snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2021 4:08:59 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]truthfully, she tried to avoid returning. at least, for a little while. there's something uncomfortable about having to face her demons. even more so when they're dressed all nice and looking at her like she's worth her weight in gold. she shifts atop a barstool, a cute dress now seemingly suffocating.

illeana probably should have called. well... before now, anyway.

it's a different setting than the last time. not confined to the cage of a silph office, allowed to congregate in a more natural atmosphere. apparently it doesn't get more natural than a shitty ass bar.

she'll try to distract herself by swirling ice cubes around a glass. contents long since consumed yet not replenished just yet. the bartender comes and goes and she never bothers to flag him down. her eyes keep flittering to the door and then down. anxiety wraps her body in knots, mild waves of nausea rising and settling. some parts of her body feel like fire and others like pin needles.

all a part of the waiting game.

her finger rises to signal for another as the bell chimes. and while the drink is made, she keeps her eyes forward. there's no need to look to see the man of the hour has finally arrived.

"fernando," first name. yikes.

[newclass=.illie] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2021 3:04:53 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Funny she would call out to him after all this time. Her little dip in his proceedings is noted albeit unimportant. A missing person, for all their worth, becomes meaningless when the world continues on without them.

Fernando Silph waits for no one. Hoenn won’t afford him anything else.

That’s why he doesn’t keep her waiting. Not a minute early and by no means late, the door creaks open when Fernando breaks schedule with an uncharacteristic visit to an unnamed bar. It’s a surprising choice considering his own caricature of Illeana but people change.

In more ways than one.

Reyes.

But Fernando Silph remains the same.

Always.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 1:15:07 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]her choice of venue is considerably odd, that much is factual. out of character, yes. the simple explanation, though, is this: she isn't confined to a cage anymore. there's a freedom to her now. enough for her to summon the powerful councilman to a seedy bar with liquor on her breath and know he'll show.

there's a certainty to their interactions, really.

she knows he'll show and he knows she'll call. it's almost enough to make her smile. it shows as a slight quirk of the corners of a mouth, friendly and affectionate with the familiar sound of her last name.

"how've you been?" pleasantries while she sips, while she increases the liquor in her system and decreases her brain function. it's hard to pinpoint the cause for this effect at the moment. maybe time with her parents, maybe the losses suffered. that train of thought dies at the bottom of a glass now empty, names and faces buried beneath haze.

she'll pat the seat beside her, shifting to cross one leg over the other. the dress moves, creases, settles against the top of her thighs.

"still busy as ever?" she doesn't necessarily want to talk about work anymore but she asks anyway. polite, even when it no longer concerns her. she left that part behind. the only reminder of it, now, is her company. and eventually, he'll become a different reminder. of what, exactly? that's for him to decide.

[newclass=.illie] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 4:45:06 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Absolutely terrible.” He saturates the truth with a cocktail of sarcasm and a whimsical smile, faint on the surface between the tight-lipped expressions she’s used to. He pulls up in the seat offered, elbow planted firm against the first safe spot he can find against the countertop underneath.

Falling apart at the seams—nothing new. But indeed, busy as always. For now, anyways.

He keeps his secret on the tip of his tongue, debating whether or not to let it free. It’s not one that’s indefinitely well kept but those he’s told are all within his inner circle. He doubts it’ll leak until the time is right, should the time come at all.

But not too busy to make time for an old friend.

The implication is simple. Best left unsaid and spelled between the mutual twinge of his lips.

What’s new?

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 13:35:15 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]"i'm sorry," characteristic, usual, expected. an apology is what she knows, what she offers. "you'll wear yourself ragged, you know." he's always been working. going here, going there, busy busy busy. it's what he knows.

a hand raises, a signal for two. the bartender gets to work.

"for now?" she turns to face him, head tilting at the thought. "well, that doesn't sound ominous at all." the chuckle that escapes almost sounds sad. not quite but tinged enough to taste bitter.

an old friend. time and disappearances have eroded their relationship. is it for better or worse? who's to say, really. things left unsaid and actions left in the past. the here and now is all that she's concerned about. the future is shaky at best and nonexistent at worst.

still, there's comfort in their exchanges, comfort in his presence.

a soft sigh escapes and for the first time of the night, a warm smile erupts across her features.

"i appreciate you coming," she murmurs. her attention retreats to the bar, to the drinks as they come. her fingers clutch around glass like a lifeline. "i'm sorry for leaving."

she doesn't need to explain why. he knows as well as she does what was left behind.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 15:30:09 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Ah. That's what I've been told." It's what he knows. Everyone warns him, to ease off for his own sake. But doing so is nothing short of inviting disaster. Once he puts a brake on it, kills his momentum, he's not sure he'll be able to ignite again. He's running on his own fumes. And knowing this, he can never stop. He keeps pushing because it's the only thing he knows.

"Two years and counting Reyes."

A silent huff weeps from his body in a cheeky jab. Since when did her generation get to worry about those who came before them? He can only surmise it's a priviledge etch in her newfoudn freedom, from her escape rom the shackles of Hoenn's ecosystem. In it, he gets to see a freedom he's yet to taste, starved of out of his own volition.

He'll embrace it soon enough. And, much like her, he'll make it his own.

How much it will change him, he's not sure, but seeing her here, a stark contrast to the meek lab coat assistant he's used to seeing in the League laboratories is a warning of what's to come.

"You did what you have to."

He accepts the glass alon gwith her apology, washing both of them down in one clean throwback.

"The burden I placed on you was not a light one. Thank you, Reyes."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 15:58:35 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]the ghost of a smile precedes half of a tease. "and will you ever listen?" she knows he won't. not yet, not when he's still in his prime. not when there's so much to do and so much to take. for all the differences they have, she has come to learn one thing about fernando silph: he takes what he is owed. it's admirable to her, if only because she cannot possess the same prowess.

maybe one day she will.

"when will the counting end, hm?" it's only half as cheeky as his before. a tit for tat, a new game she's come into playing. snowpoint city did her well. a new woman, a new pawn. never close to the queen but she'll keep trying. unfortunately, freedom always comes at a price.

part of her wonders if that price has already come to pass or if it's sitting beside her now.

the drink is short lived. all that remains is ice cubes barely melted and alcohol fresh on her lips. a mirror of his actions, maybe. or, better yet, a survival tactic. the past year has not been kind.

"perhaps," sounds hollow, faraway. how much of it was necessary? how much cowardice? fleeing from demons here right into the arms of demons there. returning home had never been an option until she made it one. and now, she'll reap what she has sown. trauma changes the person, breaks the soul. what you do with those pieces is up to you. bits of an old self stitched together with bits of a new. halfway between the past and the future, somewhere in limbo like searching for a purpose. except, she has none.

"i suppose i was naive for thinking it would be." expectations are always heavy but his? crushing. perhaps it's no surprise she didn't amount to what he had hoped. she had wanted to surpass the idea of her he has created. surpass, exceed, conquer. instead, she crumbled beneath pressure and loss and has yet to rise from ashes. it'd be silly of her to believe he would place faith in her again, really, but the soft flicker still burns.

glass clinks against counter and she rotates to face him.

"there's nothing to thank me for." not now, not yet. she failed. the thought stings. "who's to say what the future holds, though."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 16:17:19 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"When I can, perhaps."

The answer is more simple than most would think. It's never about will he by choice. It's about if he can afford to do so while relying on those in his wake to pick up the slack. And, as always, that answer is no. None of them prove worthy, none of them suitable for him to relax without worry. So he endures.

"Perhaps, but I knew well ahead of time this could happen. And I let it happen because we had no choice."

She still faults herself—this much too is to be expected, but having someone as tangible as her pushed to her limits ensured that the League Avatars survived the Three Day War. This, at the expense of her confidence and psyche, is a high value trade Fernando is willing to make time and time again. He doesn't regret it despite having to face the aftermath of his choice here and now.

If anything, it makes her more endearing, in a fucked up sense.

"You say that like you're thinking of coming back into the fold."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 16:45:58 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]classic answer. when he can, when he's allowed. she expects nothing less of him and yet, a tiny part is almost saddened at the thought. "soon, i hope." for his sake stays rooted in her mind, unspoken but present.

truthfully, she's still angry. filled with a soft rage that won't die out. the events that transpired in the three day war haunt her. and here he sits, informing her that he knew the risk. he considered it and didn't care. the risk outweighed the reward. it doesn't surprise her. no choice, no other option.

nothing but her.

in an odd, fucked way, it's flattering. he held her on such a high pedestal that he knew she could get them out in one piece. integral to their success, sure, but at what cost? maybe herself, her avatarship, her life. each one insignificant in the throes of war.

"it's a shame it came to that," she murmurs. it's bitter, almost resentful. "but somehow, not surprising." she knew war would be hell going into it and she still went. that's on her, not him. besides, she's never been more than a lamb for slaughter. there was always going to come a time where she would have to face that role.

will she come back into the fold? is there even a spot for her now? she's uncertain of her place in the grand scheme of things, sure, but would that stop her?

"i might." there's a very high chance she will. and as if to solidify that, she offers more. "after all, i have nothing left to lose." a smile turns rueful.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 17:19:04 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Indeed. But one can only assume that's the whole reason things came to pass the way they did." Fernando clicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth, dry in the absence of another drink. He looks at her, once over, without an ounce of regret as he tantalizes over the woman she is now.

It reminds him of the last time they partook in such a setting, the former more rambunctious in eloping into bad decisions. She had been the voice of reason then, stifling him for all his worth, and he sees the reflection between them as certain as night and day. How fitting.

"You have a lot more to lose, Reyes."

He turns inward, toward the counter, and gives another wave. Such sobering conversation needs to be drowned out in remorse and inhibitions.

"You just don't know it yet."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 17:47:06 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]things happen for a reason. events unfold the way they do with some higher purpose we don't understand. maybe that's the catch of existence. she doesn't bother to dwell too much on it, the thoughts too deep into existential crisis for her not sober mind. "no use in thinking it could be different." that road leads to somewhere she doesn't want to be anymore.

the differences between the bar then and the bar now are not lost on her.

before, she had been shy, meek, in over her head, avoiding the notion that his eyes are roaming. it's an almost pleasant change, truthfully. there's something thrilling, now, about the motion. maybe that's why her head raises a little higher, why her legs shift to uncross and recross. aware, taunting, playing the new part she's made for herself.

the voice of reason is no longer her duty and she can't decide whether that's a good or bad thing.

"is that so?" a challenge for him to show her what she doesn't know. she leans some of her weight onto the bar, attention moving to the bartender. he's busy working, crafting their next drinks. "i thought everything had already been lost. do you know something i don't, fernando?" coy, even if she adept with the concept. it won't get her very far.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 18:35:06 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Indeed."

Her call to raise the stakes is met with him folding. As enticing as the offer is, he knows better than to bite dangling bait. She couldn't make it any less obvious. And, with neither of them having drank near enough to kill any last minute hesitations, it's not worth his while. Not yet.

So he showers her in a small bit of advice that he's had the privilege of living through. "There is always more to lose. Just when you think there's nothing else fate can take, it shows you just how wrong you are." He huffs. "So persevere and cherish what little you still have."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 18:50:01 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]it doesn't bother her that bait isn't taken. she knows better than to assume he would jump at the sight of flesh. still, it's somewhat amusing to test that theory. much like an experiment, she'll change a variable and try again. all for scientific purposes, right?

the signal for another round is expected. quick, efficient, no sign of slowing yet.

"fate's taken enough," she can't help the soft laugh that weasels its way out. "i'd appreciate a break from losing if that's alright with the powers that be."

it never will be, though. more will be taken than received. it's the way the world works. something always goes south.

a hand rises to tuck a stray strand back behind her ear. "would it be persevering if i jumped back into the fold?" her eyes dart to gauge his reaction. "or would it be idiotic?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 19:00:58 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Mmhm." Fernando nods in agreeance but doesn't offer much more input than that. It comes with a long string of philosophy but he remains silent. There's no doubt it'll do more harm than good so he keeps it bottled, just like everything else that prove detrimental in his life.

"Depends on what you do."

His eyes soften at the sight of another round. "Life is difficult and filled with obstacles made to wear you down. Jump back in just to erode under the pressure and you're nothing short of an idiot." He raises his glass in congratulations, to cheer her return. "But stand tall despite it and it will wear away your weaknesses. You'll lose parts of yourself but that which remains will be well chiseled, exposing the strongest parts of you know that were bundled underneath."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
kingslayer
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 19:17:38 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]a choice is to be made. left up to no one else but her and her determination. that much he presents in the dim light of a bar.

she sees two story lines. one reminiscent of the past: come back and crumble beneath pressure too heavy for shoulders to carry. and one of a future she can almost grasp: come back and rise past the challenges to become something greater.

the latter keeps her from running away again. the notion that she can become more keeps her in front of him, keeps her calling.

"i'll stand tall. i refuse to crumble anymore," her glass rises to match his own. a congratulations, a promise. she will be everything he had dreamed of and more. "i just have to figure out how exactly to jump back in."

her position is gone, filled with another. her avatarship eroded to nothing but a distant memory. from her viewpoint, she doesn't have much to offer him or the league anymore. and yet, an invitation will eventually still come in the mail in the form of a summons.

her drink empties in one fluid motion, empty glass abandoned. she'll turn toward him again with a curious look. halfway between teasing and serious, an odd space to be.

"any ideas?"