5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
(Title Match) The Signer and the Emergent
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2024 3:39:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
At least the pressure would be off, and there wouldn't be thousands of fans watching Josh do battle against Top Champion and his Entei. After taking a hard loss at the Battle Arcade where he and some of his Pokémon were hurt for real, he knew what he was up against. He also had the experience to overcome such a foe. Despite possessing multiple legendary and mythical Pokémon, including two Zeraora, he registered none of them for the brawl with the person who first gave Josh a taste of his dream.

Though he would arrive at the arena sitting in Raikiri's saddle, the thundercat would not be doing battle with Kyle. Neither would Aleph the Type: Null, Hylda the Glastrier, Sigmund the Iron Crown, nor Tyrfing the Iron Boulder. He would be doing his challenge fully aware that he would need to overcome Entei, likely at the end of the battle.

He would need to prove that the old Kantonian saying, "legendary Pokémon must defeat legendary Pokémon," was far from the truth. A true Champion would be able to defeat even a god. The very Beast of Fire he revered down to his core.

Raising a paw, Raikiri swung open the door and walked into 's large chamber with Josh in the saddle. "Good afternoon," he solemnly greeted the Emergent. "You did well to recruit to the Elite Four." Raikiri's battle scars were still visible, a hollow where his QUICKINIUM-Z was normally located. "It's been a long road getting here. When we first met, it was over my pursuit of Raikou. For my birthday, you gave me a once in a lifetime opportunity to hop on him and push him as fast as he can go. I'll never forget it. And now, I'm one victory, and one year, away from being among Hoenn's most elite trainers: Champions."

Josh undid all six latches on his belt and took their Poké Balls into his hands. "As promised, Raikiri will not be battling you. I want to do this with my original dream team, without relying on legendary Pokémon myself." One at a time, he clicked the Balls for his team of six open. "Saber. Aslan. Bladestorm. Nitro. Twilight. Resheph. I'm sure you know them well by now." The Manectric, Pyroar, Skarmory, Gogoat, Absol, and Dragonair lined up behind him like battle-hardened soldiers, trained to unconditionally obey Josh's every command. Why?

They trusted him. And they were ready to give everything they had to win. Even their lives, like Raikiri nearly did in his violent battle with and Shuwen.

{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Aslan         Pyroar**       Good
Bladestorm    Skarmory       Good
Nitro         Gogoat**       Good
Twilight      Absol          Good
Resheph       Dragonair      Good

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Mar 13, 2024 5:36:35 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"oh, i didn't recruit him to elite four," he corrects josh. "he did that himself."

being one wasn't expected, especially since he told kyle multiple times before that he didn't want to be part of the league. true to his hypocrite nature, however, it becomes the case.

not that he was opposed to it.

"i did pad his resume to get his application easier though," he adds, referring to his admission to aqua initiative. "and i'm about to do the same for you with this match!"

with a phone on hand, he points it to a giant screen on his chamber. it shows the six pokemon he is bringing, alongside what josh's repertoire was. not that kyle got anything from it since he had his team out already.

"how about i use three pokemon against how many you want?" he offers. "doubles, of course."

while it was true that pokemon that aren't normal are usually stronger than common ones, it was also true that kyle takes things more seriously when he has his back against the wall.

the handicap wasn't to limit himself, but to force his hand.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 13, 2024 6:09:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
So it was of his own accord Navy applied for the open Elite Four seat. He was such a good fit for it, too. His combat prowess, his force of will, and most importantly, his leadership skills, were superior. It was little wonder Dewford's Gym Leader was chosen over Josh. The next line of Kyle's caught him totally off guard. "You're saying I'm AQUA material?" Josh asked, shivering at the concept of him being among Hoenn's most elite task force. After seeing what 's, 's, and 's Avatarships did to them, he had his concerns about what a potential Patron could do to him. "I tell you what. I'll apply for the next opening. But I... really want to hold onto Mauville Gym. It's my pride and joy; it's what keeps me going every day. I love being a Gym Leader so much."

Josh was confused when Kyle said he would only be using three Pokémon against Josh's squad of six. "Is that appropriate, though? Shouldn't we be using the same num--"

His eyes shifted toward the screen showing Kyle's roster. Entei was there, as expected. But that wasn't the only legendary Pokémon he had to get through. A Silvally, yet another Urshifu, Roy, and a familiar-looking Marshadow. "It's ironic that the Marshadow I traded you for Raikiri is here today. It's a shame they won't be able to battle. If you're using Pokémon like those, then six-on-three is...probably fair," he chuckled at the end.

Their characteristics were completely off the charts. Some of them even broke the limits of what was normally possible for Pokémon. It was like being on the receiving end of the first enemy to be able to break the damage cap in an Eastern RPG. His heart racing from knowing he would have to get through Entei, Josh hummed over his starting two Pokémon while the pre-match timer counted down. He surely wouldn't use Entei from the beginning, right?

"Aslan and Nitro. You two are up," he pointed toward the golden lion and golden goat, the two galloping toward the center of the large arena more than capable of accommodating a Dynamax Pokémon. The rest of Josh's pride of Pyroar -- all nine of them -- walked in behind the challenger, as well. While they would not be battling the Emergent's Pokémon, they would be there to cheer for and support Josh and his six Pokémon -- including four of the ones he had known the longest. Perhaps the presence of Nala and Rani would bring a smile to the Top Champion's face.

{PC: 2}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Saber           Manectric         Good  
Aslan           Pyroar**          Good  
Bladestorm      Skarmory          Good  
Nitro           Gogoat**          Good  
Twilight        Absol             Good  
Resheph         Dragonair         Good  

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2024 6:35:58 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"maybe, maybe not," he teases. "this match could help, but at the end of the day, there's no point if it's going to tempt you back to your old ways."

they already addressed most of josh's blunders that barred him form a title such as the elite four. aqua, a similar prestige, demanded more. this match can constitute as a practical test, but skills were only but a part of it.

personally, kyle was against it given the current circumstances. disturbing the healing process is bound to incur scars on josh's road to self-improvement.

"i'm not saying you should settle. i'm saying not to get greedy and rush the journey to character development." he chuckles as he motions a pokemon from the back of the room. "you're already doing great in addressing your faults. adding responsibilities right now is going to risk undoing all that."

kyle still thinks it's a possibility in the future.

entei comes out from the shadows, having been lying down beside the throne at the end of the chamber. it saunters up to face josh's pokemon, as if ready to face the handicap.

unbeknown to most, something lurks within its shadows.

"your move."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2024 20:29:19 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
AQUA also wasn't his decision to make. Ultimately, it was the decision of a god or of Commissioner , the one person who had the authority to repeal Josh's ban from serving that higher role. It was already a lot of work being Mauville's hero, and from what he could discern of them from his talks with Navy, the meetings weren't exactly glamorous. He got a taste of what they were like at the Gym Leader summit.

Mauville City was his domain, his playground. If he wanted to ascend to that higher seat, he would likely have to hand the reins of the Gym to a successor, as once did to him. Perhaps in a year or two, he might get that recommendation from the Commissioner. Until then, he was happy being Mauville's knight in shining armor. In months, he had transformed the city from a strategic military complex into the sports capital of the region. Pokémon racing had become Hoenn's most popular sport thanks to all the work he had done.

"And there are still plenty of faults to continue to address and remedy," Josh added as a familiar wave of PRESSURE rocked him. It would have made his hair a mess, were he not wearing his racing helmet. Even some of the Gym Leader's most well-trained Pyroar let out growls and squinted. They had become used to fields of PRESSURE from Twilight's presence, but the sheer intensity of the Beast's substantially eclipsed it.

Josh, though, did not fall like he did at the Battle Arcade. His experiences at Dewford, both on the front lines and behind enemy lines, helped him stand strong in the legendary Pokémon's wake. He was ready. If there was a state where he could defeat magic without using magic, it was this one.

He was dialed in.

"Entei first? You really are full of surprises," Josh casually and rhetorically asked. His best bet was to strengthen his own team and weaken their legendary foe the best he could. He knew from their previous battle that the blazing fast creature would be able to outspeed anything he had, with exception of one trump card he was trying to save for as late as he could. "Battle stations! Nitro, BULK UP, and Aslan, NOBLE ROAR!" the Gym Leader gave his first orders.

The gold-horned Gogoat's muscles tensed, the grass-type lowering its horns for what appeared to be some kind of ramming attack to come. Josh's entire pride smiled as their leader, Aslan, let out a prideful roar that might give the Beast before them some pause. Even the slightest bit of hesitation would be one the challenger would pounce upon, like a big cat waiting in the prairie grass for unsuspecting prey.

{PC: 3}

Nitro           Gogoat**          Good  

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 2:00:15 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"this is a double battle, devlin," kyle reminds him. "you've seen my team."

entei charges in, large paws battering against the ground. the roar is enough to force him to glance away from its target to the pyroar, killing the momentum, but the charge remains.

from underneath the entei, a shadow slips towards the gogoat. marshadow appears from behind it, hitting the pokemon with spectral thief. it steals the boosts before using it as a spring board, hopping towards the entei's back when it tackles the grass-type with sacred fire coating its fur.

"entei isn't the only surprise you'll face in this match."

despite attempts to keep a straight face, the slightest smile appears on his expression.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 3:21:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was a double battle, yes. Josh wasn't overly familiar with Marshadow; he had caught one out of desperation for survival against the Chien-Pao spirit that roamed the Border. That was why the SPECTRAL THIEF took him totally by surprise. As both it and the SACRED FIRE raced toward the grass-type, the challenger had to make a split second decision; with their power enhanced, even the sturdy Gogoat would fall in a single blow. Josh hurled his TERA ORB toward Nitro, a pyramid of Terastal crystals mitigating the heat from the white flames somewhat. The Gogoat shattered the cocoon from within, its crystallized body glowing eighteen different colors.

The STELLAR TERA TYPE.

"Oh, is that the Marshadow I traded you for Raikiri?" Josh asked. "It's only fitting that I have to get through them, too."

While the grass-type was no longer BURNED from the purifying flames, his bright leaves were still wilting from the PRESSURE and heat. "Nitro, EARTHQUAKE! Aslan, leap out of the way!" With a powerful flex of his muscles, the golden lion BOUNCED skyward, his eyes on the Marshadow that fancied itself the Knight of Fire by sitting on Entei's back. With the Pyroar safely in the air, the worn-out, desperate Gogoat slammed his hooves into the ground with all the might he had left, a shockwave rippling outward and putting the ghost-type rider's balance to the test.

{PC: 4}

Nitro
           Gogoat**          Critical

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 3:55:19 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
marshadow wasn't used for the sake of the statement. coincidence works in the most surprising way that parallels are formed without a deliberate action towards it.

"i had to use it. your style's simple, but unique. i think this is the only other way to give you the kyle champion assessment experience."

it was cryptic, but words make sense within the next few seconds.

entei attempts to soften the blow of the earthquake with a bulldoze of its own, matching the shakes of the ground with his own. just as the pokemon was finding difficulty in moving, the marshadow finds a way to assist it.

actions of the rider can easily be picked out from an expert's eyes. the marshadow adjusts the entei's movements, assisting it in a way a jockey would to force its ride to a direction. amid the fatigue from withstanding earthquake's rumbles, the entei would find its way to the only pokemon in the field.

marshadow smacks the gogoat with its own assurance in a clumsy drive-by.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 4:27:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Simple? Yes. Unique? Yes. Effective? Hell yes. It was the reason Josh's Gym was the speed Gym. There was no one in Hoenn faster. Except and her Rayquaza. He wanted another chance to go flying on the emerald dragon, particularly since he had acquired much faster Pokémon now. Being on that rollercoaster of a dragon without vomiting would show just how much he as a trainer had improved. It was a pipe dream, though, what with their relationship with one another still being a bit rocky after the Eris incident.

"I'm just happy to see it's seeing screen time, what with your bond to your Patron and all the other gods that follow you," Josh answered as the Ground-type shockwaves bounced off one another, nullifying much of each others' attacks. Even so, the Gogoat was simply too weak to remain standing for long. Nitro galloped toward Entei in a desperation attempt at a HORN LEECH, but any stamina he could regain was immediately sapped by both the legendary's PRESSURE and the swaying ground; the Marshadow's ASSURANCE was insult to injury.

"Not to say we don't have tricks up our own sleeve, too. Nitro mastering Steller Terastallization is just one of them."

Already down one of his best Pokémon against the Beast, Josh was quickly running out of options to handle the Johtonian deity that had been pitted against him. Making one of the many split second decisions he was known for, he pointed for Resheph to zip toward Entei. A veil spread from her AQUA TAIL to cover most of her body, flinging it at the Beast like a whip made of water... right as Aslan came crashing down toward Marshadow in an effort to separate rider from legendary steed.

{PC: 5}

Nitro           Gogoat**          KO

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2024 9:48:52 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the two pokemon separate with josh's gambit. it was a risky move since it opens the challenger's pokemon up for a counter attack, but failure wasn't on the mauville gym leader's agenda today.

smoke fizzles from the sacred fire when it comes into contact with the aqua tail, giving the pyroar room to isolate the marshadow. with the way josh battles, fighting as separate 1v1s would be a more comfortable angle for him, he guesses.

"stone edge!"

the command wasn't for his entei, but for his marshadow.

the volcano pokemon roars and stomps his feet, summoning spikes of earth and throwing the dragonair up on him away.

the blow left an impact on the pokemon as the marshadow was brought to its knees. hearing the command, marshadow slams the ground with its fist and copycats its partner. with its own set of jagged rocks, it attempts to throw away the fire-type from it.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2024 15:00:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The speed Josh remembered was still there. No, perhaps even greater. Even with his eyes trained for it, the divine Beast's STONE EDGE attack looked like it was playing in fast-forward. It was only the previous NOBLE ROAR and the veil of water softening the blow that let Resheph withstand the CRITICAL HIT. Aslan, too, owed his voice to his survival in the match. Were it not for the state-of-the-art safety systems in place, presumably vastly improved from the ones at his Battle Arcade, he did not have the death of his Pokémon to fear.

Were they sparring in the wilds, he would have withdrawn Aslan by now out of fear of a metaphorical death save failure.

It was a place Josh would have been comfortable to be in against any other opponent. He had the initiative, and Resheph's Extreme Speed was a potent weapon against any attack that took more than a split second to prepare. All that advantage had been wiped out by the Beast's very presence. From how well Josh knew Kyle's Beasts, he knew they were all equipped with Extreme Speed, as well.

It felt like he was fighting not , but himself.

"Aslan! Resheph! You've got this! Just like you did in that last close Gym match we had two weeks ago!" he cheered, instilling both of them with a second wind. While it wasn't much of one, it was enough to get one last set of attacks off. "EXTREME SPEED, Resheph!" The Dragonair, screeching, vanished in a blur of raw speed that perhaps only the two combatants and had the sense to detect. Whether it would connect or not depended almost entirely on Kyle's reaction time. If he rode Entei regularly, that reaction time had to be stellar.

What foresight from the Top Champion, Josh thought as the STONE EDGE hurled Aslan away, out of range of a deadly CRUNCH attack. He doubted the lion would have time to get back in melee range again, instead opting for the use of FLAMETHROWER. If Entei wasn't too distracted with the Dragonair, he might not be able to intercept, landing a key blow on the Pokémon that once mimicked him!

{PC: 6}

Aslan   
       Pyroar**          Poor  
Resheph         Dragonair         Fair 

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2024 15:21:01 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the strike from the dragonair hits entei. it responds with a stare that gives off pressure before it brushes off the move and dashes past it.

"sha-"

before he can finish his command, the entei had already reached the pyroar, tackling it from behind with extreme speed while the marshadow follows through with its shadow sneak, getting through its legs instead.

the marshadow collapses with its burns, having powered through the flames of the pyroar for its last attack. it quickly gets recalled to its ball, while entei stands tall.

moves have worn it down, but the volcano pokemon's pride doesn't allow it to look weak.

"splitting the two of them was the right choice, then." of course josh knew the best way to keep the rider on the ground. "you still have to go through two more though."

he hasn't released his last pokemon to replace marshadow. not yet, at least.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2024 15:40:38 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
So the Champion wasn't going after Resheph at all; he must have recognized the exertion such a burst of speed would put on Resheph. She was exhausted amidst the PRESSURE, unable to intercept Entei's attack as she watched Aslan fall. It seemed the Marshadow had fallen, as well; a tricky foe, indeed. Kyle wasn't replacing his Pokémon, though; was he waiting for Josh? Both their time to do so was running out. With a beam of red light encompassing the Pyroar as his pride purred and growled, conveying a job well done, Josh withdrew the golden lion.

If he couldn't overcome Entei with speed, then he needed to do it with raw power.

"Twilight, you're on!" Josh pointed toward Entei, the Absol bounding onto the battle court in a mesmerizing SWORDS DANCE. Her precise, deliberate steps were as emotional as she had ever been. Was she starting to at last show more of her personality after all this time? One thing was clear from the glare on her face: she was going all-out like her life depended on it. She would not disappoint Josh.

Why wasn't he sending out another Pokémon yet, even still? Josh wasn't going to say no; if the Top Champion needed this much time to ponder a choice. "Mount and rider as one are more powerful than the sum of their parts," was the young man's retort. Verily, he had shown a greater understanding of his own Gym's precepts than during their last meeting on a battle court.

{PC: 7}

Aslan           Pyroar**          KO  
Resheph         Dragonair         Fair 

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2024 15:52:59 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
between the two, one proves to be much more difficult opponent. kyle had his own target in mind, but he trusts in entei to make a decision on his own.

"and how does it feel-"

entei acts once more before kyle can finish his monologue. his legs carry him from one side of the arena to the other, zooming with josh's favorite move once more: extreme speed.

"-to be on the other end of the equation-"

having seen it use a water-type move, the entei deems the dragonair to be the one to look out for and becomes the target of its attack. kyle would have chosen it for a chance of carrying debilitating moves instead, but the results were similar.

"-when you're not facing the problem alone."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2024 16:09:11 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Even still, Kyle wouldn't send out another Pokémon. His Entei was alone. The Johtonian god of fire, while not possessing the raw speed a Raikou did, was still well beyond what Resheph was capable of. A hot wind blew in his face, Josh picking up and clutching his favorite Raikou plush before it could be whisked away. It was well-worn, but it meant a lot to him. He couldn't not bring his stress-reliever to such an important match. The rainbow feather was still notched between its nimbus-like mane and its faceplate, catching a glint of reflected light.

Yet another CRITICAL HIT was too much for the Dragonair to withstand. What power. In his mind, though, if he couldn't take down a legendary Pokémon without using one, he didn't deserve to be a Champion. Even through all this punishment, he couldn't detect any signs of weakness.

"Battling your Entei gives me vibes of something I've wished I could do for ages: battle myself. Feel what it's like to be on the receiving end of such incredible speed. And now, I'm getting my wish. I understand now, Kyle. And you shall see that understanding."

The Gym Leader pointed at Bladestorm to enter the battleground, Josh saving his Manectric for last. He wouldn't have it any other way: his most loyal Pokémon, to be used in what would assuredly be a climactic finish. "TAILWIND, Bladestorm!" the Gym Leader ordered. With a metallic squawk, the wind Entei's charge had generated reversed, putting the Leader in his element once more and making the aggressive NIGHT SLASH even harder to evade. With a stroke of SUPER LUCK, perhaps the Absol would find a weakness within the fire-type deity!

{PC: 8}

Aslan           Pyroar**          KO  
Resheph         Dragonair         KO