Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
This Round's on Me [m] [past]
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2022 19:14:48 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
April 2020.

Zev stood behind the bar at Howling at the Moon, drying clean glasses with a towel before racking them under the counter. The venue had only opened a couple of weeks ago, and a steady flow of customers made their way in throughout the night, though not as much as he would have liked. Thankfully, he'd opened the place as a restaurant, too, serving dinner from 5pm to 9pm. It was enough for the time being. And he had to be patient.

At that moment, only a handful of customers remained in the bar. It was after midnight, and the bar would be closing in forty-five minutes. The kitchen had already closed, and the cooks had gone home. These last stragglers, these lonely men and women, would have to leave eventually. And then Zev could retire to his apartment, where he'd check his emails for any new assassination contracts.

The door to Howling opened and a familiar man entered. Zev smiled at him in greeting as he approached the bar.

"Welcome to Howling at the Moon," he said in a light, friendly tone, the one he practiced in front of the mirror at home. "What can I get you?"

NOTES
+ Mission: Recruitment: Act II
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2022 19:49:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Though Gavin has previously scouted the bar from the outside, he's not yet stepped foot inside the establishment. Tonight marks the exception, the lithe blond stepping through the doors just as a young couple is leaving. Drunk and giddy, they pay him no mind, nor do the other patrons. He is quiet and unassuming as he approaches the bar.

The I.D. he flashes, brief, is for one Patrick Cavalli. His League identity, provided to him by one at Zev's recommendation. With Rocket's gradual disappearance from Hoenn's radar, he too has gone to ground.

"Whiskey, neat." Softer, that only Zev might here. "Back room available?"

He's here for business as well as pleasure.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2022 22:15:10 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[attr="class","zevthread"]
"Sure is," Zev replied amiably, grabbing a bottle of whiskey from the shelf behind him and pouring not one but two glasses of it. Neat, as requested. He slid one to Gavin and kept the other one in hand.

After signaling to his co-bartender to take over, Zev led Gavin down a hallway, through a door marked "employees only," and into a smaller room with similar decoration as the front of the bar. The main ceiling light shone on a table and chairs in the middle of the room. Zev sat in one of the chairs and took a sip of the whiskey.

"We can speak freely here," he told Gavin, his facade falling away now that they were alone. The affable personality has gone, replaced by a professionalism underscored by a familiarity with the other man. "This is where I'll take visitors to discuss contracts and all that. There's a hidden cellar underneath, too, for any smuggling. And you can exit out the back door if you need."

He gestured to the plain, unmarked door that led to the alley behind Howling.

Zev sipped his whiskey and flashed Gavin his usual empty smile. "So, what brings you to my bar?"

NOTES
[newclass=.zevthread b]color:#975fb2[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 19:38:11 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin takes a delicate sip of the whiskey, relishing the burn in his throat. He takes the glass with him as he follows Zev down a back hallway and into a room that seems to strip the façade from Harcourt's face.

Good. He feels more comfortable with the assassin's truth.

His gaze flicks to the indicated door, then back Zev. "I came to discuss the contract." There's little doubt as to which contract Gavin refers to; on his last visit with the other, he'd only solidified the one. "We've heard no further activity from the mark. Might I assume he's been dealt with?"

The question seems to be mere formality, for Gavin lifts his drink in silent appreciation before knocking it back.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 0:05:21 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
"He has." Zev's tone carried a certainty that brooked no doubt. "I took care of the body, too. Found a Muk and some Grimers in the Outskirts and dropped the corpse with them. It's liquefied by now."

He assumed the details would not disturb Gavin. Both men saw worse in Kanto.

"Next time, I'll send you the photos as proof." Over the course of his career, Zev had developed the habit of taking photos of his dead marks before disposing of their bodies. He sent those photos to clients; proof ensured payment. Not sending photos of his most recent target to Gavin was a misstep, a slip due to his fellowship with the other man. A mistake Zev wouldn't repeat.

The assassin took another sip from his glass. "Did you find what you were looking for among his things? In his hideout?"

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 21:08:08 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's stomach turns at the thought of the victim's liquefied remains, but no trace of his discomfort shows on his face. He's seen worse in Kanto, done worse in Kanto, and if Rocket have taught him anything it's how to mask.

So there he sits, by all accounts the picture of a cold-blooded monster, and dips his head.

"You have my trust," he says with a flick of his wrist, "but our associates... well, you know how cagey they are after Blackwell."

There was a lack of trust among the criminal underbelly after Rocket had betrayed their leader, but what other choice did they have? Follow him down into madness and crumble from the inside out? No. Those who'd made the decision to bring him down had made the right one.

"He was smart enough not to leave much, but there was an encrypted flash drive on the floor of the hideout." They'd been careless, likely dropping it as they fled. "We were able to put out the fires before they reached it. Intel's working on it now."

As he was best friends with , Gavin has faith in him, too.

"Should we find any more names, they'll be added to the list." A list of traitors. A frown touches the edge of his lips; brief, but visible to the perceptive eye. "Your brother was on the list."

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2022 21:20:17 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Zev nodded through Gavin's explanations, appearing almost bored as he listened. When Gavin mentioned 'your brother', however, Zev's entire demeanor changed. Everything about his expression sharpened in an instant, from the lines of his face to the gaze that fell upon the man seated opposite him.

"What do you mean, 'he was on the list'?" Zev demanded, his voice low.

Almost a year had passed since Zev followed his brother's trail out of Kanto and into Hoenn, where it ran cold. Nothing had indicated that Caleb had left the region, either; it was as if Caleb had simply disappeared into thin air. Which was impossible, of course. Zev had assumed Caleb was merely in League custody. There was no other plausible explanation.

But the more time passed, the less likely Caleb was still in one place (or on piece), and the more restless Zev grew.

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2022 8:14:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's eyes narrow at the demanding note in Zev's tone, muscles tensing around the empty glass he still holds as if preparing for a fight. Instinct response. After pursing his lips together, Gavin seems to overcome whatever surge of emotion claimed him.

"Was," he repeats, deliberate. "I took his name off."

He wasn't supposed to do such things lightly. He hasn't been underboss long; he has the trust of Cadis, but how many others might question the alteration to their hitlist so soon after assuming office? He'd taken that risk, however, because Zev was a friend. The other man was likely, in Gavin's assessment, sociopathic and unable of reciprocating the same genuine emotions felt by Gavin, but you didn't need emotions for loyalty. That was the part he cared about the most.

"It'll buy time until you can find him, and we figure out what he's been through." A hesitant pause, then, "Cadis is different than Blackwell. He can be reasoned with."

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2022 12:28:39 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Emotions rampaged through Zev in a sudden flood. Confusion and shock that Caleb's name would show up on any of Rocket's hitlists. Rage that Rocket would even assume he belonged there, as if he would ever betray them. (Betray Zev.) The man's hand tightened around his own glass of unfinished whiskey. His expression darkened and the line of his mouth pulled down into a scowl.

Finally, beneath those roiling emotions, gratitude. For Gavin.

Zev downed the rest of his liquor in one gulp. He slammed the glass down on the table, hard, but not enough to crack it.

"Thanks," he said tersely to Gavin. Despite his tone, he meant it.

Running his other hand through his hair, Zev looked away, fuming but without an outlet for his anger. "I owe you. If you ever need a favor…" He gestured vaguely. Any favor. Anything at all. "I'll do it for free."

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2022 10:31:57 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's muscles tense as Zev slams the glass down. A surreptitious glance is spared to the exit of the room, but it's only animalistic instinct that urges Gavin to flee. Logically, he understands that he's safe, and recovers with a deep pull of breath.

Some traumas never faded, no matter the years.

Nodding at the offered favour, he nevertheless assures him, "I didn't do it for that."

The rest is unspoken. I consider you an ally. Friendship might have been an impossibility with the other man, but loyalty was not. They'd had each others backs when Rocket had become an uncertainty.

"Have there been any new leads?" Somehow, he doubts.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2022 16:31:51 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
"I didn't do it for that."

Zev understood the meaning behind Gavin's words. Though Zev knew, in technical terms, the concept of friendship, he didn't get it. But he trusted the other man more than anyone else in that region — certainly more than anyone else in Team Rocket. Gavin was not just useful; he was dependable, constant, discreet, and efficient. That was exactly what Zev liked in people.

Gavin was as close to a friend as Zev would ever know. It was enough.

"Nothing," the hitman admitted, his frustration transferring to a new cause. "I finally managed to get my hands on Dewford Prison's inmate record. No sign of him there, either."

It had taken a while to obtain and had cost quite a bit of money, and it had all been worthless.

"That's most prisons in Hoenn crossed off the list." Zev sighed. "Now that you're an admin, do you know of any… I don't know, hidden locations the League might hold people? Places off the radar or dismissed as rumor?"

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 9:36:51 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
That isn't good. But Gavin doesn't waste breath on stating the obvious aloud; Zev knew as well as he did, and it wasn't a stretch to imagine he didn't want to be beaten over the head with the reality.

Instead, Gavin latches onto the hint of something actionable.

"It's not something I've had to look into yet, but I can." His duties have been a lot of damage control, so far, and not a lot of delving into secrets. "A friend of mine has taken up intel. If something can be found, he'll find it."

Gavin tilts his head, considering. "He may ask why I'm looking into it. How much do you want others involved?"

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 11:41:41 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
The possibility of a new direction for their investigation brought calm and reassurance to Zev. He relaxed and sat back in his chair. They would find Caleb yet. It was not a lost cause.

"I'd rather not spread it around that a member of the Kanto secret police was captured, even if he was already on a list," Zev admitted to Gavin with a sigh. "But say what you need to say."

I trust you was the implicit meaning behind those words.

"I'll keep digging on my end. It's possible Seraphine knows something from all the people she's helped." He hadn't considered asking the forger before, but any avenue was worth exploring at that point. "I'll keep you posted."

NOTES
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2022 9:50:09 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin inclines his head, understanding. "I'll say as little as I can get away with. I trust Maeda. If I want to keep something quiet, I don't think he'll push." They'd been friends for a long time.

Zev's trust does not go unnoticed, nor unappreciated.

"That's a good thought," he agrees of . "Do keep me in the loop. I'll let you know what I find, if anything... and if Rocket requires your services again soon, I'll be in touch." They would. They always did. Even with Silas dead, Rocket had bloody business that needed taking care of. No better than Zev for that job.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,978 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Aug 25, 2022 7:20:03 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(REPEAT)