5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Probation Hearing [S/Lars][C][Past]
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2022 5:21:02 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was August 7, 2022, the day after the big Ranger potluck held in Lilycove City. He had come to the Head Rangers' office to do three things. First, he needed to pick up the tub he had brought to the potluck; the meeting went so late that the restaurant he had gotten it from had closed. He needed to return it to them today. Second, he needed to made sure Matt got his pair of HoloWear glasses he was due from .

Third, and most importantly, was being present for his probation hearing. Both he and Matt were quite out of line for their unprofessional behavior that evening. The difference was Josh had immediately admitted to his mistake, and Matt had not. That would certainly bear some weight on the severity of his punishment. The Head Ranger had made it abundantly clear that there would be some kind of suspension issued.

Josh withdrew his Pokémon, making sure Matt had done so as well, before leading his friend inside the large Lilycove Ranger Headquarters building and toward Head Ranger Lars' office. Dressed in his new red Ranger uniform, he knocked on the door and called out, "It's me, Rookie--er, Cadet Josh Devlin. I'm here."

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Bladestorm    Skarmory       Good
Nitro         Gogoat         Good
Twilight      Absol          Good
Resheph       Dragonair      Good

{WC: 206}
{PC: 1}

Note: For OOC reasons, Galaxy does not want to participate in this thread. Per Discord DMs, he has given permission for his character to be puppeted through this thread.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 6:05:35 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He had a headache, for lack of a better word.

Honestly, the meeting that had recently happened was more than enough for him to look for some tequila he’d hidden… well, he had to be sober for today because there was a grand total of four suspensions he had to dish out.

Today was going to be two of those. He hoped the other two would be handled by their immediate superiors…

“Sit,” he began quietly, indicating the two chairs that were on the opposite side of the desk. Surprisingly there were no papers present on the desk—he’d made sure to clear out the paperwork before today.

This wasn’t going to be pretty, however it had to be done.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 6:14:27 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had just got back from returning the tub that had his steak fries in it. Thankfully the restaurant was open as early as 11 AM, though the bar was not yet open. That way, he could still make his probation hearing with Matt. Unsurprisingly, the two didn't seem particularly happy to be in the Head Ranger's presence. With the room being large enough to have a Pokémon out, now that it wasn't filled with over twenty people, the racer let out his Manectric to keep him company.

"Good afternoon, Head Ranger Anderson," Josh greeted the head honcho of the Hoenn Rangers, dressed in his new red uniform that had arrived in Fortree while he was gone. He took a seat as instructed, stretching his arms over the long table. Matt also took a seat near Josh, a silent stare the only communication either one of them got. "You don't have to mince words around me. Just tell it like it is."

{WC: 163}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 6:44:54 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I was hoping to meet the two of you under more favorable circumstances,” he continued in the same quiet voice, doing the infamous finger-steepling stance while looking over at them from the opposite side of the desk.

“However, well, circumstances notwithstanding here we are.”

He took another quiet breath, wondering how he was even going to start this.

“Why did you both react to what had happened?” he continued next. “I was hoping to avoid having to hand out suspensions like this, but the incident that went down was definitely unprofessional and irresponsible.”

He scowled for a bit.

“Why did you rise to the bait?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 7:04:28 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Matt clearly didn't want to own up to his mistake, remaining completely silent. Josh, on the other hand, was ready to defend both of them. "So, as I said last night, this all started with belittling Matt. Matt might not have been comfortable around so many high ranking Rangers. We've known each other since before he became a Ranger. I sent you an email about why he acted the way he did." The reason was because of Matt's social anxiety, which is the primary reason Ranging appealed to him. It was a good job that he didn't have to regularly interact with people in mostly social situations. "For that reason, he didn't take it too well."

"As for me, I was merely standing up for my friend. I already told you last night. You don't have to tell me again. I shouldn't have yelled. But I can't do anything about that now." His eyes shifted toward Matt, then back toward the Head Ranger again. "I have a lot of personal investment in Matt. His recruitment is one of the reasons I'm even in this red uniform today. I feel he has strong aptitude as a Ranger, and that one incident has nothing to do with his performance in the field. He got heated trying to defend himself, and I got heated defending him. Both of us were clearly wrong. I just could not stand for Razz bullying Matt like he did." Josh's normal smile turned upside down. He wasn't sure how Lars was going to take such a weak and simple justification, but it was the truth. All he was doing that night was standing up for his friend. "I still think Razz needs to apologize to both of us. It really felt like he was trying to drive a wedge between us because we're still new."

{WC: 308}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 8:13:19 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The moment he mentioned , his eyebrows furrowed.

Boy, this was going to be… a really touchy subject to deal with.

And then he sighed.

Much as he didn’t want to throw shade about the other, well, there were some ugly facts that were going to come to light.

(He also had a host of opinions about the other man, mostly about how and why he’d aligned himself with but those were neither here nor there. At least, not yet anyway.)

“He’s getting a suspension too. Although I may be met with some resistance.”

He let out a minute sigh.

“With a gathering as large as that, it’s unavoidable that tempers would flare, and people’s opinions would clash—I would have to agree that he was out of line.”

His nostrils flared.

“Little problem is he doesn’t exactly report to me directly anymore.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 8:24:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh breathed a big sigh of relief when he found out that karma was going to catch up with Razz after all. "Thank you. I'm glad you agree with me." He rolled his eyes at Lars' acknowledgment of the potential for escalations, given both the size of the crowd and the many ideologies its members were subscribed to. After all, the Rangers were by far the most loosely collected organization in the League. They were still important, yes, but their connections were much more loose than Law Enforcement, the Gyms, or anything of the like.

"...That would be a problem, wouldn't it?" Matt rolled his eyes, getting sick and tired of hearing about Razz's special position within the Rangers. He had things to do; he just wanted to find out what his punishment would be and leave. He even nudged Josh to try to get things moving. "Must be subcontracted, then. But that's neither here nor there. How long do we have to hang up our uniforms for, Mr. Anderson?" He hoped it wouldn't be too long; while Josh had ample savings, going without a steady paycheck for any amount of time was going to hurt.

{WC: 196}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 8:41:37 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Hopefully not. And I intend to send the suspension out at the soonest possible time.”

He then unfolded his fingers before reaching for a pen and a piece of paper.

Seeing as someone’s getting deliberately antsy here, might as well speed up the entire shebang, he thought as the scowl lines further deepened on his face.

“Cadet Vice, for the meantime you’ll have to complete three missions under supervision. Once those three missions have been completed, then you’ll be reinstated. Until then, you’re temporarily relieved from receiving any additional mission completion objectives. I’ll see to it that Cadet Devlin over here hands in the paperwork for your probation, seeing as how he’s put so much faith in you.”

He was not an unkind individual, of course. This was going to be a chance for them both to prove themselves. With a wave of his hand, he indicated that the other was free to leave.

“As for you…” he trailed off, giving the younger Josh this completely frigid stare.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 8:56:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Matt was...surprised at how lenient his punishment was. Not even a single day where he couldn't work at all. Sure, he couldn't work without a supervisor for three missions, but that wouldn't be a big deal at all! With how much work he did under Josh, those would be completed in a jiffy! He nodded toward Lars before suddenly taking his leave, leaving Josh and the Head Ranger in the room alone.

When Lars addressed Josh, particularly alone, it was as though the temperature in the room dropped a full forty degrees Fahrenheit. To him, it felt it like went from room temperature to just above freezing. He even started shivering in his uniform, doing his best to listen despite the sudden wicked cold that felt like it came out of Shoal Cave. "W-w-what about me?"

When Lars was done delivering his suspension, there was one more thing he wanted to bring up, now that the two of them were alone. After he had pulled his arms inside his shirt, he started to feel a little warmed. "Head Ranger, there is one other thing I'd like to talk to you about, now that it's just us. Remember when I said I was going to pursue Raikou? I'm serious about it. Ever since the Cloud thing happened, I've just felt like he's looking for me, and I'm looking for him. I don't get why, but I can't stop thinking about it." By now, Lars had been emailed the full details of what the Ranger remembered from his journeys within the digital space, including his vivid memory of seeing Raikou and his entire team killed by spears of light.

{WC: 278}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 11:19:19 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Once the other had left the room, it was time for the hammer axe to fall.

“The good thing about this is that you manned up and apologized about what you did,” he continued quietly. The temperature in the room did go down several degrees and he’d steepled his fingers again in that same gesture earlier.

“In your case, you can’t go on missions alone or as the commanding officer. Someone else will have to oversee those missions. And you’re suspended from receiving additional mission objective rewards until October 31.”

Hopefully, nothing too fucking drastic would happen during that time. And hopefully that was enough of a time to think about what had happened.

Anyway…

“I… was going to comment about the Raikou thing,” he continued quietly.

“You… declaring that in front of a lot of people… that’s… that’s risky.”

He bit back a loud sigh. Who the fuck else knew what other shit was waiting out there. The way the other had just casually mentioned it, in a room full of people no less, that was—

Who knew if there was an ominous wind tiding down on them all.

“I—I have to warn you, though.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 17:49:24 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's jaw dropped, the young Ranger shivering again. While he was grateful it wasn't a full suspension, three months of probation was a long time. He would still be able to do missions in full capacity. Getting a Ranger of a higher rank for every single one simply to supervise was going to be a pain in the ass, and a huge waste of resources. He at first wanted to protest, but still being allowed to operate immediately was a relief. "Hey, I'm getting really chilly. Can you turn the thermostat up a bit?" Really chilly was, of course, an understatement. It was like an icebox in the room. He simply couldn't take it anymore; he had to bring it up. Even Saber was shivering, letting out a whine.

Lars wasn't wrong. Declaring intent to pursue a Legendary Pokémon in front of that many people was a risk. "It's something has known about since before I became a Ranger. She is the reason I even became a Ranger in the first place. She was the first person I told about my dream..."

"So for my tenth birthday, I asked for the Electrike you saw as Saber. I asked for an Electrike, even though I knew they were difficult to raise, because it would be the closest I could ever get to..." He trailed off again, then minimized all the applications on his phone's screen, all the way down to his wallpaper: an artist's rendition of a first-person view from above Raikou's back. The creature's thundercloud was drawn in shocking detail. Just looking at the rendition made him tear up more, given his mental state. Beat. "...That," he said, turning the screen toward Elinor. "This is why I chose to be a Pokémon racer!" he raised his voice. "I WANT TO SEE HIM MYSELF!" Not once could Josh well up the courage to mention the majestic yet savage Pokémon by name. He couldn't help but fully break down in tears. Whether or not he actually had a connection to the Burned Tower Beast, he believed it so much that he felt deep down it just had to exist.

He cried for several minutes straight before turning his phone off completely. "I'm so sorry to have to put you through that, Elinor. It's already one in a million just to see him. But to get on his good side and forge a bond with him like with Saber...that's another one in a million on top of that. It's embarrassing. But I can't let it go." He shook his head. "Anyway, back to what you were saying. I don't think I could be a cop. I don't like the rigid code, and it's full time. Ranging, on the other hand..." He took another long pause. Maybe this was the start of a new journey: one where he could use his unique skillset for something more than the glory of competition.

"...It's not something I can commit to year round, because I don't want to give up my racing career. But...oh Arceus, count me in." Resheph let out an excited coo, though she stayed mostly still. Josh put his helmet back on and slammed his visor back down; it was a sign of almost arrogant confidence in his off-season career change. "You said you were a League officer, right? Where do I start?"

"And yesterday I found out she's on the Council. Obviously they can be trusted. And we're Rangers. We obviously can be trusted. That's why I shared my dream with so many people." He stopped when Lars tried to give words of warning. "I know - all it takes is one bad actor for the information to get in the wrong hands. But like I said, every single person in that room is a certified Ranger and can obviously be trusted." That comment, just like the Raikou remarks, was rather naive. He minimized his phone applications to show the wallpaper he had showed Elinor that day to the Head Ranger. "But yes, carry on." Little did Josh know that the information he desperately tried to keep out of bad actors' hands was already there, by the vector of ...

{WC: 702}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 8:08:27 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“There… was a reason why I didn’t say anything in front of everyone yesterday.”

His brows furrowed further.

“I’ve learned to be very careful, even around most people,” he began at last.

“Because you never know if the person you’re talking to is already a part of Team Rocket or no. Otherwise, that’s a fat-ass load of falsified papers that were processed before they were hired into the ranks. Which is. Concerning, to say the least.”

And then…

“Chasing after a legendary, in this day and age? I… I’m not sure if I can help you in that area, because… well, as far as I know those three—the one you want to chase after—is supposedly a part of a bigger group. I mean, you’re from their supposed home region, so I think you know how the story goes? How one of the two birds that call Johto home is the leader of the three, and how… how Lugia is supposedly the leader of the other group. I say supposedly, because. Well.”

He fell silent.

“I advise to be absolutely sure you’re sharing that information with people you can explicitly trust.”

A bit of a warning, because who knew if the damned-ass wormholes would open up again and start dumping even more of the nasties out… especially in these times when the region was closed off from everything else in the world right now.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 5:33:31 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"...Even around people you can trust," was Josh's first retort to the Head Ranger's remark. "There's a lot of paperwork that goes into applying to be a Ranger. Not as much as even a Minor League Gym applicant, but..." The racer and Cadet let out a bewildered sigh. The Rangers were already the spare tires of the League. If a member of Team Rocket wanted to infiltrate the League, the amount of paperwork and effort to become a Ranger versus the level of access one got to non-public League intelligence was simply not worth the effort. "Why the Rangers, though? Wouldn't Team Rocket have bigger Magikarp to fry?"

"Yes, the Great One, Ho-oh," Josh filled in Lars' blanks. "Whether it's true or not, I don't think we'll ever know. But I've always seen Ho-oh as the benevolent one and Lugia as the malevolent one, as far as disposition toward humans is concerned. The human allies those two seek, and their...subject Pokémon seek, for a lack of a better term, are like white pieces and black pieces on a chessboard. Diametrically opposed, yet similar in drive..."

Lars' last line was something Josh had already been doing. "That's what I had been doing; the list of people I had shared this with was very short and only people I can trust." It was a tragedy one of the people he trusted most also had a secret identity that could be used against him to destructive, even lethal effect. "And like I said, Rangers are scrutinized enough that they all should be able to be trusted."

With that, every topic Josh wanted to bring up had been discussed. "Anything else, Sir?"

{WC: 280}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 17:06:50 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“It’s to have eyes and ears everywhere. You know these organizations function. Always have their hands in as many pies as possible.”

He scowled for a bit at that.

At the mention of Lugia being malevolent, he could only hold back a cackle.

“Well, it might interest you that I’ve seen a Lugia that’s been corrupted. Smack in this region too,” he said nonchalantly, wondering what the other would think about it. Shit, now it got him thinking back to the time he actually encountered the danged thing, at the time Sootopolis was taken over by Team Rocket themselves.

Ugh.

At the mention of ‘anything else’, he couldn’t help but curl his lips into a smirk.

“Nothing much, for now. Make sure that Cadet Vice completes those three missions, otherwise that’s going to be a lot of missed pay. Same to you as well.”

He then waved his hand at the other, signifying that he was dismissed.

(And now he could light up his vape and take a deep drag.)

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,778 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Oct 10, 2022 4:18:18 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: