Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2022 21:12:58 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]
[attr="class","zevposttext"]

[attr="class","zevpostpkmn"]

May 2020.[break][break]

The lighter sparked to life. Its tiny flame struggled against the darkness of the room, no match for the shadows that encircled it. Zev brought it to the end of his cigarette, cupping a protective hand around the flickering fire. For a moment, its light spread across the angular features of his face, carving out a man from the black gloom. And then he extinguished its life with a decisive flick of his hand.[break][break]

Darkness reigned. Not even the moon shone through the wooden slats boarding up the windows.[break][break]

"Get the light, Smoke."[break][break]

The ceiling lamp flickered on. Zev stood in the doorway of a cramped bathroom that had seen better days. Peeling wallpaper revealed wood rotting from damp, and the tiled floor was filthy — with old dirt and dried blood both. The mirror was cracked. Streaks from hard water darkened the sink and toilet bowl.[break][break]

Chained by his hands to the pipes under the sink was a man around Zev's age, his face bloody and bruised, one of his eyes black and swollen. Both shins were broken, while a rag plugged up a bullet hole in his shoulder so he wouldn't bleed out. None of his wounds were lethal, which boded ill for him.[break][break]

An assassin as skilled as Zev did not miss killing shots. He had spared the man's life for a bigger purpose.[break][break]

Zev stared at his whimpering captive with cold, callous eyes as he puffed on his cigarette. Then he half-turned toward the hallway, pulled out a black Rotom phone, and punched in a number he knew by heart. As the phone rang, his Gengar — who had been hovering near the lightswitch — floated over to the bound man to taunt him with a ghastly grin.[break][break]

Finally, someone picked up the phone.[break][break]

"It's me," Zev said, his tone brusque but not aggressive. "I'm in the Outskirts at the old Swanna Heights apartment complex on Fifth and Neway. I heard you were looking for Nathaniel Whitmore, one of Blackwell's old cronies. Well, I have a surprise for you."[break][break]

Zev glanced down at the man on the floor, who stared back at him apprehensively with one good eye.

[break]

[attr="class","zevpostooc"]
[break]

NOTES

Mission: Recruitment: Act III

[googlefont=Calibri]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.zevpost]--accent:#975fb2;[/newclass]
[newclass=.zevpost]font:14px Calibri;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:16px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext b"]color:var(--accent); } .zevpost .zevposttext a { font:14px Calibri;font-weight:bold;text-transform:uppercase; } .zevpost .zevposttext i { color:var(--accent); } .zevpost .zevposttext u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc"]} .zevpost .zevpostooc b { color:var(--accent); } .zevpost .zevpostooc a { font:14px Calibri;font-weight:bold;text-transform:uppercase; } .zevpost .zevpostooc i { color:var(--accent); } .zevpost .zevpostooc h1 { font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:.5px } .zevpost .zevpostooc u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostpkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 11:22:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He's sleeping when the phone rings.

It's the only reason he doesn't pick up right away; Zev has the number to the burner phone Gavin uses for close contacts among Rocket, and he's certain to answer no matter the situation. Even if he's in a meeting with the boss, he'll excuse himself just long enough to ensure it's not an emergency. It's part of the job. Also part of the job: exhaustion. He sleeps in small spurts where he can manage it, but is otherwise on call all day, every day.

He'll prove himself to Rocket. He'll show them all he's irreplaceable.

Until death.

He answers the phone.

"Zev."

He's getting dressed as he's given the details and the address.

"I'll be there."

And he is, teleporting to a Rocket safehouse a few blocks away and walking the rest. The streets are quiet, but he is just another man going about his business. No one pays him any mind as he slips into the building and up the stairs.

"Whitmore." Gavin's deep voice is icy cold. Remember me, asshole? Not likely. Gavin had only been a grunt when the man had beaten him within an inch of his life for messing up on a mission. One of thousands the sadistic executive had punished, but Gavin never forgot the faces of those who'd taught him Rocket's ways. Not one. "You shouldn't have run."

You gave me an excuse.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 0:10:27 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

Zev had stepped out into the hallway upon Gavin's arrival so they would not overcrowd the bathroom with three adult male bodies. He peered down at Whitmore from over Gavin's shoulder to watch the beaten man hiss at his former underling.[break][break]

"Merlino," was rattled, wheezing reply. How the tables had turned for him. His good eye stared back at Gavin with a mix of incredulous disgust and abject terror.[break][break]

Cutting into the tension, Zev said casually to Gavin, "He's been using this place as a hideout of sorts. There's a computer in the room down the hall, and probably a phone and wallet too. I didn't find anything in his pockets when I took him out, but by the way everything's out in the open here, he didn't expect to be found."[break][break]

A prideful mistake that cost Whitmore more than a couple of broken bones, even if he didn't know it yet. Zev fell silent to take another drag of his cigarette.

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Calibri]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.zevpost]font:14px Calibri;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:16px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext b"]color:var(--accent); } .zevpost .zevposttext a { font:14px Calibri;font-weight:bold;text-transform:uppercase; } .zevpost .zevposttext i { color:var(--accent); } .zevpost .zevposttext u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc"]} .zevpost .zevpostooc b { color:var(--accent); } .zevpost .zevpostooc a { font:14px Calibri;font-weight:bold;text-transform:uppercase; } .zevpost .zevpostooc i { color:var(--accent); } .zevpost .zevpostooc h1 { font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:.5px } .zevpost .zevpostooc u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 18:05:57 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Hm. Maybe you do remember.

Or maybe there's someone on the inside leaking information about Rocket's new brass to those who'd once called the organization their kingdom. A big garden meant a lot of weeds to pluck, and you were bound to miss at least one.

There's a dull thud as Gavin drops a bag from his shoulder onto the grimy bathroom floor, reaching inside to pull on a pair of gloves. The snap of the material against his skin is loud in the stillness of the room. Whitmore had never worn gloves; only heavy rings that split the skin on impact. A small scar sits below Gavin's right eye, along his cheekbone. Zev has already blackened Whitmore's eye in kind; Gavin paces the small bathroom like a stalking predator, never once taking his eyes off of prey.

"He never was the brightest."

Without warning, Gavin strikes like a viper — not with his hand, but with his boot. A rattling scream chokes off as Whitmore blacks out from the agony of having one of his broken shins crushed beneath the underbosses heel.

Only now does Gavin's attention slide to Zev.

"Thank you for bringing him in." An unasked question: why?

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 14:15:09 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

The cry of pain and its abrupt end did nothing to faze Zev. He leaned against the wall in the corridor outside the bathroom, smoking. His Gengar passed through the wall at his side to join him out there.[break][break]

The hitman nodded at Gavin's thanks and heard the unspoken question in his words. Somehow, they had grown to understand each other, down to the nuances in each other's speech and body language. Zev considered it good practice for himself.[break][break]

"I told you before," he said, his unflinching gaze meeting Gavin's. "If you need anything done, I'll do it."[break][break]

Loyalty was not a trait that Zev possessed, nor did he particularly like being indebted to the recently minted Rocket underboss. But Gavin had proven himself reliable, trustworthy, and above all, useful — all traits Zev valued highly in other people. Zev was not above doing favors for the other man if it meant maintaining their relationship, whatever Gavin thought it to be.[break][break]

And there were worse people to owe, at any rate.[break][break]

"What are you going to do with him?" The question was not asked out of any concern for the Blackwell thug, but mere curiosity.

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Calibri]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 15:28:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin nods, accepting.

He'd assumed as much, of course, but assumptions were dangerous in Rocket. Get too comfortable and you'd find your neck broken over a perceived slight or a favour you didn't even know you owed. Hoenn's not Kanto but Kanto's still imprinted on his mind, on his body with the scars that Whitmore had so gleefully contributed to.

"Break him."

There's no hesitation nor emotion behind his tone, though the latter roils in his mind.

Not just his bones. His mind, his spirit.

Without a healthy outlet to deal with abuse, Gavin turns it on others.

"When he wakes up."

Gavin's lip curls. He hadn't expected the man to pass out so quickly, but Zev had done a number on him before Gavin had arrived. That wasn't a problem. If anything, Gavin appreciated the hitman for getting the ball rolling.

"Before that, I have something to show you as well." He fingers along the lining of the bag, eventually pulling out a micro flash drive and tossing it to the other. "A list of places the League has off-books. Intel we've got on them."

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 16:55:34 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

Gavin's bloodlust did not surprise Zev, either. Kanto ran through both men's veins, figuratively if not literally.[break][break]

"I'll stay," Zev said, though his tone was devoid of the other man's passion or eagerness. "I hired a new manager and she's pretty good. They won't need me at the bar tonight."[break][break]

It wasn't that he wanted to participate in the torture; he understood Gavin's need for personal retribution and knew not to interfere. But Gavin was an underboss, and the outskirts of Slateport wasn't the safest place to be, even for someone skilled at defending themselves.[break][break]

Zev caught the micro flash drive in midair. He examined it in the light pouring out of the bathroom, then pocketed it.[break][break]

"Thanks. I'll analyze it when I get home." Zev's debt to Gavin deepened. "I also got in touch with Seraphine. Unfortunately, no one matching Caleb's description commissioned her for forgeries."[break][break]

He sighed, irritated. The hunt continued.

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Calibri]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 17:15:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Zev's reason for staying is neither questioned nor commented upon. Gavin's mind is racing, elsewhere, and Rocket's underboss only nods in mute acceptance of the hitman's presence. Besides, the back-up would be nice if Whitmore had somehow managed to get word out to his associates before Zev had taken him out.

His sympathies toward the situation are expressed with a grimace.

"Turn over enough rocks, something'll scuttle out from under 'em." They wouldn't quit searching until they found a body, dead or alive. Gavin's starting to assume an ill fate for Zev's brother, perhaps run afoul of the conflict with the League. "That's all Maeda could find. I trust he hasn't left anything out." Not when it's a favour for me.

A low groan of pain marks Whitmore's return to consciousness.

"I'll deal with you in a minute."

Let him languish a while longer in his imagination, Gavin's bag well within his vision.

To Zev, he says, "Whitmore's a key target. The boss'll be happy to hear the end of him." That the man could hear them calmly discussing his fate was a non-issue. "I'll make sure he knows who to thank."

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 17:35:13 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

Gavin's endorsement of Zev to the current Rocket boss meant access to more challenging and higher paying contracts. That was good. It had been the same in Kanto when he hustled to make a name for himself. The other rewards one might receive — rank, praise, power — meant nothing to him.[break][break]

Even after Zev found Caleb, he would still need work. Perhaps staying in Hoenn wouldn't be such a bad idea. Zev was establishing contacts and alliances there, after all.[break][break]

"Thanks," he said to Gavin, meaning it.[break][break]

Then he peered into the bathroom. Unable to use his legs, Whitmore was pulling himself into a seated position, dragging himself away from the bag on the floor. The chains binding his hands clinked with every slight movement.[break][break]

He looked pathetic.[break][break]

Zev turned to the underboss once more. "Do you need my help moving him? Or is the bathroom enough space?"

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Calibri]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 18:24:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Course."

Another choked gasp of pain draws his eye to the bathroom, where Whitmore seemed to be making his best attempt to become a part of the scenery. It wasn't working. Gavin watches him for a moment, disgusted, before shaking his head.

"This is room enough."

He unzips the bag, loud, and gets to work.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,968 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Troth [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 22:22:01 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(repeat)