294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 1, 2021 7:14:04 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

The Mandibuzz landed on the roof of the car, causing it to bounce a little, and screeched back at the Braviary. Combined, the sound was almost painful, echoing all the way down the tunnel. Roach grimaced. “Betty!” A fist rapped on the ceiling a couple of times to discourage her.

He watched her get up and stagger over to lean against the window, and he was faced with a sight which he had not sought out but was now seeking him. He might have appreciated it more, had she not been in such a state. Didn’t mean he didn’t look.

“Uh, no. Sure wuhdn’t plannin’ on it.” He stared at her, shaking his head. “Yer a fuckin’ wild one.”

Watching her rub her head, his forehead wrinkled and he sighed roughly and climbed over the console, pushing out the passenger door and going to offer an arm. “Git’cher bird ‘n c’mon. I ain't gon’ do nothin' and yew can’t jus’ stay here.”

close tab

played by

BD

Lex
She / Her
January 2
Goldenrod City
Bi
Thief
Ex-Rocket Beast
LET ME TASTE
your blood and tears
5'10'' height
5'10'' height
Going to hell cause it feels like heaven.
awards
1,177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lex
Alexandra Briarwood
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 1, 2021 18:16:20 GMT
Alexandra Briarwood Avatar

A wild one. Lex laughed. Poor man had no idea . . . well, guess he was getting a bit of a taste now. The support of the car and actually being on her feet cleared her head a bit. A dull dizziness remained but nothing she couldn’t work through.

She frowned through tight lips, eyes warily fixated on the passenger seat. Doubt remained, but she didn’t have much of a choice in the matter, “He’ll follow us,” she said plainly, referring to the Braviary. Insurance, maybe? Aubie could at least spot Kaito from a mile away. Her suspicions remained; she was too paranoid for it to dissipate that easily.

Lex moved towards the other side of the vehicle with more stability than before. She slid into the passenger seat without a word and pulled the door shut behind her. The silence settled, she obviously wasn’t going to speak on the subject any further unless prodded. Now that she was seated, she could feel the aftershock of the adrenaline pulsing through her. Her hands trembled, and she couldn’t stop it.

“Ya got anything to drink in here?” she growled, flicking open the glove box in search of a familiar cure to calm her nerves.

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
DON'T FEAR NOTHING, SNAKE IS BLUFFING
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 2, 2021 2:57:37 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

Roach’s fingers splayed, hovering over untouched skin a moment as Lex helped herself off the door. “Y’good?” But he slid into the driver’s side too soon, and as Lex made her way around, the riled pokemon on top of the sedan snapped and squawked provocatively.

“Gyahd—Chill, damn you! Roach pounded the torn ceiling of the car a couple of times again, until the Mandibuzz quieted down. Her talons shuffled on the tin can roof, before they heard a BOOM of the metal giving and bowing out again, and the bird was gone, off into the dark.

When Lex slid into the seat next to him, his eyes shifted at her—cut, discerning. There was a lot to talk about, but he opted for silence for a breath or two. Then, she tried to open the glove compartment.

“Aye!” A hand shot out and snapped it shut again from the corner, his fuzzy jaw angling at her squarely. “This ain’t a taxi, Lex.”

He sighed, deeply, pacifyingly, and his back rounded into the seat, and for a long moment only the sound of the engine would fill the tunnel. After those moments, though, he shook his head and reached into the center console, retrieving a flask and tossing it into her lap. It contained whiskey, of course.

“Shouldn’ o’ let yew down here.” He met her growl with a gravelly grunt. “Who’s after ya?”

close tab

played by

BD

Lex
She / Her
January 2
Goldenrod City
Bi
Thief
Ex-Rocket Beast
LET ME TASTE
your blood and tears
5'10'' height
5'10'' height
awards
1,177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lex
Alexandra Briarwood
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 2, 2021 3:34:01 GMT

The sudden outburst and Roach snapping shut the glove box made her jump – but only for a moment. With an icy, side-eyed glare she judged him. He’d shown her his secrets, his underground, a part of him he no doubt reluctantly shared. What else could he possibly have to hide?

Lex crossed her arms, sinking back into the seat. She let the silence and the sound of the engine fill the void between them. The air was so thick with tension she could taste it. He doubted her – she doubted him. The weight of it was as palpable as the weight of the Manidbuzz as it took off from the roof of the sedan. Something between them would have to give if this was going to work.

The cold glare that had quickly fixated back on the dark tunnel turned back to Roach when he spoke again. He asked a deeply personal question. One that gave her pause and visible cringe at the thought, “A Johto scumbag,” she spat, as if the words were poison. There was no use trying to hide it. There was a minor relief in finally saying it out loud, something that had only plagued her thoughts since she found out her head had a price. Her shoulders remained tense, but the chill in her glare softened, turning away to look down the tunnel once more.

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 2, 2021 4:34:40 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

He thought of Diego, and how deeply his friend had gotten himself into trouble; the change in his demeanor when he’d known he’d slipped up, and they’d been watching. How jumpy he always was. Roach had no idea what evils constituted the struggle in Lex’s life, nor, honestly, did he have the welfare in any capacity to care as much as she probably needed.

But he did care.

“Mm.” His mouth skewed a bit. “Well. I ain’ never been to Johto. I don’ know if that makes ya feel any better, but—…” he snorted. “Shit. I ain’t gon’ kill ya.”

For a moment, an eye hung in the drivers-side mirror, in some sort of waking dream. Bad memory. Something made him huff, a gear shifting in his mental visibly. He folded.

“So what d’you wan' do? We goin’ to the beach or the hospital?”

close tab

played by

BD

Lex
She / Her
January 2
Goldenrod City
Bi
Thief
Ex-Rocket Beast
LET ME TASTE
your blood and tears
5'10'' height
5'10'' height
awards
1,177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lex
Alexandra Briarwood
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 2, 2021 6:00:51 GMT

A set of softer eyes looked over towards Roach as the tension in her shoulders melted into the torn fabric of the old sedan. A part of her . . . kind of believed him.

Lex shifted in the seat, crossed arms falling to her lap. Her finger delicately grasped the flask. A shaky finger unscrewed the cap while he was lost in thought, taking a healthy swig from the flask of mediocre whiskey. It burned a bit but hit the spot. It wasn’t quite the immediate relief she was looking for but hopefully it would set in sooner rather than later.

“Hospital!?” she choked as she laughed at the word, shaking her head, “Hell nah. Beach,” she pointed ahead down the dark tunnel.

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 6, 2021 1:55:45 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

Roach shook his head. Fuck. And then they were off again, trailing a Mandibuzz unseen in the distance. He slouched and pinched his forehead, considering the risks of actions too late.

He let it go for a bit, but it couldn’t stay on the backburner forever. He pressed.

“This Johto scumbag: he gon’ follow you here?” His fingers rapped hesitantly on the steering wheel once, twice. “Listen. I don’ mean to come off like an asshole ‘er nothin’, alright, I jus... whatever you got goin’ on, you can’t come hidin’ behind me here. I got my own shit to take care of.” He glanced out the window, not willing to make eye contact even to ensure that she was coherent.

The nerves were getting to him, now.

close tab

played by

BD

Lex
She / Her
January 2
Goldenrod City
Bi
Thief
Ex-Rocket Beast
LET ME TASTE
your blood and tears
5'10'' height
5'10'' height
awards
1,177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lex
Alexandra Briarwood
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 6, 2021 14:17:13 GMT

”Fuck” was right. This night had taken a turn down a road she had certainly not expected. For better or for worse had yet to be decided.

The Braviary remained closer to the sedan than the Mandibuzz, just behind it. The strong beat of his wings was lost in the rumble of the old sedan but Lex could spot tailfeathers in the rearview every now and then which gave a sense of comfort.

The anxious beat of fingers against the steering wheel called to her. A familiar, hesitant twitch, “My shit is my shit and your shit is yours,” she frowned, attempting to find eyes that avoided hers, “I don’t see why it has to leech into our business,” Another swig of whiskey burned down her throat before she offered it out to Roach, “I’m not hiding behind anyone,” Quite literally – she was utterly alone. There was a bitterness in her tone, she took mild offense to being accused of hiding. Well, one may consider joining Rocket was an attempt. Even with them she wasn’t hiding, just trying to put herself in a position of enough power that Kaito would think twice about crossing the organization, “And what makes you think I’m trying to hide behind you?” A hint of a tease behind genuine curiosity. What made him think this was about anything more than just money? A pokemon black market dealer versus a Johto mobster? That would be a terrible choice on her part (although she wasn’t quite sure what Roach was capable of), “And, look, if you don’t wanna make a deal just tell me to fuck off.”

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 11, 2021 6:54:22 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

“Woah woah woah, now, you hold on Lex—yer damn right we’re still doin’ the deal. I did not bring you down here fer nothin’.” He glared over at her a moment before his stare returned ahead, shoulder drooping distraughtly to a different angle.

Her teasing hadn’t improved his mood. “’N as far as hidin’ behind me goes, I’m just lettin’ you know fer the future: yer dude shows up here raisin’ hell? That’s on you. I don’ want no part in that shit. Got it?”

“Ain’t shit gotta leech into our business. Business's business.”

They neared a stone wall again, a dock within a grotto on the other side. Betty the Mandibuzz squawked, perched on a ledge.

close tab

played by

BD

Lex
She / Her
January 2
Goldenrod City
Bi
Thief
Ex-Rocket Beast
LET ME TASTE
your blood and tears
5'10'' height
5'10'' height
awards
1,177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lex
Alexandra Briarwood
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON May 19, 2021 15:31:51 GMT

“Good,” she lips curled into a smile when he confirmed the deal was still on, “Yea, I got it. He won’t be a problem,” she hoped, at least. If anyone found her, they’d likely make it quiet rather than cause a scene. Less likely to spook her into running again that way.

Lex leaned forward as they approached another stone wall. The Braviary swooped over the roof of the car and joined the Mandibuzz on her perch, just far enough away to not be threatening. As far as Lex could see, it was another dead end. However, she doubted that it would be, considering her experience thus far.

“So this is the end of the line, huh?” she glanced back towards with a curious grin.

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
Pour Me Another (s,c)
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 7:44:12 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

It seemed things were back to being okay. ‘Friends’ would have been a bit much for the word, but maybe they’d recover. Either way, they were associates now.

Roach gave a nod, eyes wary but accepting her answer with a leap of faith.

Betty sat on her perch, feathers ruffled as she squawked irritably at the Braviary. She was not so ready to make good. She was old, and grumpy.

He looked back to Lex as he shut off the engine, door creaking as he stepped out. “Not quite.”

The Malamar from earlier was released again, and the wall shook as it lowered with its psychic power. Behind it was the grotto, perfectly hidden away with calm water which snaked out to the ocean through a natural cave. A small dock ran into it, to which Roach’s equally modest fishing boat was tied.