March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,436 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Between
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2022 6:14:25 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
's warning was pretty stern-sounding, though the Wyrdeer seemed confident. "Shalin, I think it would be a good idea for Callan to teach us. You never know when it will come in handy," her voice echoed in her trainer's mind. Prance gently nuzzled Callen back after the display of affection.

Shalin simply nodded and gently pat her Wyrdeer's neck. "So it needs two-way mental communication to work?" she interrupted after Callan's first sentence, then heard the rest. "Oh, so like landmarks and what not. So if there's a place you're going to teleport, it's best to be focus on a landmark of some kind? Do I have it right?" It didn't seem too bad when he explained it, but there had to be a catch she wasn't thinking of.

"The only thing I'm nervous about is Prance teleporting out from under me and not taking me with her," she continued as the psychic-type faced a nearby flagpole, forcing Shalin to tilt her neck to maintain eye contact with Callan. "I'm willing to learn though. Mind showing me the basics? I'm sure Prance and I will get better as we practice more."

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Prance        Wyrdeer        Good
Kiara         Pyroar-F       Good
Queen Zing    Beedrill       Good

{WC: 192}
{PC: 1}

OOC Note: This thread takes place immediately after One of Body and Mind.
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
I’d rather watch your star explode
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
Between
POSTED ON Aug 4, 2022 15:50:34 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Teaching was not a skill that came easily to Callan. He had since realized that the way he understood things often needed to be broken down further, or that the synapses that comprised of his understanding were often arcs which made teaching a difficult process. Nevertheless, since becoming Gym Leader, he had become far better.

All things were broken down to single actions, never assume that a person's logic made the same leaps as he did. Especially, on something as dangerous as spatial warping.

Callan nodded to her question, she seemed to understand, but perhaps it was more important to instill the fundamental concept of what a Teleport actually entailed. "Let's start from the beginning, first."

Callan paused, "So, how do you think a Pokemon is able to move from Point A, to Point B instantaneously?" This was the difficulty with newer forms, everything was unknown, and so, there was great danger in practicing moves without any public knowledge.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Open Sans]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,436 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Between
POSTED ON Aug 5, 2022 5:32:39 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Callan's question was a really good one that left Shalin with a quizzical look on her face. Psychic-type ride Pokémon were incredibly rare, and the most well-known ones were all legendary. Espeon, Girafarig, and whatever Pokémon Prance evolved into were the only ones that came to mind. "I...I haven't...thought about it much," she sighed.

"It's still new to me; I'm still trying to learn how my new mind works, and what can and can't be done." Prance barged her way into Shalin's mind.

"Not now, Prance!" Shalin snapped back in a whisper Callan almost certainly heard, given how close they were together. She immediately tensed up, embarrassed that she may have been "exposed" talking to her Pokémon. She just hoped Callan somehow didn't hear her. "I always just thought it was something psychic Pokémon could just...do. Just like how a Charizard can breathe fire. I don't really know how they do it." She frowned; she was so excited about teaching Prance how to teleport with a rider. "...Tell me."

{WC: 176}
{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
Between
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2022 15:49:42 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"Yeah, that's about right." Callan chuckled, "What a Pokemon does is entirely a mystery, but Teleport is one of those techniques where you have to have an inherent talent for it, otherwise it won't work." Callan turned towards his Gardevoir, the nodded, with her ability to read minds, she warped herself from being beside him, to about six feet away.

"Eurea is able to do so by binding two points in time with its psychic energy and pushing people through it. It's no different for her than lifting me or you up into the air with her psychic powers, but she's able to do it to the dimension of space as well." Callan paused. "I have a Kadabra who does the same thing, but I don't necessarily think that the methods are identical. So the most important part I feel is trying to figure if Prance is able to manipulate this fabric."

Callan moved around the field, trying to find an appropriate object. Eurea, sensing this, uses her psychic powers to shift a neatby tree branch of about two feet in length to Callan. "Thanks Eur," he smiles, to a polite bow. Using the stick, he draws a cross in the nearby ground then places the object about five feet away. "Let's try to have Prance practice teleporting, if she can. I want her to try to make a divot in the fabric of space, and 'push' the stick to the other side."

At least with this method, it would be far safer than testing it on a live being.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Open Sans]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,436 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Between
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 2:29:16 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"Oh, so you mean that teleporting isn't something every Psychic-type Pokémon can do? I thought they all could!" Shalin interjected, borderline interrupting Callan. Her excitement started to cool; what if Prance wasn't one of the Psychic-types who could? "So it's almost like they travel through a hidden fourth dimension or something? That almost sounds like what a Ghost-type Pokémon can do."

With every question Callan answered, several others replaced it. She kept her questions bottled up inside as the Gym Leader did his best to explain the inner workings of how teleporting functioned. "So ultimately, it's all about accessing this fourth dimension. It sounds like a lot of psychic Pokémon's powers come from access to this fourth dimension." Callan and Eurea has to be so close to one another, just like Prance was to her. This Gardevoir's bond with Callan, though, was on a whole different level, though. Eurea did what Callan asked without him voicing as much as a thought.

With how experimental this was going to be, the last thing Shalin wanted to do was be stuck between dimensions after a failed teleport. "Prance, can you let me down again?" Seconds later, she felt the invisible harness surrounding her dissipate. After her rider slid off, Prance took a deep breath and closed her eyes, focusing as much as possible on what the teacher described. The antlered Pokémon's orbs began glowing as she telekinetically lifted the small limb, moving it to the cross five feet away...through real space.

NAME          SPECIE         STATUS

{WC: 254}
{PC: 3}
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
Between
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 12:31:05 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"I don't think so, no." Came Callan's reply, as Shalin continued to theorize on the means of teleport. In truth, Callan did not have all the answers, he did not anticipate understanding anything regarding espers or their ability to move within dimensions, or the manner by which they achieve it. But he did know enough to understand that it was less about the specific mechanic and more about understanding if your Pokemon could do it.

Callan watched as Shalin's Wyrdeer moved to the spot. If the Wyrdeer destroyed the twig, he'd have stopped the lesson there, but it seemed there was no need, as the psychic type Pokemon attempted to shift the stick through the physical plane. Callan inwardly breathed a sigh of relief. "Mm... Shalin, I don't think Prance is able to Teleport." He began, more than that, having to teach teleport was not an easy prospect. Most Pokemon who did have them performed them instinctively, and learning to take another alongside them was generally all that was needed for training.

"That puts me at ease, somehow, I don't imagine it'd be fun to explain to League HQ how I accidentally taught a trainer to warp themselves into an unknown dimension." He chuckled. "Well that, and your life."

Callan paused, turning towards the pair. "Hmm." Moving towards the stick, he picks it up and puts it about five feet away from Prance. "Do you have another Pokemon that might be psychic type and learn this move? Perhaps it might be easier to teach them instead, Shalin."

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Open Sans]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,436 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Between
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2022 14:17:25 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin frowned in disappointment. While she preferred having the wind in her face, being able to teleport to reach a destination when time was of the essence, or just to get out of danger, would be a very helpful trait to have. She had a special bond with Prance, too; while all of her Pokémon were important to her, Prance was one of her first Pokémon, going back to her first days as a Johtonian trainer.

Shalin laughed alongside Callan. "Aren't most psychic Pokémon able to avoid or at least recover from accidents like that, though? They seem really smart." She wasn't sure she fully understood those words; due to the rarity of Psychic-type ride Pokémon, she wasn't too familiar with the ins and outs of psychic power in general. A psychic accident was certainly a terrifying thought, but this was Shalin Nariya! She was not one to turn down exploring new ways of getting around!

"I have one more," Shalin answered Callan. "She just cleared Hoennian customs not too long ago." She withdrew Stantler and sent out an Espeon gigantic for its kind, standing roughly her height.  This psychic-type, like the rest of her Pokémon, wore riding gear, though it was much more minimal than Prance's. "This is Starr. I've had this Espeon for a while, but she got held up in customs for weeks." The psychic-type mentally greeted Shalin, then Callan, with words that were a bit foggy to understand. Unlike the Wyrdeer, there were no reins attached to this Espeon; it seemed she preferred to be controlled by directly reading her rider's mind.

Starr         Espeon         Good

{WC: 271}
{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
Between
POSTED ON Sept 24, 2022 15:02:08 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan paused to provide consideration for the question. "I'd say on average a Psychic Pokemon is far more intelligent than most Pokemon. But perhaps it would by my instruction, or a misinterpretation, that could lead to a mistake." He replied.

Even though he had voice his hesitance, he wasn't about to leave a trainer that wanted instruction without guidance. His duty as a Gym Leader was to test them for badges, true, but more than anything else, the purpose behind the gym challenge was to raise up the overall skills of the region. And he wasn't about to forsake that mission for a little difficulty.

Callan nodded, as Shalin tossed out an Espeon the size of a Giradarig. Arceus... he paused, "An Alpha Pokemon, I take it?" Callan spoke, his interest piqued as he observed the regal looking Espeon, before turning back towards Shalin. "I don't think I can teach Starr to Teleport, Espeon don't typically learn this particular move. But..." Callan paused, lifting the stick he had picked up before, and placing it about six feet from Starr. "Try having your Pokemon swap positions with the stick, as fast as possible without breaking the wood."

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Open Sans]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,436 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Between
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 4:12:10 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"So ultimately, what you're saying is that psychic accidents mostly have trainer error to blame?" Shalin asked the Gym Leader. It was a scary thought. A psychic-type that had a close enough bond to risk their trainer in an accident...that was something the rider could use to her advantage, in an unusual way. She could get used to Starr by only doing what she, and her trainer, felt comfortable with. And for now, that was nothing but the basics. As the ride Espeon was a recent acquisition on her team, she was certain the lithe, purple fox would need to before feeling comfortable teleporting Shalin at all.

"Alpha Pokémon?" Shalin asked. "What's that?" The answer to that question was likely in the purview of . For every question she had answered, two more seemed to sprout from it. Though she had no idea what they were called, she had seen Alpha Pokémon before. They were both terrifying and fascinating. Callan did give Starr a special challenge though. Though traditional teleportation was outside the purview of an Espeon, they did have a limited form of teleportation they could use. "...Alright!" Shalin looked a little confused, but he was confident the Leader knew what he was talking about. "Starr, see if you can do it!"

With little effort, the giant Espeon surrounded herself and the stick six feet in front of her with a purple glow. Seconds later, the two faded to white white and disappeared, reappearing juxtaposed in a second flash of white. The power of ALLY SWITCH. "So she has a limited form of teleportation that requires her to be able to see a distinct object to teleport to? Am I anywhere close?" the curious girl asked. Depending on how far the range was, it could be nearly as useful as a true teleport, particularly if Starr could take her trainer across the ether with her.

Starr         Espeon         Good

{WC: 319}
{PC: 5}
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
Between
POSTED ON Sept 27, 2022 13:57:05 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"Not exactly, I am saying that language itself is an imperfect medium, and sometimes what I want to convey, and what is interpreted, can be incorrect." Callan explained, after Shalin's question. "But yes, I imagine Pokemon are also prone to occasionally making mistakes with their moves, in addition to this they may be inexperienced with putting additional factors into their teleportation, or may feel uncomfortable in doing so which can compound these risks." Callan's words were more a meditative exercise in explaining every facet of the question being asked, but ultimately there was just one real factor he wanted to illustrate: Teleportation could be dangerous.

"Alpha Pokemon are significantly larger members of the same species. But I'd figure one of the scientists in our region would have a better grasp on it." Callan replied, pointing briefly towards Shalin's Starr. But he paused on the explanation, surely there would be a better authority on this than himself. He only knew what he saw, his experiences with it in the distortions, and how best to deal with them as a Ranger should.

Callan observed the Espeon as it moved to do exactly as it was instructed without issue, switching the stick with itself instantly. "First try as well, very impressive." He remarked, briefly raising a hand to his chin in thought. "I believe so, what this is is an Ally Switch, it's a different type of move where you can alter the Pokemon's movements with a nearby ally, which could be useful in certain battle situations, such as double battles." Callan smiled. "I like these types of moves, the ones where you perform something that is not necessarily inherently obvious, but hold great utility." He turned back towards Shalin.

"But yes, you are correct Shalin, it is a type of teleportation. Though I imagine the methodology can vary between Pokemon, the end result is the same. In this particular instance, teleportation within a limited field." Callan offers an apologetic smile. "It's not the same as Teleport, but I hope the instruction was still somewhat useful." But the night was coming out, and the sun was setting into a deep maroon. "But I'll have to go for now, feel free to use the premises. I hope to see you as a challenger in the future, Shalin."

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Open Sans]
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights