thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Jan 22, 2021 14:32:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin strides into the laboratory with confidence, looking the part of a scientist with his lab coat and glasses. A pokeball is held loosely in his left hand; he tosses it to when he enters.

"Congratulations on the promotion."

Inside, the newly appointed head scientist would find a basic-model Porygon.

The Quinn family does not practice gifting. It was who had taught Gavin the value of entrusting a Pokemon to someone you care about. His Lycanroc was one of his most prized companions.

"Down to business, then." Gavin lifts a pokeball from his belt and slots it into a device on one of their testing chambers. At the press of a button, it fires a disgruntled shadow Corviknight into the fortified chamber. Sedative gas begins to pour in from above. "Your skills are focused on the science of technology, but Rocket expects versatility. I need your assistance on a project I've been working on."

There's a soft thud as the Corviknight slumps against the glass, unconscious. Once the gas is cleared from the chamber, Gavin presses a button to open it and gain access to the slumbering bird. Beside it, he releases a silver Corviknight who crows softly and peers down at the pair of scientists.

"We have limited understanding of how shadow Pokemon are created, even those artificial ones Rocket makes themselves. I want that changed."
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,278 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2021 9:05:10 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

It was the first time she’d seen Cillian since. Having a strong feeling that he’d had something to do with it, she smiled at him. It would look like a smile to a boss, though, to any of the other workers out of earshot in the lab who looked over at the interaction between their superiors.

She was surprised at the toss, but caught it anyways. The blank stare she regarded it with for a moment was teeming with emotion. It was of four gifts she’d ever been given in her life. She wondered silently if it was a gift from him, or one from the organization. She expanded the pokeball in her hand and then clicked it open. In the light, she saw the shape and grinned. It was perhaps the brightest, most genuine smile Cillian could possibly have remembered ever seeing on her usually guarded face.

A barely detectable trace of something oddly feverish and volatile flashed through her eyes as well, if only for a moment, and it would be equally as unfamiliar if he caught it.

“Thank you.” She said with a nod, trying to take it with a stride of grace, though he knew what a big deal it was—and the words were just for show. They didn’t need them.

She watched the great bird and the darkness that seemed to exude from it. It looked so distraught, but there was something about it that reduced her empathy, and replaced it with the same sick, unobstructed curiosity that was required of someone in this type of work. It also looked different and powerful. She sort of energy was this? It was darker than dark. This was hell spawn.

“I’m here to do whatever I can to help.” Her eyes didn’t stray from the birds, brain craving what would happen next.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2021 21:30:01 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
There is a hidden warmth in whatever passes between the siblings, invisible to anyone else who happens to spy their interaction. He gives a curt nod in acceptance of her thanks, and the smile could be interpreted as reactionary — it is who would know the rarity of such a smile.

So, too, does he recognize it in her... and the look that comes after, both foreign. In the latter, he sees a reflection of himself.

"Have you ever drawn samples from Pokemon before?"

Gavin approaches the silver Corviknight with syringe in hand. There was no need to sedate the obedient creature; though it crows softly in discomfort as the needle slides beneath its steel feathers and punctures skin, it does not fight him.

The underboss leans close to the bird and murmurs something unintelligible, tone apologetic, before he plucks one of Corviknight's wing feathers. He holds the silver specimen up to the light, marveling it, before gesturing to the shadow Corviknight he'd left for Lulu to handle.

"It shows a unique ability to shed its feathers I've not seen from this one."

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,278 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2021 23:52:16 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

“No.” Lulu had been hired in and then promoted for different purposes. The fact was that her knowledge of Pokemon themselves was still lacking. Thankfully, Gavin was close enough that it didn’t matter. Lulu was a problem-solver at heart, and a quick learner. A valuable player on any field. Together, the Quinns were an unstoppable force of brainpower. Just because Gavin filled certain shoes did not mean he was out of place with a different hat. He belonged in the lab as much as any other scientist, if not more so.

The miserable looking bird held her attention only until it was stolen by a gleaming feather, and she wondered about the qualities of the metal. “Meaning it can produce steel constantly.” For free. For profit, even. For projects.

“Can you make a couple for me?” It was sort of a joke, rhetorical, and quickly followed up. “So where does it come in? Comparing results of one unique bird with another one we don’t know so much about?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2021 8:17:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Like this. Watch."

With steady hands, he demonstrates the process on his cooperative Corviknight. When he is done, marveling at the silver feather in the light, he gives a regretful shake of his head.

"Not constantly, per se. Its feathers take time to regrow, though they do appear to do so at an accelerated rate." A soft huff passes his lips. "I wish I could create more of them. If only shadow Pokemon were better understood... to answer your question, that's exactly why we're doing this."

After quickly labelling the samples in small, neat print, he refrigerates them and turns back to .

"Few know the formula for Rocket's shadow machine. Those few are unable to be contacted, for one reason or another." He regrets that, at the time, his clearance had not allowed him access. He had not expected Cadis to fall ill, or he might have asked for the formula before it was too late. "I want to fix that. Recreate it, or else create a new strain of the toxin. Pull one of its feathers, as well," he says, of the shadowed Corviknight, "but do be gentle."
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,278 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Jan 29, 2021 22:52:33 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Cogs turned with curiosity behind her red lenses. She craned her head a bit to the right around his shoulder while maintaining a professional distance and watching the work of his hand carefully.

A smirk crossed her face. “You know, maybe we will get clones soon. And your toxin.” She leaned in just a hair closer, breaking that ‘professional’ boundary perhaps for just a moment. “I’ve been tracking one of Devon’s old top biotechnologists.” It would be mere days before she dropped in on to recruit him. She looked at the shadow bird. “Fired for ethical reasons.” Cillian could perhaps empathize with that struggle. It also made Mr. Xanders all the more desirable for their organization. Rocket sustained its power on the corrupt.

She settled an arm gently over the massive, unconscious bird. “Not that I’d ever let anyone completely steal away the fun from me.” Fun. That’s what this was. There was an ominous feeling about the creature in her hands. She reached within its mane of metal, and her eyes raised to Cillian challengingly a moment, her smirk remaining. “I’ve always wanted to work on a project together.” Head scientist to Underboss scientist, a desire for collaboration, nothing to see here. She looked positively wry.

A shining black feather was pulled from the neck of the massive bird. She held it up to the light, examining it. “What now?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2021 6:25:10 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's gaze glints dangerously at the mention of . If his sister spoke highly of someone, it meant only good things. His lips purse. Ethical reasons.

"Bring him in, if you can." It's not an order. Lulu was head scientist, not a recruiter, and Gavin wouldn't see her take an unnecessary risk. If she believed in this man, however... "Tell him that Rocket has no such qualms."

Corviknight stirs beneath 's touch as her fingers slide beneath its metal to touch the surprisingly warm, vulnerable flesh beneath. Muscles tense reflexively as the feather is plucked, but the sedative is a powerful one and the shadow Pokemon's slumber persists.

Gavin's smile grows to match the wicked gleam in his eyes. "I look forward to it."

His own feather is sealed within a bag which he labels, then turns it to his sister so that she might replicate the style. C-001FE. A feather plucked from the first Corviknight. "Just add an S in front, to tell them apart. You'll draw the blood, next; we've got to refrigerate it as soon as it's taken, to preserve the quality of the sample."

Having demonstrated the process earlier, with his own bird, he gestures to the empty syringes and vials set aside for their task.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,278 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2021 21:51:27 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

His sister nodded. While he may not have meant them these as orders, it was the way she took his words. It also didn’t offend her.

A chill crept over her skin underneath well-covering black clothes. The flesh and muscle she found beneath her hands was, for some reason, unexpected, and it all moved as it suddenly threatened awake. Lulu wasn’t quite sure if she felt excited or terrified.

Though she’d been partially joking about the project, the truth in her previous statement was yanked through the window of her stare at his response. Her smile warmed genuinely for a moment, despite the almost psychotic nature that his took on.

A hand reached for a plastic bag and she penned its label with a crooked left hand ‘SC-001FE’.

She’d never drawn blood before. Now was her chance, on a shadow Corviknight of all things. Not something she’d ever thought she’d be doing.

It took a couple of blind sticks. Each time, she inwardly prayed for survival. Eventually, blood flowed up the tube and into the first vial, then the next, then the next… Eventually, they were bagged. On the bag, she took a guess. ‘SC-001BL’ “This right?” She showed it to him before proceeding to refrigerate.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2021 8:28:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Perfect," Gavin confirms.

"Don't worry, I've saved you the trouble of taking stool samples." He flashes a cheeky grin, though he isn't joking. They were stored separate from the blood, and he gestures to the unit that contained them. He takes a swab from inside each bird's beak, the label's end reading 'SA' for 'saliva'. With the samples carefully arranged and stored, Gavin turns his attention to the lab itself.

"Though I could chance the analysis myself, I don't want to take unnecessary risks." He wanted this done right, his own pride aside. He was out of practice in the labs thanks to his duties as underboss, and it was time to delegate. "Call in one of the lab techs to run the analysis. This project priority, unless there's something Walsh or need."
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,278 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2021 23:55:51 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Lulu shook her head at him with a smirk. “Thanks.” Really. She was just coming around to being a “pokemon person”. For now, she drew the line at handling shit. That sounded like a grunt work to her.

She nodded at him. Since moving into the lab, she’d been made more aware of the powerful, capable minds at their disposal—and how much of that knowledge far extended past her own in so many areas.

She nodded at what sounded even more like an order than before. Where most might have returned with a 'yes, sir', she merely acknowledged with a “Got it.” Her eyes lingered on the shadow pokemon. “I’m really curious about that machine.” She wanted to look at its guts, really. Figure out the mechanics and processes.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2021 19:06:50 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin frowns, noting the language.

"They aren't machines," he says, resting a hand on the bird's chest and feeling it rise and fall with shallow breaths. "They're biological in nature, so far as we've been able to tell. At least, all of mine are." He shrugs. "Perhaps there might be a difference in the genetic structure of something like Metagross, or Porygon — this one, though, it's flesh and blood."

He gestures to the fridge where they'd stored the samples; inside, vials of Corviknight's blood were as red as any other.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,278 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2021 19:17:11 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Lulu blinked at him. He’d misunderstood. A small smile grew on her features as she allowed him to continue. “That’s not what I meant.” But… Porygon. That sounded cool.

“I meant the machine that made it like this.” Her eyes flashed at him. That’s what I’m interested in.”

He could keep his birds. She didn’t care much about the product. She wanted to know about the source, and how she could utilize its technology. That’s where the real power was.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2021 19:30:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
His frown deepens with confusion, brow furrowing, but a small smile tugs at the edge of his lips when she clarifies. It reminds him of when they were kids, always confusing one another with their particular trains of thought.

"Ah, well, I'd imagine you've got the clearance to have a look at it, now. I've seen it... not that I know much of its inner workings. That's kind of the point of all this."

He retracts his hand from the bird and gently taps it with a pokeball, returning it to stasis. The silver bird remains, its sharp beak mere inches from Gavin's face as its beady eyes train on the gestures of his hands.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,278 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Feb 21, 2021 22:44:22 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

This hadn’t yet occurred to her. “Guess so.” she agreed, excitement lingering in her eyes. Momentarily, her thoughts stayed on that.

Then, she realized something. “I haven’t even seen a shadow pokemon in action yet.” she thought back, and then a look of suggestion passed across her face. “I haven’t seen that shadow lugia of yours since you got it. Back right after I joined.” A thin brow raised at him.

“Bet you’ve collected more fun things since then.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
science fiction [c]
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 16:15:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
isn't wrong; few have seen shadow Lugia since its acquisition. Those who have asked, those who Gavin has trusted to heed caution, have witnessed its terrifying majesty in private.

"You've never asked," he says simply, and shrugs. "It's not as if I can use it as casually as I'd use my Corviknight."

A legendary, even uncorrupt, would provoke questions. Lugia's presence in the public eye could not be permitted, no matter how much Gavin might wish to let it have free roam of the oceans it had once called home.

"Would you like to see it?" he wonders. "Or any of my others?"

She's correct in assuming he's collected many fun things.