Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Old Faces, New Country [m] [past]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2022 1:11:05 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
June 2019

The noon sun found Zev snaking his way through the streets of a bustling Slateport City. Even in the heat of early summer, he dressed in a jacket and dark jeans, nondescript clothing that let him blend in with the unsuspecting crowds. Under his jacket, though, he wore his gun in its shoulder holster; in his pocket, he carried a switchblade. Not that he hoped to need them that day, but he had not survived six years in his profession by being careless.

Zev paused on a corner where two streets intersected. A pack of barefoot children raced past him, laughing and screeching. From underneath the tattered awning of a tiny storefront, a beggar reached out his hand for charity. Across the street, a middle-aged woman sweeping the sidewalk watched him with suspicion. Zev ignored them all. Reaching into a different pocket, he extracted a folded piece of paper and reexamined the hand-drawn map of the neighborhood through which he traversed. Below it, he'd written down an address he'd received two days earlier in an anonymous message.

The address to 's apartment.

How fitting that of all the people he would meet in Hoenn, the first important contact was an old one from Kanto.

After reorienting himself with the map, Zev turned left down the other road, a smaller one not quite narrow enough to be an alley, and soon located the building he sought. He climbed the stairs at an easy pace, not rushing. There was no need to rush. Gavin was no one special — a colleague at best, though Zev was willing to change that if he needed to. He had to admit that he was a stranger in an unfamiliar land, with no other connections. If he was going to find Caleb, he would need all the help he could get.

In no time, Zev found himself outside the indicated door. He took a moment to observe the hallway. A woman screamed at her husband two doors down. A child cried in the apartment at the far end of the corridor. No doors were open ajar from what he could see. No flash of a gun's muzzle or the sound of a hammer being cocked between the irrelevant shouts.

Raising a fist, Zev knocked on Gavin's door.

NOTES
+ Mission: Recruitment: Act I
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 7:09:17 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
This part of Slateport has never felt safe. Even during the height of Rocket's brief occupation of Hoenn's heart, the outskirts to which Gavin's financial struggles have confined him were rife with danger. He was only a grunt, here, a nobody without the protection of his squad in Kanto, so if someone in their upper brass decided that what meager possessions he owned might look better in their own pocket, there wasn't much he could do. Double-bolting the shoddy, weatherworn front door would only offer so much protection.

Now, with Rocket scattered to the far corners of the region with no leadership to guide them, he's a fugitive of the law. If someone wronged him now, broke into his apartment or jumped him in the alley between buildings, what could he do about it? He couldn't go to the cops. He was still saving up for a proper civilian alias that might allow him to roam the streets in safety.

So in spite of the knowledge that he'd anonymously provided his address upon hearing that another Rocket agent from Kanto was putting out feelers, he does not immediately open the door.

He pats his pocket, assuring the presence of his knife. He draws his pistol, holding it steady as he squints through the clouded peephole.

Zev.

Recognition is instant, but not much of a relief. He had a lot of respect for the other in Kanto, but would that mean anything now? What if this was Kanto sending their soldiers to clean up Blackwell's mess? The infamous Black Hand was a hitman.

It's a testament to his Rocket training that his hands don't shake as he disengages the bolts, the lock, and opens the door.

"Come in, quick."

He's not pointing the gun, but it remains drawn at his side. Just in case.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 10:34:24 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Gavin looked like shit. The last time Zev had seen the other man, back in Kanto, Gavin had been decisive, self-assured, alert — a Rocket grunt determined to climb the ranks of power within the organization. The Gavin in that apartment, on the other hand, looked at Zev with the keen paranoia of a hunted man. It was an expression with which he was all too familiar.

"Relax," Zev said as he stepped into the apartment, glancing down at the pistol in Gavin's hand. "I'm not here to kill you."

Second nature prompted him to scan the apartment upon entering. He made a mental note of all the available exits, all places of cover, and planned what he would do should Gavin point the gun at him. The residence itself was cramped, its furniture and decorations minimal. The physical manifestation of a young man struggling to keep his head above water.

Zev sat himself down in a chair by what he assumed was Gavin's kitchen table and, in a show of good faith, removed his own gun from its holster. He set it down on the table, followed by the switchblade from his pocket. Then he held up his empty hands at Gavin, as if to say, I'm unarmed now.

"It's been a while, Gavin. How are things in Hoenn?" Zev asked, lowering his hands to rest them in his lap. "I got here a couple of weeks ago and struggled to get in touch with anybody. That's unusual for Rocket. Catch me up."

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 13:52:53 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Can never be too careful," Gavin grunts.

Still, when Zev places his pistol and knife on the kitchen table, Gavin follows suit with his own gun and the knife in his pocket. He does not disarm himself of the knife in his boot; trust could only extend so far.

Jerking his head toward the balcony door, he says, "Only other viable exit is the fire escape."

He'd seen the sweep, and knew it well. He, too, performed a similar examination of each location he entered. It was important to understand one's vulnerabilities in any situation, even simply going out for dinner.

You could, as he'd said, never be too careful.

He doesn't know.

Amber eyes widen a little, and Gavin licks his lips before recovering from the surprise.

"Blackwell's dead." They're alone in his tiny apartment, yet Gavin whispers the man's name as if he might manifest from the shadows. "There's whispers Rocket turned on him, but I don't—" He shakes his head, brows knitting. "I don't know, but everyone's scattered. We had the city for a while but the League moved in once he was killed and..."

He trails off, making a vague motion with his hand.

"I've kept in touch with whoever I could. The ones who haven't gone dark." Silas Blackwell had been a psychopathic tyrant; many in Rocket were glad to be free of him and the organization both. It was Gavin's chance at freedom, but conditioning in Kanto saw his loyalties bound to the organization for good or ill. He had nowhere else to go, here. No one else to rely on. "There's whispers about reforming, but I haven't heard anything solid yet."

His eyes dart to the exits, as if assuring himself they're still there.

"Thought at first you'd been sent over from Kanto to clean up the mess."

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 14:47:55 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Whatever it was Zev expected to hear, it was not news of the death of Silas Blackwell or the disbandment of Rocket in Hoenn. He listened with his lips pulled into a grim line and his brow furrowed slightly. While Zev had no particular allegiance to the organization, they kept him employed and well paid. And even if the League were to change their tune and start hiring assassins and hitmen for their dirty work, recent personal matters meant that option was nonnegotiable.

Zev recovered from his own surprise quickly enough.

"No, I'm here for personal reasons," he admitted. He and Gavin might have only been acquaintances, but he admired the man's professionalism and discretion. They were similar in that way, two well-made tools of like design for Rocket's use. Zev could be honest in that moment.

And if what Gavin said was true, Zev could not rely on Rocket in Hoenn the same way he had relied on them in Kanto. The administration there clearly had no power so far afield, though he was sure Gavin was right about one thing: they would be sending people over soon — if they hadn't started already.

No, Zev would have to reply on what resources were available. He looked carefully at Gavin and made a critical choice.

"Have you heard anything about Caleb over here? The League has him. I need to find him."

His little brother. A member of Rocket's secret police back in Kanto. Zev followed Caleb's trail from there to Hoenn over the past few weeks after discovering the kidnapping. He had every intention of rescuing Caleb and bringing him back home.

(What Zev didn't know — or didn't want to admit in his arrogance — was that the League never kidnapped Caleb. He'd deserted. And he had no intention of going back.)

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 21:29:52 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"They have him?" Surprise mingles with concern in his tone. "Like, in jail?"

That was not good. See, an imprisoned Rocket was almost as bad as a deserter in the eyes of some — a prisoner might talk, and someone who might've talked was no longer of use to the organization. Gavin has twice known the primal fear of imprisonment. Once in Kanto, and once here, in Hoenn, when had dredged up memories from the deep. Tasting saltwater in the back of his throat, Gavin swallows, a minute shake of his head seeking to clear unwanted memories.

There's nothing I can do.

He hates feeling so powerless. Years of conditioning have doused the fires of his ambitions, but deep within him still exists that need for control.

Well. Perhaps he can do something — he can keep a secret.

"I won't tell a soul," he vows, solemn, "and I'll keep an ear out."

They were not friends, but respect had a lot of weight in Gavin's books.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 22:11:29 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
A wave of disappointment and frustration washed through Zev at Gavin's reaction to the news. He doesn't know. The black-haired man sighed and glanced around the apartment again, as if seeing it from another angle would unearth the answers he so desperately sought. He kept Gavin in the corner of his eye, however.

"He was investigating a dissident cell back home, going undercover and getting close with secret League sympathizers," Zev explained. "His squad successfully rooted out and executed the local group, but I have reason to believe League agents seized him in retaliation a year later. His sudden disappearance makes no sense otherwise."

Zev wasn't certain why he bothered to share all that information. All that mattered was getting Caleb back before either the League or Rocket killed him, the former as punishment for crimes he had committed and the latter for getting caught in the first place. So when Gavin promised secrecy, the frustration within Zev gave way to a rare feeling of gratitude.

He actually smiled. It was enough to pass for a smile, at any rate; it was neither friendly nor warm, but it was sincere, for once.

"Thanks. I'll be in Hoenn until I find him. Maybe I'll even set up shop in Slateport. This city is as good as any."

Then he paused to choose his next words carefully. He needed to be convincing in his intentions: to work with Gavin, not use him.

Zev looked Gavin in the eye and said with equal solemnity, "Listen. Based on what you've told me already, it's not going to be easy getting work out here — for either of us. I know I usually operate alone, but it doesn't sound like that's a good option right now. Not for people like us." Not for Rocket. "What do you say?"

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 22, 2022 18:48:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
There is, perhaps, another way that might make sense of 's sudden disappearance from Rocket's radar... but Gavin won't voice it, and indeed barely entertains it with a passing thought. If treachery felt like a possibility, surely Zev would have said as much.

So, in assuming against ignorance, he maintains the idea that the League have captured one of their agents. That wasn't good. Even if they could get him back, Rocket weren't the most sympathetic to those who'd been held in custody for too long. Torture someone long enough, or make the right promises, you never knew who would crack.

"How long's he been missing?"

The question alone betrays his concerns, even if Gavin's expression is stoic.

It does falter somewhat under the intensity that Zev levels him with, surprise leaking through the mask before it settles into neutrality. There's a hint of warmth, a byproduct of Gavin's empathy, as he recognizes the trust that the other has placed in him.

People like us. Because Rocket's disbandment didn't make Gavin any less of a war criminal.

He nods, solemn so as not to seem too eager.

"That's a good idea, yes. I can give you the contacts I've managed to keep, too."

In time, though he doesn't know it, those contacts will be the ones to bring him into the fold of .

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jul 22, 2022 23:24:45 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
At Gavin's question, Zev rubbed his face, thinking back. It had only taken him a few days to locate and interrogate the right people to figure out Caleb's trail led to Hoenn. After that, the trip from Kanto to Hoenn had only taken a day or so.

"No more than three weeks, if my intel is right," Zev replied.

He'd heard the concern in Gavin's words, though. Concern that Caleb was as good as dead, if not already buried in a shallow grave somewhere in Hoenn's hinterland.

No. That couldn't be true. Caleb had to be alive.

Zev nodded back at Gavin when the other man agreed to work together. "Great. And I'll reach out to you about any jobs I take on. Once I get myself an apartment, I'll let you know where it is."

The hitman stood and collected his weapons, putting them away and out of sight. He'd done what he'd intended to do. Linger any longer and he'd be outstaying his welcome, at least for that first meeting. Zev crossed the room toward the front door but paused when he reached it. He looked back over his shoulder at Gavin.

"We'll keep in touch," he said in farewell.

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2022 14:48:12 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Three weeks.

It was a long time to be imprisoned. Would the League resort to torture, as Rocket did? Yes, if rumors among his criminal colleagues were to be believed, but Gavin's never been in League custody long enough to find out. Still. Caleb was with Rocket's secret police. Surely if anyone was trained to withstand interrogation tactics, it would be him. Maybe there was hope yet. For Zev's sake, Gavin wills it to be true; he hasn't spoken to his sister since they'd clashed in Kanto and he'd driven her off, but he'd be devastated to learn something had happened to her all the same.

Gavin nods as Zev mentions getting an apartment.

"Avoid this area, if you can." His lip quirks with a humorless smile. "It's a shithole."

So when Zev departs, Gavin gets up to double-bolt the door and engage the lock, his only line of defense against potential intruders.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,978 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2022 7:38:18 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(REPEAT)