Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
FORTREE CITY | Aero Knot [Gym]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 0:00:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar

FORTREE CITY | Aero Knot | Difficulty: ★★★★☆☆

Josh had a lot of racing experience, going back years to when it was called the Devon Cup. That was when he was in Bronze Class, and was a teenager. Now, he was on the cusp of turning pro. Most of his unfulfilled reqs to claim that pro card were in aerial environments; racing in three dimensions was a real challenge for him. While 's Gym didn't exactly sport a traditional aerial race course, its aerial obstacle course that was one option for Badge-seekers.

Yes, he had retired from the Gym Challenge itself; he was not planning on entering Hoenn's Pokémon League with them. However, he wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to improve skills that he could apply to Rangering, and eventually the more serious League things he wanted to be involved in. Fortree's Gym featured three different challenges, and he wanted to take them all on!

When the receptionist called his name, they looked confused, asking Josh which of the three challenges he wanted to take on. Josh smiled and replied, "I thought my application was clear that I wanted to do all of them." He got a funny look before being told he had to pick only one. "I'll do the aerial obstacle course first, but I do want to do all three later on."

Gym staff directed Josh to the aerie where his challenge would start. Unsurprisingly, he had to take an elevator all the way to the roof to get there. Once he had arrived at his destination, he was less surprised. The entire Gym setup looked like a much more elaborate version of what he had at his own Minor League Gym. He felt bad closing challenges for the weekend; he pitied the secretary responsible for calling his challengers and rescheduling them all.

Once Josh had reached the course's main "runway", he summoned out his only Pokémon registered for the Gym, Bladestorm. The Skarmory let out a loud screech to make his presence known, Josh hopping aboard and ready to guide the armored bird for takeoff at the Leader's cue.

{WC: 350}
{PC: 1}

Non-Traditional Option 3: Aerial Obstacle Course

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 16:55:46 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

This Josh was lucky that the receptionist he’d encountered was Ethan, and not Claire when he came by for his Gym Challenge.

(Because while Ethan was on the nicer side of things, he couldn’t believe that the kid had the audacity to try all of the non-traditional Gym challenges in one go, so he had to ask which exact non-trad option he was going for so he could win the badge. That, and Claire would’ve chewed this poor kid’s ass out had she been the one he encountered that afternoon.)

Surprisingly, Alexei wasn’t around to show Josh #2 the place, because he himself was outside, getting ready with the obstacle course himself—

Circling up above him was the shadow of his Noivern, Fenrir. While normally for the non-traditional challenges he would ride either Gabriel (Salamence) or Kyouya (Braviary), he decided to take things in a different direction this time around.

He heard a familiar screeching noise—while it wasn’t his own Skarmory, the sound still sent shivers up his spine because there was one Skarmory he would perpetually be afraid of.

(Sorry, !)

“Well, that was fast,” he remarked as he whistled exactly once, watching as his Noivern came in for a landing close to where the Skarmory was raring to go.

“So you were the one the guys were talking about!” he exclaimed once he was closer. “Never would I encounter the day that someone would want to challenge all my non-trad courses in one go,” he added with a chuckle.

“You can do the other two later—after you prove yourself through this one! D’you need goggles? We’re going to be in the air a lot, so…”

Safety first, and all!

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,952 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 2:15:30 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Bladestorm's beak snapped shut with a loud metallic clang, a sign he was eager to chomp at the proverbial bit and get started. Josh, on the other hand, wanted to chat with the Leader for a bit before starting his challenge. "They all look so much fun to me, though!" he replied, chuckling alongside Alex. "Your course here is a way more elaborate version of my own Gym's aerial course, and as a semi-pro Pokémon racer, I appreciate the design. Can't wait to get in the sky!" His attention turned to Fenrir. "Your Noivern reminds me of Reverb, my own. I wanted to bring him here, but he's stuck in Hoennian customs." His mount clanged his beak together again. "Soon, Bladestorm! Soon," he reassured the Metal Menace.

"Looking forward to it! I just chose the aerial course first because it's the option I'm the most confident I'll do best at!" Josh's enthusiasm and overall level of hype was highly elevated, even accounting for his electric personality. He was going to be in his element. When offered a pair of goggles, Josh simply flicked his racing helmet's visor into the lower, "locked" position. "Nope, I came prepared for that too!" His voice was slightly muffled now, but was still perfectly understandable. "Bladestorm and I are ready to set a new course record!" The Skarmory certainly had the speed to back that claim up, but it really depended on what twists and turns Alex had planned.

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Bladestorm    Skarmory       Good

{WC: 245}
{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 19:35:11 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

He’d heard of the smaller circuit of gyms headed by , however they’d been changing so much, he hadn’t had the chance to visit one of them properly—well, now that the other had revealed that he was one of the mini-leaders, time to make this interesting, eh?

“Well, what do you know,” he mused with a grin on his face as he pocketed the extra pair of aviation goggles, before snapping his own down on his face. “You’re prepared.”

Just as he looked up, he then realized that the… oh boy, this was going to be interesting, because while normally he saved this obstacle for the very last, somehow the staff had decided to set this one up first—and the flickering, fwooshing noise was all the warning the other would get as the rings were set alight.

“I hope you can still hear me over that,” he continued as he raised his voice ever so slightly since the other’s voice was muffled behind the helmet.

“Four obstacles, the main goal: survive all of them in one piece. And seeing as how you cheeked Ethan—well, you’re getting the extra-special version of the entire thing!”

Because first up on the plate was aerial Circus Charlie, made even more complicated because the wind up above was already blowing so hard and causing the flaming rings to swing wildly.

“Can’t miss a single ring, and they’re all on fire! See you on the other side!”

With the loud whistle signaling the start of the challenge, it was on!

g2YiBFBf
Pt 1: aerial Circus Charlie; roll higher than the total of Alex’s roll to proceed ahead!

Should you roll lower…would you want to know what happens?

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,952 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 4:54:18 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I read up on your Gym before coming here," Josh retorted while smiled back, though much of his face probably could not be seen over his visor. He watched a series of rings rose up from the ground, some stretching almost all the way to the "top" of the aviary. "Yep, very similar to my own course. You should race me sometime! Might be fun!" he half-teased the Leader.

Those similarities ended when the numbered rings were set alight. Bladestorm flinched; while little gave the Metal Menace caution, fire was one of those things. Quite understandable for a Steel-type. Alex was making his challenge about as easy as Josh was his own for his challengers, and that was not very. This course, from what he saw, didn't have too many sharp turns; it was just contending with flying center through them.

That is, until the Leader mentioned Josh pissed off his secretary. As a result, Alex arranged for the difficulty of his challenge cranked up to the maximum: despite Josh possessing only one Hoenn League Badge, he was tasked with the same challenge as those with nine Badges!

Furthermore, the Leader had picked a tremendously windy day; as soon as the whistle blew and Bladestorm leaped into the air, both the Skarmory and rider could feel a turbulent crosswind buffeting them. It had to be around 30 knots, gusting to 40 knots. The only reason he had a smidge of confidence was his experience flying a family home from Mt. Pyre in even uglier weather conditions. Bladestorm's saddle would protect Josh from getting singed by heated metal, but it wouldn't protect him against the blazing rings being blown about by the wind. He tugged gently at the avian's reins, trying to make adjustments for both the crosswind and the rings that moved at the mercy of the strong winds.

6oRRSXgB

{WC: 309}
{PC: 2}·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 13:51:00 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The wind was—actually blowing in both their favor, although with the other’s choice of a Skarmory, the weight was surely going to pose a problem.

Not only that, even the Skarmory’s typing would pose a similar dilemma because Steel-types and flames didn’t really go together. They never did.

(Just ask Valkyrie, his own Skarmory.)

As the winds picked up in intensity, he was glad that he’d chosen Fenrir to take on the challenge—because despite the Noivern’s unusual classification, Dragon-types generally had a better time handling flames—and so the first few flaming rings were cleared without issue.

On the little Josh’s end, however—

A strong updraft from behind would try to catch on the Skarmory’s tail feathers, and if he wasn’t fast enough to maneuver out of the way, then that may result in a pretty nasty burn—or at the very least, some singed hair.

Another strong gust of wind would then come barreling from the side, forcing the aerial trajectory to become even more unstable for both competitors in the air—as the Noivern sailed throughout the currents, ‘riding’ them like a surfer.

cCIAT8iG
Pt 1: aerial Circus Charlie; roll higher than the total of Alex’s roll to clear!

Should you roll lower…look out for the flames!

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,952 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2022 1:22:02 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While there was no lightning and hail to contend with at this course, the wind high up was absolutely ripping. It was strong enough that even Corviknight Taxis would avoid at all costs. If it were a much more timid Skarmory Josh was astride, he was sure there would be a lot more nerves running through both of them. Bladestorm was different, though. He was headstrong, fearless, and even a touch reckless.

A sudden updraft sent the two flying well above the level of the next two rings, Josh forced to lean forward on his mount to get him to shed altitude. This caused the steel-type to gain far more speed than Josh was comfortable with, given the relatively sharp turns required to fly through the rings in sequence. The turbulence had crossed well into the territory of "strong" by now.

Unlike his own aerial course, which allowed for the challenger to miss a certain number of rings nonconsecutively, Alex's did not allow Josh to stray from the intended flight path at all. As the wind shifted from a tailwind to a crosswind again, Josh knew he was going way too fast. He performed a daring maneuver, leaning Bladestorm in one direction and tugging on his reins in the other, pulling him into a side slip.

The advanced technique would create a lot of drag and rapidly slow Bladestorm and his rider down, fixing the timing issue the sudden wind shift caused and putting them on a course with the center of the next ring. The danger was in coming out of the side slip; because Skarmory were largely just efficient gliders and didn't have a lot of thrust in their metallic wingbeats, stalling after facing forward again was a real risk. The racer trusted his instincts and released the side slip as late as possible before flying toward the burning ring, following Fenrir at a safe distance.

|rdt2|7W

{WC: 318}
{PC: 3}·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 6:23:29 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

By the time he’d cleared the flaming rings, the wind had picked up in intensity and—

Where was he, anyway?

A few moments later revealed that—

“Well, you got lucky. Somehow. At least your Skarmory’s tail isn’t on fire,” he joked as the weather above changed from the muggy sort of afternoon to—something more threatening. More—challenging.

A few moments later a loud peal of thunder shook the area as a torrential downpour broke out above them—which would make the second obstacle rather interesting.

“Well, will you look at that,” he chuckled. “Near-zero visibility conditions—and no, I didn’t have anything to do with this!”

After all, there were no Pokémon influencing the weather, it was the natural environment that chose to literally bring hell down all around them.

“So originally this course was supposed to avoid the mud at all costs, but now the weather changed it substantially—do you see the bright red flag over there?” he pointed at the next marker. “Try not to get hit by the—“

Amid the downpour, there were bursts of dark amidst the water. Whether it was mud (or something else) would be up to the little Josh’s imagination.

“See you up ahead!”

With another burst of wind, he shot forward.

9F8ezson
Pt 2: obscuring muck; roll higher than the total of Alex’s roll to continue!

Should you roll lower…look out for the ‘mud’!

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,952 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 6:43:57 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Bladestorm had just barely cleared the last ring, Josh's skin singed from how close he had come to contacting its flames. They had made it through, and whilst avoiding a deadly stall at that! The Leader had come over on little Josh's comms unit. It seemed he had passed the ring course by the skin of his teeth. Taking a moment to catch his breath during the brief downtime, he didn't get much of a break before he realized it wasn't the facility that was driving the strong winds; it was Mother Nature.

The strong wind gusts were now sustained, accompanied by a precipitous temperature drop that signaled only one thing: he was about to be in his favorite element. He loved lightning, as was evidenced by his penchant for electric-type ride Pokémon. Unfortunately, the only electric-type ride Pokémon big and strong enough to carry him into the air was the Legendary Pokémon Zapdos, and that angry bird was not one particularly willing to wear a saddle.

Conditions were about to get really rough, Josh able to feel Bladestorm's hollow metal frame vibrating after a loud peal of thunder. He tightened his hold on the reins as large raindrops pounded the two of them. If he wasn't in his full racing suit, that rain would have hurt. A lot. He took advantage of the strong wind gusts to get his Skarmory back up to speed.

When the Leader pointed out a bright red flag in the distance, Josh had to squint to see it. He barely caught a glimpse of it before the rain got so heavy that it disappeared from view. Fixing his eyes on the spot where it was at, he kept the steel-type in as level of a flight path as possible, constantly tugging at the reins in one way or another to account for sudden changes in wind as well as the field of unidentifiable black objects the Leader asked him to weave around.

T2Kc6YkT

{WC: 331}
{PC: 4}·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 7:11:32 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The good thing about this was that Fenrir was accustomed to flying in weather most foul—a majority of Alexei’s Pokémon he took to the gym challenge were used to flying in weather most foul fowl.

The torrential downpour threw the original course into chaos, however to reciprocate for the weather turning out the way it did, the dark bursts of… ‘mud’ (it was definitely more than just mud at this point) began to rain upward from the ground.

Seeing as the wind was now banking the weather and causing the rain to blow in so many directions—a particularly large splotch of ‘mud’ came racing up towards the little Josh, and for a few moments, the view turned to absolute zero.

The weather really didn’t mess around!

Over where Alexei was flying on the back of his Noivern, he looked behind him to see what had happened and could only tsk, because damn—what was up with the—

Another strong burst of wind threatened to blow the both of them off the perimeter, and he had to do a literal loop de loop curve in mid-air to avoid being blown off-course!

GQgx8ZP7
Pt 2: obscuring muck; roll lower than the total of Alex’s roll to continue!

Should you roll higher…good luck getting the mud out of your eyes!!

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,952 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 7:30:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's visor was completely covered by one of the unidentifiable black objects! It definitely wasn't solid; semisolid at best, considering it hit his visor with a splash. Thankfully, Bladestorm didn't seem to be affected. "Try to fly as straight as you can while I get this cleaned up!" Josh cried over the storm. Thankfully, the Metal Menace's blades seemed to slice right through whatever these objects were. It was just unfortunate that one of them was at the perfect angle and speed to completely obscure the racer's vision!

Josh put complete trust in his steel-type to handle all navigation, holding the reins in just his left hand, and only for support at that. He rubbed the outside of his visor's plastic "windshield" with his right hand, trying to clean off whatever goop was keeping him from seeing. This was taking a lot longer than he thought it would. If this didn't work, he wouldn't even know whether or not he passed the checkpoint. The storm didn't make matters much easier; every time a gale-force wind gust came, he had to stop what he was doing and grab the Skarmory's reins with both hands just to maintain the balance needed to avoid being blown off his mount.

MHtY_LPO

{WC: 206}
{PC: 5}·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 7:42:46 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

While the other was dealing with the temporary obscuration of their flying helmet, Alexei on the other hand was trying to guide the Noivern through the storm as calmly—and quickly—as possible, because another rumble of thunder boomed around them.

That usually meant there was going to be a lightning flash not too long afterward…

“Fen, be careful!” he shouted as this time, his own Pokémon had gotten beaned in one of the eyes by the muck, and even he had to come to a stop just to let the Noivern clear out his field of vision, his own ‘ride’ bucking around in mid-air as he did so.

He caught a sight of silver streaking through the weather—and realized that they had to go, too.

“After ‘em!” he crowed, leaning forward as the Noivern continued to struggle with one eye ‘blinded’, the other blinking the rain away as they both literally flew into the third course—

The aerial ram.

Normally, only wind would be a deciding factor for this obstacle however due to the rain suddenly throwing a gigantic spanner into their plans, now there was another uncontrollable factor—visibility would be close to zero despite both fliers’ best efforts.

The swinging ‘rams’ danced around wildly on their aerial installments, both aiming to unseat either one—or possibly both—of them as they barreled through the area.

Not to mention that there was a powerful crosswind coming from one side threatening to sweep them both off-course, too.

yhz9Asxj
Pt 3: aerial battery; roll exactly one of Alex’s rolls to avoid the obstacles swinging around wildly in gale-force winds!

Should you miss either number…good luck and djinni guide you.

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,952 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 8:06:33 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
By the time Josh had cleaned his visor enough to see again, the red flag was nowhere in sight. Neither was Alex, nor his Noivern. Had he passed them? Between the rain and the black stain right in the middle of his visor, visibility was far from ideal. "Bladestorm, I'm going to leave this to you. I can't see very well, But you can." The Skarmory could probably react faster to the potential for dangerous windshear, what with such a strong thunderstorm raging above them. A more merciful Gym Leader would have rescheduled this challenge. But not Alex. He was, unsurprisingly, showing Josh no mercy after what he had asked of him.

A bright flash of lightning revealed giant logs serving as battering rams flailing about in the wind. A massive downburst forced Josh and his mount to the bottom of the tunnel, nearly causing them to crash. With the tunnel they were flying through being so narrow, there was little option but for Josh to try to time a pass through. "You control direction and I control speed, okay, Bladestorm?" The Skarmory lined up with the right side of the wind tunnel, Josh waiting for the log to be directly in his way so that by the time he was to pass it, its momentum would carry it away from him. "Bladestorm, AGILITY!" With a loud screech even Alex could probably hear over the wind and rain, compressed blades of air rained toward the ground beneath Josh as the two dashed forward at a dangerously steep bank angle, hoping their timing was right.

xqp|cUyv

{WC: 264}
{PC: 6}·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 8:55:24 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

With the weather conditions changing literally everything, it was no surprise that both of them were clearly struggling through the third obstacle.

Even Alexei couldn’t hear himself thinking over the torrential rain coming down all around them.

The crackling in his ear, if any indication, was a sign that even those who were in the ‘backstage’ were having difficulty reaching out to them.

He’d very nearly gotten clobbered by one of the wildly-swinging ‘rams’, and had to do a reverse barrel roll just to barely get away from it in time.

“Fen, are you alright?!” he hissed quietly, running his soaked hand over the Noivern’s white fur. “Easy there, easy… we’re so close…”

Back where the little Josh flew, another unexpected ‘ram’ came flying up from behind—and if he wasn’t careful, one that was swinging just ahead may end up pancaking him in between the two.

_dmimGqc
Pt 3: aerial battery; roll exactly one of Alex’s rolls to avoid the obstacles swinging around wildly in gale-force winds!

Should you miss either number…good luck and djinni guide you.

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,952 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 9:21:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The rain was getting so thick that even the steel-type was having quite a time flying through it. A flash of lightning revealed another large log heading straight toward both of them. It took up most of the tunnel, too; with the low ceiling, flying comfortably above it was not an option. He felt like he had been flying for so long; where was the end of the course? It reminded him of Indigo Plateau's Spiral race course, a Platinum-Class course raced only by the most talented teams in the country. Worlds had been held there several times. It was long, harsh, and it tested everything. Lap times of over three minutes were not uncommon there.

This was like that, except with obstacles that threatened to buck him off his bird, or even smash him against the course's terrain and leave him seriously hurt! He briefly grabbed Bladestorm's reins with both hands and flicked them, coaxing more thrust from the Skarmory's wings. He had his eye on the left side of the tunnel, which had a little more clearance than the right. AGILITY still powering the steel-type's turns, the racer made a fierce left lean, commanding a steep left bank to follow the course's curve while minimizing the surface area the rams could potentially strike. The rapid changes in bank angle and angle of attack were starting to wear the challenger out, showing the first signs of spatial disorientation.

lH8ibaM4

{WC: 239}
{PC: 7}·