fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
i get by, but it's hard to forget in the smoke of denial and the fog of regret.
awards
395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2022 23:59:37 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
"Everything looks in order."

Spoken as he combed through an itemized inventory, Gideon didn't even look up from the sheet of paper in his hands. He instead focused his attention on the cargo crates that had just delivered. They contained artifacts that needed to be analyzed within the lab before being put on display. Some were even designated to be off-exhibit because of their scientific importance and need for further study.

It was an impressive feat to get all of it here, within Gideon's laboratory, unharmed and intact. Recognition that deserved to be given aloud.

"Thank you again for your excellent work, Mr. Vestri."

Here he raised his gaze to make contact with the pilot's own. Coupled with an outstretched palm meant to be given as an appreciative handshake, Gideon made sure his contentment with their business transaction was known. He'd definitely be contracting out Angelo's services again at a later date.
close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 23:02:41 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[attr="class","angelocam"]
Placed smoothly into the personal laboratory of one , Slateport's National Museum of Natural History receives an important delivery nestled within a collection of cargo crates.

Thanks to Nautica, artefacts that had been newly discovered upon an island which could only be described as an archaeologists treasure trove, were now safe in the scientific communities hands.

That's the last of them.

After Angelo and his psychic pokémon have carefully set down all of the boxes in the sterile scented room, he passes the inventory over to Gideon to peruse and check.

There's a pen waiting for the professor to take once he was satisfied everything was in order, ready for the signature that would close the transaction. 

And thank you again for your and the museum's continued trust in Nautica, Mr Graves.

Hands connect in an appreciative shake, gratitude shared between the two men. Business contracts were a two-way street, after all and Gideon Graves had proven to be a reliable, beneficial client for Nautica. 

One that Angelo intended to continue. 

I'm sure you're familiar with the process by now but we'll forward you the final invoice in a few days. Usual rates apply. No additional charges, it all went smoothly.” Angelo smiles, business talk flowing with ease. 

When Gideon finishes signing Angelo takes back the inventory list, then rips off and hands the client the receipt sheet beneath. 

Paperwork. His favourite... 

So, is there anything in the collection that catches your eye in particular?” He asks conversationally, folding up Nautica's copy to tuck into his jacket breast pocket.

[newclass=.angelocam] [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam b] color: #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam i] color: #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Nov 27, 2022 21:24:39 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
Their usual business was conducted with a fluidity that spoke to the repetitive nature of the interaction. A signature is written, a receipt taken. Paperwork that Gideon was all too familiar with. Where Angelo tucked his copy into his jacket pocket, the professor slid his into his lab coat.

A quick mental note to hand the paper off to his accounting team is made before his attention was divided by Angelo's conversational inquiry.

"Hmm. Great question." Gideon held his left pointer finger to his lips in a thoughtful gesture, sweeping his gaze over each cargo crate as he considered the options in front of him.

"Some of more recent scientific significance include crystal shards from 99943 METENO." Those would not be put on display until they'd been properly analyzed. Even still, the larger slivers would likely be held back for the collections.

"There are also a few fossils that appear to be of an unidentified Pokémon species. Interestingly, they were all found clustered together." The fossils would need to be verified by experts, though, before any new species could be named.

"Probably the most compelling in my opinion are these older texts..." A hand is run across a crate with the label Castelia City, Unova. "They speak of a strange being with almost unlimited power."

Gideon turned to Angelo, a thin-lipped smile on his face. "Are they referring to a god or a fairytale? Or something in between? Who knows... half the excitement is figuring it out."

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2022 20:29:46 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
On his lips inches a curve, preluding the harmless mischief that spills effortlessly quick into the pause before small talk. “Thanks. It happens from time to time.

Paperwork folded away, business formalities slacken into something a little more casual as their transaction winds down. Angelo doesn't initiate conversation with every client after the final handshake but was a repeat contact and oft had some interesting information to part.

Usually about the artefacts Nautica had delivered to his office. It was interesting, plus more information helped him put a price on future discoveries made on his own time. 

Course. They are the hot topic lately.” He loosely folds his arms at the mention of 99943 Meteno. He'd like to know more about them, too. Especially since one was locked up in his safe. 

Next comes a collection of fossils and then Gideon's preferred personal choice - the tome that had made its way from Unova's shores. 

Angelo himself would have chosen the Meteno shard. But he supposed that was what separated the seekers of knowledge to fill their brains and pursuers of materials to fill their pockets. 

This world isn't lacking for gods and fairy tales. If you believe in pokémon to be such things.” Unconsciously, he leans back against the edge of a desk. An unspoken language of interest. “What is it about this one that's got your attention? Surely not the unlimited power, professor.

His smile hooks up in amusement, as if caught on the line he'd cast out.

[newclass=.angelocam] [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam b] color: #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam i] color: #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2022 2:36:27 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
had strayed into a trap that too many intellectuals were apt to set out - the lure of a musing conversation. He'd gotten Gideon started and the professor wasn't about to end his rumination anytime soon.

"The qualifications for being a god are rather subjective, aren't they? Omniscience, omnipotence... where does one draw the line? It's something that has been bent and flexed throughout history."

Gideon was by no means a religious man, either. Where some saw gods, he saw flesh and blood and a tangibility exclusive to mortal beings.

"Some Pokémon truly do hold astounding power. We've seen that time and time again here in Hoenn, especially recently." The likes of DIALGA and PALKIA came to mind, but there were even more still that had shown nearly incomprehensible abilities at places such as Mt. Pyre, Littleroot Town, and on 99943 METENO itself.

When Angelo asked about Gideon's interest in particular, the professor returned the pilot's smile in kind.

"Not the unlimited power itself, but the hint that it provides - that there's some unknown force out there that modern society has yet to discover. Or rediscover, I suppose."

Here Gideon, too, leaned back against a nearby lab bench.

"Science is about continuously striving to understand the world we live in. I want to add to that collective knowledge. So, while this stack of vellum," He gestured to the old texts that had started this line of conversation. "May look innocuous to many, I see a treasure map waiting to guide me to newfound information."

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2022 22:29:51 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
He'd gone and opened the box, hadn't he? 

Only, Angelo didn't mind the professor's impassioned conversation, finding intrigue in seeing what made the cogs turn and click beneath the surface. In finding clues as to what lies at 's centre. 

There's a hunger there, he spies. 

Angelo knew a thing or two about being hungry.

He also knew a thing or two about the desire of discovery. Although whether the scientist is also selective of the information he releases surrounding his findings also, remains a mystery.

A treasure map? You can't throw that word around in front of me, professor. I'll end up second guessing my price.” An impish grin pulls into place. It's presence brief. “But it's probably best left in the hands of yourself and the museum. Not everyone's intentions are going to be as noble as the pursuit of knowledge.

Especially not after Meteno, revelations having been trickling in slow down the grapevine towards Angelo's ears. Most of which grim. There was plenty out there who'd seek out this energy source, if it existed.

Himself included, perhaps?

Although, if you don't mind me playing devil's advocate, how are you certain that this energy of yours hasn't already been discovered? It's an old text, right?

Callused fingers take to his chin, thumb smoothing the scratchy surface of his jaw in contemplation. 

What's to say your book isn't talking about Primal or Infinity Energy,
” he says.

Scouting. 

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Dec 15, 2022 18:09:25 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
A hunger there was, indeed.

His words had been chosen carefully, of course, as they always were. Although he knew little of , Gideon reasoned that even the whisper of treasure would excite the man’s adventurous spirit. And so it did - with the added bonus of a lighthearted joke.

To this Gideon smiled, replying, “I admit, I do indulge in flowery language at times. The base sentiment still stands, though. We can learn a lot from these documents.

His gaze swept over the tomes once again before landing back on the pilot in front of him. His next avenue of conversation struck Gideon as quite intriguing.

Devil’s advocate? He could appreciate the stance and desire for debate.

I was thinking more in terms of the being itself, but,” Gideon paused here, taking a moment to consider Angelo’s words. “It’s source of power could potentially be either Primal or Infinity Energy, though the texts lead me to believe Infinity Energy is the more likely catalyst.

Gideon's interest was piqued, so he followed up with his own question.

"Are you interested in studying these types of energies, Mr. Vestri?"

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Dec 15, 2022 20:12:12 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
Tiny hooks in the forms of questions slowly begin to sink in to intrigued minds, keeping them ensnared in the conversation when they'd otherwise have drifted to attend to their respective days. 

Prying, until an opening presents itself for the taking. 

Primal Energy and Infinity Energy.

Both Angelo had held in his palms.

One crashing against him like a hungry tempest, threatening to break free and pull him into its devouring depths. While the other burns eternally hot without scorching flesh, whispering strange languages that he's yet to understand.

It's the latter that the pilot's eye is drawn.  

A soft chuckle breezes into the room of research, lively amongst a collection of inanimate and long passed. 

That depends.” He says, pushing himself away from the desk edge to stand, facing the museum curator. “Are you interested in sparing some time to talk to me about Infinity Energy, Professor Graves?

Charming propositions may smoothly pool from Angelo's lips but as he searches Gideon's expression like a globe, there's a weight in his eyes.  

There was a price to pay here, like all their good transactions had followed thus far.

Because if you're right about your texts, I might just have something to add to that treasure map of yours.

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 22:59:03 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
The professor watched as the pilot pushed himself off of the desk, but did not do so himself. Instead, he listened intently as the man waved what equated to a tantalizing piece of bait right in front of his nose. Gideon took it, of course, because it was too tempting not to.

Although he didn't know much, Gideon knew to be quite the seasoned traveler given the inherent transience of his profession. This, and the way that their conversation was beginning to lean, made him wonder what sorts of things Angelo had encountered out there in the world.

Something to add to ' treasure map, apparently.

"I am, actually." The professor responded with an arched eyebrow, a wry smile forming on his lips as he did so.

"I'll admit you've piqued my interest. Whatever it is, this something must be quite special."

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2022 19:27:29 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
It's definitely unique.” His mouth forms the word in such a way that it would be more apt to say mysterious or fucking strange. “Which is why I don't go around showing it off to everybody.

An unspoken expectation, conveyed in the weight of blue eyes on Gideon, tells him his price.

And why I'd like to keep it that way.

Should he show him what he'd found, then its Angelo's requirement that it stays out of the collective Gideon had previously mentioned. 

After all, it's exactly for that reason Angelo hadn't gone to Dr.  about it.

Last thing he wanted was to risk the information trickling down from the League's head scientist, into the pool of further reasons for the Aqua Initiative to dog him at his doorstep.

There were some cards he wanted to keep close to the chest, for a little while longer... 

Dipping his hand into his jacket, slowly the pilot retrieves a spherical object from the depths of his pocket, bringing it out into the light to view.

Cradled in his palm, Angelo holds out a glassy orb.

Fingertips press into the smooth, familiar shell of the Soul Dew in a gentle squeeze, its warmth seeping into his callused pads. For inside a red flame flickers in a quivering dance, alive and constant, within the confines of its chosen vessel.

A friend of mine told me it was Infinity Energy.” Angelo avoids dropping and Reshiram in by name intentionally, out of a sense of deep loyalty. “But, admittedly, that's a little out of my area of expertise.

He does not yet pass the Soul Dew over to Gideon. It's sentimental value putting it above what any sum could afford nor word can explain. 

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 19:33:04 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
"Understood." He responded, somewhat skeptical of the insistence for secrecy.

Whatever had suspected this object may have been, however, it definitely wasn't something as outwardly simple as what pulled from his pocket. Perhaps that was what made this all the more intriguing.

Now Gideon pushed himself off the edge of the lab bench. Where before there had been tempered curiosity, now his eyes were alight with unabashed interest and wonder. He moved closer, but not too close. After all, he wasn't sure what the orb even was.

"Incredible..." A marvel, really. From within the glass capsule a self-sustaining flame burned ever-bright and unrelenting.

How? Why?

Questions burned into his brain that would likely serve to be equally unrelenting from this day forward.

Gideon slowly pulled his gaze away from the unusual sphere until it was level with Angelo's own. Once the initial shock of the reveal had worn off, that same wry smile of his returned. "Alright, you got me. A vessel of pure Infinity Energy is quite special."

He resisted asking to inspect it closer. For now.

"What else do you know about it?"

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2023 17:34:46 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
If a smile could say 'I told you so' then it would look like the one curling onto Angelo's face right now, when Gideon admits him correct. 

You should know I'm not one to brag about my findings often, Dr. Graves.” Not the ones he intends to keep for himself, anyway.

Blue eyes had watched as the researcher dissected the Soul Dew and its guest with his own, partly on guard but mostly finding intrigue in watching the cogs spin. Attempting to read Gideon as he did the flame.  

Even when the museum director moves away from inspecting the orb, Angelo keeps it cradled in his palm out in the open, resisting the urge to run his thumb over its glassy surface.

Other than that? Nothing but guess work.” Angelo admitted.

I found it on one of the distant Hoennian isles, the flame was floating there, in the middle of a clearing. Was a first for me.” He wets his lips in remembrance, contemplating the depth of it in which he'd like to share. Already excluding it had been found alongside a fragment of Latios's soul. “Figured it's sentient. It followed after I departed for another island some distance away.

A pause. “May have touched it before then, too.

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Jan 31, 2023 16:26:17 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
Angelo's shit-eating grin wasn't lost on , but he didn't have the inclination to retort with anything other than a short nod. His interest was in the explanation that was to come.

The professor listened dutifully as spoke, his eyes closing as thoughts and suspicions and suppositions shot across his mind in rapid succession. How? Why?

"And the receptacle?" Gideon inquired as his eyes snapped open. His gaze swept back to the glowing sphere within the pilot's palm. Angelo had mentioned finding the flame, but not that it was already encased when he did so. Something that could contain pure, self-sustaining Infinity Energy was almost as intriguing as the energy itself. "Did you find the flame already within the orb?"

So many questions. Especially when Angelo relayed that the flame had followed him. Sentience. Their conversation on gods moments ago felt rather pertinent now.

"What happened when you touched it?"
close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2023 21:18:07 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
Question after question, probing curiosities fall into the seclusion of the office, filling it with a little more mystery.

Angelo supposed that was to be expected from a scientist. Like adventurers, hunger was rarely sated.  

He should have expected him to ask about the glassy orb that encloses the flame, its lustre sparkling as if it had been left to become bathed in the morning dew. Yet it still makes Angelo's fingers squeeze around the sphere that had housed Latios's soul a little firmer.

No.” He answers, space between his brow pinching. Protectiveness long etched itself into his flesh and blood. Half-truths on his tongue like mismatched flavours. “It was empty when I found the wisp, then the flame took up residence.

Gideon's last question has him frowning for different reason, however. Memory stretching back a year prior to when Latios had been revived and the red flame had danced upon his fingertips. 

I remember there was a voice. I couldn't make out what it said but it sounded young? High pitched?” He shrugged, lips taking shape of a crooked smile. “That's all I've got.

It wasn't much but it was all he had to give. 

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
wisps of victory
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2023 18:33:42 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
Notably absent from Angelo's explanation was where he had found the orb, then, if it hadn't been housing the flame. Though this withholding of information was noted by Gideon, the professor didn't press for more details. Not now, anyway. He figured that would come with more time. And trust.

"I see." Gideon let his acknowledgment hang in the air as he mulled over what to say next.

Angelo's retelling of what happened when he first touched the flame was remarkable. Not only could it move of its own free will, but it could communicate, too. Or at least vocalize.

What had it tried to say? Why had it picked to follow and stick with? Would it talk if he tried to touch it as well?

So many questions, and likely many more to come. But now, perhaps, wasn't the time or place to delve any deeper.

"I'll admit, I'm dying to know more. But first..." He straightened up from where he'd leaned on the lab bench, his tone growing more serious before continuing.

"Tell me exactly what it is you're hoping to get from our partnership."