Zac Ramsay
Tip Top Trainer Talks - Ethel Irving [s]
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2021 3:18:12 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 Ethel Irving
lilycove | social

THEME

Zac and Ethel sat across from one another in the fancy Lilycove Cafe. The little brunch spot was nestled between a busy Pelipper Post Office and an upmarket handbag store, and the back deck looked out over the bay. Between them was a well set low table covered in sweet snacks and steaming chai tea.
   Zac was surprised that the cafe had let him back in, but he had promised to keep all his Pokemon inside their balls, and was determined to give this 'formal' interview thing one last try. Hell, if it didn't work then they could just go diving or something.
    "Thanks for comin' to have a chat with me Ethel." Zac said, taking a sip of his tea while Devin, his cameraman, adjusted the settings on the tripod and lined up the shot. "I hope I didn't put you out with the choice of cafe. I only know one good place in town." he said with a laugh.

"How about you? Where do you go in town to have a quiet moment to yourself?"

NOTES:
TAG:

close tab

played by

Voltolos

Amelia Fisher
She, her
October 3
Icirrus City
Bisexual
None yet
Cadet
17 height
17 height
Expectations were like fine pottery. The harder you held them, the more likely they were to crack.
awards
42 posts
Ethel Irving DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ethel
Ethel Irving
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 21:59:53 GMT
Ethel Irving Avatar

Oh, dear Arceus. Why was she even here?

It was impossible to say no to this guy Zac, though. He was just so nice and earnest and upbeat, that she'd agreed to his "interview" without a second thought. 

Well, now she was certainly having second thoughts, especially once she'd realized that there would be a camera. Of course there would be a camera. This was an interview. She wasn't stupid, and she really should have thought of that before...

Oh well. It was too late to do anything about that now. So, she'd dyed her hair reddish blonde rather than the golden blonde she normally sported, and piled it up into a bun as opposed to letting it fall freely down her back. Long hair was a truly versatile method of disguise.

"This place is perfect," said Ethel, smiling. She'd have to pretend she knew anything about the place, now. Ugh, what was it called again? Jumpluff's Java, or something? No, that didn't sound right. Hopefully the topic wouldn't come up again.

"That's a good question," she noted, thinking for a second.

"I like to visit libraries, often. If they allow for my Pokemon, then that's an added bonus. The atmosphere of a library is just nice and calm, even if I don't always go there to read something."

Rally peeked his head out from Ethel's bag, the Minun's eyes and long floppy blue ears visible. Ethel smiled.

"This is Rally," said Ethel. "He looks cute, but he can be a little rascal."

Rally squeaked in indignation, and Ethel laughed quietly.

close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
Pokemon Educator/Vlogger/Biome Enthusiast
See ya later, Feraligatr!
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2021 16:21:04 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 Ethel Irving
lilycove | social

THEME

"The library! I've never gotten on well with my local library. Too fond of taking their books out into the field," Zac admitted. "And like you said, it's always an issue finding ones that are okay with Pokemon."
    A little yellow head poked out of Ethel's bag, and a long blue ear popped into view. 
"This is Rally," said Ethel. "He looks cute, but he can be a little rascal."
    "Oh i'm sure!" Said Zac. He barely resisted the urge to kneel down and get in close to the adorable little Pokemon. Zac thought about sending out his own Pokemon, but when he looked around one of the waiters was glaring at him from behind the counter. Probably the one who had to clean up last time...
"There's just something about electric types, I find," Zac said, turning back to Ethel. "Maybe it's all that built up energy inside them. They just can't help but cause mischief." Zac grinned at the little Minum and craned to get a better look into the bag.

"Where did you catch him, by the way? Was he your first?"

NOTES:
TAG:

close tab

played by

Voltolos

Amelia Fisher
She, her
October 3
Icirrus City
Bisexual
None yet
Cadet
17 height
17 height
Expectations were like fine pottery. The harder you held them, the more likely they were to crack.
awards
42 posts
Ethel Irving DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ethel
Ethel Irving
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2021 0:31:37 GMT
Ethel Irving Avatar

Ethel caught someone looking at them as they sat and talked about Rally. The waiter glowered at them, as if they were doing something terribly wrong by being here.

Ethel had only been here a couple of times before, and she'd always been relatively quiet. Zac, though, was more enthusiastic, so it wasn't much of a stretch to imagine...

"Hm, is there some history between you and this cafe?" she asked. "You seem... familiar to this place."

Anyways, there were other topics to cover that were more pressing. When Zac addressed Rally and mentioned that electric types must have had pent-up energy, she pursed her lips, and thought a little before replying.

"I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it," she began, "but I do have to object to that. This instance is relatively harmless, but firstly, it's not true. I have a Vikavolt as well, who's a lot more calm and collected. And, second of all, a stretch of that same logic is what allows people to say that all dark types are evil, or that all poison types are sneaky and underhanded. And that leads to abuse."

She shook her head. "I'm sorry for being a downer. I know you had good intentions, but...

"And I actually caught Rally when exploring Mauville's power plant! It's a great place to find electric types, and it's interesting to me that Pokemon like to settle in manmade places such as that."

close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2021 5:15:58 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 Ethel Irving
lilycove | social

THEME

"Yeah there's a bit of history. last time I came here was for an interview with . We may have caused a bit of a mess by letting our Pokemon out in the cafe. Not damage mind you..." he looked over at the waiter, who looked away and busied himself with cleaning the counter. "I didn't quite realise the extent of my first impression," Zac said with a chuckle. 
    "I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but I do have to object to that. This instance is relatively harmless, but firstly, it's not true. I have a Vikavolt as well, who's a lot more calm and collected. And, second of all, a stretch of that same logic is what allows people to say that all dark types are evil, or that all poison types are sneaky and underhanded. And that leads to abuse."
    Zac scratched at his beard, thinking. He hadn't expected the conversation to turn to ethics so quickly, but it was a welcome change from small talk. "You're right," he conceded. "I'm playing into a harmless stereotype, but one that perpetuates negative associations between type and personality. With all the Poipole controversy lately, the last thing we need is to spread the thought that all Pokemon of a type are similar. It reinforces the fallacy that all members of a species are the same. Pokemon are individuals, and we need to remember that."
    "Were you involved in the recent Poipole and Naganadel incidents?" Zac asked.
    The conversation shifted back to Rally, and Ethel mentioned catching him in the power plant. "It's interesting to me that Pokemon like to settle in manmade places such as that."
"Urban influence of Pokemon development and habits is such a rich subject," Zac agreed "and one that needs more resources devoted to it. There are plenty of Pokemon that have adapted to human-dense locations, and many more that inhabit places where humans have irreversibly altered the environment, such as New Mauville." Zac refilled his own cup of tea, and offered more to Ethel.
    "As humans cities encroach on nature, we are seeing just how adaptable these little guys can be. To me, it's impressive and worrying. Just because a Minum can stand to live in an abandoned power plant instead of a field, doesn't mean they should have to."
    "What are your thoughts on that?"

NOTES:
TAG:

close tab

played by

Voltolos

Amelia Fisher
She, her
October 3
Icirrus City
Bisexual
None yet
Cadet
17 height
17 height
awards
42 posts
Ethel Irving DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ethel
Ethel Irving
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2021 2:01:15 GMT
Ethel Irving Avatar

Ethel smiled at the anecdote that Zac provided, but didn't comment otherwise. It was more or less what she'd expected from what he'd said about bringing his Pokemon to libraries, and from the way that waiter was eyeing them. Plus, the conversation was moving quickly. More quickly than she'd expected when she'd expected this invitation.

She nodded at Zac's owning up to his slip-up. "That's exactly what I mean," she said. "It's hard to change your mind on things like this, especially when it's sometimes not something people see as bad at all. But it's still important that people take steps to change, and the first step is recognizing it when it happens." She smiled at him. "Thank you for taking that step, incidentally."

And then the interview immediately went to shit.

No, it wasn't that bad. She was overreacting. After all, it wasn't a pointed question, and the way Zac had phrased it, there was a lot of wiggle room for her to escape saying the whole truth.

On the outside, she didn't show any of this, her face schooled into a practiced expression of solemnity. "Who wasn't involved? I haven't encountered a Poipole or Naganadel myself, but the events that led up to their... introduction to Hoenn have colored everyone's view of them-- and the whole situation-- badly. And that's why what I mentioned earlier is so hard to achieve. It isn't easy to forget a terrible thing you saw someone do when someone else, who might look and act the exact same, is right in front of you."

The other topic was much lighter, if still serious, and Ethel responded animatedly. Of course she did. This was a line of discussion that had been absolutely trained into her, even if she had since realized that she had been extreme.

"This is important to think about, as well. Pokemon can live in manmade places, and the spread of urban landscapes mean that many have turned to doing so. Similarly, humans can live in the wilderness, and surely, if our cities and towns were getting overrun by forest or desert, a few of us would be forced to turn to doing so as well. That doesn't mean that we should, or that Pokemon should. As urbanization continues, we should be careful to plan for Pokemon and their habitats as we continue to build. It's certainly not impossible," she added. "There have been places in the world where humans and wild Pokemon live in harmony. Fortree City, here on Hoenn's own soil, is an example of how we can build, and leave wild habitats intact."

close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2021 3:50:07 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 Ethel Irving
Jumpluff's Java | social

THEME

Ethel had been a fantastic pick. It wasn't often Zac got to talk about topics so close to his heart. They had moved on from type-bias to urban encroachment that he hadn't had time to really explore the ideas therein. Zac circled back to pick her brain.
    Good conversation is like parallel parking. It requires skill, practice, it's rarely straight forward, and if you fuck it up everyone will point and laugh. 
    "I realize my example of Poipole was a bit odd, seeing as it's not quite a Pokemon, as we know it. They're little aliens, aren't they?" Zac looked around and, when he saw that the waiter was gone, sent out a Minior. It was the size of a soccer ball, and floated down into his lap, where he scratched its asteroid shell absently. "Not saying everything from outer-space is evil, obviously. But should we tar everything that comes through those Ultra Wormholes with the same brush? Because it certainly seems like they're all merciless and destructive."
    Minior cracked open, revealing a violet core that glowed with whispering, interstellar light. "I wanna see the good in everything, Ethel, but Poipole, the, uh, space invaders, and the Ultra Beasts. To my knowledge they've all been vicious cannibals!" 

A waiter walked by, and Zac tapped his Minior. Its shell sealed, hiding the gorgeous, galactic glow. "I know we just discussed the dangers of talking generally, but everything I've seen on the news or heard from those involved in the Three Day War told me that unless they're chemically altered they are incompatible with life on our planet. Do you think they're all like that? How should we approach them?"

NOTES:
TAG:

close tab

played by

Voltolos

Amelia Fisher
She, her
October 3
Icirrus City
Bisexual
None yet
Cadet
17 height
17 height
awards
42 posts
Ethel Irving DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ethel
Ethel Irving
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2021 2:43:23 GMT
Ethel Irving Avatar

Unsurprisingly, the topic of the alien invasion was not easy to escape. It was on everyone's mind, and Ethel had demostrated her willingness to talk about what might have been too heavy of a topic for other people featured on Zac's show, so it made sense that he'd want to stay on it.

Ethel's lip quirked in amusement when Zac looked around furtively before quietly releasing his Minior. His rhetorical questions, however, remained serious, befitting the topic of discussion.

When he was done, Ethel shrugged. "Honestly, I won't pretend to be an expert on the Ultra Beasts, the Megalopolans, or the events of the war." This was not as true as she implied. She'd been reading up recently, finding out as much as she could and keeping around the important details. After all, this was a monumental occurrence no matter who you were, what your passion was, or anything else, because aliens had invaded Hoenn. Intelligent aliens existed, and they wanted to eat humans.

She looked down at her neatly folded hands, pensive. "I'm not saying that we should embrace the Ultra Beasts and the Megalopolans with open arms. Arceus knows they've given us little reason to. However... we've learned from these events that there are aliens with an interest in Earth, and that means there may be more, somewhere out there. And if they come here and see a world of people who are hostile to aliens because of their prior experiences..."

Here she shrugged again. There were a lot of thoughts whirling around in her head, and she had to think carefully about which she wanted to put on the table. "I think, according to the League-- please, correct me if I'm mistaken-- the Poipole that have been subjected to the antidote, as well as other Ultra Beasts that have spent longer periods of time on Earth, have become more manageable over time, and they start to behave more or less like any other Pokemon. I think we can integrate these newcomers into our society. It just takes patience and effort, like many things of worth."

The Megalopolans themselves were a much more difficult topic to argue this perspective with, so she figured she'd let Zac pick up the conversation on that topic if he wanted to. Ethel didn't know just how deep in Zac was willing to go with weighty and controversial topics, but she didn't want to make him uncomfortable, so she erred on the side of caution.

Part of her still couldn't believe it. Here she was, talking about aliens on Earth with a straight face. Who would have thought?

close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 1:45:09 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 Ethel Irving
Jumpluff's Java | social

THEME

"And if they come here and see a world of people who are hostile to aliens because of their prior experiences..." 
"...Then it wouldn't be the aliens who are misrepresented, but us." Zac finished for her. "I've gotta say that this idea of inaccurate portrayal is seeping into everything." Zac scratched at the Minior in his lap as Ethel continued.
"[...]I think we can integrate these newcomers into our society. It just takes patience and effort, like many things of worth." she said. 
    "Yeah, I've seen a few people with antidoted Poipole and the little guys are fine. However, I'm not sure how much I can trust a hostile force that needs to be heavily medicated to interact with society."
    "Is it okay to fundamentally alter the chemical balance of a creature so that it fits into our perception of normal?"
Zac was interested in Ethel's answer, as there were ramifications either way. If the answer was no, then it was an admission that sometimes groups just cannot get along. If the answer was yes, then it meant that peace in this case came at the price of domination, and of losing oneself. 
"What you said about acclimation is far more interesting." Zac said, pulling at a connected thread of conversation. "What do you think it is about our world that calms the raging beasts, so to speak?"

NOTES:
TAG
:

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,810 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON May 2, 2021 1:28:42 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: