1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2019 9:35:05 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar
[attr="class","isratalk"]

Isra watches his screen and makes no reaction when he asks her a question she didn't want to answer. Not because she couldn't do it but because of the reason she would be hesitant to do so. Taking on such a roll was a different sort of weight on her shoulders and she already carried more than she wanted. Perhaps it was predetermined in a way that she'd confront this though, being so near Fernando.

"Despite the look you just gave me, because I am aware of that but don't feel like trying to explain the difference between how you took my question and what I meant, I would consider myself good enough."

She has to resist bringing a knee up to her chin to rest it while she decides how exactly to word her answer, to explain what she means. Because what he's asking of her is more than just yes or no for her.

"I don't like playing by league rules. I can if I have to but I would rather not and something like that... is very public." she is suddenly very aware of the fact he likely hasn't seen much of her battling, the fact that she has to actively restrain herself and her pokemon if doing so with others because she is, in no way someone that will go easy on the battle field. In truth, the woman grows bored trying.

"Standard competition rules or modified?"

[newclass=.isratalk b]color: #9ed480;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2019 6:18:27 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
"good enough, huh?"

he flashes her a knowing smile that's more snarky than anything else. there's always an insinuated taunt behind it.

"i didn't say become part of the elite four. just good enough to compete for it. i have my own opinions about certain trainers but a second opinion never hurts."

fernando continues to glance over the list of trainers and several notable ones pop up. the general profile of several gym leaders cross his screen and he scrolls through them with a quickness that show no interest in their profiles. he's met a handful and has his own acumen about them.

"a good trainer should be adequate at both. you know how i feel about that, isra."

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
Defiance in her flesh, her blood, her bones; written on her soul
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2019 6:58:47 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"Good enough." she states again. But the look and tone is coy to match his. Good enough is all she would need to make it far enough to be a good enough display, of that she's certain. "If you want more than that out of me you'll have to challenge me yourself."

Her eyes flick between him and his screen, she's still not certain about the idea. The fact he's not going to expect her to become a part of it is an improvement in her previous worries but she could rack her brain for hours with reasons not to. It makes her brow furrow at the thought. She's not against seeing what the potentials can do first hand but she'd rather seek them out outside of that. It's not a won't do, it's more that this isn't her style.

"I'll make due with whatever is thrown at me, you should know that by now. I was asking for context. It would also influence an opinion. Just because they do well in double battles doesn't mean shit for one vs one or other modified rules." she functions off a mix of information and in the moment intuition and instinct, her adaptability relies on knowing where the possibilities lie and what she can do with them.

"So I'm not an option for this elite four then?" she's almost pouty about it but its nothing more than a tease.the woman doesn't care but she can't let him get away with such a comment. "Just good enough to test the waters?”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2019 7:20:30 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
"tch. good enough is fine. you shouldn't bite off more than you can chew anyway."

that's his way of being snippy while reinforcing his ego and supposed dominance. half of it is a joke and half is a silent promise that fernando keeps to himself. as for isra's battle prowess, he's never really considered it. never had to—not in this line of work. luckily, his work schedule and future plans are much too demanding for his interest to wander. he can always explore that later, some other time.

now is a time for business.

"i only need an opinion on what you face. the data doesn't need to be comprehensive, just a general gist of what you pick up from them. being skill in any method of battling is still being skilled, no matter how limited the scope. traditional and non-traditional makes no difference, whatever the challengers preference is."

fernando smiles, taking the time to turn away from his computer to look her in the eye. "i already have people in mind and i have no doubt that the commissioner does as well. so no, not really." his eyebrows waggle in a suggestive manner that teases at leaving her out. "i don't think it'd suit you either. that and it being a day time job. the league can only afford so many accommodations, after all."

he clicks his tongue.

"but you can be a good benchmark. if you can best all four then either they're too weak or you're stronger than i thought."

and, in either case, those are bits of information that he needs to know.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2019 7:52:05 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"Guess it's a good thing I spend more of my time biting you lately then."

Two can play that game.

Isra sticks her tongue out at him, playing up her reaction. "It wouldn't suite me though, you have that right. Seems too restrictive, having everyone paying attention to you and setting arbitrary expectations. I'd rather not." a manner of playing it off like it didn't bother her. She even makes a point to turn away from him to complete the scene. Looking like a grump for no real reason at all.

There was an ounce of truth in it though, the woman already despised the part she played as it was but to have another layer added to it? One that pushed the boundaries she had set for herself already? She was one for a challenge but if it did not become necessary for her to do so she'd avoid it.

"That'll be an incomplete opinion of them but if that's all you want that's what you'll get.” now she would just have to contest with the act of doing it and forming an opinion from the frame of mind that mattered once she got there. She could be doing worse but she wasn't exactly excited either.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2019 7:52:48 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] fernando dies a little bit when she mentions their newfound skin ship. there's a reason the only time he acts upon it is outside of work. still, he takes it well and shows no obvious reaction. he's found ignoring her to work much better than agitating her into becoming upset.

"i'm glad to hear it. i expect big things from you isra." he makes no mention of who exactly she'll be facing because even fernando isn't sure just yet. there's still a lot of ground work that needs to be done and he'll require dahlia's approval above all. who's to say the commissioner's choice won't conflict with his own.

"have you tried any of the gyms yet?"

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2019 4:17:32 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

The entire idea of it seems to leave a bothersome aftertaste. She can't help but think it a waste of her time if she's not going to go all in. Par for the course from a woman who does not pend time with one foot out the door. It's all or nothing, anything else is a waste of everyone's time. It will be done because her position expects it of her and she is not yet willing to let it go. Even if things have settled from one angle they haven't from the other yet.

"Not enough to matter." she puts little merit in the gyms. Some offer worthwhile challenges but she's not so sure about some of the others. "Should I be?" probably, doesn't everybody? If nothing else it would give her something to flash that people put weight in even if she thinks it hollow.

Isra turns back to him with a question. "Will it be an elimination bracket?" she hopes not.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 21, 2019 0:12:13 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] fernando looks at her with an eyebrow raised. her question make some semblance of sense but he doesn't quite catch on. he's unsure what she's talking about and follows up for clarity. "in regards to what? what elimination bracket?" sometimes coherent thought gets lost in conversation, especially when juggling conjectures with tasks.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 21, 2019 5:08:35 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

You said compete. For the elite four. That implies challenges of one kind or another. Will it be an elimination bracket?" context clues fernando. You have them. Use them. GDi.

Her tone is even but the blankness of her face says she's not sure how to take his inability to determine what she meant on his own. Lucky for him she'll assume he's just tired as always.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2019 0:43:27 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] "against," he corrects. the impression he wants is not one laden with incorrect expectations. "we'll keep it simple. find them and beat them in whatever challenge they throw your way. claim sufficient badges prior and that'll add some weight to your claim. who knows, you may even become champion." he smiles, mockingly but ready to be pleasantly surprised.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2019 0:56:58 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"We already covered that. You were talking like there's going to be some sort of competition. I believe it was 'good enough to compete for it.' Or was that figurative?" it could have been. Sometimes things like that go over her head. "If you just want me seeking people out and battling them for an in the field opinion that changes things a bit." by the look on her face she's almost interested.

"I'll get all but one just so you can't make me champion." it's not a lie but it's not exactly serious either. She can't say she's interested in that position any more than the rest.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2019 1:03:37 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] "oh. not at all. that would make too much sense." his laugh is halfhearted and dies with the dreaded sound of his sarcasm. the logistics of such a challenge would prove disastrous but the payoff would be well worth it—if things went according to plan. "that's exactly what i want from you, isra. seek and destroy. only then will you have the privilege of battling me for the championship."

he laughs again but only because such a line remind him of their current champion.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2019 1:20:01 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

She doesn't quit seem to react. Partly because she doesn't know what to say when he's the one that was talking like he meant something else.

With no better response to give she walks to her desk grabs a sticky note and doodles a cacnea on it. When she makes it back to his desk it will find a home in the middle of his screen where he'll be sure to see it. She sees it as an appropriate enough expression of her feelings about this. "You should have started off with that."

The smile is just barely, but it's there. If there's a reference in his comment she doesn't quite seem to catch it. "Whatever nonsense that is you can keep it."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2019 3:02:46 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] the absence of an instant reaction is enough to stifle his amusement. only then does fernando realize he's no longer distressed by his previous plight. sometimes, people say arrogance is blind but that's not always a bad thing. blind to his worry, distracted by his penchant for shit talking, fernando finds solace in the company of another.

his eyes narrow at the sight of isra's eyesore of a drawing but his words don't reflect it. "thank you, isra."

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
resurgence
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2019 3:25:54 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"You're welcome." this time she smiles in full and if she catches how his mood settles she doesn't let it show.

Either way it seems things have settled and she feels the need to return to her work, not one to leave it half finished no matter how easy it would be to do so. Isra returns to her desk and finds where she left off, but before she gets back to work she looks back at fernando. Takes a moment to think before getting back up and taking her chair to his desk with her work in tow. She'll make herself at home next to him with her work in her lap. Most of which pertains to their previous conversation topic and shouldn't be ignored.

"You know, if you ever need a break from this I always have an open room."