered her tears. It was already hard enough to see as is.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

Kolya, Chernobog
he / him
May 10
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
heterosexual
ranger captain
ranger captain
awards
135 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolaj
Nikolaj Volosenkov
POSTED ON May 9, 2023 14:56:49 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

When Nikolaj let Yvaine go, he did not miss the slight dampness on her cheeks or the quick motion of her fingers to wipe it away. But he said nothing of it and simply smiled.[break][break]

"We're doing good, really good. Sasky came home a few months back, shortly after the dome went down. She'd be happy to see you. Cami, too."[break][break]

He stepped back toward the fence he'd been repairing. Taking up the hammer and nails again, he resumed his work.[break][break]

"We've been having some bad luck with the wild Pokémon around here. A pack of Mightyena keep coming onto the property to hunt. It's dangerous, especially at night."[break][break]

A series of sharp taps drove a nail into place.[break][break]

"Lend me a hand here, would you? And tell me how you've been. What've you been up to?"

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.nikolaj1]font:13px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 a"]color:var(--accent);font:13px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .text b"]font:bold 13px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Aura

Monarch
she/her
March 26th
Chroma Highlands, Almia
Demi-romantic
Bounty Hunter/Ethologist
Civilian
awards
199 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aura1
Yvaine Varron
POSTED ON May 9, 2023 23:51:22 GMT
Yvaine Varron Avatar
She smiles and nods as he goes about repairing the fence again, looking for a second set of hammer and nails. Once found she knelt down next to Nikolaj, joining him in the rhythmic mending of hammers on steel.

"I've been well, considering. Dwayne didn't exactly make it easy settling back into the grind... nor the work. Got into a few fights, bore the consequences of my actions, and so on." she casually gestured at her face without looking up. From where she sat he'd only be able to see the small twin scars running across her jawline, while the rest remained hidden beneath her bangs. "It was lonely though, I'll admit. Dwayne made it clear staying in the same place for too long was a death trap, so me and Zoroark did just that, hopping from town to town. Roaming the regions. Until recently, I suppose. I can't remember how long it's been since I've stayed in one place for this long."

Unspoken stayed the reply to that self-imposed question. She knew exactly how long it had been. Ever since the day Dwayne came back to reclaim the daughter he'd left behind-- a man not worthy of the title of father.

Yvaine checks whether the board's properly fixed before moving unto the next one, though the hammer lingers above her nail as she speaks again.

"Speaking of those Mightyena... that's actually the reason-," she quiets for a second, then corrects herself. "The second reason I'm here. Taken up the contract to deal with them one way or another. It seemed only fitting to finally return something to the community that gave me a home; although I wasn't quite sure you still lived here." This time she turns towards Nikolaj and tilts her head, allowing her hair to fall and unveil the large scar running across her right eye. The relieved smile that follows lingers in the fogged paleness of her broken eye.

"I'm glad you stayed here, in Oldale. Allowing me to find you again."

close tab

played by

gunsmile

Kolya, Chernobog
he / him
May 10
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
heterosexual
ranger captain
ranger captain
awards
135 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolaj
Nikolaj Volosenkov
POSTED ON May 10, 2023 12:58:15 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

Nikolaj grunted with disapproval, telling Yvaine with one sound exactly what he thought of her birth father. But otherwise, he let her speak uninterrupted.[break][break]

"Cami and I don't have any plans to move. We like it here," he said when Yvaine fell silent. "Nice and quiet, away from the cities." Away from Team Rocket's influence and machinations.[break][break]

His single eye scanned her face when her hair fell back to reveal the worst of her scars. A part of him ached to see the injury to her eye. That his adopted daughter had met a fate similar to his troubled him.[break][break]

If only he had been around to protect her.[break][break]

Nikolaj finished the last repairs to the fence. "Are you going to keep moving after this contract, or are you home for good?" he asked.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.nikolaj1]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .text b"]font:bold 12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Aura

Monarch
she/her
March 26th
Chroma Highlands, Almia
Demi-romantic
Bounty Hunter/Ethologist
Civilian
awards
199 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aura1
Yvaine Varron
POSTED ON May 11, 2023 23:14:00 GMT
Yvaine Varron Avatar
"I think so." she says, though the crease in her brow is pensive. "I've been thinking of finding something more permanent, though I'm not sure where my, uh, 'expertise' would be welcomed."

She took solace in the fact she'd never strayed from her own morals; anything that harmed pokémon in an unnatural way was something she immediately declined. Even her way of poaching was considered more humane than most, but she'd often stayed away from such jobs. Even if it was often easier to hunt down pokémon than humans.

Yvaine shakes her head and smiles sheepishly as she rises to her feet. "But for now, yes. Yes I'm staying, in Hoenn at least. Until I've decided on where to settle." And on what to do. But those were issues she'd tackle later on. What mattered now was her reunion, and the Mightyena that needed taking care of.

Though she'd have to wait till sundown for the latter.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

Kolya, Chernobog
he / him
May 10
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
heterosexual
ranger captain
ranger captain
awards
135 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolaj
Nikolaj Volosenkov
POSTED ON May 13, 2023 4:02:54 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

Nikolaj was not the type of man who expressed emotions readily. So when Yvaine confirmed she'd stay — at least in Hoenn — for the foreseeable future, he did not smile. He merely nodded his head in a certain way that indicated his approval.[break][break]

"Well. Let's see what you learned in your years away," he said, giving the fence a firm shake. It held to his satisfaction. "I'll put these tools away, then we'll go hunt some hounds."[break][break]

After a quick trip to the shed, Nikolaj grabbed a few more Pokéballs and clipped them to his belt. Then, just in case, he slung his shotgun over his shoulder and stuffed his pockets with extra shells.[break][break]

He gestured for Yvaine to follow him down the dirt path that led deeper into the forest that backed his house. "C'mon."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.nikolaj1]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .text b"]font:bold 12px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Aura

Monarch
she/her
March 26th
Chroma Highlands, Almia
Demi-romantic
Bounty Hunter/Ethologist
Civilian
awards
199 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aura1
Yvaine Varron
POSTED ON May 18, 2023 23:35:12 GMT
Yvaine Varron Avatar
She remains near the fence as Nikolaj disappears to store his tools and prepare for their little hunt, a smile unconsciously lingering on her face as she waits. The funny feeling of belonging makes her feel giddy, and she's certain it's to blame for the silly smile she just can't seem to will away.

Even when Nikolaj returns, geared up and carrying a shotgun, it never truly fades.

The gun however makes her note the gravity of the Mightyena pack, and when they start along the dirt path she's quick to look for signs of their passing. And though half of her eyesight had been compromised, Yvaine still picks up on the tracks left behind on and around the trail; when she bends down to check them, she frowns.

"Hmm, strange... " she stands, only to walk a few more meters off the path to check again. "There's no adults in this particular pack. All adolescents by the size and indents of the imprints." It's a good thing she'd been so interested in the social behavior of pokémon, years of studying and observation finally making its use known.

"That's not normal pack behavior, so I'd like to make sure..." She regards her foster father and then gestures at the thicket going further down south, away from the path. "From what I can tell, they went that way. But can you tell me what exactly they've been doing in town?"

close tab

played by

gunsmile

Kolya, Chernobog
he / him
May 10
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
heterosexual
ranger captain
ranger captain
awards
135 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolaj
Nikolaj Volosenkov
POSTED ON May 19, 2023 19:29:37 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

Nikolaj knelt by the tracks as well. He had learned how to read Pokémon tracks during his first years as a Ranger, and what he saw confirmed Yvaine's observation.[break][break]

"Mostly terrorizing the locals. Eating through rubbish bins, chasing children, snatching livestock," he explained, his knees protesting as he rose to stand. "Some damage to buildings and fencing."[break][break]

His eyes followed the tracks further in the woods.[break][break]

"Oldale HQ wants them rounded up and brought back. Looks like there might be too many for the spare Pokéballs I brought, so if we can just subdue them, I'll bring my truck and we can load them in."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".nikolaj1 .text b"]font:bold 12px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Aura

Monarch
she/her
March 26th
Chroma Highlands, Almia
Demi-romantic
Bounty Hunter/Ethologist
Civilian
awards
199 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aura1
Yvaine Varron
POSTED ON May 30, 2023 10:22:11 GMT
Yvaine Varron Avatar
"Bold little bastards, I see. But with the changes in their habitats I suppose it's to be expected."

She nods in reply to Nikolaj's statement of their numbers; the tracks are many and numerous, chaotic almost, which derives they probably don't have an alpha among them to replace the adults. Chances of them to scatter upon contact were more probable, but seeing their bravado in terrorizing the town could play to their advantage, too.

"Seems like the best course of action. Are there any caves or brooks mapped nearby that could function as potential dens?" Yvaine has to ask, because despite fond memories, the layout of Oldale and its surroundings has changed too much in recent events for her to remember. "Or anywhere we could potentially lure the pack towards? Somewhere we could hide upwind."

close tab

played by

gunsmile

Kolya, Chernobog
he / him
May 10
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
heterosexual
ranger captain
ranger captain
awards
135 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolaj
Nikolaj Volosenkov
POSTED ON May 31, 2023 18:19:20 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","text"]

Nikolaj knew just the place that a pack of adolescent Mightyena could use as a den. He brought Yvaine there, a natural shelter made from fallen trees and boulders. A stream babbled nearby, bringing fresh, cold water from the Silent Icelands.[break][break]

And there they were, at least two dozen dogs. They napped and lounged while the sun was hot, looking harmless. But Nikolaj knew that come evening, when the air cooled, they'd head into town to cause more mayhem.[break][break]

He nodded at his Excadrill. "Use ROCK SLIDE to pen them in. We can't have them escaping."[break][break]

The Subterrene Pokémon uttered a quiet sound of confirmation, then raised his steel-capped claws. From all directions in their immediate vicinity, boulders came hurtling toward the Mightyena. Startled, they were too slow to act.[break][break]

Soon, a ring of stones, taller than they could climb, had formed around them.[break][break]

"Yvaine! Subdue them, quickly!" Nikolaj urged, removing two empty Pokéballs from his jacket's pockets.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Aura

Monarch
she/her
March 26th
Chroma Highlands, Almia
Demi-romantic
Bounty Hunter/Ethologist
Civilian
awards
199 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aura1
Yvaine Varron
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2023 3:33:21 GMT
Yvaine Varron Avatar
"Got it! Night Daze, Zoroark, and make it count!" she replied, jumping into the fray. Her Zoroark flashed forth beside her, having been released mere moments before their arrival at the den. A few sizes bigger than a regular Zoroark would be, its added height granted them an advantage in their current brawl.

It barred their only way of escape, snarling back at the Mightyena that bared their fangs at it, and rose to full height. Looming on its hind legs the illusionary fox crossed its arms, eyes glowing eerily as it gathered energy, and forced it towards the enclosed pack of feral canines with a powerful slam.

The shockwave barreled through them with ease, slamming most of the intended targets against the spikes erected by Nikolaj's Excadrill. Those that weren't knocked out followed suit as Yvaine's Zoroark got physical, until none remained standing.

"I'm not sure how long they'll be out for, so we better move fast. Just tell me what to do and I'll get crackin'!" Yvaine said, inspecting the KO'd pack within the Stone Edge pen from a little closer.