awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 12:16:38 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The moment the other dropped the bomb that he was going to be the newest Gym Leader taking over ’s position—

“Wait, wait, hold up a second, time the hell out, you’re… you’re what?!” he exclaimed, unable to believe what the fuck he’d just heard.

“Weren’t you like… doing some… Ranger stuff on the side or something?” he mused, squinting his eyes up into concentration. “Unless I got that wrong—”

Before he could comment further, though, the glint of a wing caught not just his attention, but—

The loud, familiar squawking noise made him stop dead. Not even 0.5 seconds later, a battered Moon Ball was already flying so fast from his hands he barely had time to yell as the Salamence burst out, his loud roar shaking the nearby trees and literally catching the Wingull off-guard.

“Go get ‘im!” he shouted, and the Salamence didn’t need further telling, off he went like the happy draconid that he was, finally free to rampage.

As the two traded Air Cutter and Flamethrower blows, he turned his attention to the little Josh.

“Alright, where’s your ride Pokémon? Gotta have something to ride into the air so I can get us started!” he continued while the sounds of battle echoed around them.

A few minutes later, the Salamence returned with the Wingull in his mouth, electrified Thunder Fangs crackling.

“Nicely done.”

He then bonked the Wingull with an empty Pokéball.

catch attempt on shiny Wingull!

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,106 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 5:56:59 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Fortree Leader seemed to be in total disbelief. It was just like Josh was, too. "Your reaction was basically my reaction when I got the letter," he replied with a big smile, the memories of the moment flooding back. "It's really funny how it all came together. Remember what we talked about after the match and at your house? You see, originally when I came to Hoenn, and at the time I challenged your Gym, my goal was to defeat all the Gyms, challenge the Elite Four, and make a stand in the annual Pokémon League tournament here. Then the Cloud stuff happened, and I found a much greater calling in life."

With no other Pokémon to watch, Josh could direct his full attention to Alex. "Not too long before going into the Cloud, I found out about 's Minor League program, and applied for a Gym there. Then after the Cloud thing happened, I gave up the Gym Challenge and applied to be a Ranger. When my Ranger enlistment got accepted, I went online to cancel my application for the Minor League program, and it had already been approved. So I had to scale back my involvement as a Ranger and as a semi-pro Pokémon Racer. I was working three part-time jobs. I loved what I did, but it was so much." Even if Josh was only taking challenges at most one or two days a week, he was still working five to six days most weeks across everything he did.

"It helped that all three positions were effectively contracts; you could work as little or as much as you wanted. Then one day, absolutely out of the blue, I got this letter from Commissioner 's office about some Gym Leaders having left Hoenn's ranks and asking if I wanted to be promoted. I had never even applied for being promoted into the Major League. And that day, I turned my racing career into a hobby and became Mauville's Gym Leader...well, Gym Leader-elect. I don't actually take the position until the 10th. I'm not planning any real changes between my current Minor League Gym and the new one." It was quite the tale; Josh had come to Hoenn intending to collect Badges, yet he would be on the opposite side of that arena, handing Badges out. He didn't think he had the social or leadership skills for the position, but if the Commissioner thought so, he couldn't exactly refuse.

When Alex asked him about his mount, Josh raised the reins in his hands so they would be clearly visible to the Birdfather. "I've been ready! Let's fly!"

{WC: 443}
{PC: 5}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Resheph       Dragonair      Good
Ares          Charizard      Good
Bladestorm    Skarmory       Good
Pazuzu        Pidgeot        Fair
Goose         Unfezant       Critical
Slider        Braviary       Good

ooc: Passing on Pineco!
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,988 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 4:44:53 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtemp"]
[attr="class","wildbgsaf"]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD LILEEP APPEARED!
[attr="class","wildshiny"]

[attr="class","wildpkmnbox"]
[attr="class","wildpkmn"]

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] FEMALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] SUCTION CUPS
[attr="class","wildtabox"]CONFUSE RAY
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]CONSTRICT
[attr="class","wildtabox"]ACID
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]ANCIENT POWER
[attr="class","wildtabox"] ---
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] ---

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[attr="class","wildnote"] WHAT WILL YOU DO?

[break]

[attr="class","wildtemp"]
[attr="class","wildbgsaf"]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD FERROSEED APPEARED!
[attr="class","wildshiny"]

[attr="class","wildpkmnbox"]
[attr="class","wildpkmn"]

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] FEMALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] IRON BARBS
[attr="class","wildtabox"]INGRAIN
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]CURSE
[attr="class","wildtabox"]MIRROR SHOT
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]ROLLOUT
[attr="class","wildtabox"] ---
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] ---

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[attr="class","wildnote"] WHAT WILL YOU DO?

[break]
CAUGHT THE WINGULL!

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 19:48:14 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The moment the shiny Wingull was whisked away, he then raised the battered piece of blue metal he’d pulled out from underneath his shirt and was about to blow a single note when the Salamence took off again into the sky, tagging down with the Braviary this time.

“There you are,” he remarked with a grin as he got on the blue-plumed avian and flew off into the sky.

Thus therefore completely and totally ignoring the two Grass-types that had appeared down on the ground. Whoops, time to fly!

skipping Ferroseed

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,106 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 9, 2022 4:11:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
With Kyouya's return, the two Braviaty were airborne, their strong wings letting them gain altitude quickly. Josh felt like he was being squeezed downward into the cocoon saddle Slider wore. He was happy he had all his flying Pokémon regeared; while it was expensive, it would prevent any untoward accidents from happening...at least while riding solo. If he made plans to go flying on the same Pokémon with a friend, he could always strap on the old gear beforehand!

The so-called Padawan, as Alex seemed to think, likewise ignored the two Grass-type Pokémon that grew into mere specks on the grassy surface as the two got to altitude. "How high up you taking me? I didn't know bird Pokémon could fly this high! I've only ever taken my Dragonair up this far!" Josh asked the Fortree Leader, a little nervous about taking Slider up to such thin air.

{WC: 153}
{PC: 6}

ooc: Passing on Lileep!
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2022 7:41:31 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“How high is you usual cruising height?” he shouted over the wind as one touch from his hand made the Braviary come to a hover, coasting along the updrafts that were bringing them gliding through the air.

“I… haven’t exactly put like, an actual figure on how high I want to go… I mean, I’ve been doing this for pretty much half my life, it just… it comes to me naturally? Like, by instinct or something?” he hummed as he was tempted to snap down the aviator goggles that were perched in his hair but decided against it.

“It’s like… you, down on the ground. Doing things for years and years and years just… hones one to go by instinct. Something that I always do whenever I’m up flying in the sky.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,106 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2022 7:57:18 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"We already passed it," Josh answered. "Not too long ago, but we did pass it." He wanted to go down just a little, but if the higher altitude was good for learning maneuvers, he was cool with it. Plus, having some altitude in the bank would be helpful in case of an accident. That cocoon saddle was going to make sure he didn't become separated from his mount, at the very least. "Neither have I. I've never thought about it; to me, a lot of riding a Pokémon is instinct. And most important of all, trust. There are some Pokémon that will only accept the bridle of trust. Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with one of those yet; I very much prefer the tactile control holding a Pokémon's reins offers. Most Pokémon are intelligent enough to be controlled without them, though."

Josh raised his voice a little; he already noticed the need to speak up due to the thinner air. "Sounds like experience is the best teacher," he agreed, reining Slider to a stop so he could hover alongside Kyouya. "I do have a fair bit of experience, but only really know the basics. You got any intermediate-level advice, I'm all ears!" Slider squawked, excited for Josh to learn the fun stuff.

{WC: 217}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2022 8:08:51 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The two were then joined by Gabriel, Alexei’s Salamence, who glided past them with a quiet whipping of his tail.

“One thing I noticed, the very first time I came up here, was that—the air is definitely thinner, but… you know, if you’re used to cruising up here then it just becomes second nature. Like how nature adapts to the changes around it, people can adapt—but it does take time.”

The two Braviary were now at cruising height, the blue-plumed one meandering along on the updrafts as he leaned forward slightly.

“If there’s one thing I’ve learned to watch out for, it’s Pokémon that are flying this high up!” he added with a chuckle.

“Thankfully, today’s pretty quiet so we can stay up here at cruising altitude.”

Peace and quiet…

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,106 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2022 8:21:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It sounded like Josh just needed to go flying more often. He loved riding a running Pokémon at high speed over land most, but perhaps he should take to the skies a bit more than he currently did. After all, that seemed like the fastest way to get used to thinner air...and turbulence. From his match at Fortree's Gym, he certainly had a ton of issues with turbulence. "Sensible," he agreed. He was already starting to adapt to the colder air. It wasn't uncomfortably cold, but it was a bit cooler than he was used to.

"No kidding," Josh agreed. "Most Pokémon that can fly this high are dragons. I should tell you about the time I let loose with my Dragonair's Extreme Speed above Hoenn. It might have been the most fun I've had in my life. I should let you try it sometime." He looked around to almost completely empty airspace. The skies of Hoenn were their playground. "Alright, how about we get this 201-level flying course started?"

{WC: 173}
{PC: 8}

Slider        Braviary       Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2022 8:28:23 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Always keep your ears open. I know, down on the ground it’s eyes—but up here, trust what you hear,” he began with a sage nod.

“Because any singular noise you hear up here can either mean trouble, or chaos, or it’s just some wild Pokémon coming up from behind or alongside you,” he added with another laugh.

Just to be a bit of an ass, Kyouya then suddenly took off with a burst of speed, before suddenly doing a loop-de-loop in mid-air, before coming to a stop some distance away.

“How good are you with aerial flips and turns?” he called out from his new position.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,106 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2022 9:40:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's helmet had the nice benefit of keeping the whipping winds out of his ears, making it a little easier to hear. "Given the much higher speeds of flight and its three dimensional nature, that makes sense. That's been the hardest thing to adapt to." It was a big reason why Josh's aerial races were the easiest to win at his Gym. They were not his forte, like the foot races were. Hopefully today's crash course would help fix that problem.

"I would say 'barely competent,' Alex," Josh answered. "One of my toughest aerial courses has a few instances of two rings stacked right on top of one another, and the only way to fly through them both efficiently is...well, that," he pointed to what Kyouya just did. "Some of the rings I miss most on my courses are ones that you have to make steep bank angles to fly through. Banking steeply is so scary because it's just easy to spiral out of control. Could probably use a refresher on both."

{WC: 173}
{PC: 9}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2022 14:20:21 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“You know how to take sharp turns on land, right?” he confirmed, waiting for the other to catch up to him.

“The principle is mostly the same—only you’ve got wind speed and angle to consider when you make sharp turns mid-air. You… you can adjust with flying up or dropping down sudden heights, or do you still have trouble with that?”

Just for fun, he then made his Braviary fly in a half-loop, temporarily hanging upside-down in mid-air, looking at the other man from the reverse ‘view of the world’ before completing the loop and banking down so they were on the same level again.

“What about barrel rolls? Sudden braking?” he followed up.

There was so much ‘ground’ to cover, so to speak.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,106 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 14, 2022 7:46:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Of course," Josh affirmed; he had done many sharp drifts on his Absol's back in the racing circuit before. It was the big technique that separated competitive amateurs from truly recreational racers. "Sounds simple enough. I'll have to follow you around a bit to practice, but it at least seems simple in theory." Sudden height adjustment, barrel rolls, and sudden braking, not so much. He recalled his flight with , but there was one wrinkle there. That was with a Dragonair. This was with a bird.

"I've only done that with my Dragonair, and I imagine that doesn't count," the Mauville Leader answered, chuckling at the end. "It's probably completely different with a bird that needs to fly a minimum speed to maintain lift. Dragonair kind of...just hover. Have you flown on a Dragonair before? It's the most liberating feeling I've ever experienced." Indeed, flying was far more complicated than Josh expected it to be. But if he wanted to be successful his Gym in the Major League instead of the Minor League, he would need the help.

{WC: 179}
{PC: 10}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 20, 2022 12:56:13 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Barrel rolls usually happen when surprise obstacles come up in flight. In my case that usually happens when something comes screaming in from the opposite direction and I can’t swerve around it in time to avoid it… wait, let me show you.”

Reaching for the whistle hanging around his neck, he blew a singular note—and the Salamence that had since flown off suddenly came hurtling back towards them at full fucking speed, roaring at them to get the hell out of the way or get knocked off and fall!

“WHOA!” he yelled as he suddenly did a quick reverse barrel roll, before the Salamence roared and suddenly cut over towards where Josh was hovering on his own…

Would he be able to get out of the way in time?

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,106 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
wind [dw]
POSTED ON Oct 21, 2022 8:27:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh intently listened to Alex's tutorial on evasive maneuvers. He didn't even give the opportunity for the intermediate pilot to ask questions before Gabriel gave a demonstration, charging at Alex at blinding speed. Both Kyouya's and Gabriel's moves were sudden, the bird's looking stressful.

With no ability to ask questions before Gabriel came screaming at Josh, he had to think fast. He flicked Slider's right side reins almost like one would flick a whip, similarly to how he would pulse a land Pokémon's reins to initiate a jump. Josh could have sworn he felt Gabriel graze him as his mount wildly rolled clockwise. The abrupt maneuver left him dazed, Slider slowing to calm, low speed flight to ensure his rider would be okay.

"Wow," Josh's jaw dropped. "Your Salamence is amazing. I'm raising a Bagon for the Gym myself." He strived to acquire as many different ride Pokémon as he could, so he could use the races to educate his non-qualifying challengers on how to better control their partners. "I...I kind of want to fly on him now." He had extended such an offer to many travelers before, having fond memories of seeing new trainers experience the joy of riding his giant Eeveelutions. Now, would Alex return the favor?

{WC: 212}
{PC: 11}