Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
It's a long way forward, so trust in me.
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 3:06:54 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Fluorescent lights illuminated the path before Rowan, leading him along towards the section of the ship that contained the High Offices, summoned by none other than . Trepidation that was seated in the pit of his stomach only grew with each step, unable to find even a modicum of comfort in the brightly lit atmosphere. Rowan didn’t have any illusions of a happy ending, there was nothing to celebrate, nothing for which to congratulate him. While he didn’t know what Gavin intended to speak about, there was no doubt it wasn’t going to be pleasant. “Fuck…” A dizzying sensation overcame him as he drew close, having to brace against the nearby wall to avoid falling.

“...Get it together.” Rowan goaded himself, pushing off the vessel wall and continuing towards the office marked for Gavin Merlino. Three solid knocks preceded his entry into the room, closing the door behind and taking a seat at one of the chairs opposite their desk. “You wanted to see me?” Fear had been masked with a facade of bravery, as though this was nothing more than an everyday conversation, though the screams persisted internally.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 5:58:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He's shaking. In times like these, he craves cigarettes the most.

In the privacy of his office, where there is neither sound nor interruption, Gavin buries his head in his hands and struggles to breathe.

We won't just kill you if you betray us.

How deep did that poison go? Did Walsh subscribe to the methods of Gavin's mentors? Would they hesitate to cull an underboss for the sins of a grunt? It was not only death Gavin feared; Rocket could deliver a fate worse than death, he knew. He'd seen it in the scars of , both those he bore and those he had inflicted.

Your family, and once that had only been , but now—

By the time opens the door, Gavin is placid and unreadable. The door shimmers as it locks, and the back of Gavin's neck prickles.

"How are you finding Rocket, Rowan?"
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 17:21:51 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

An eyebrow raised in response to their question, curious as to where this was going. “Well, since joining I've been shot, thrown around like a human ragdoll and impaled through the leg by a stalagmite.” A soft shrug lifted his shoulders, leaning back in the chair slightly to cross one leg over the other. “So, not much different than boarding school, I guess.” There was obviously more to his transition into the criminal underworld than that, but Rowan honestly couldn’t tell the tone of this conversation, instead attempting to keep it light to help mask his anxiety.

“I’ve met quite a few...interesting people, including some I knew by their civilian persona.” Meeting Chu-e Choi as Ji-hoon came to mind first, having run into them at Meteor Falls and witnessing the Underboss unceremoniously chewing on fossil pieces before running away. “Most importantly, I don’t have to worry as much about running from the League anymore. I’ve gotten stronger here and have a sanctuary whenever I need it.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 6:31:35 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
How much better would he have fared, in the beginning, if he'd utilized humour as has quickly learned to do? The thought is absent, unwanted, and quickly pushed away.

There's a flicker in Gavin's expression when Rowan mentions civilian personas; it's unrecognizable as any one emotion, and gone as quick as it had appeared.

"Who?" he wonders, curious.

But it's the last statement that drives the knife in deep, a sharp reminder of why they're here. Rocket had become Gavin's sanctuary, too. His family. And just like the family he'd left back in Galar, many wouldn't hesitate to turn and eat their own.

"But you know how dangerous it is, here?" His tone turns grave with the prompting. "How important it is to remain loyal?"
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 23:03:19 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Underboss Choi. We met at Meteor Falls about a month ago, though he was going by Ji-hoon at the time.” Rowan decided to omit the detail about them eating bits of meteorite and fossil, figuring that would assume this was some sort of falsehood from how ridiculous it sounded. “I didn’t have any inclination that he was Rocket, let alone a criminal.” That was the more diplomatic way of putting it, at least.

“I do, undoubtedly.” Rowan began, amber eyes locking with Gavin’s own as he recognized the importance of this question. “Loyalty is what keeps an organization like this intact, untouched by those who seek to destroy us.” He knew the question of his loyalty would come up at some point, and he’d prepared a more eloquent statement for when that time came. “Rooting out and eliminating those who betray Rocket is necessary not only to ensure that others don’t do the same, but also to keep those who rely on us safe…” A pause, slight hesitation before finishing his sentence. “...like myself.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 14, 2021 1:01:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
If he hadn't been so tense, he might've chuckled. Instead, he only nods.

"Mr. Ki is very good at what he does." Who would suspect the frail, rock-licking, cat collecting man to be the underboss of a criminal empire as far reaching as Rocket? "But even he's dangerous. One of the Beasts, in Kanto days."

Though was new to Rocket, Gavin trusts he'll know exactly what that means. The Beasts were infamous for their crimes against the destroyed region of Kanto; it had doubtless been all over the news.

He draws a deep, steadying breath at Rowan's answer.

"Good," he says, then quieter, repeats it. "Good."

We won't just kill you if you betray us.

"Tell me about your father, Rowan. What was he like?"
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 14, 2021 6:00:12 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“My father?” Rowan raised an eyebrow, unsure of what the relevance was to their current conversation and to why he’d been summoned. “He was your quintessential wealthy asshole, always had enough time for business trips with his revolving door of secretaries but not enough for his family.” It was obvious that the detest for his father ran deep, disgust on Rowan’s voice not being disguised in the least bit. “Married my mother for a business merger, much like they intended to have me do. Wasn’t even the heir to the Wrynn fortune but acted like he was because he was the ‘man’ of the family.”

His eyes rolled with the end of the sentence, adding emphasis to his sentiment. “If you can’t tell, I hated the man. Never wanted me to be myself, always forced the ideal that he wanted upon me. When I misbehaved, he’d shove me in a closet and lock the door until I learned my lesson.” Rowan wouldn’t admit this to Gavin, but these incidents were what rooted the seed of intense claustrophobia within him, the greatest of his fears. Curiosity got the best of him, and he couldn’t help but inquire. “Why are you asking?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 14, 2021 23:18:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The question holds weight, and Gavin half expects will refuse to answer. He would, were their roles reversed.

But he is given an answer, and detail besides, that paints a picture Gavin can recreate upon the canvas of his mind. It's as if he's seen it before, in different colours and shapes but familiar all the same.

His lips purse at the mention of a closet.

He sighs, heavy.

"I have reason to believe he's not your father after all."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 14, 2021 23:43:38 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I’m sorry, what?” What the hell were they talking about? Rowan’s ancestry had never been called into question before now, and he wasn’t certain how to approach these sudden claims. “What do you mean he’s not my father?” Being told something you believed to be true your entire life was nothing more than a lie was enough to send anyone into a frenzy of confusion and frustration, and Rowan was no exception.

“H-how do you know?” A hand reached up to tuck some loose strands of hair behind his ear, for a moment considering that this may be some strange dream from which he wasn’t able to wake. “Who is, then?” A number of questions presented to at once, but he wasn’t about to let up until he had the answers he was looking for.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 15, 2021 0:54:13 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He's patient with 's confusion. Gavin has had hours, alone, to process the information that Wrynn is expected to parse within minutes.

A folder lands on the desk between them with a resounding smack.

Inside, a man bearing an uncanny resemblance to Gavin Merlino stares from a photograph with eyes of cold, familiar amber. The smile on his lips does not reach them. It is a viper's smile, befitting of a man who'd raised Rocket's underboss.

"Thomas Quinn. You heard of the Quinns?"

Gavin's presence is oppressive as he leans forward in his chair.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 15, 2021 22:50:48 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

As the picture was placed in front of Rowan, his gaze finally shifted away from Gavin towards the image. “Thomas Quinn…” A name he’d heard before from functions that he’d attended with his family from an early age, as well as occasionally uttered around the home. “I’ve heard of them a few times, wealthy and influential. The Quinns were usually in the same social circle as my family, and attended the same bougey events around Galar.” Rowan searched desperately for some sort of resemblance to himself within the picture, becoming fixated on the eyes of Thomas Quinn.

“I...can’t believe this.” Rowan clutched his knees with both hands, fingers digging into the fabric and creating pressure against his skin. “Are you sure?” He didn’t expect to lie about something so important, but he needed to be certain this was the truth. “How did you...even find this out?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 16, 2021 9:34:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
As studies the photograph, Gavin studies his eyes — allows himself to see what he hadn't before. There's a different shape to them, the mother's influence no doubt, but their colour is a striking resemblance to his own.

To their father's.

"He was a bloody prick, so you didn't miss out."

It's the hint before the bomb is dropped, before Gavin sets another file on the table: his own. It's him in the pictures, but there's a different name ascribed.

Cillian Quinn. Status? Deceased.

"I'm sure. Got flagged as a match when they took your blood in the med-bay."

He smooths back his bangs with a surprisingly steady hand, sighs.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 17, 2021 3:38:55 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“How do you…?” Rowan’s sentence was cut short as Gavin placed the document before him, immediately recognizing the picture as that of the Underboss. “Cillian...Quinn?” Though the name wasn’t familiar, he couldn’t deny that this document was detailing the former life of Gavin Merlino, declared dead by official record. Their hands might have been steady, but Rowan couldn’t stop the shaking in his own as he flipped the pages over one by one, pouring over the details as quickly as his mind could register the information. “I can’t…” Words trailed off of his own volition this time, unable to find the right ones that were appropriate for this moment.

Rowan found himself drawn to the same line over and over again on the page, detailing Thomas Quinn as the father of Cillian Quinn, now known to be . “Does this mean what I think it means?” It wasn’t enough that he was given the sudden realization that his father wasn’t who he thought they were, but now he had a sibling in the man he looked up to as a mentor within Team Rocket? “This isn’t some...fucked up test, right?” Denial, it was the first step on the path to acceptance.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 17, 2021 5:59:08 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's strange, to hear the name spoken aloud by someone other than .

"It's not a test, no."

Do you have any family? More than he'd realized.

"It means we're brothers, Rowan. Congratulations."

There is no disgust targeted toward the man across from him, but neither does Gavin seem casual. There's a tension in the room all too easy to identify if were to pay it mind, a stiffness to Gavin's movements as he closes the file.

"That name never leaves this room."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Sanguine Ties [M]
POSTED ON May 17, 2021 22:48:53 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

"It means we're brothers, Rowan. Congratulations." The phrase was almost enough to elicit laughter from Rowan, the mere concept ridiculous enough to be found humorous. Serendipity seemed to have a sense of humor of her own, bringing him thousands of miles away from his home to join a criminal organization whose underboss happened to be his estranged sibling from an affair his mother had with their father. Perhaps it wasn’t Serendipity at all, but instead her brother Misfortune that made him their plaything, though that remained yet to be seen. “I...don’t know what to say.”

What was there to say? Rowan had unknowingly been living a falsehood his entire life, and that illusion had just been shattered. Should he be happy that he has an extended family? The look on ‘s face told Rowan that this wasn’t a heartwarming moment, and their tone was anything but friendly. “I understand.” Cillian Quinn was marked as deceased for a reason, and that seemed to be important to remain that way. “What now?”