Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
Bury me in the roses and rot; I'll come back thorned.
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
In a Kingdom by the Sea [M, VV]
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 7:28:08 GMT
Elisabeth Fiorelli Avatar
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Château de Sable
[break][break]
[break]
Was it negligent to leave her shop closed for almost the entirety of Splashfest? If so, Elisabeth had stopped caring about that some time ago.

If something had to give for her to enjoy the festivities, it was either the civilian front or her Rocket admin duties. Between those two, she'd choose her criminal family each and every time.

The blonde had seen some of her fellow Rockets filtering in and out throughout Splashfest. Most glided through the crowds unseen, possessing such carefully manicured public personas that they could hide in plain sight with ease. and came to mind in that category. It was the same one she belonged to, for that matter.

Others, such as , wore disguises that shrouded their infamy entirely. Although they had worked together for so long now, Elisabeth herself recognized him from his mannerisms alone; she suspected the same was true of him, although she wore no such disguise today.

When she saw his distant silhouette on the shore, a faint smile graced Elisabeth's lips as she walked forward, her Leafeon at her heels.

"Are you in want of company?" Elisabeth asked, kneeling down beside him on the sand. Her Leafeon ran up eagerly to lick him, completely lacking his mistress's decorum.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Sunny Day (VV) ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
[newclass=".elisafont b"]color: #7bb661;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 20:14:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Are you in want of company?

Though subtle, the involuntary twitch of his lip as Gavin turns to greet the florist is almost sad. Not because of her words, per se, but because of what those words bring to mind. . They'd planned to spend the festivities together in celebration, and yet...

The brief flicker of regret vanishes behind Gavin's more stoic baseline, then melts into a genuine smile.

"Certainly, if it's yours."

Gavin chuckles as the Leafeon bounds up to meet him, gently stroking its long, leafy ears in the way that his own seemed to like.

Besides the blanket on which Gavin sits, an umbrella staked into the sand to provide some shade from the relentless sun, a collection of buckets and small shovels can be seen nearby. He gestures to them.

"Someone abandoned their stuff, and I couldn't resist the shade. This sun's a bloody nightmare."

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 5:59:23 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Château de Sable
[break][break]
[break]
"Isn't it?" Elisabeth agreed with a sigh, shielding her eyes from the relentless rays. "You're almost as fair as me, so I can't blame you for thieving some shade."

A devilish grin revealed itself as she said, in a voice entirely too pleased with its own cleverness, "How criminal of you."

As she joined beneath the parasol's reprieve, she watched with no small amount of amusement as her Leafeon took full liberty of his new friend's patience, rolling over to entice him for belly rubs on the towel. How shameless of him.

"Clover is a handful, I'm sorry," Elisabeth said, laughing. Leaning back with her hands behind her head, she smiled up at the colourful parasol, contented in this moment of relaxation. "I can't remember the last time I saw the ocean like this," she said suddenly. "In Coumarine City, I think. A lifetime ago."

There was the faintest twinge of nostalgia in the admission.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Sunny Day (VV) ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 7:09:10 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Thieving. He smirks at the choice of words, lips parting to crack a joke before Elisabeth makes one of her own. We really are similar, you and I. He finds himself truly grateful for the company as his previous melancholy fades.

"You ought to be wearing sunscreen; you'll get a nasty BURN if you don't. I was a right mess for my first summer."

Summers in Kanto had been warmer than those of Circhester, the city of ever-present snow, but Kanto had done nothing to prepare him for the tropical hell he now called home. He'd learned of Hoenn's harshness the hard way.

Pulling a bottle of sunscreen from the beach bag beside him, he tosses it over.

"You can borrow mine. Our skin's not too different, should do the trick."

With the sunscreen relinquished, he leans down to scratch the Leafeon along its belly. His lip twitches at the name, thinking of the Alcremie that Elisabeth would have met during her visit to his home. His Clover was obsessed with feeding his guests.

"Is the ocean there as nice as this one?" Hoenn's waters were a beautiful, tropical shade, but, "It's an ugly thing in Galar, cold and choppy as all hell. Compared to this, at least."

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 8:00:11 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Château de Sable
[break][break]
[break]
"It's not so tropical in Kalos," Elisabeth admitted, taking the lotion and applying it to her exposed skin, "but it is warmer than Galar to be certain."

Though that was like saying some places were less calamitous than Hoenn, wasn't it? The impact of a meteor was a strange thing to imagine as her Leafeon playfully pawed at Gavin, needy for more affection.

"Kalosian beaches are likely closer to the Galarian coasts, as it happens. Windier, less humid than here. But I think we have more heat than you did, given my limited experiences in Galar. And less rain."

Elisabeth lifted her long blonde hair up, tying it into a high ponytail as she asked, "Could I bother you to lotion my back for me? I'm afraid I can't see much of what I'm doing."

As she waited for Gavin to assist her, a pause fell -- one of hesitation -- before she ventured cautiously, "You never told me you were from Galar."

She wouldn't have guessed. He lacked the accent entirely.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Sunny Day (VV) ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 20:48:41 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"It isn't difficult to be warmer than Circhester." It was always winter there, so far as the weather was concerned. He'd been ill-equipped even for Galarian summers on account of his upbringing in the frigid city. "Where most of Galar gets rain, we got snow."

He doesn't miss much of Galar, and has long since stopped considering it home, but he does sometimes pine for the snowy slopes of the mountains that loomed over the city. He hasn't been snowboarding since college... has it really been over a decade?

"Course," he says of her request, taking the bottle of lotion and squirting a generous amount onto his palm. He smooths it over her back and shoulders with a quiet, practiced ease, and no hint of discomfort from being so close.

"I tend not to tell anyone." Gavin lets the façade drop, his natural accent bleeding through. It's not as strong as it had been in his youth, but the colourful notes of Circhester are present in his deep voice. "But you already know of my sister, and her accent's no secret. You might well have figured it out on your own."

There's another, unspoken reason he's sure she'll understand: trust.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 5:22:14 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Château de Sable
[break][break]
[break]
Having Gavin's hands on her skin felt comforting, somehow. Touch was peculiar in so many ways; it signified trust and closeness with another person as much as anything else. It was human instinct to crave it, even as Elisabeth so often sought to evade all the intimacies it invoked.

With Gavin, there was never a moment's hesitation of disgust, or fear, or doubt as he drew near to her.

He was a friend.

He was safe.

As his Galarian accent faintly bled through his words, Elisabeth laughed with sudden brightness. "Hah. What a clever party trick. I bet you were popular when you moved to Hoenn." Her laughter faded into the sea breeze as she turned to face him, her loose ponytail falling over her shoulder. "Shame you've had to rid yourself of it."

The blonde's own Kalosian accent remained clear as ever, airy in its gentle lilt. However as she spoke again, this time a quiet sincerity laced itself in the words.

"I try not to think about those things, actually." She paused. "With friends, at least."

Because I want you to feel you can be safe with me.

I want you to trust me with whatever knowledge you think is worth having yourself.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Sunny Day (VV) ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 5:37:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Perhaps it's the slim ring around his finger that offers some comfort, the tiny Luvdisc forever seeking the partner piece belonging to . He was engaged, faithful, and utterly disinterested in anything but friendship.

Might that make him safe, too?

Her laugh shakes her shoulders beneath his touch, and he smiles in spite of her inability to see it. She might hear it in his voice, instead, when he says, "Oh, I dropped the accent long before Hoenn."

It had been Kanto that necessitated a reimagination of the self.

There's something so soft and genuine to her statement that it gives Gavin pause, as well, so much that his fingers still against her skin. Her meaning registers, and he returns to his task, though he does not immediately break the silence.

He couldn't say the same; what did that say of him?

(That he has trusted and suffered one too many times to be certain of anyone?)

"Well, now you know," he decides. "You're good to go with the lotion."

He rubs his hands together to spread out any remaining residue and then flicks blond hair back from his face. Warmth that has nothing to do with the sun has settled in his chest; it's good to have friends. Even if trust came difficult.

"Do you miss it?" he wonders. "Kalos?"

Is it still home, for you?

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 6:49:50 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Château de Sable
[break][break]
[break]
Was it the ring around Gavin's finger that left her secure? No. That was something Elisabeth could say with full certainty. The fidelity of marriage itself held little sanctity to her, and hadn't for a long time.

What trust Gavin had from her was earned entirely on his own merits. Not some romanticized, traditional ideal of eternal devotion.

The way he paused after his admission -- "Oh, I dropped the accent long before Hoenn." -- caused her to tilt her head slightly, enough to see the fading scars on his hands as he pulled them back. She didn't need to guess what he was referencing, because it was a topic he had shared with her not long before: Kanto.

"Thank you," she said, a delayed reply to the bottle of lotion he left by the beach towel. She bit her lip, frowning. "To be honest... The only times I miss Kalos, I miss a version of it that I do not think exists anymore. The Kalos of my childhood."

Others had asked her that same question, but with him, here, came her most genuine answer.

"You'll laugh at me, but I... think about it, sometimes. Running through my father's vineyards. Enjoying the Rivière with my mother. The way the flowers bloomed in her gardens in spring."

She inhaled deeply, then exhaled, as if releasing the memory with that simple motion.

"None of it exists anymore, though. Them, or the place where I lived. So I suppose it's a mourning, more than a true homesickness."

Her emerald eyes turned to meet his, examining his amber gaze, before daring to ask, "Do you miss any of the places you have once called home?"

Not just Galar. But Kanto, too.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Sunny Day (VV) ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 7:04:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"A mourning," Gavin echoes, pensive. "Yes, I think so."

For it was not the parents who'd raised him nor the organization who'd conditioned him that he missed, but some specific memories that held a special place in his heart.

Snowboarding down the Circhester slopes. Chasing his sister around the manor's backyard until they were both red-faced from the cold. The dingy apartment in Saffron where his Lucario and Crobat had evolved, a testament of the bond he'd later understand too late.

(The doors of the manor closed to him. Fury in his sister's eyes as he turned her away. Cities burning, the acrid tang of smoke in the back of his throat—)

As always, what pleasant memories remained are tainted by others.

"I won't laugh." There's gravity in his tone. "Circhester I miss the same."

But not Kanto. Never Kanto.

That hangs in the air a long moment before he says, "Rocket are the reason such memories are mourned in Kanto."

He had seen the bones of its beauty in the ashes they'd spread.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 19:26:53 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Château de Sable
[break][break]
[break]
Elisabeth drew her knees to her chest, comfortable in the silence of the pauses that fell between them. She listened attentively, her green eyes focused on his own as he spoke.

And perhaps it was the intimacy of all else they had spoken of, here and elsewhere, that made her bold enough to ask what she did next.

"Have you ever regretted it?" Elisabeth wondered aloud, with nothing but open, guileless curiosity. "Being here. In this organisation we share."

It was a dangerous question, one that most wouldn't dare breathe aloud in the presence of an underboss, and one as powerful as besides. Treason wasn't taken kindly in Rocket, neither in thought nor in action.

"I haven't," she clarified softly, leaning forward to watch the Wingulls skimming the ocean waves. "But I wonder if I had been in Kanto, if I had known the Rocket you did in those years, if I would feel otherwise."

She thought of and his own doubts, but spoke of neither, instead cradling them close in her heart.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Sunny Day (VV) ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 19:41:10 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Yes."

Gavin lets his response, the weight behind its meaning, hang in the air between them for a long moment.

He is an underboss. A leader. The blood of countless traitors is on his hands. Yet it's clear in that moment as he meets her gaze that Gavin is not leading her astray with his answer.

"Violence without purpose. That was Kanto's norm." There had been purposeful violence, too, how they'd burned their cities to lay claim over ash and ruin. But what he remembers most vividly is a dark alleyway and the choking scent of blood mixed with the aroma of flowers. A scar is visible on his thigh, and Gavin traces it idly. "Not all who joined in Kanto did so willingly."

He doesn't count himself among their unfortunate number; he'd stepped boldly into the lion's den, and only felt regret when they'd shown him their teeth.

There's a pause as he watches the Wingull snatch a hotdog bun from a startled child's hands. There's innocence in the way the kid looks startled, then sad, then bursts into laughter as the seagull flies off with its prize.

"Child soldiers. Hostages. They'd kill your family if you didn't satisfy them."

Did she wonder why he'd concealed every aspect of his old life?

"There was a time I could have left. After Blackwell." His gaze is on the ocean, but he doesn't truly see its waves. "I didn't. Rocket is my family, now, and there's little I wouldn't do to protect them."

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2022 2:48:27 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Château de Sable
[break][break]
[break]
'There's light in the darkest places, if you know where to look for it. Show me a night that doesn't know stars, ma chérie.'

Her father's words carried back to her now, a voice that hadn't whispered in her mind for years and years, as answered her.

So he was human, too, in the end.

The confirmation of this small, seemingly insignificant thing stirred a sort of pathos in her, a shared empathy that reaffirmed her bond with the man who sat beside her on the shore.

"There is so much ugliness in the world," she agreed quietly.

A hand sifted through the fine sand beside her, letting it drift through her fingertips as a Krabby wandered curiously by.

"Something I learned a long time ago is that being blind to that ugliness doesn't mean it vanishes. Sometimes the best we can do is survive it, either by becoming part of it, or hiding from it long enough to weather the storm."

After a moment's hesitation, Elisabeth picked up a shovel beside her, its plastic surface gleaming in the sunlight. Then, with a sort of childish novelty, she began to dig. The wild Krabby watched her in fascination, her own Leafeon having long dozed off and forgotten to stand guard.

"Tearing something down is easy," she said, patting the mound of sand so that the beginnings of a sandcastle started to form. "Building things is much more difficult."

Her fingers smoothed the edges of the walls, then searched the sand for shells to crown its golden parapets. She smiled at the nascent castle, admiring her handiwork.

"Kanto tore things down. But in Hoenn, you are building, no? Sootopolis alone is proof of that."

[break]
[break]
[break]
Sunny Day (VV) ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2022 5:50:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"You were either with Rocket, or against them."

It was the coward's decision, to join, but then here he sat while so many others had met their end in the fires. There were many choices he might've made differently. He'd been caught by the League, once, could've sworn his loyalty in exchange for—

A different kind of prison.

Elisabeth, though, she understands. The ghost of a smile greets her fledgling castle.

"Building, yes. It is my wish to see that Rocket never returns to its poisoned roots."

Quietly, he leaves the sanctuary of the beach blanket to join her amidst a small forest of buckets and budding towers, a delicate touch smoothing out sandy walls and notching small battlements. He hasn't done this since he was a small child on a cold, stony beach in Galar. Years of restoring fossils, handling tiny fragments of bone and brushing individual grains of sand from fossils have left him practiced and careful.

"Rocket has never been good; never will be. Only different." He brushes sand from his fingers and tucks blond hair behind his ear. His lip curls as he adds, "Different from the League and their false promises."

A pause, then, "I am glad you don't regret your choice."

It means that my choices have been the right ones.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2022 6:17:50 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Château de Sable
[break][break]
[break]
When had been the last time she'd built a sandcastle with someone on the shore?

How funny it would have been, back then, if someone had told her that the next time Elisabeth did so, it would be like this: a black widow, building a sandcastle brick by brick with an international terrorist. She would have laughed at the absurdity of it all.

The Krabby tentatively poked at a wall with a pincer, seeking entry as Elisabeth began to dig a moat to deny its advance.

"I know." The blonde's soft-spoken answer circled a topic the two had discussed many times: "There are wolves and sheep. Better to be the wolf, always."

The most dangerous wolves were those who feigned not being wolves at all, leading the sheep while baring their fangs.

He'd protected her against them, too.

Those who wandered blindly in the light, after all, were denied the warnings of the shadows.

Something in her expression hardened, and Elisabeth glanced away. Lowering the shovel, she picked up a bucket and fed it from the tidepools that had gathered around them both, pouring the life-giving waters into the sandy basin she had formed.

Poisoned roots. Had the phrasing been intentional? She didn't think so, no.

But it was painfully apt for her, nonetheless.

"I used to care about being good." Gavin knew this, she suspected, or could guess it of her. "The more I tried, the worse the world treated me. My own idealism would have killed me, I think, if I had clung to it much longer."

Would Elisabeth have prolonged the suffering and depravity in Kanto, as Gavin had? Part of her wanted to say no. Part of her wanted to say she would not have committed the atrocities he described, that she would have found some way to evade that inevitability.

Another part of her whispered of the truth of herself, and knew of her own willingness to survive, no matter the cost.

Elisabeth had long forgotten how to trust the inherent goodness in anyone, most of all in herself.

"I lost my family a long time ago." Her green eyes glanced up to meet his, something almost shy and hesitant in the motion. When she spoke next, the words left her lips like a prayer: "I am glad to be your family, now."

[break]
[break]
[break]
Sunny Day (VV) ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]