thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 17, 2021 23:16:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"We stay loyal to Rocket, and we keep ourselves alive."

Even Lugia's pressure struggles to match the weight pressing down on Gavin; it had been bad enough to know that 's fate was tied to his own, and now there was a third wheel to a vehicle that has long since derailed.

He stares at , intense.

"We do as we're told, and nothing will change." There's a subtle tremor in his tone, nearly imperceptible. "But Walsh knows who I am, and he'll know who you are, too."

He wonders if Rowan understands.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
It's a long way forward, so trust in me.
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 18, 2021 5:34:08 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I don’t plan on betraying Rocket, so I suppose I don’t need to worry about dying anytime soon.” There was some implication to Gavin’s words that he wasn’t able to decipher, as though the chance of them doing either were suddenly heightened in some way, or the consequences for doing so perhaps. “No matter what information I could give the League, they’d deport me back to Galar with or without a prison sentence. You don’t need to worry about me turning, I would rather die than go back there.” All that remained in Galar was unpleasant memories that no part of him wanted to relive.

“Walsh?” Rowan was able to immediately notice the timbre in their voice change, even though it only lasted moments. “You’re afraid of him, aren’t you?” Tone of voice lowered slightly as he leaned towards Gavin, raising an eyebrow at the question. Rowan had never met Declan Walsh, though he knew the man through sheer reputation as leader of the organization. was the most powerful man he’d met in his short years on this planet, how strong must Walsh be to elicit fear from the underboss? “What did he say to you? Why does it matter if he knows who I am?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 18, 2021 6:08:09 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Rowan doesn't understand.

Not the gravity of the situation, at least — but there is one thing he does see.

'You're afraid of him, aren't you?'

Pride had been beaten out of him, once. Under Cadis it had returned, under Walsh it had flourished... and now, Gavin closes his eyes and takes a breath as he swallows it willingly. Pride didn't matter to the dead.

"Rowan, I'm terrified of him."

There's a surprising amount of vulnerability in the pause that follows, as Gavin collects his scattered thoughts into something he can digest.

"I'm sure you've heard stories of Kanto." Who hadn't? "I was recruited there. Trained there. It's — Rocket's changed a lot, since then, but there's still — hierarchy. Orders are orders." Obedient. Blind. "Kanto Rocket, they'd kill your whole family if you betrayed them. Walsh is from Kanto, too. You see what I'm saying?"

His heart is racing, the panic he'd worked so hard to quell rising in his chest.

"I served under Blackwell, Rowan. I might be underboss, but Walsh is the boss. He tells me to jump, I'll jump. I need you to swear you'll do the same."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 21, 2021 17:17:30 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

"We stay loyal to Rocket, and we keep ourselves alive."

Suddenly there was context to these words when described the Kanto era of Team Rocket, understanding the gravity of them being family in relation to the organization finally. “I understand.” There was a pause in Rowan’s words as he looked Gavin in the eyes, able to see the fear present within them that spoke volumes. “You’re covering your own ass.” Disappointment was obvious in his tone, a small part of him having hoped that Gavin would have been different than the rest of his family.

“No need to worry, I won’t do anything that will get you killed. I’ll be on my best behavior.” Seemed as though the Quinns had more in common with the Wrynn family than he expected, at least he could find comfort in familiarity. Rowan pushed himself up from the chair and stepped towards the door, keeping his back turned to Gavin so that he could hide the emotion on his face. “Was there anything else, sir?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 22, 2021 7:00:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Sit down." Gavin's tone, sharp and insistent, suggests command over request; his expression pinches before he amends, "Please. That's not an order."

The composure upon which he prides himself is less necessary around a man who knows his name, his fears, and so he lets the stiffness of formality leech from his shoulders as he leans back in the chair.

"This goes both ways, you know. I have no intention of putting you in danger, and you'd be in far more danger than I am. I'm an underboss, an Avatar, an asset."

The door behind them remains locked, still shimmering pink.

"Hoenn is not Kanto, and I am not Blackwell. I won't punish those who speak their mind, so long as they do so respectfully. If you have concerns, voice them."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 4:20:04 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

A request to return was made by , the absence of command in his voice was instead a plea. “...Alright.” Rowan returned to his seat opposite the underboss, avoiding their gaze for the time being. “Damned if I do and damned if I don’t, then?” Being a model employee to Team Rocket meant nothing should Gavin do something to earn the ire of Declan Walsh, he could be killed at any time and not know the reason why. “Not really making this more enticing, Gavin.”

Rowan gave a moment of pause as he considered his words carefully, not wanting to show off more of the pissed off teenager that still dwelled inside of him, ready to lash out. “You say Hoenn isn’t Kanto, but a remnant remains in charge. Who is to say that he won’t decide the current method isn’t working, and decides to go with what works?” Amber eyes shifted towards Gavin now, meeting his gaze once more. “What happens when he decides you are a liability and not an asset?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 4:39:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Three remnants remain in charge," Gavin corrects. "Walsh, Choi, myself."

It did not make him feel proud, to claim criminal heritage from a place that had brought him such suffering. But neither was there a point in pretending to be something else.

meets his gaze, and Gavin's throat bobs as he swallows.

"Then he'll kill me, Rowan."

He remembers watching the shadows shift along the wall of their own accord, a promise of Darkrai's power. How powerless he'd been in comparison, with Lugia close but unable to intervene.

"But I am trying very hard to prove to him that we don't need to return to Kanto's brutality to run our branch effectively. We don't need to beat our soldiers into blind submission before they've done anything wrong. We can look out for one another, protect one another."

Had Gavin stood up in the middle of a meeting with Beckett and tried to leave, Beckett would've slammed him up against the wall and forced his submission.

The knowledge sits heavily in the pit of his stomach.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 4:56:47 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I hope that Walsh heeds your advice.” A solemn look crossed his expression, unsure of how to express the trepidation that he was feeling. “I’m not a murderer, Gavin. I wouldn’t survive under the old regime, I’m just a scared kid looking for his place in the world. Hoping that one day he’ll know where he belongs.” Rowan let out a soft sigh, not used to being vulnerable with someone that wasn’t Adrian.

“I’m no avatar, my Pokemon aren’t powerful and I’ve gotten one of our own captured on a mission. What purpose am I serving here?” There were times when he considered leaving, but he wasn’t a fool. Doing so would only make things worse for himself and anyone he loved, which meant Adrian would be in danger too. “Where is my place?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 6:02:17 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
'I'm not a murderer, Gavin.'

For a moment, Gavin looks older than his thirty-three years.

Age settles heavily in tired eyes. "Neither was I."

Slowly, he pushes up the sleeves of his shirt. The scars that mark his skin are rough, jagged, suggesting a long healing process and lack of proper medical attention. He'd patched most of them up himself, with shaking hands in a dingy Saffron apartment.

"My first day in Rocket, they ordered me to kill a man. Him or me. I couldn't tell you how many people I've killed since, because I've lost count. I didn't ask you to do the same, because I don't want Rocket to be what it was to me, at first."

It had been a prison cell, a life sentence.

"I'll tell you what I told you before our mission: I can't guarantee there'll never be blood on your hands. But I can guarantee I'll never ask you to kill anyone who stands aside. I'll never ask you to kill at all, if I can help it. I could've kidnapped you and tortured the information I wanted out of you. They've taught me how." He turns the palm of his left hand up, reveals a scar that splits his palm. When he closes his hand, there is a stiffness to the movement. "But I didn't, because I want Rocket to be different. I've found my home, here. My family — because our dad was a piece of shit, Rowan, and you didn't miss out. These ones were his." He runs his fingers over his left forearm, old scars covered in tattoo ink. "Rocket's not good. I'm not good; I am a murderer. But I'm going to make it better than it was, for as long as Walsh lets me."

He feels empathy, for Rowan — for someone who'd been like him, and stepped into a world he wasn't prepared to face.

"Your place is here, now, I'm afraid."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 7:00:39 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Rowan moves a hand to push up his own sleeve when Gavin shows off his scars, revealing a faded set of his own on the underside of his forearm. These marks weren’t haphazard or random, each one intentionally made one after the other. “At least we have something in common.” The underboss would be able to tell these were self-inflicted, though likely the result of the suffering caused at the hands of his own father. “I’ve seen some horrible things so far since joining Rocket, but none of them were as bad as the stories i’ve been told about what went down in Kanto.” Rowan lowered his sleeve, preferring to keep the scars of his unfortunate past covered.

“You’re going in the right direction, I do believe that.” Amber eyes met with those of his brother, a softness to them that replaced the resentment from only minutes before. “I believe in you, Gavin.” He paused for a moment, looking towards the ground. “I don’t believe in myself, though. Even though my place is here now, I’m not strong enough to belong…how long until i’m a loose end that needs to be cut free?”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 8:20:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin frowns at the even, methodical scars. It's a moment before it clicks.

His gaze shifts from the scars to 's eyes of familiar amber.

"Kanto was horrible. Blackwell was horrible."

Rocket had been horrible; under their influence, Gavin had done many horrible things.

"They've trained me well, but I've never forgotten that."

Gavin's gaze softens similarly as Rowan looks him in the eye. To be believed in — it wasn't the first time he'd heard the words, but it meant no less than all the others. They kept him tethered to the last scraps of humanity he hoped not to lose.

"I was weak, once. How old are you, like twenty? That's how old I was when they got a hold of me. They've helped me get stronger, and I can help you. Stay loyal to me, Rowan, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure you survive."

He thinks of .
Stay with me and you'll be safe.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 9:29:09 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Yeah, I just turned twenty.” Others had accomplished more at his age, which is why Rowan didn’t feel entirely at ease with using his youth as an excuse. “I want to become stronger, I want to become an avatar and stop running from those that want me in chains. I’m tired of running because i’m too weak to fight back.” Rowan looked towards his hands, seeing how smooth and untouched they were by the harsh nature of life, coddled even in his misery. “They should be running from me, afraid of me.”

A sigh escaped his lips, unsure that he’d ever be in the same position as his older brother currently was. “I want to be where you are, to command strength at a mere gesture.” Rowan was of course referring to the miasma that Gavin had created in the Seafloor Cavern, a boon of his avatarship. “There is no guarantee i’ll ever get that strength for my own, though.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 9:44:30 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
In , Gavin sees himself.

Though now his hands were marked with scars, once they had been smooth, untouched by hard work or the hard lessons Rocket had since taught. He hopes Rowan will find strength without the scars to mark his path.

"They will be," he vows. "We'll make them fear you."

He shakes his head.

"No guarantee, but avatarship is not the only way to command strength. Have you met our Beasts? None of them are avatars, but I wouldn't want to meet one on a bad day."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 24, 2021 6:37:36 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Beasts?” Rowan was aware of the enforcers of Rocket, though he didn’t know that none of them were avatars. Perhaps he assumed that being one of these chosen was the epitome of strength, and that others only paled in comparison. “I’ve met Oscar before, on the mission at the Cave of Origin.” There hadn’t been much opportunity to observe them in the heat of combat, but he remembered Oscar possessing a strange and powerful Pokemon he’d never seen before.

“Haven’t met any of the others, though.” In fact he wasn’t sure of the identity of the others, never really having asked before. “I don’t think I could ever be as powerful as one of them on my own.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 24, 2021 8:57:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Yes," he says, nodding encouragement. "Clayton is one of our Beasts. One of our best soldiers."

There's a note of pride in Gavin's tone. Though it had been Emma to oversee much of 's training, Gavin was not without stakes in the other. He was one of their most trusted members.

"You'll meet them soon enough, I'm sure." Quietly, Gavin hopes that the circumstances are fortunate. He offers a sharp shake of his head. "Mindset is half of it, Rowan; you have to believe in your capacity for strength, even if it's not something you currently possess. Power is not innate. Power is something you seize."

There's a subtle fire in his tone, stoked by the subject of power.

"And I will help you take it."

He sets three pokeballs on the desk between them, gestures.