March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Alpha Status [S][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 24, 2022 5:01:18 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
For every answer gave Shalin a couple weeks ago, two new questions arose in her head. She had learned a lot about Prance, the Pokémon she now knew as a Wyrdeer. She had learned that two Pokémon she was interested in tracking down, Ursaring and Scyther, also had split evolution lines linked to the Distortions. She had even learned that an increase in unusually large Pokémon appearing in the wild, such as some of the Pokémon now on her team, were linked to the Distortions, as well.

While the scientist and Pokémon historian could not yet understand why unusually large Pokémon suddenly became more common, she did have a science sister, , to refer the perceptive Pokémon rider to. Her specialty was Pokémon genetics; as long as her well-behaved team didn't mind having a few samples taken, studying them would help both their understandings of what used to be known as the "Alpha Pokémon" phenomenon hundreds of years in the past.

Thankfully for her, her lab was on the outskirts of Lilycove City, a part of the city with far less strict noise ordinances. Shalin, astride her giant Queen Beedrill, flew toward the sprawling research facility's gate. She could have simply flown over the fence, but she knew scientists in particular did not appreciate sudden intrusions. Plus, there was probably added security, given that League research facilities like this one were prime Rocket targets. She instructed her Beedrill to gently point one of her foreleg stings, which she left uncovered--only her deadly rear barb was covered in the foam sphere this time--toward the buzzer's button. She let the ocean breeze blow her fine, green hair around as her highly unusual mount stretched her wings.

"Hi, Shalin Nariya. I have a 1 PM appointment with Dr. . She should know I'm coming."

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Flit          Yanmega        Good
Queen Zing    Beedrill       Good
Kiku          Skuntank       Good
Starr         Espeon         Good
Treble        Kommo-o        Good

{WC: 311}
{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,123 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2022 2:28:52 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana b"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]the scientist is alerted to the arrival with the sound of a buzzer and a voice echoing over an intercom a moment later.

"ms reyes, your appointment is here."

and her guest is not waiting longer than a few moments, greeted with the sight of the scientist emerging shortly after the buzzer has been pressed. a looming golurk trails slightly behind her, as if its become a part of her. and in a way, perhaps it has.

"hello, thank you for coming!"

she flashes a small yet welcoming smile.

" referred you, right?"

the text from her science sister is still relatively fresh in the mind. something about larger than usual pokemon and the possibility of it being a genetic defect sticks out more than the rest.

"follow me," she murmurs. her golurk rumbles softly and turns away, waiting for the scientist to begin leading them back inside. "we can talk more in the lab."

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2022 18:17:12 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Unlike Eva's lab, which was far from the facility's entrance, Illeana's lab was a lot closer. It was so close that Shalin wouldn't even need to ride Queen Zing to the building's entrance. She hung her Beedrill's reins at the end of her saddle and slid down. "I'm glad we could find time to meet," Shalin greeted the young woman, removing her earplugs so she could hear her better. "You're correct. she referred me to you for some questions I had about the abnormally large Pokémon that have been popping up in Hoenn in greater numbers." Queen Zing waved one of her foam-covered foreleg stings toward the renowned researcher. "This is one of them, Queen Zing. She's a Queen Beedrill that was one of the first Pokémon I ran into when I came to Hoenn in the summer."

When asked to follow her, Shalin obliged, withdrawing Queen Zing and tailing her down the advanced-looking building's corridors. "It's not that I don't mind the larger Pokémon. I love them. As someone who wants to see and learn what lies at the most remote corners of Hoenn, being able to ride on Pokémon species that are normally too small or not strong enough for it has been valuable, as you can imagine. Plus, who else can say they've flown on a Beedrill before?" If anything, she seemed a bit too excited about her strange quirk.

Provided there was space in her lab area once they got there, Shalin would send her saddled Beedrill back out for study. "I've been to several of those Space-Time Distortions before, and Queen Zing her feels almost...related to the so-called Alpha Pokémon that have been coming out of them. While she didn't have the blood-red eyes you see in Alpha Pokémon, she's clearly the same size as one. Have you, like me, noticed a relation between really big Pokémon showing up and these Distortions in general?"

{PC: 2}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Flit           Yanmega         Good
Queen Zing     Beedrill        Good
Kiku           Skuntank        Good
Starr          Espeon          Good
Treble         Kommo-o         Good
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,123 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2022 21:30:29 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she nods slowly in greeting to the giant beedrill, flashing a warm smile.

"it's a pleasure to meet you both."

and really, it is. she enjoys the thought of being sought out for help, as if it means she's still of use despite her demotion in ranking after aqua.

she chooses to stay quiet as they walk into the facility, humming softly over bits of information as shalin fills the air with curiosity. the mention of space-time distortions makes her head turn, following the picture being painted for her. pieces of a puzzle rise and it's up to them, perhaps, to place them in the correct order.

"she didn't come from a distortion, correct?"

while the distortions themselves are familiar to the scientist, the concept of alpha pokemon is still elusive. it makes sense until it doesn't, perhaps, and she's more interested in seeing things on a molecular level to understand more.

"i've heard of odd types of pokemon being found in distortions or even pokemon changing on a molecular level while within the chaotic walls of a distortion but i must admit, i'm a little unfamiliar with alpha pokemon."

when they enter her lab, she closes the door behind them with a click to ensure they're not interrupted. shalin and her beedrill do, after all, require illeana's full attention.

"would you mind if i take some blood samples? i'd like to look at queen zing's dna to compare it to the beedrill samples i have on file."

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2022 18:42:54 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Illeana was a fearless one, not showing even a bit of pause in the presence of the giant wasp that could skewer her in a split second. For a species known for unwarranted aggression, Queen Zing was remarkably well-behaved, which in and of itself had to make her a fascinating specimen to study. "I did not catch her inside of one," Shalin confirmed, "but I did catch her after the Distortions started showing up. She may have come from one, but I can't tell. She was the queen of her hive, and they are naturally quite a bit larger than most of their kind. It could just be a naturally occurring extreme size variation."

Being constantly in the field, even living in the wild in a Secret Base in Petalburg Woods, gave her lots of insight into the Distortions. Though Shalin didn't know it, Illeana had seen Alpha Pokémon before. Mauville's Gym Leader likely wouldn't have forgotten the gigantic Alpha Pyroar and Luxray that towered over him even while mounted.

When asked for a blood sample from her Pokémon, Shalin nodded. "No big deal at all! I have other similarly large Pokémon with me as well, but this one and Starr, my Espeon, are the most extreme of the bunch." If prompted, she would also send out the Shiny Espeon that was big enough to carry her across Hoenn, and had done so on multiple occasions. Her ability to teleport over short distances had saved her many times already.

{WC: 252}
{PC: 3}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Flit           Yanmega         Good
Queen Zing     Beedrill        Good
Kiku           Skuntank        Good
Starr          Espeon          Good
Treble         Kommo-o         Good
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,123 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 22:08:34 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]a hum of understanding escapes the scientist.

not captured within a distortion yet mirroring the size of some pokemon found within their walls... definitely a curious sort of existence.

her smile stretches with the telltale sign of warmth.

"we can get to the bottom of it today."

at least, they'll try their best to do so.

shalin agrees to the process of genetic inquiry and in doing so, solidifies illeana's thoughts a little further. with the comparison, they should have the answers they'll need to place the pieces together. she moves away for a moment, leaving her golurk to linger in her stead while she gathers materials. vials, gloves, tourniquet, gauze, bandages, alcohol swabs, needles, and a small tube are all carried back over in her arms.

and after a moment, she guides shalin and her beedrill over to a nearby examination table. there, she relieves her arms of the supplies by placing them on the table's clean surface.

"okay, that should be everything..."

her eyes return, then, to shalin, focused and expectant.

"are you both ready to begin?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2023 21:47:02 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin smiled at Illeana's assurance of help. "One thing I do want to say, though, is I've noticed since the distortions have started appearing, these really big Pokémon have been a lot more common in Hoenn's wilds. If you want to see more Pokémon like her, go track down Mauville Gym Leader . His Gym is full of them. Used to go to the arcade with him a bunch before he got that new job that's taking up all his time."

The procedure looked like it would be invasive, and Queen Zing looked apprehensive. It looked like there would be more than a simple blood sample taken, given how much medical gear the researcher had carried back. Shalin gently pat the side of her Beedrill's face, being careful not to touch her mandibles or large, red, compound eyes.

"It'll be over before you know it. Just close your eyes and relax," Shalin reassured the tense insect. "If you can't close your eyes, then just look away." Of course, doing either would be very difficult for the bug-type, her eyes giving her nearly 360-degree vision. "I think she wants a blanket to cover her face with so she can't see you drawing her blood. Other than that, we're good to go."

{WC: 212}
{PC: 4}

Starr         Espeon**       Good
Letheia       Ninetales      Good
Rielle        Vaporeon       Good
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,123 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2023 3:46:16 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]her movements still for a moment.

the information is food for thought. her mind devours it without leaving a single crumb, as if starved and ravenous. it groans and growls for more.

"is there any evidence to suggest the distortions and abnormally large pokemon are connected? have they been witnessed to stay in hoenn outside of a distortion's confines?"

there is, perhaps, a connection. she does not want to place any faith in such a theory unless the genetic structure lends itself as irrefutable evidence.

illeana blinks at the request. a blanket? does she even have one here?

"let me see if i have one..."

she turns, then, and scans every inch of her lab until she finds one shoved in a small corner. it's a little old, worn, and raggedy but it will do. she returns with it in hand, extended as an offering to shalin.

"will this suffice?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2023 6:36:52 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"Considering the really big Pokémon started showing up in great numbers the more distortions showed up in Hoenn, I would say so," Shalin conjectured. "They're still not exactly common, but they're not one-in-a-million like they used to be. I also noticed that when you capture a Pokémon from a distortion, its eyes don't glow red anymore." Ultimately, supporting evidence is what she was at Illeana's lab for.

Evidence that Queen Zing was, indeed, what was called a Former Alpha.

Shalin breathed a sigh of relief after the scientist's search for a blanket yielded positive results. While it wouldn't be good to sleep under, it would be good for the purposes Shalin needed it for. She got to work covering the enormous wasp's head, obscuring her vision while still allowing her to breathe normally. "Yep, she shouldn't be able to see a thing! You should be able to proceed with the blood draw with little trouble now."

{WC: 158}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,123 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 1:43:10 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]"it's possible, but i'll know for certain once i run some tests."

from her current standpoint, distortions are unearthly and entirely unpredictable, but she cannot place more faith in them than she already has. science has gotten the world this far... perhaps it will explain the stature of shalin's beedrill as well.

once shalin has wrapped the blanket around queen zing's head, illeana preps her station. needle, vial, alcohol swab, tubing. her gloves snap on a moment later and she looks to shalin when confirmation comes.

"okay."

she swabs the area first, touch gentle against the beedrill's body.

"there might be a little pinch..."

her words are soft as the needle goes into queen zing's skin. she braces for a slight struggle as she connects the tubing to the needle and feeds it into the vial. within moments, enough blood is gathered for her to gentle pull the needle out. after a moment, she caps the vial and settles a hand on the injection site, hand beginning to permeate pink mist.

any residual pain from the blood sample fades with her healing mist.

"i'll begin analysis now. give me a few minutes, please."

and with that, she retreats to the back of her lab to begin blood analysis with her machines.

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2023 6:10:42 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The small pinch didn't bother Queen Zing at all; it was being unable to get the needle out of her vision that made her afraid of injections. Compound eyes were as much of a curse as they were a blessing. She didn't think anything of the pink mist, figuring it was part of a medicine the geneticist had applied. "Got it!" Shalin chirped. "See you in a few!"

With that, she removed the blanket covering the giant bug-type's head. "You were so brave, Queen Zing," she said with her best motherly voice. The next few minutes were long and filled with anticipation. If the Distortion was indeed related, this would be a huge discovery, and would explain so many things, including the recent increase in aggression of wild Pokémon.

When Illeana returned, she would be able to see Queen Zing and Shalin embracing one another; it may have been fascinating to see, as Beedrill were known for their extreme aggression. Even in the hands of trainers, this kind of affection from the species was quite unusual.

{WC: 177}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,123 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jun 29, 2023 1:54:54 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]as machines whirr with the life of processing, illeana goes over the chart one more time.

physically, there is a noticeable size difference. genetically speaking, however... it could be a number of things: a mutation to the genetic structure, a birth defect, etc.

she holds off on casting judgement until the results are in hand. and even then, she reads them over three times just to be certain.

when she rejoins shalin and queen zing in the lab, a touching moment is on display. it's cute, she notes with a faint smile. cute and pleasant, something hoenn needs more of. less tension, more love.

it's never that simple, though, and she clears her throat before opening her mouth and drawing attention back to their task.

"results are ready."

an outstretched hand extends the papers toward shalin. she does not need to hold them in hand to know what they say.

"i compared queen zing's sample to another beedrill sample i had on file."

between the league and her own personal database, comparing samples has never been easier.

"from the analysis results, i do not believe it is something related to the appearance of distortions. while these larger pokemon might be transported from another place through the space-time distortion itself, the dna sample differs from that of the hisuian variants from these distortions."

her smile is patient, kind, as she continues.

"the abnormal size, instead, comes from a genetic sequence that is responsible for things like appearance, height, and weight. it is more luck than an abnormality to have the dna align in such a sequence, but it does not look to be a mutation caused by anything traceable. i tested for pokerus-y as well, but found no trace of the virus either."

it's not necessarily an answer that shalin might have been looking for, but it's the only solution she can offer.

"like us humans, pokemon are also born with different heights and growth rates locked into their genetics. they really aren't so different from us in that regard."

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2023 6:59:21 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
It was what Shalin longed to be: a light in Hoenn's perpetual darkness. A glimmer of hope in Hoenn's perpetual despair. A heroine to rout Hoenn's perpetual villains. Though she was not at her strongest battling others, she could battle Hoenn's elements like few could. She had been to some of the most dangerous, uncharted corners of the region, and she wouldn't be stopping anytime soon.

The results took Shalin by surprise. "Fascinating... so there is nothing unusual about the large Pokémon from the distortions other than the size?" She paused to collect her thoughts; the science had led her in a totally different direction. She came to the lab looking for answers to her questions, and was about to leave with more questions than she had.

It was a natural, grueling aspect of the scientific method.

"And yet that doesn't explain why so many big Pokémon like her have been showing up in Hoenn since the distortions came. This is going to require additional, original research, it seems. She's not the only one, either; I have an Espeon, Vaporeon, and Ninetales with me, too. They're not all as big as the Beedrill, but the same... size ratio... is that the right way to put it?" She stumbled over her words for a bit before shaking her head. "Size ratio. That's the best way I can think of to put it. It's too bad that they don't last long... anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Might be worth going out to one together if one pops up at an opportune moment." It was a long shot, given how busy she was with official League matters.

Her testing complete, Shalin withdrew her Beedrill and turned toward the lab entrance. "Thanks so much for everything. If we get the chance to meet again, I'll try to remember to bring some more of these really large Pokémon for you." With that, she swung the door open, walking through it and letting it close behind her.

{WC: 338}
{PC: 7}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights