1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2022 22:58:19 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

he was just visiting. that was the plan.

the bar was dark, and not too busy. he’d kept his hood up on his way in, and it was nighttime. he had a routine, now, on the occasions that he came here, which had once been rare but for the past month had been every friday night. that was one of at least two mistakes.

having finished with the person he was there to see, he was slipping out the back door again, only to catch a sucker punch in the face from someone waiting on the wall.

”the fuck—“

there was a hoot and holler, and a laugh. ”get his ass!”

there was hardly enough time to see who it was in front of him before he was slipping the next punch to throw one of his own. then, the wolves in his blind spot descended.

it was one against three, plus the two that were walking towards them from the other end of the alley, pokeballs in hand. meanwhile, bo was too occupied to reach for his at first, soon finding his world knocked sideways by someone he would’ve easily been able to match three years ago.

from behind, he felt the sharp teeth of a mightyena piece deep into his calf, drawing blood and a cry of surprise and pain.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2022 23:31:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He's just heading out for a smoke. That's the plan, anyway, but when he opens the back door to hooting and hollering, Gavin knows he won't be so lucky to be allowed to smoke in peace.

"Hey, boss," earns only a roll of his eyes as he lights up his cigarette, tilting his head back against the brick. He fully intends to ignore the ruckus going on around him, even with their Mightyena tearing at someone's leg.

"What did this one do?"

With his hood up, Gavin doesn't recognize .

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
BROKEN GLASS IN EVERY TREE
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 16:48:33 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
the pain was excruciating. his leg buckled unexpectedly, and his hood was ripped off his head to yank him down further. his arms came up to shield his head as he found himself at level with too many kicks.

boss.

surely not, right? but if it was someone high up, maybe they could vouch for him—if he could just see who it was…

crumbling, he was finally able to reach a pokéball near his belt. he released it, unsure which one it was. moments later, a barbaracle was a swinging around to deliver a skull bash, sending the mightyena flying into the wall next to gavin with a sharp yelp.

blood ran onto the concrete from bo’s leg as he continued to try and defend himself from the ground. his barbaracle was making quick work of his attackers, but the mightyena was soon bounding back towards it, latching on with sharp teeth and swinging from the pokemon’s arm.

eventually, through a blurred, bloody vision, he was able to steal a glance over at the familiar face nearby.

”gavin!”

just in time for another kick to the face.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 17:42:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He doesn't get an answer. The goons are too busy with their newest chew toy, unable to hear his softspoken question over their raucous laughter. That was fine. He'd get an answer afterwards.

Mightyena slams into the wall nearby with a yelp.

The alley smells like blood. (Like Kanto.)

"Gavin!"

Surprised to hear his name from the victim's mouth, he turns his head and takes in the now-hoodless and bloodied visage of . Indifference shifts to shock before he stubs his cigarette out on the wall.

"ENOUGH."

The command echoes loud in the confined space. Half of them listen, stilled into fearful silence, while the others protest the loss of their punching bag. He deserves it seems to be the general consensus, mumbled agreements rising even from those less willing to fight. Unmoved, Gavin has only to reach for a pokeball at his belt for the rest to stand down.

"Clear out. I'll handle this one."

They're not happy about it, but neither do they dare defiance. When they're alone in the alleyway, the embers of Gavin's cigarette dying against brick, the underboss fixes his former mentor with a searching stare.

"Bo. What happened?"

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2022 0:57:06 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
his head swam as he struggled for consciousness. he’d been beat badly before, but this time was up there with the worst. it might’ve been the worst. as they ran off, he spat blood onto the ground, in pain all over, breath ragged.

this was what he got for trying to walk a thin line that didn’t really exist. there were no gray pieces in hoenn’s violent game of chess.

gavin’s voice came in ringing ears. he was still on the ground, holding his leg. it felt terrible, and it was probably even worse than it felt. He didn’t want to look at it, but he knew he had to deal with it soon.

’what the fuck does it look like?’ is what he wanted to ask, at gavin’s question.

”they jumped me,” he coughed. ”i didn’t do anything.”

his barbaracle stood by, scowling at the disappearing backs of bo's attackers.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2022 1:08:00 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He looks bad. Gavin may give off every impression that 's state doesn't phase him, but his stomach churns at the sight of the other's mangled leg. It's just meat, he'd tell himself in Kanto, but they're not in Kanto anymore.

"I want to believe that. I do."

But does he?

Bo had abandoned them. For his family, yes, for his future, but it made little difference to the ones he'd left behind.

After a pause, Gavin curls his fingers around a luxury ball. "Stay still," he advises, calm of tone, then releases a wild-eyed Zarude into the alleyway. A GRASSY TERRAIN spreads around the primate before it leaps onto the building's roof, peering down with a suspicious glare. Gavin clicks his tongue.

Zarude howls, leaping down into the grass that sprouts between cracks in the pavement. JUNGLE HEALING spreads from verdant blooms.

"It's the only healer I have on hand." He's not about to abandon Bo to go find a Rotomi. "It'll stop you from bleeding out, at least. What were you doing here?" Before they attacked you is implied.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 0:28:46 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
this was definitely going to hurt for a while regardless of what healed him.
at gavin’s initial words, bo realized, more at that moment than any other so far, he should’ve never come here—and if he made it home, he’d sure as hell never come back.

zarude stopped the bleeding, and, mad as he was, bo said anyways, ”thanks.” not trying to stand just yet, he then pushed to a more comfortable position still seated on the ground.

catching his breath, he looked over. blood was smeared across his face. a mess.

”i’ve just been coming here to visit a friend of my dad’s.” not just for the company, but to keep up with him, because he didn’t talk to his father anymore, nor did he ask or about him.

”nothing weird. nothing to worry about. you know i come in peace.” fuck that now, though. things had changed, but gavin didn’t need to know that yet. not if he wanted to make it out of this city alive.

he shook his head, sick of all of it.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 15:10:52 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's eyes narrow, suspicion plain alongside the press of his lips. It's not that he thinks is lying, necessarily, but what man could be so important as to risk one's life in a city that loathed you?

"Perhaps I don't doubt your intentions," he allows, inclining his head, "but surely you know that doesn't extend to the whole of Rocket. You may not be on any official list," for none who'd left under the safety of Cadis' emancipation were, "but there are those who don't care for the bureaucracy enough to abstain from..." He gestures around them, as if to say this.

They would be punished in the aftermath, to slaughter in Sootopolis a man who was not considered a target, but many of them did not care. They were from an era where terror and bloodlust had reigned, not law and order.

"I don't agree with them," he adds, clarifying, "but neither can I stop what I'm not around to witness."

Zarude's pokeball is clipped back to his belt, though the primate remains in the alley, scrambling back up the wall when it's not given another immediate order. Its GRASSY TERRAIN lingers.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2022 15:41:51 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

how did he agree with gavin without saying ‘i should’ve known not to trust any of you’?

despite his mistakes, family had meant the most to bo. as the oldest of brothers, he’d been told it was his job to be there. to protect, and to support. when his dad had told him, of rocket, ‘this is your family now’, he had taken it to heart.

for two years, he’d given himself to them. when he’d left to finally tend to more of his own that he’d failed, he had taken for granted that his new brothers and sisters would understand.

then, naivety had turned into complacent denial as he’d aged into his position. he was climbing the league’s ladder now. the agreement for peace had been made when he was still a nobody. many things had changed. some people had never liked him, anyways.

”yeah, well…” he took a tired breath, and then pushed himself up on the weight of his good leg with a grimace. he had eyes like a wounded dog, pissed off but knowing than to bare teeth. ”learned my lesson, i guess.”

he’d had faith in his barbaracle, honestly. been moments from reaching for the other one, and he would’ve made it out. that’s what he told himself—and he wasn’t wrong. he’d be thankful, but he wouldn’t feel indebted to any of these people anymore.

”so i'm free to go?”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2022 18:47:36 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
There's been a shift in , a bitterness not earlier present. It could easily be chalked up to unfortunate circumstances but Gavin's own paranoia leads him to make note. This is a different man than the one who'd once been a mentor, a friend.

Not a traitor, no longer an ally.

Must he be added to the list, with the rest of his family?

Brows arch to vanish beneath his fringe at the question, scarred hand gesturing lazily to the alley's mouth. "Would I have offered aid if I intended to stop you?" His Zarude continues to howl from its perch on a building's eave. Gavin ignores it. "Of course you're free to go."

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 15, 2022 23:07:54 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
had he ever really been an ally? maybe, maybe not. during his first days out of rocket, he’d been worried about being followed and knocked off, even despite the promise of a peaceful exit. his father had stayed in his ear to make him believe that he was still a part of things, and that he could never truly get out no matter how hard he tried. it was his home, and he would always go home eventually.

he was writing his own destiny now.

spitting and wiping blood from his face, he winced again as he stood up taller, weight almost entirely on his good leg. his barbaracle lingered nearby, just in case he needed a hand.

would gavin have offered his aid otherwise? bo figured there was another option that wasn’t saving him or leaving him for dead, and it was imprisonment for something like trespassing perhaps, but he didn’t mention it.

”guess not.”

before he left, he hesitated.

”why, though? it would’ve been easy just to let that happen. in the case they killed me, nobody would’ve known.” and it would have been another league power taken care of. a traitor, as his father had called him.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 2:34:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Why, though?"

It's a loaded question.

"If you want a job done right, do it yourself." Now that things have calmed down, Gavin resumes his smoke break by pulling the carton from his pocket. He offers it to out of courtesy before pocketing and lighting up. Smoke traces the pattern of his exhale, black wisps of miasma mingling with grey. "If I wanted you dead, I wouldn't send those clowns. You left under Cadis' amnesty. He promoted me to underboss." It's the first time he's confirmed his rank to a member of the League, but there's zero hesitation. Let them know. Let them fear. "I respect his law."

It's more than that. He'd respected Bo, too, once upon a time. Relied on him when it felt like his world was falling apart. But those days are gone, like the embers of his cigarette scattered to the wind.

Show no weakness.

There is no more room for sentimentality.

"And you haven't stood in our way."

A threat, unspoken. Should that change, I won't hesitate.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2022 2:11:25 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
it was spooky to hear those first words leave gavin’s lips. bo nearly felt his heartbeat quicken, prepared for another fight, however illogical it would have been. he didn’t dare let it reach his face.

then, the explanation brought him back down—but his old friend’s reasoning wasn’t that they’d spent time together in the past, and had each other’s backs. it wasn’t because of what bo had taught him. at least, that wasn’t what he said. maybe it was look in bo’s eye that he didn’t realize was there that had changed things, or maybe it was the distrust in the question itself.

regardless, things were different now. and gavin was an underboss.

bo was wordless for a long moment, as though letting it sink in for both of them. silent implications hung in the air.

he nodded finally.

”i only did what i had to. you know that.”

his gold eyes lingered for another moment. ”thanks, gavin.” and then he turn his back and walk the other way, in one final show of trust.
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,989 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
dog bite
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2022 0:16:19 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: