5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Barrel Behind the Curve [S][C/Lars]
POSTED ON Oct 9, 2022 6:16:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Normally, Josh wouldn't bother someone as busy as Head Ranger about something at night, particularly during prime time, but this was important, damn it. He had already contacted Councilwoman about this issue, but the higher-up Rangers needed to be made aware of it, particularly since Captain became Head Ranger herself. He had sent an urgent email to Lars earlier in the week, asking if it was possible to meet him at his League-subsidized duplex in Mauville City, several blocks south of his Gym.

Janus reached into Josh's mind, trying to say something to him, though his trainer didn't understand him yet. Telepathy was, just like anything else, a skill that needed to be honed. The Espeon climbed onto the sofa and sprawled all over it, Josh sitting in a nearby chair and turning on a game console he hadn't touched since he became a Gym Leader. He booted up his favorite futuristic racing game and played it while waiting for the Head Ranger to buzz at his door.

{WC: 171}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Janus         Espeon         Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2022 19:27:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The other Josh was lucky to know that Lars, thankfully, is more of an evening person—so the email didn’t go missed out on.

Although, so far from Lilycove? Looked pretty serious, though.

(He had his reasons for always wanting to meet in his office, mostly because he’d made sure that there were no bugs of any kind within those hallowed four walls. Absolutely sure. He’d done a pretty recent sweep through the place just two days ago!)

The only sign of his arrival would be a motorcycle’s engine coming to a humming halt before the engine was cut, some distance outside the complex.

It was a good thing he was already on his way back to Verdanturf, so this was a lucky stop along the way.

Eventually, the doorbell would ring a few times. Outside the door stood Lars, helmet tucked under one arm, several take-out plastic bags in the other hand.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2022 20:19:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was a good thing Josh was in between races when the doorbell rang, letting him leave the game on a screen with the next track's preview and a hard rock tune that played on a loop of a little over a minute. He had learned that given how quickly information spreads in Hoenn, telling the Rangers as a whole about his dream of befriending Raikou was the biggest mistake he had ever made. Only two months had passed, and already Josh had an attempt on his life. It was a brutal lesson learned, which is why he was being so tight-lipped. He sent Lars a follow-up email asking if that was him at the door.

Assuming he got a response, Josh unlocked and opened the door to greet the Head Ranger. "Thank you, Head Ranger, for taking the time to meet up with me at such an awkward hour of the night," Janus mentally conveyed friendly emotions to the guest, but did not float a single word into Lars' mind. "Have a seat. Any chair's good."

Once the two were settled, Josh squinting in pain as he sat on the sofa after signaling for Janus to make room for him, he took a deep breath. "Now what I'm about to share with you doesn't leave this room, okay? Some of this information is public, and some of it isn't. I'll start with what's public, then if I can get your word that this conversation won't leave this room, I'll keep going."

Regardless of whether Lars agreed, Josh would start with the public account. It wasn't well-known outside the sports world, but it would only be a matter of time before the mainstream media picked up on it. "So you might be aware that I became this city's Gym Leader not long ago. I just got out of the hospital today after an attempt on my life about a week and a half ago, when I was closing my Gym down for the day. I hae a lot of details I want only the higher-ups to know. You and Head Ranger Henderson, and any Captains you would trust with your life. This is serious stuff." He was shaking just thinking about the next time someone uncouth wanted to ensure a vacancy in the Leader's office, and not in a clean way.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 21, 2022 19:31:19 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

With the—okay, that was… he was older than this guy, but holy shit, damn, an email over a text? He chuckled quietly to himself as he waited for the door to be opened before stepping in.

“I was going to ask if you’re a shoes on or a shoes off kind of guy, but seeing as you want to get this done quickly, I’ll keep my boots on,” he began with a quiet gesture as he closed the door behind him (and wasn’t surprised to see the other had locked it).

Once he’d taken a position on one of the couches, he then placed the bags of take-out on the table.

“Figured you hadn’t eaten yet, so I came by with some drive-through,” he gestured before grabbing one of the boxes for himself and settling in to listen to just what the hell had happened to the other.

“Of course this is off the record, this stays between us. Oh, and for the record—you can call me Lars,” he added as a follow-up once he was done quietly opening his share of the take-out and going through it with a spoon.

At the mention that he was attacked, so early into his—his new assignment, he felt his brows furrow.

“An attack right on you? What the fuck,” he exclaimed as calmly as he could manage.

“Welcome to Hoenn, then,” he went on with this wry grin on his face as he consumed some of the take-out.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 21, 2022 22:02:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Oh, thank you!" Josh complimented, though his expectations may have been a bit low. The Head Ranger knew how to throw a party, after all. "No, it's okay! Make yourself comfortable. I can pick this game back up at any time." He looked inside to see what Lars had brought. "Alto Maren! Wow, you didn't have to do that. It's a good thing I usually eat supper late!" As Lars expected, Josh immediately locked the new door, and a heavier one at that; thankfully, the League subsidized much of the cost. Anything to protect their Gym Leaders. "I'll still call you Head Ranger Anderson at meetings, but outside that, Lars is great. Thank you. Must come with rising up the ranks, huh? Now that I've got my eyes on a blue uniform a few months out."

"Welcome to Hoenn?" Josh asked semi-rhetorically, dumbfounded as he dug into the pasta covered in white sauce. Lars was way too calm about this. Less than a month into a new Gym Leader's tenure, and someone already had a bounty on his head. "What's that supposed to mean? Are you saying the reason Hoenn's Gym Leaders shift so rapidly is because..." He trailed off; the words "of a high crime problem" would not come out of his mouth. "The League must be that desperate if they're promoting people like me out of the Minor League. Not like I can turn back now, anyway."

Josh was scared stiff. Lars was inferring that high League positions were the targets of assassination attempts and other high crimes on a routine basis. Had he knew the new position come with so much danger, he would never have agreed to the promotion. Hell, he never would have come back to Hoenn. But it was too late now. Even when the barrier was gone, it was too late. He was committed. "Ironic that for the costume contest this year, I dressed up as Raikou's 'Avatar' and called myself 'The Committed.' Because that's what I feel like now. That I have to see this through to the end, no matter what."

"Good to know my secrets are safe with you. So the investigators are keeping me in the loop with their findings, and they have reason to suspect either a member of the DRK Triad or someone working them is responsible for this." Josh let out a deep sigh before taking another bite of his pasta.

"As you know, they are Avatar hunters, and also of potential Avatars. The reason I shared my dream to befriend Raikou back at Lilycove was every single person in that room was a Ranger and therefore count be trusted. Other than that, only a select few people know, the vast majority of which are other Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, and Council members. People more than familiar with how NDA works." To Josh, his logic was sound. "It could also just be a Team Rocket thing, but the case is going cold fast. It may never be solved. However, I think this isn't a coincidence. Have you considered we might have a mole among our high-ranking Rangers, working undercover for the DRK Triad?"

{WC: 528}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 2:06:51 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Nothing like what the actual cuisine is back there, but as close enough as possible,” he continued as he went through the risotto he was now working his way through, before giving the little Josh the floor to share what he wanted to share.

Ah, and then a slight bump in the road.

“I said the same to when he first got here. What I meant by the welcome, is that you better be ready for all the strange-ass, fucking supernatural shit that’ll start happening one after another.”

He knew, because despite having left Hoenn for five years after he ran away from home and eventually returning once more, the region was mostly quiet—until approximately three years ago.

“I myself got shot on live television a couple months ago while attending a press conference with . I know you know someone got attacked in Fortree, a year ago, just because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

He… Lars didn’t want to go into detail about all the other attempts made on other higher-up League members’ lives.

When the other mentioned the Dark Triad, the spoon stopped in the box and he gave the other a very hard stare.

“Where… where did you hear about the Dark Triad?!”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 2:28:57 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar

Josh had not been exposed to his fair share of supernatural occurrences in Hoenn. He had met multiple high-ranking League officials with legendary Pokémon. He had been to the Cloud and back, and that was quite the supernatural place. Though the racer knew Lars swore like a sailor when not in public (and sometimes even in public, as was evident at the Lilycove meeting), he sounded especially serious now.

"You t-too...?" Josh stuttered. So it wasn't just Gym Leaders that were targeted, after all. It seemed to be all kinds of officials with high connections to the League. This was the third high-level assassination attempt Josh had heard of in the past year. And that one almost succeeded, from the Head Ranger's accounts. Janus' forehead crystal glowed red, trying to convey emotions of worry to both their minds. He wished he could communicate with his trainer's mind more directly, but his psychic powers were still too young.

"I thought I emailed that to you!" Josh replied in a defensive, almost snapping tone that reciprocated the one Lars had spoken to him before taking a couple of deep breaths and calming down. "In that email, I mentioned the DRK Triad alongside the name Maldacena while talking about my journey through the Cloud. It should be dated the day after the Lilycove meeting."

Josh logged into RangerNet to try to load the files he had found before with regards to the DRK Triad. Still restricted, most likely due to his probation status. "It was in the Cloud that I found out about the DRK Triad. Then after I qualified for my red uniform but before you suspended me, I went hunting on RangerNet and found a file on them. Unfortunately, it's restricted, probably due to the probation. Can you pull that file for me, please?"

{WC: 304}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 3:29:01 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

It was time for him to reveal how much he knew.

Fishing out his phone from a pocket, he then scrolled through several group messages, until he found the one that initially had spread the information of the familiar-looking symbol to everyone and showed him the actual thing.

“Old news to me.”

It was the same hexagonal symbol that the other had most likely seen in their sojourn through the Cloud.

“That’s been floating around for a while. And… unfortunately, yes, they target known and suspected people who may become Avatars in the future. I don’t know if you’d be part of that but I would still advise to be on your guard.”

He sighed before taking another spoonful of risotto.

Without him actually pulling the file, he was ready to give an explanation.

“See, there was this event that happened during summer. I think it was a year or so ago now,” he recounted. “Some kind of… thing where people were cooking for either a cat or a dog. You can ask about it he knows more about that than I do. The only information I have from that event is from what reports made it back to me.”

Anyway.

“So. Yeah. They can teleport through shadows. They… you know how Unown act? They… kind of? Act like that. Maybe. The fact that they can attack from within a person’s shadow is like. Scary.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 4:05:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Lars shared with Josh a lot of familiar information, then some unfamiliar. "That checks with some of the others I've been in touch with," he sighed. "Now I know why you told me I should have kept my dream a little closer to my heart." It went directly against what had told him... about sharing his dream. "I just felt everyone in that room... well, they're Rangers. I must have been naive to believe they could all be trusted. And yet only two months later--ow!" Josh rubbed his lower back against his seat the wrong way, agitating his wounds. He hissed and shook his head.

"We've been in touch both in and out of the Gym," Josh replied, pointing to his Hoenn Gym Badge case containing four Badges: 's Knockout Badge, 's Skyrider Badge, and his own two Gym Badges: one from his stint in the Minor League, and his current one. "Might have to make another appointment with the guy. He seems to know a lot more legends and just... the oddities of Hoenn's past. He knows about my bid for Raikou, too. I told him before I told you."

As terrifying as it was, Lars' account checked out, as well. "That's consistent with the doppelgangers in the Cloud, too. I don't remember any specifics, but I did report several people got attacked by their own shadow doppelgangers in there. And no matter how fast Raikou is, sitting on his thundercloud won't let us outrun our own shadows." It was almost like how Sableye attacked. That was a Pokémon he would prefer never to run into.

{WC: 269}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 4:20:34 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Sometimes, it’s better to have secrets of your own,” he nodded grimly as he continued eating quietly.

“More on the tales, maybe… if you’re going to ask about the ones native to Hoenn, I can tell you as much as I know about,” he offered. “Sootopolis born, but Alto Marean-raised before I returned here because. I made. Decisions. Back then. However, my mother, Weather Trio bless her soul wherever it is now, told me as much of the tales that she knew as she could while she was still alive.”

At the mention of the other happenings tied to the Dark Triad, the expression on his face grew grim.

“If they can come out of someone’s shadow, then no place would be arguably safe.”

He sighed again.

“Their first major manifestation was during the Star Soiree, sometime last year. That… that was also where disappeared because… because she was attacked by one of them and disappeared soon after.”

A chill traveled up his spine.

“This is why you have to be careful about who you share your dream with.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 4:36:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"And yet..." Josh trailed off. He knew that it was the exact opposite of Lars' advice that put him where he was today. "And yet, I would never have been in the position I'm in now if I had not shared that dream with a single person." That, of course, was Elinor, the Councilwoman who was the catalyst for setting everything in motion. "I know about them in passing. The titans of the earth, sea, and sky, the latter of which may be the fastest Pokémon in the world, legendary or no." Being born in Hoenn made a ton of sense as to why he knew so much about them. "Pureblood Johtonian here. It's part of the reason Raikou means so much to me."

The name Star Soiree came up, sounding unfamiliar to him. "Star Soiree? Was that a festival of some kind?" Josh asked with a shrug. "So much has happened in Hoenn in the last three years. You weren't kidding." He listened to the tale of Stormy's grisly demise, which made him visibly shiver. "I knew taking this path would put me in danger, Lars, but nothing like that. It's terrifying to think about. And yet..." the Mauville Leader went silent again. "And protecting Hoenn from them is enough of a reason to continue down this path. I said it at Lilycove, and I'll say it again: there ain't no getting off this train I'm on."

{WC: 239}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 7:14:26 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“That was an event, actually,” her clarified as he continued digging through the risotto he was consuming. “It was supposed to be a very normal stargazing event with a party, but then Unown started appearing in the midst of it all and shit went bonkers.”

That was basically it, for lack of a better word.

He then sighed as he reached for one of the two square tin containers and peeled the cover of one back, revealing a hearty-smelling carbonara. Well, at least this didn’t have cream or garlic in it so he was reassured of the authenticity…

“You better prepare yourself because once you get swept up in supernatural shit, there’s no more stopping the train you’ve ridden on. It’ll always follow you no matter where you go.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 7:34:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"...Unown?" Josh's jaw dropped just a little as he took a break to take a bite or two of his pasta covered in white sauce. "Just how many Ruins of Alph do we need to seal away before people get a clue that those things are nothing but bad news?" He was, of course, referring to their Mother Temple in Johto, where the species was first discovered. "Eldritch little buggers... do I even want to know what happened? The damage just a few of them can cause... let alone when there are a hundred or more..."

The smell of carbonara wafted through Josh's nostrils. "Whatever place you got that from is damn good. Gonna have to add them to my list." Lars cautioned Josh that there truly was no going back once he was involved in the supernatural. "I'm aware. And in order to change the future... the future that refuses to be changed... OUR future... there's no changing that without help. But I'm certain..." Tears started to form in the young man's eyes, reaching toward an end table for a medium-sized plush replica of the legendary Pokémon Raikou and clutching it closely. It was the same one he had kept at his desk at the Gym during long Friday nights submitting reports to the League.

"He's looking for me and I'm looking for him. I'm certain of it. He wants to rewrite the future just as much as I do. It's just going out there and finding him." Josh started breathing more heavily, his face turning red. "And despite the danger... this is my path. I know it sounds absurd, but I've had this faith in Raikou since I was young. I know it's going to put me a greater risk than even just being a Gym Leader. But it's something I just feel I have to do. It's not about me anymore. It's about Hoenn. About Johto. At this point, it's about the whole Arceus-damned WORLD!"

{WC: 329}
{PC: 8}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 7:49:15 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Yep. Fucking Unown,” he drawled as he fished out a forkful of the good stuff and ate it while the younger man processed his disbelief.

He was pretty sure that the Klink in the younger Josh’s head were spinning so fucking fast it was going to cause him to overheat—which did happen after he’d gone through some of the pasta.

“The cliff notes version is, shit went bonkers. The longer version is. Well, you know. The Dark Triad people started appearing and targeted avatars. Hell, someone who wasn’t an avatar was fucking targeted because they were a supposed avatar in another universe.”

That’s how dangerous shit had gotten.

He then took another breath.

“You gotta rein that enthusiasm in, you know,” he continued quietly. “Who knows if the Triad come after you next.”

Just like how they went after at the Star Soiree…

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2022 8:06:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh tried to lose himself in the decadence of his pasta's white sauce, but even that lost much of its taste at Lars' recounting of the events of Star Soiree. "I heard about these parallel worlds during my time in the Cloud," Josh mentioned, starting to calm down a little. Notably, the account of parallel worlds was not in any of the emails he had sent Lars about his Cyberchase Hell. Even Janus' forehead crystal was flickering, trying to convey to Lars to make his trainer's stressors go away. It was clear the discussion was causing a lot of stress for the fresh Gym Leader.

"Now it makes a ton of sense why the police think it's them behind the assassination," he added. "If they not only attack Avatars, but potential Avatars and even those whose persona in a parallel world is an Avatar, then that's a lot of people to go after." When asked to rein his emotions in, Josh retorted, "But if there's a mole within our Rangers, then the information is already in the hands of a bad vector."

"You said the Triad attack by jumping from shadows, correct?" he asked Lars to confirm. "Then one thing doesn't make sense to me. My attacker never attacked from the shadows. His Pokémon did, but that's par for the course for a Doublade. Other than essentially putting my gym on a giant time bomb and the battle being full contact, he raced me with honor. From what you're describing, that doesn't sound like the Triad at all."

{WC: 259}
{PC: 8}