Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
It's a long way forward, so trust in me.
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 4, 2021 3:41:06 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Beep...beep…beep…

The sounds of a heart monitor was eventually what roused Rowan into consciousness, blurred vision and intense fluorescent lighting momentarily masking his surroundings. “Hnng…” As he pushed himself upwards into a sitting position, Rowan could feel the various monitors attached strategically on his body begin to tug with the movement, the uncomfortable pinching of an intravenous needle giving him a general idea of where he was. The last thing he remembered was throwing up in ‘s living room after being teleported out of the Cave of Origin by the Gardevoir, assuming that had managed to get him medical attention from there.

Glancing around his surroundings through squinted vision, Rowan discovered that he wasn’t in a hospital as he’d originally thought, instead recognizing the familiar setting of the Medical Bay aboard the Team Rocket submarine. “Arceus.” Dropping back onto the pillow with a soft sigh, he inspected the various bandages and gauze that were adhered to his skin, not realizing exactly how banged up he’d gotten on that mission. More troubling however was the fact that Rowan had no idea how long he’d been asleep, or what day it even was. A cursory search of the surroundings produced no cellphone, meaning that it must have been placed away with the rest of his belongings. What if Adrian was worried about him? He needed to get out of this place as soon as possible.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 4, 2021 13:49:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"He's awake, sir."

"Thank you."

Gavin sweeps into the room like a bad storm, anger flashing like lightning in his eyes. It is not directed at , and it softens ever so slightly as his gaze shifts to the injured recruit. He was off to a rough start in Rocket.

"Chin up, Wrynn, you made it out alive." His lip quirks with sympathy he doesn't otherwise express. "Looking for something?"
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 14:45:15 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I suppose that’s one way to look at it.” Rowan said with a soft sigh as entered the room, admittedly not looking forward to telling them the details of their failed mission. The Cave of Origin was the first major operation he’d been entrusted with, and it hadn’t gone nearly as well as he’d hoped. “I’m just looking for my phone, Adrian has to be worried about me right now.” He hesitated for a moment, realizing that Gavin wouldn’t likely have any idea who that was. “My boyfriend.” Rowan added, for clarification.

“I’m guessing Oscar told you that the League likely has Alexandra?” Rowan’s gaze averted as he posed the question, obvious remorse on his face that nothing could have been done to prevent it. “We had no choice but to escape, three of their operatives showed up and had the place trapped before we even got there.” A groan escaped his lips as Rowan pushed himself into a sitting position once more, still able to feel the stabbing pain radiate through his leg where it was impaled. “I want to help get her back.”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 15:02:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin glances about the room as if the gesture might summon the missing phone, then shrugs. "I can offer a burner, if you know his number."

Old Rocket, you wouldn't have dared admit there was someone you cared about. Failure cost more lives than your own. But though Gavin is hardened from the forge of old, he has adopted different methods than his mentors. The phone is extended to ; the lock screen boasts a picture of Cavalli's silver Corviknight, which disappears as a thumbprint is registered. "No details."

Should he sneak a glance at Gavin's expression, Rowan would see it darken.

"Yes, he's told me." Mishaps, captures, they came with the territory — didn't mean he had to like it. He pulls no punches in his honesty. "You're in no state to help. You'd only be a liability. Admin Decker has it handled."

is closer to the situation than Gavin would have liked, but he understands. Were it in danger, he'd stop at nothing to get her back.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 16:52:41 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I do, thanks.” Rowan offered a nod of gratitude as he accepted the phone, able to see the picture of the Corviknight for a brief moment before the image disappeared as the screen unlocked. “Understood.” An eyebrow rose as he began typing the phone number into the texting application, the number seeming to fill itself in after a few digits had been entered. “Oh, I guess you know him.” Rowan commented offhandedly as he typed the message to , assuming that simply knew a great deal of people because of his contacts in the region, though he couldn’t be sure what the connection was.

‘Hey handsome, I lost my phone so I'm texting from a friend’s. Wanted to let you know I'm okay and will be getting a new one soon. I love you.’ Rowan sent the message off with the press of a button and handed the phone back towards Gavin, able to relax more now that Adrian wouldn’t be worrying if he was dead or not.

“Yeah, I know…” Rowan was fully aware he wasn’t in any condition to perform a rescue operation, yet he couldn’t help but feel responsible for the capture of a comrade, he wanted to help in some way. “I only got a good look at two of them. One of the men was Galarian, might have been police from the way he talked. The other was a Ranger, dark hair with an eyepatch that covered half his face.” Memories began to be pulled from the haze, recognition flickering in his eyes as he remembered a detail that might have been of importance. “The Ranger had a Shadow Pokemon, an Obstagoon.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 17:05:01 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin does, in fact, know a great many people. He thinks nothing of it until the phone is handed back to him and the contact information of lingers.

"Does he know you're in Rocket, Rowan?"

Malcolm may not have crossed the threshold into their organization quite yet, but it wasn't for lack of scouting. He was a powerful trainer with a chip on his shoulder that Gavin hoped to sway to their side before the League got hold of him.

"Because he may just guess."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 17:16:23 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“No, he doesn’t.” Rowan shook his head at the question, confident he’d been able to cover up his participation in the organization until this point. This wasn’t because he didn’t trust Adrian with the information, but instead because he didn’t want his partner to worry about his well being. Rowan had gotten in over his head with the League and his family, he didn’t want to make his own problems become Adrian’s as well.

“Because he may just guess.”

Now that mentioned this, Rowan finally realized the strange coincidence of the number being programmed into his phone through the haze that the painkillers created in his mind. “Does...he know that you are in Rocket?” There was a slight panic that came over the younger man, the beeping on his heart rate monitor immediately picking up in pace as he attempted to pull his thoughts together. “Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 17:25:18 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
If not for the heart monitor loudly informing him of 's alarm, his expression would suffice. He hadn't dropped in with the intention of alarming the patient, but some things couldn't be helped.

"He does," Gavin confirms. "Will that be a problem?"

He didn't know the conversations they had in private. Perhaps Malcolm loathed Rocket to the core of his very being.

"You could play it off, perhaps, but he knows this is a burner."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 18:44:35 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

A few minutes passed before Rowan was able to regain control of himself and the erratic feelings that peered through the mental fog, the heart rate monitor finally returning to a normal rhythm. “I’m sorry, it’s just…” Rowan wasn’t sure how to phrase the sentiment, unsure if Gavin would understand or even care about where he was coming from. “...I know that Adrian would worry about me and make my problems into his own, he has enough of those without me making it worse.” Little did Rowan know exactly how much Gavin knew about Adrian's problems, and the hand he’d had in clearing some of them up.

“How does he know you are Rocket, anyways?” This whole situation was confusing, Rocket was supposed to be a clandestine organization, their members were supposed to remain a secret. So how was it that Adrian knew Gavin was a member of Team Rocket, when he was the one that urged secrecy above all else? “Do you know something I don’t?” This wasn’t the conversation he expected to be having with the underboss, but now paranoia was getting the best of him.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 19:16:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin does not understand. He is, above all else, a selfish man. His own needs have always come first. He would be neither alive nor in a position of power under Rocket's reign if it were any other way.

But he listens, at least, and attempts to process.

"He doesn't know my name." Which, as it would turn out, was not true. Gavin exists for now in blissful ignorance. "Only that Rocket are interested in his talent and that we could help each other, if he'd let us."

's next question is loaded. Gavin eyes him carefully. "What do you know?"
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 23:17:31 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Rocket was interested in his talent? Rowan could acknowledge that the prospect made sense, seeing as Adrian was one of the most well known trainers in the region. Should they have him on Team Rocket, then they’d be gaining a powerful asset. Perhaps they could even help him find the bastard that killed Howitzer, with their resources and intelligence. “I see…” As much as Rowan would love to have Adrian in Rocket and be able to finally let go of the secret that had been weighing him down, he knew that his boyfriend valued his independence and generally wasn’t interested in being tethered to an organization.

“What do you know?”

“Nothing, apparently.” His tone was more exasperated than anything, attempting to process all of this new information through the haze that clouded his thoughts. “This is the first I'm hearing of it.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 6, 2021 0:09:08 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He seems miffed; whether at himself or at , Gavin isn't sure.

"It seems you're both keeping secrets."

He can't imagine keeping something so vital from , but Rocket had not been a barrier between them. They were both of the old days, even if Emma had left where Gavin had remained, and there had been an understanding in that knowledge.

He moves on, passing over drama between lovers.

"A Ranger with half his face covered, you say." The description is distinct enough that he forms a picture in his mind and resentment in the pit of his stomach. If only he had been wise enough to stay away... "I know him, I believe. ."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 6, 2021 2:22:29 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

was speaking the truth, Rowan had been keeping a rather important secret from the man he loved and continuing to deceive Adrian would only make things more complicated when the truth inevitably came out. “Seems we are.” His tone was sullen, as though he was conflicted from which course of action to take. “I’ll deal with it.” This wasn’t Gavin’s problem and they certainly didn’t have the relationship in which he could talk it through with the underboss without feeling as though he was crossing some sort of professional line. “Thanks.”

Luckily Gavin moved the conversation onto a different topic before this one got too awkward, referring to the one-eyed Ranger he’d seen in the Cave of Origin. “I’m unfamiliar with who that is, but he had a Greninja of his own. Fought with the one you gave me and injured them through Mega Evolution. Their Obstagoon was definitely a Shadow Pokemon though, stronger and possessed attacks that i’ve never seen one use before.” Freeze-Dry had eliminated his Slowbro in one blow, a move he was certain that the Pokemon couldn’t have been able to learn.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 6, 2021 10:54:01 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Good." He leaves it at that.

Gavin's eyes narrow at the mention of shadow Pokémon.

"Did you see any sign of crystal growths on its body?" Necrozma's ilk were unique even among their own kind. It helped to identify the survivors of the Blackout. "You would have seen the phenomenon before, with my own."

close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Failure [S/C]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 5:11:58 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Crystal growths…” Rowan focused hard on the image of their Obstagoon from his memory, struggling to recall the appearance for a few moments. “...Yes, it did.” Things were becoming clearer by the moment as the drugs in his system slowly wore off, the pain beginning to surface once more. “It’s arms were covered in the crystal.”

was correct that the growths were similar to those that his own Shadow Pokemon possessed, but Rowan couldn’t help but be interested in the significance. “Does that mean something?”