Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 1, 2022 20:58:47 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]As soon as Isaac slipped out to use the bathroom, he knew he had precious little time to kick his plan into gear. Even with the time he bought himself by citing Taco Tuesday, you could only use the can for so long without being suspicious. Besides, Josh had to lock up for the night, and he couldn't just lock Isaac prisoner in the gym.[break][break]

There was somebody who could, though; specifically, himself. Isaac released a pair of Pokeballs, a Ralts and a Dhelmise appearing in front of him. "Echo, take this and get filming when I give you the cue," Isaac said, tossing a video camera over to the Ralts. He peeped happily as he held it up, stumbling a bit under its weight. "Sanford, I need you to make this look convincing. Punch m-"[break][break]

BONK! Isaac didn't even need to say it twice. One Power Whip slammed Isaac in the gut, and another whipped him right across the face. That was going to set into one nasty black eye. "Good job, buddy," Isaac wheezed, still doubled over from the direct hit. "Once I'm wrapped up, start filming, okay? And . . . now!"[break][break]

The genuine pain on Isaac's face helped sell the illusion as the Dhelmise coiled around Isaac. The chains dug into him tightly enough to shred his shirt, and he practically squeaked in pain from his ribs compressing in on themselves. Okay, maybe he should've asked anyone but Sanford. The Dhelmise wasn't great at the whole gentle touches thing.[break][break]

Despite the pain, it did the trick. Echo was able to record some very convincing shaky cam hostage footage of Sanford looming behind a chained up Isaac, occasionally tightening its anchor chain for emphasis. It was only a minute or so of footage, but that was all they needed.[break][break]

Once they were done, all it took was a quick change to cover up the scene of the incident. Isaac's jacket covered the damage done to his clothes, and his mask kept that black eye out of sight. Isaac was hurting. Blackjack was untouched. It was the perfect way to cover his tracks. Then, to avoid stalking through the halls, Echo teleported Isaac right under the rafters.[break][break]

"Kill the lights and put the spotlight on me. Trust me, this is gonna be badass," Isaac said. Echo nodded, warping away to where the room where the stadium's lights were maintained. One by one, she took the lights out, plunging the gym in darkness.[break][break]

And then a single spotlight lit up in the center of the gym, showing Isaac in all his Rocket-clad glory. It was showtime!

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,053 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 0:44:31 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh waved goodbye to and after giving them a tour of the Racing Grounds. It was certainly an extensive and impressive facility well beyond his wildest dreams. The League sure went all-out with funding their Gyms. Sure, some were skeptical about the amount of pork in Gym funding bills, but they were the pride of any region that was an IAPL member! "Alright, that's enough overtime for one day," Josh mumbled from. "Where's Isaac, though? He's been on the can for an awful long time. I should probably go check on him."

BZZZZTTTT!!!

Sparks flew from the Gym's overhead lighting system meant for races at late hours. They were normally used only at public night events, what with how expensive it was to keep an entire course sufficiently and safely lit. But now the entire gym had plunged into darkness.

WARNING! EMERGENCY IN SECTOR 3! POWER OVERLOAD DETECTED! MAIN POWER SYSTEM CRITICAL!

No more than a minute later, Josh received an urgent email from Shelly, his Gym's secretary.

An unidentified psychic Pokémon infiltrated the Gym's Operations Center in Sector 3 and has disabled critical safety features. As things stand, a power overload is imminent, which could result in substantial, even irreparable damage to the entire Gym. We have about 6 minutes. As you are the only one currently on site with access to the Operations Center, you need to get there as fast as you can and enter your override key. I know you're good at going fast. Now do it.

Josh immediately released his Pyroar, mounted up, and started pulsing his legs into the cat's sides. "Double time, Aslan! We gotta hurry!" Just as Aslan lunged forward, a single bright spotlight illuminated a familiar, yet unfamiliar, figure. Aslan's claws kicked up a lot of dirt and grass from the sudden deceleration. The lion reared higher than Josh thought was possible, finding himself nearly parallel to the ground at his peak and holding on for dear life. "...You!!!" the Mauville Leader screamed, pointing a finger at the figure under the bright spotlight.

6 MINUTES TO MAIN GENERATOR EXPLOSION.

{WC: 351}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Bladestorm    Skarmory       Good
Resheph       Dragonair      Good
Yagyu         Doublade       Good
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 1:10:50 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Excellent! Everything was going according to plan![break][break]

WARNING! EMERGENCY IN SECTOR 3! POWER OVERLOAD DETECTED! MAIN POWER SYSTEM CRITICAL![break][break]

Fuck! None of this was according to plan! "Seriously, Echo?" Isaac said, groaning as the realization settled in. "When I said "kill the lights", that was a metaphor! Ugh, Arceus, how the hell am I gonna sort this out . . ." Normally, detonating an entire gym would be considered cool and good in Rocket circles. But this was his friend's gym, damnit. Ugh, this was the worst motivational exercise ever![break][break]

Then came that familiar scream, and Isaac knew he had to get his game face on. He swallowed down his stress and spun around, jabbing a thumb at himself. "That's right, Josh. It's me!" he said, leaning into the theatrics in hopes of smothering his panic. "Your worst nightmare. Your arch enemy. And the only guy on this planet that can say 'I outran Josh Devlin, and it wasn't even close.' "[break][break]

Of course, when he did that, he had a bike with him. They were fighting on his terms, and it wasn't even close. But this time, things would be a little bit different. For one, they were on Josh's home turf. For second, there was no bike to be seen. Instead, Isaac whipped a Pokeball off of his belt with a flourish, throwing it down to reveal a saddled up Rhyhorn.[break][break]

Ugh. He'd totally love to milk this more, but these klaxxons are starting to drive him crazy. "Let's get to the point. You're here. I'm here. We're racing to the finish. Land. Sea. Air," Isaac said. "You win? I stop this. I win? . . . We'll see. Sound like a plan?"[break][break]

Isaac didn't give Josh a chance to object. He just slid onto Rampage's back, the Rhyhorn rumbling triumphantly as he turned to face the racetrack. "C'mon, Josh. It's time for your final exam." With that, he spurred his heel against the Rhyhorn's side, sending the ground-type charging down the track.[break][break]

As this went on, poor Echo was a flailing, panicking mess. Oh no! Oh no! He didn't mean to do that! Explosions were bad! The Ralts' bowl cut fluffed up in a panic as he ran across the power room, letting out distressed cries and meeps all the while. Any time he saw a flashing button, he threw himself on it in a panic, trying his damndest to try and undo the explosion before it even started. There had to be a way . . . right?

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,053 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 3:51:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's first instinct at seeing the nameless face others knew as Blackjack was to scream at him, send his Pokémon after him, and drag him back to Law Enforcement HQ for questioning. He did not have time for that. The clock was ticking. "I'm only holding my Pokémon back from mauling you because you saved my life. And I want to know why. But not now. I'll play along with your silly game for now. A Rhyhorn ain't outrunning Aslan, though."

The Pyroar snarled at Rampage, Isaac not even waiting for the countdown to start racing toward the Operations Room on the complete opposite side of the Racing Grounds. This was just like with the Drift King. And this was no ordinary track either. The courses of the Racing Grounds were cordoned off one another, land courses separated by the creeks forming the various aquatic ones. It would be anything but a straightforward sprint, though there would be no turns greater than 90 degrees as a result. The Pyroar would do well.

Josh squeezed Aslan's sides, spurring the Pyroar to nearly full speed from a standstill. He was already starting to get dizzy just from being blasted back in the saddle thanks to the whiplash of the intense acceleration. While Rampage had a lot of advantages, raw speed was not one of them. Once the Fire-type had the lead, he was not giving it back. "DOUBLE TEAM, Aslan!" With this race not being official, plus the urgency of his Gym's power generator on the verge of exploding, he had to coax every bit of speed out of his Pokémon possible. Even if it hurt them both physically to do so.

{WC: 283}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 4:05:53 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Talk a big game for someone that's never taken a life," said Isaac, who was either a raging hypocrite or speaking earnestly from experience. "But glad to see the League's payroll hasn't taken that sense of honor from you."[break][break]

Josh had a point. Rhyhorn wasn't the fastest Pokemon. At least, when it came to acceleration, it wasn't. In battle, they were notoriously slow, ponderous Pokemon due to having to constantly start, stop, turn, dodge, the whole nine yards. But on a straightaway, where their ponderous bulk could launch them forward without a care in the world? Their hard heads let them smash and crash through obstacles, and their weight and momentum made them some of the fastest Pokemon around in a drag race.[break][break]

"Let's see you Double Team around this!" Isaac said, Rampage launching a barrage of stones from her mouth. They weren't going to hit Aslan, of course. But they weren't aiming at him. Instead, they filled the straightaway ahead of Aslan, floating into the air like a carpet of landmines.[break][break]

If Aslan got too close to any of these Stealth Rocks, they would hurtle right into the Pyroar's side. Not only would this hurt extra against a Fire Type, but it would also make running full speed ahead a lot harder. Would Aslan be slowed by the sharp pains, or would he slowed by his own efforts at maneuvering around the Stealth Rocks?[break][break]

In contrast, Rampage would have no problem once she caught up to the stones. Instead, her powerful horn and sturdy head would allow her to careen through them without even breaking her stride. Would this be enough to let her catch up with Aslan, or would she need to break out a few more stops to make this an even match?[break][break]

All the while, Echo's bold "smash all the buttons" strategy wasn't paying off. Oh no, oh no, oh no. This was a problem! Quick, how else could he drain energy? Come on, come on, come on . . . oh! That's right! He had a move that did that! Running to the sparkiest, most troubled looking machine, Echo held it tight and gave it a Draining Kiss. Maybe if he drained the power from it, things wouldn't go boom?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,053 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 4:34:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The race with Blackjack being one that did not abide by Federation standards had its advantages, but it also had its drawbacks too. It brought Josh back to his studies of the first year of Federation racing, where limited attacking of other racers was allowed. It brought Josh back to the day he raced the Drift King, where he nearly got Twilight Side Attacked into the cliff face. This was far more dangerous than even that.

This was full contact. And a collision at hurricane speeds was going to hurt.

Rampage's STEALTH ROCK was a dirty trick, putting them right over Twist Road's bridge. Shaking his head, Josh sharply reined Aslan out of the way, bounding toward another course featuring a bridge over the same creek. The detour cost them double time. Not only did the lion have to swerve out of the way of the most direct path to the Operations Room, he would also have to swerve back around when he was clear of the Stealth Rocks.

Josh could not afford to have any more pain inflicted on Aslan than he already was, digging his heels into the cat's flanks with more force than he had before. The Pyroar was going to be sore after this one...even more so than after a normal race. He was behind, though his DOUBLE TEAM still being in effect helped him at least somewhat keep up with Isaac's mount. With Josh's mount still being at close to full strength, he would catch up in due time. Time he needed to take advantage of.

{WC: 262}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 4:44:32 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]With each second Rampage ran, she picked up speed. With each second Josh didn't throw an obstacle or attack her way, she picked up speed. With each moment she had the benefit of coasting on a straightaway, she picked up speed. Isaac's acceleration vs. top speed theorem was paying off dividends here.[break][break]

Aslan still had the lead, but not for long. He was going to have to swerve back onto the track soon, and as soon as Josh pulled the reins in that direction, Isaac tapped Rampage's side. "Full speed ahead, girl. End this before it even starts," he said. Rampage nodded, eyes tightening in focus as she lowered her horn.[break][break]

Normally, Rhyhorn weren't Pokemon very capable of acceleration. But against all odds, Isaac had come prepared for this little encounter. As soon as Josh steered Aslan back onto the track, the steady sound of footprints on turf turned into a one-mon stampede. Only the sound of Stealth Rocks shattering into pieces would give Josh a warning as to what Pokemon was rapidly rushing for Aslan's flank.[break][break]

Clad in a bright orange aura, Rampage's Giga Impact was as awesome as it was terrifying.[break][break]

If this got Aslan out of the way, Rampage might have been able to take the lead with few problems. And if it lead to a direct collision instead . . . well, this could spell an early end to their little skirmish. But there was no way this could end that easily, could it? As the Rhyhorn launched forward like a rocket, Isaac watched his frienemy with a mixture of concern and interest. C'mon, he had to have an answer for this![break][break]

Right?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,053 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 5:08:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
His lips puckered inward under his visor, Josh pulled his right arm back to get Aslan onto the main course again. He had picked the lead back up, but for how long? Josh's Pokémon were built to race in safe conditions, not what the two were involved in! Cross country racing was a whole different beast, that much was certain. The shattering of Stealth Rocks behind him was the only cue Josh needed to glance behind Aslan.

That was a full-speed Giga Impact headed his way. Her footfalls were rapid, heavy, and loud. Her gallop nothing short of violent. In a strange way, Josh felt bad for Blackjack. He had to deal with a violent gallop from his cats before, and it hurt. Aslan wasn't quite there, but another round of Double Team could send him over the edge. Josh instead went for a different tactic.

"Aslan, jump!" Josh strongly flicked the reins with both hands, ordering a high leap out of the lion. The Pyroar sprung skyward, his rider not even so much as reacting. He was in a near zen state. Nothing was going to break his concentration any time soon. He was going to win this race, make it to the Operations Room, and enter the override that would end this crisis.

5 MINUTES TO MAIN GENERATOR EXPLOSION.

{WC: 216}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 13:18:54 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Both men went right for risky tactics, but their risks paid off. Rampage's Giga Impact catapulted her into a commanding lead. Aslan's jump was the one thing stopping this fight from coming to a painful, untimely end. Had either party been a split second off, it would have been disaster for either of them. Hell, Rampage could practically feel the Pyroar's feet graze against her stony ridges.[break][break]

Without failure, there was only glory. Isaac was now leading this rodeo, and Josh? He was proving his worth as a gym leader. "Not bad," he said, looking over his shoulder towards Josh. "Would've been a shame if this little game ended early. But, remind me; what was that about never being outrun by a Rhyhorn?"[break][break]

"Never count your competition out til the last bell rings."[break][break)

Legitimate advice from a dear friebd, wrapped in the shell of bragging and boasting from a hated foe. Now this was more what Isaac was expecting! With his point made, Isaac turned back to the road, letting out a private sigh of relief. He may have been playing for keeps here, but that didn't mean he wanted to see his frienemy hurt.[break][break]

The orange aura of the Giga Impact started fading, and with it so too did Rampage's acceleration. If a Rhyhorn was a drag racer's dream, Giga Impact was its nitro. You only got so much of it, and the burnout was real. Nevertheless, Isaac gave the Rhyhorn a gentle pat between the head ridges. "Damn good job out there, buddy. Wind it on down, it's okay," he assured her. "But don't just let him have the lead. Make him work for it, eh?"[break][break]

The Rhyhorn nodded. After a Giga Impact, attacking or speeding up took way too much energy. But she could still swerve back and forth, and that was all she needed to do. Wherever Aslan tried to overtake her, Isaac would goad her to keep pace in front. If there was a collision, there was no way the spry lion came out of it better than the armored tank of a rhino. Aslan wouldn't have a hard time outmaneuvering her, but energy was still energy. And Isaac wanted to hammer his lesson in; any battle of wills was never over until it was over.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,053 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 17:53:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh wasn't happy about having his Pyroar give up the lead, but Rampage was acting true to her name. What mattered is they were still in the race, and in one piece. GIGA IMPACT was a tremendous speed boost, yes, but it came with the price of a wave of lethargy afterward. There was no short of trash talk from Blackjack, despite the rock-type looking like she could barely run. The Leader simply ignored his rival's words, laser focused on trying to pass the Rhyhorn.

The team ahead wasn't making it easy, though; every time Josh reined Aslan to one side, Isaac and Rampage were one step ahead of him. He had to try to fake them out, and it was clear that if those two had survived this long acting with such reckless abandon, they were brilliant and clever, too. Josh just had to next-level him. He went not for the fake, but for the double fake, at first confusing his feline ride. His goal was to get them to weave left as they went right.

Their actions did not matter much, though! A wide river that fed the aquatic courses cut across their direct path, and there was no jumping across it. He would need an aquatic ride without losing too much time. Josh took one hand off the reins long enough to undo the snap on Resheph's Poké Ball. He was ready to click the release button as soon as the Pyroar got to the riverbank, instructing his mount to hurl him toward the waves.

{WC: 258}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 0:00:58 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Rhyhorn just couldn't change direction very quickly, especially as they built their momentum back up. While Rampage's little trick worked out at first, each swerve was harder to pull off than the last. Finally, Josh got the pattern down, juking left and then quickly breaking right. Rampage wasn't able to adjust in time, and Aslan slipped past her right at the last hurdle.[break][break]

Rampage let out an offended bellow. She ducked her head low, preparing a Drill Run that would make this Pyroar learn his place. However, before she could, Isaac set a gentle hand on the back of her head. "Don't waste the energy. This leg's just about up, see?"[break][break]

A river stretched out into the distance. While theoretically Rhydon were capable of surfing, Rampage was most certainly not. She snorted in clear displeasure at how much water this gym had. Hoenn had too much of the stuff in general. Groudon did nothing wrong, damnit! But even if she found the stuff so tiresome to deal with, they'd still have to deal with it.[break][break]

Instead, Isaac slid down from Rampage's back to her forehead, nestling himself into the scooplike curve of her crest. "Get as close as you can and then fling me!" Isaac said, the Rhyhorn nodding. Closer . . . closer . . . closer . . . now! She bucked her head in a powerful Megahorn, and Isaac went flying.[break][break]

He smoothly rotated in midair, recalling Rampage with one hand and spiking another Pokeball into the water with his other. And then he vanished beneath the waves. In his place, a single Wishiwashi emerged.[break][break]

And then another. And then another. And then another. And then another still. That Pokeball must have been packed in like a can of sardines, because soon there were dozens of fish swimming together in the same direction. The cluster of fish swelled up, expanding like a balloon, before snapping into the shape of a massive Schooling Form.[break][break]

Who else would be on top but Isaac? Where a dorsal fin normally formed, instead he sat atop what may as well have been a throne of fish. A few other Wishiwashi stretched outwards from its back, forming a pair of hot rod style handlebars. Isaac didn't even waste time seeing who Josh brought to the table. After all, a Wishiwashi had eyes on the back of its head! And the sides of its body! And, in fact, everywhere, because it was a giant colony of fish vaguely arranged into a Pokemon. The outermost layers of "skin" could handle the intel. All he and the main body needed to do was get cruising.[break][break]

Round 2, fight!

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,053 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 0:31:55 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's gambit had worked! The jungle king's superior agility won out over Rampage's raw speed and power, the double fake being the answer to retake the lead. That lead could be short-lived, though. When the wide river's flow came into view, an explosion of embers flew from Aslan's paws, thrashing and bucking his rider off with power that scared even his trainer despite knowing it was coming.

As he went sailing into the air, Josh clicked the release switch on Resheph's Poké Ball, the Dragonair quick to catch him and float down to the river's surface to meet Blackjack and his Wishiwashi. He had already finished the leg that was his forte. He was great at Pokémon foot races. Aquatic and aerial races were much more challenging, as he only really got experience with those through his Gym Challenges.

Now was not the time to fret about a lack of experience, though; he had a job to do, or there would be no more Gym Challenges for him. Josh grabbed Resheph's reins and squeezed the serpentine Pokémon's sides for speed. The meandering curves of the front two-thirds of the Racing Grounds' difficult Quick Turn course stood between Josh and the Operations Center. Well, they were a bit more than meandering. Not like he could pick his battles anyway. "Keep as close to your unboosted top speed as you can, Resheph!" the Leader commanded. "I doubt there will be a chance for you to go into your Agility here...at least offensively. The turns are just too wild."

{WC: 259}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 1:06:48 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Quick turns? Lots of curves? Wishiwashi were far from the quickest in a direct race, but Isaac had lucked into the perfect Pokemon for the job here. Their swarm physiology allowed them to bend around turns with ease. Their many eyes allowed them to quickly react to upcoming turns and obstacles. And their large body meant that, if they got an early lead, they would have little to no trouble gumming up the track. What Isaac's Pokemon so far lacked in traditional racing acumen, they made up for in unpredictability.[break][break]

"Stay on it's tail and never let up," Isaac said, turning a Wishiwashi throttle to spur the rest into speeding up. The swarm spurred themselves forward, dozens if not hundreds of tiny tails beating in sync. "It can't dodge if it's wrapped around a curve. When the moment's right, fire at will!"[break][break]

Their chance would arrive sooner rather than later. The first curve was approaching, and Shiver was keeping Resheph in her sights. She waved her fins, launching individual Wishiwashi at the Dragonair with each motion. A single hit from one of these wouldn't do much, but they filled the water like bullets from a minigun.[break][break]

Worse still, each Wishiwashi's dorsal fin flicked out into a single glimmering scale. Resheph would have no trouble resisting water attacks, but these Scale Shots were actually perfect for piercing her own draconic scales. Taking too many hits from this barrage, especially this early on in the race, could prove a costly mistake.[break][break]

As Wishiwashi flooded from Shiver's swarm into the barrage, the school's shape started to thin out. Once resembling a large whale, it now had a more tapered, hydrodynamic look to it. Direct hits would deal more damage like this, but the once-bulky Pokemon was already starting to get faster. If Isaac kept using the move unimpeded, how speedy could he and Shiver get?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,053 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 2:13:59 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Wishiwashi was almost the perfect Pokémon for the course. If Resheph and Josh ever gave up the lead, the school could easily cover the width of the river and prevent them from passing Isaac for the length of the river. The switchbacks were dangerous enough for a Dragonair to navigate as is, Josh needing to do something he wasn't used to. Braking. If he was aboard his Sharpedo, these would be simple drifts. Unfortunately, his Sharpedo was in Pokémon storage, and wouldn't do him much good. Going underwater wasn't an option for Josh, either; his helmet, while a tight fit, was not water-tight. It would quickly fill with water and force him to retract his visor. That came with the dangers of hurricane-force winds flying in his face from how fast his Dragonair was moving.

Before Josh could hear the impact from Shiver's barrage of SCALE SHOTs, they had already flooded the water in front of them. "Jump it, Resheph!" the racer commanded, though not in time. He felt his mount's tail seize up at impact, the two coasting on momentum alone. Shiver's new shape let Isaac pass him easily. While the school were less numerous as a result, the attack shed less hydrodynamic sections of the water-type, making them even harder to catch.

Luckily for Josh, the river course's lone straight stretch was coming up, and he had a perfect retort in mind. "If this buffoon wants to play hardball, he's getting hardball. Resheph, ready your DRAGON RUSH." Both sets of her blue "weather orbs" started glowing a royal purple, filling with dragon energy that seeped out to surround herself and her rider. "Now!!" The Dragonair lowered her head, Josh holding on tight as his aquatic Pokémon attempted to spear the school.

4 MINUTES TO MAIN GENERATOR EXPLOSION.

{WC: 302}
{PC: 7}

Resheph       Dragonair      Fair

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Anarchy's Rainbow [M]
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 2:37:04 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Josh's latest strategy was to rush right towards Shiver.[break][break]

Good.[break][break]

"Rising tide, falling tide," Isaac whispered to Shiver's lead Wishiwashi, nestled right where the brain would be in a single-bodied organism. She nodded, bubbling orders towards the Wishiwashi adjacent to her. Those Wishiwashi bubbled towards the ones adjacent to them. So on, so forth, until the plan had rippled all across the Wishiwashi's body.[break][break]

Once Resheph was right on the Wishiwashi's tail, the entire swarm split itself in half. Some Wishiwashi were quicker on the draw than others. A good chunk of the innermost Wishwashi, and with it a good chunk of the swarm's vitality, were sent flying by the Dragonair's strike. However, the rest were able to avoid the Dragonair's rush entirely.[break][break]

In a vacuum, this was a mirror of the last blows that the duo had dealt to one another. One foe rushed heedlessly forward, and the other dodged to avoid the worst of the damage. But there was one key difference between the two. Josh's only goal was to get to the finish line as quickly as possible. Isaac, as Josh so eloquently put it, wanted to play hardball.[break][break]

The scattered Wishiwashi rushed back into place, clamping onto the Dragonair's body like a vicegrip made of fish. While individually they were weak, the combined weight and pressure of their bodies would be painful to shake off. The extra drag they provided would hopefully slow the Dragonair down, giving them time to pull themselves up the Dragonair's body to try and blunt the lead it currently held.[break][break]

As fish swarmed around, under, and even over the Dragonair, now Isaac and Josh would be practically atop the same Pokemon. Despite this degree of closeness, Isaac simply smiled at his foe. "Hey. You called that hardball back there?" he asked. "Let me show you what real hardball's like."[break][break]

The swarming Wishiwashi began to coalesce around Resheph's body. And then they started to strike. They formed all sorts of patterns as they struck; the horn of a Rhyhorn, the fang of a Crobat, the whip of a Dhelmise, the slice of a Doublade, and even the slap of a Ralts. And the strikes would continue, furiously and relentlessly, for as long as Shiver remained adhered onto Resheph.[break][break]

After all, when you sought to Beat Up your opponent, the only rules that applied were mob rules.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]