5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
PFL Playoffs: Goldenrod @ Hammerlocke [PUB][C/Lars]
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 9:47:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
This holiday season couldn't have possibly gone better for Josh. His Gym was as busy and popular as ever, now with enough staff and autonomy for him to take vacations without having to close it for days at a time and earn the League's ire. had allowed him to live his dream of riding on Raikou's back at what would be vomit-inducing speeds for almost anyone other than the Master of Faster himself. There truly was no experience more fulfilling for him than living his dream of being on the fastest land creature on the planet. The only way this could have gone better was if Josh had Raikou at his personal beck and call, not having to go through the Champion.

Alas, that would never happen, as the only Raikou Josh knew was dead.

He had booked off the week between Christmas and New Year's to go bar hopping, and not for alcohol, either. One could never go wrong with bar food. He had been to several bars throughout Hoenn, and had been impressed with every single one. It was not cheap, but one got what they paid for. Plus, he would get to enjoy some PFL post-season action on one of the many big-screen TVs bolted to the walls of the Burning Maw's bar and dining area. While other sporting events were on, most of the sets were tuned to the big football game: Goldenrod at Hammerlocke. These were two stellar teams with incredible offensive lines. It was expected to be an extremely high scoring game.

"I'll have a lemonade, please," Josh ordered from the bar while waiting for his table-for-two to be set up. had to be around here somewhere; he had called the Head Ranger earlier in the day to make sure they would be meeting for a good meal over the PNC conference semifinals game. Now where was he?

1ST QTR 15:00
GOL 0
HAM 0
KICKOFF

{WC: 316}
{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Saber          Manectric       Good
Ares           Charizard       Good
Snacker        Sharpedo        Good
Nitro          Gogoat          Good
Janus          Espeon          Good
Kokusho        Hydreigon       Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 12:24:08 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Hopefully the region would… quiet down and allow everyone a breather before they were all thrown into another year. Good grief, this entire year had been a ride and a half so far. Honestly.

The moment he’d found out about a bar crawl, well then… why not decompress by doing that to distract himself?

It had been some time since he’d heard the second voice sass and snark him in the back of his mind—even if he’d already gone down to Shoal Cave to communicate with the iceborne deity—he’d been sent away by the other since they needed time to just ‘rest’ and ‘recuperate’.

Well then.

Checking his phone, he saw that there was another message on his phone and—

“Shit!”

Well, he had time to change from something formal to something a lot more casual—

Another shower, and another warp via the Lynette Teleport express found him at the Burning Maw’s exterior.

(While it was nothing like the calm, subdued, warm aura of the Stray, well… as long as the alcohol was good he wasn’t going to complain!)

For one thing, he was coming here hair down—he wondered if the other would recognize him without his trademark spiky hair. He then momentarily pondered if growing a beard would make him more recognizable…

…only for a brief flash of his oyaji’s smirking face for him to dissuade the idea.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 16:46:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The game between Goldenrod and Hammerlocke was already heated, Josh sipping on his lemonade as he waited for Lars to show. They had a reservation, so he would not have an issue making it back to where the Master of Faster was at. He may have been able to see Josh pump a fist at Goldenrod's head coach throwing a red flag from the sideline onto the field. "This is a good challenge," Josh was conversing with other Goldenrod fans about a close play.

"Goldenrod is challenging that the result of the previous play was a completed pass," Josh read the referee's statement on the big television's closed-captioning system. While the officials were making their decision, the Hammerlocke touchdown pass was replayed from various angles. The catch itself was clear; the receiver had maintained control of the football despite staving off two Goldenrod defenders.

"Oh there you are, Lars," Josh waved toward the Head Ranger, taking his eyes off the game just long enough to greet him. Viewing the replay from several angles, it wasn't clear from every angle that both the receiver's feet landed in bounds. It was a tense couple of minutes before the officials came onto the field again.

"After reviewing the play, the ruling on the field stands. Goldenrod will be charged with their first timeout. Touchdown Hammerlocke!" An eruption of booing came from nearby patrons from what was clearly a blown call after close examination of the replay. The game's casters cited it too, with a rules analyst explaining there was insufficient evidence to overturn the call. He didn't agree with the call, and neither did the Burning Maw's patrons.

"Lars, this is why people complain about PFL refs inserting themselves into games. That was a bullshit call and everyone knows it." Trying to get his mind off the game, Josh picked up the menu and started reading it. He was probably just going to get a steakburger, but he wanted to make sure nothing else caught his attention. Especially appetizers. He had a light lunch today in preparation for the evening, after all!

1ST QTR 3:32
GOL 7
HAM 10
BALL: GOL 20

{WC: 349}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 8:50:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Moment he’d gotten to the bar, he blinked—oh boy.

This was definitely nothing like football (the Alto Marean kind, not the Unovan kind that was showing on the flat screen right now) that he was familiar with! Either way, there were lots of fans were jeering at the calls made on the latest play and all he could do was cackle.

“You know… I’m from Alto Mare, and ‘football’ is different on that side of the world,” he began as he took an empty seat and made his order of a Zombie Cocktail.

“I’d call that the handegg games,” he added a few moments later, unable to stop the snicker that escaped him.

“I mean, the way I understand football is what the Unovans would call ‘soccer’…” he explained afterward, providing context for his confusion.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 9:34:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It did not take long for the server to return with their drinks. "I need more time to figure out what I'm having to eat. What about you, Lars?" Josh asked. Regardless, their server would return later when they were both ready to order. "As much as I'd love to have a Zombie Cocktail with you, I just don't drink. I like to joke at my Gym that alcohol and 200 miles an hour don't mix."

"Yep, you're right," Josh chuckled as Goldenrod slowly marched the ball downfield, their possession extending into the second quarter. Hammerlocke's four-man rush was one Goldenrod's quarterback didn't see coming on third down, forcing a fumble that the Johto team's offensive line barely recovered. They would have to kick a field goal and settle for three points. "That could have easily been returned for a touchdown," Josh breathed a sigh of relief, the game now tied.

"You're not wrong. Unova is the only region in the world that calls true football soccer," Josh confirmed as he took the first swig of his lemonade. A little more tart than he was used to, but not bad! He mixed in a sugar packet or two to sweeten the yellow drink to his liking. "So what's been new? A lot has happened since--"

Josh was interrupted by a loud cheer as on the very first play of Hammerlocke's possession, one of Goldenrod's defensive tackles caused the Galarian team's quarterback to drop the ball, leading to a Goldenrod fumble return for a touchdown and their first lead of the game. "And Lars, that's called a scoop and score."

2ND QTR 12:04
GOL 17
HAM 10
KICKOFF

{WC: 269}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 10:02:33 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I’ll know when I see it,” was his answer to whether he would be up to eating something while watching… the ‘handegg’ games, as he now called it in the back of his head.

He let out a bark of laughter at the next statement.

“I mean, should go without saying. Drinking and driving don’t mix at all, disaster usually follows afterward.”

Watching the… madness, for lack of a better term, he could only follow so much.

“Okay, okay, let me get this straight,” he went on as he watched the insanity on screen and making sure to keep his eyes on the brown ball, “…whoever gets their hands and runs all the way across the field gets points, right?”

In no time flat his order arrived and was set down in front of him. The cocktail looked nothing like what he was used to, but wasn’t this what it was all about? Taking new experiences?

Speaking of which…

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 10:25:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed the Alto Maren was not terribly familiar with Unovan football. It was a complex game. Even scoring was a bit complex. "I'll try to explain it in the easiest terms I can," Josh sighed as the referee's yellow flag indicated a penalty on the play.

"Offsides, defense number 21. Five yard penalty, repeat second down," came the head official's announcement after a Goldenrod defender jumped over the line a little too quickly.

"So how it works is the team with possession of the ball has four plays, or 'downs', to advance the ball ten yards. If they advance the ball that ten yards, they get a fresh set of downs to work with. If they don't get ten yards, then the other team gets possession." He paused to listen to Lars' question. "Correct. There are three ways to score. If you take the ball all the way to the opposing team's end zone, that's a touchdown, and is worth six points, and after you can either kick the ball for an extra point or try to run one more play into the end zone for an extra two points. If you can kick the ball through the yellow uprights behind the end zone, that's a field goal and is worth three points. If your team is on defense and you down the ball in the possessing team's own end zone, that's a safety, which is two points for the team on defense."

As the two sipped on their drinks and the teams traded possessions of the ball, Josh's eyes lit up. "Right. Did I tell you got me the best birthday present ever earlier this month?"

2ND QTR 7:10
GOL 17
HAM 10
2nd DOWN & 5
BALL: Goldenrod 39

{WC: 279}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 10:33:50 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Lars blinked as he took a drink of his order. Tart, and tangy. It could use some more garnishing, though…

“Wait, wait… hold up. Hold up one moment,” he went on once the other was finished, “…are you telling me, that in the handegg games… it’s impossible to score just one singular point?”

Because what was European football, if not scoring goals? And penalty kick showdowns?

“The point values are two, three, and six?” he clarified, taking another drink once he’d managed to somehow digest the information.

“In the football I’m familiar with, you score goals within ninety minutes. Long stretches can go without scoring a goal, and if the game ever ends on a tie and nobody’s scored anything… well, a kick-off determines who gets the game.”

At least football only scored in increments of one!

And then—

“Oh? What’d the dog boy give you?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 10:52:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh laughed at Lars' reaction to the PFL's scoring system. It was certainly odd not being able to score exactly one point... well, easily, anyway "Not quite. There is a way to score exactly one point, but it's only happened once in the history of the PFL and college football." He listened to Lars' explanation. "I don't follow it, but yes, those sound like the rules of soccer to me," the Mauville Leader replied. "PFL rules for overtime are interesting in the playoffs. Normally after 15 minutes of overtime without a score, the game is over in a tie. In the playoffs, both teams are guaranteed one possession. If both teams score the same number of points on their first possession, then untimed play continues until a team scores."

As the two minute warning sounded after Goldenrod held Hammerlocke to a field goal, making it a four point game, the server returned to take their orders. "I'll have your Houndstone Steakburger, no lettuce or onion, medium well, with a side of steak fries, please." Once the server had left after Lars placed his order, Josh began to share an unforgettable story.

"The experience of a lifetime. When I spoke to him after losing horribly to Entei at the Battle Arcade, I had asked him if, to help prepare for my pursuit of Raikou, I could go for a ride on Entei's back with him." By now, Josh's intent to chase Raikou was well-known, thanks to his Gym's decor and his faux-pas at the Ranger meeting.

2ND QTR 2:00
GOL 17
HAM 13
4th DOWN & Inches
BALL: Hammerlocke 36

{WC: 255}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 11:25:46 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Without getting too technical about football, at least the kind I’m familiar with, if no scores are made within ninety minutes, there are shoot-outs. Not the kind the Unovans know, but you know. The first to score a goal during the extended time of the game would win, because it’s legitimately happened so many times.”

He remembered the last iteration of the World Cup… what a mess, how the Alto Marean national team had been kicked out so early despite winning the championship. And the last time they’d won was… damn. The last time the national team had won was more than fifteen years ago.

“The Kalosian national team wanted to go for a back to back, since they won the championship four years ago, but they lost this time and had to settle for second place this time around. I felt kind of bad for their team, honestly.”

At the kid’s order, he guffawed.

“How is that even a burger without onion? Mamma mia,” he cackled before placing his own order of a double decker with an extra helping of fries. Yes he was hungry. No he wasn’t going to take any more questions about the order.

“Wait. Wait, wait, wait, hold up a second. Kyle did what? he blinked.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 11:50:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"That's something I wish the PFL would do to break ties, especially in the postseason," Josh brought up during the halftime show as Goldenrod scored another touchdown at the very end of the half, extending their lead to 11 points. "If the game is tied, have the teams do a shootout-style contest with two-point conversion attempts. That's a lot less tiring for the players than unlimited overtime play until someone scores." Lars' remarks about Kalos' soccer team reminded Josh of his favorite team. "Reminds me of how Blackthorn, my actual favorite team, has just never been able to defend a title. Title defense is always hard." He ignored Lars' comment about how he wanted his meal prepared. Everyone had their own preferences, right?

Josh smiled as he noticed Lars blinking in disbelief. "Unfortunately, Entei didn't like the idea of anyone riding on his back other than Kyle. He also told me about how Raikou and Suicune died in the Kanto war. Entei was supposedly the only survivor among the Beasts. Finding that out made me cry. I wasn't crying for long, though. I'm unsure how he did it, but he was able to summon, from what I'm assuming is the Great One's flames, a familiar that looked exactly like Raikou. So we went back to my old Racing Grounds, where my Gym used to be before I got promoted to the Major League, and I... I got to ride Raikou!" His smile very quickly turned into a shit-eating grin, ready to share the experience in excruciating detail.

HALFTIME
GOL 24
HAM 13

{WC: 257}
{PC: 6}

Resheph        Dragonair       Good
Ulysses        Dewgong         Good
Illumina       Lanturn         Good
Braver         Arcanine        Good
Yosei          Salamence       Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 12:08:29 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Handegg doesn’t have that kind of thing?” he mused, blinking again as he took another sip of his drink. Thank the Weather Trio his alcoholic tolerance was extremely high—it would take more than this to get him buzzed.

(Must be why he preferred tequila because of the instant burn…)

“I thought there was like… uhh, shit, wait, I’m trying to think of how to describe it. Like, isn’t there something like a kick-off? I think I saw it a few times before… like, there’s a kick-off and if the ball goes between the two… the thing that looks like a big tuning fork that’s their score? Or was I just seeing things?”

Look, he was going off commercials and all that, could you blame the man.

At the mention of him getting the chance to ride—well, then!

“Well, well, look at you, getting to ride your biggest dream,” he chuckled. “Ain’t that grand.”

But then, what the other had mentioned about the legendary beasts being… well, dead, except for the one that Kyle was currently guardian of, was… sobering.

“So… that’s two of the three dead?” he confirmed quietly.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2023 10:23:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"No, they don't," Josh nodded, chuckling at Lars calling the sport handegg. He wasn't wrong, either; the oblong ball and very little kicking made Unoval football a hell of a misnomer. "Did you watch the Hammerlocke-Castelia game? I'm guessing you didn't, but that went to double overtime, and there were so many injuries just from exhausted players getting sloppy after having to play two extra periods." Surprisingly, Lars was half-right about kicking balls through the yellow uprights. "Yes, that's called a field goal. Often times if a team is within 35 yards of the end zone and it's fourth down, they'll try to kick a field goal to at least get three points. In overtime, that's all it takes to win."

Josh nodded again. "Sadly, yes. Entei was the only survivor of the war. And he's a lot more skittish around people than I expected from a Pokémon that supposedly interacts with them and joins them on a semi-routine basis, according to Johtonian tales at least."

As Lars mused about Josh getting to live his dream, he started daydreaming about reliving the unforgettable experience. "It was nothing short of intense. It's something I'll treasure for the rest of my life." He remembered just how high the speedometer got on 's gadget and shared the number with the Head Ranger. It was wild sounding, to say the least. "If you've ever been on a roller coaster before, Raikou's takeoff is like that, but instead of the peak g-force lasting for a second or two, this went for... a second or ten. Or fifteen. It was hard to tell. Feels like your limbs are being squeezed from within. And when he EXTREME SPEEDs... that..."

3rd QTR 9:09
GOL 24
HAM 16
2nd DOWN & 12
BALL: Hammerlocke 40

{WC: 283}
{PC: 7}

Braver         Arcanine        Good
Yosei          Salamence       Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2023 11:19:40 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“So the commercials were right after all,” he cackled; thankful he’d gotten something right for a change! Geez, the way his brain just melted with European football versus the Unovan version of it was really… a sight to see.

Swilling the contents of his glass around, he took another sip from it.

At the mention of one of the Legendary canines behaving the way they did, it brought…something to Lars’s mind.

“I can’t remember if this was just a rumor or if it really happened, but. Really long ago, I heard a story that Entei appeared somewhere when Kyle was… just minding his own business or something. Not sure if it’s a rumor or if it’s fact, but matter is that you mentioned Entei I remembered it all of a sudden. This was like, a couple years ago or so.”

He listened to the other wax poetic moon about the experience, the excitement was evident in the younger Josh’s voice as he went into a rapture-like state at that point.

“I know my friend’s going to say something about how land and air-speed is different, or something like that—hell, I know the Mirage is fast but ‘fast’ depends on who you ask,” he hummed once the other was done.

As for the custom-made head gear that had come from , well…

“Let me guess, the speedometer hit four digits or something?” he continued with this wry, yet absolutely shit-eating smirk as he took another drink from his cocktail.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 14, 2023 8:25:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had nearly finished his first glass of lemonade by the time he had gotten to the climax of his story, likewise listening to Lars' about Kyle's first encounter with Entei. "So it really is just a chance encounter that began his ascension to partnership with the Great One..." Josh trailed off. Even if not Raikou, perhaps another superfast legendary Pokémon would see the racer as a worthy partner. Keldeo came to mind, plus there were probably others local to regions he had never heard of. He had never even heard stories of Alola's, Galar's, or Paldea's legendary Pokémon; to him, the possibilities were as endless as they were astronomical. As sad as it was to fing out the Raikou he knew perished, he got to sit on a Raikou-familiar's thundercloud and put the electric pedal to the metal.

That was good enough for him.

"Funny you speak of , Lars," Josh chuckled, knowing exactly who he was talking about. "We have plans to go to 's place in Mossdeep later this week to watch the winner of this game play Heahea for the conference title and a trip to the Ultra Bowl." Regardless of whether Hammerlocke or Goldenrod won, it would be a hard-fought game where every yard mattered.

"Believe it or not, nowhere close," Josh replied, giving him the peak reading he recalled. "but it was definitely faster than a bullet train. You know before the war, there was a bullet train that ran between Kanto and Johto, right? Of course, now it's a bullet train to friggin nowhere." A long pause. Was Kanto ever going to recover from Team Rocket's occupation? "Not to mention how EXTREME SPEED makes a Pokémon's legs blur from how fast its running stroke gets. When I rode Raikou, I was expecting strides like a cat's. It came to my pleasant surprise that his back didn't actually flex that much. They look so catlike, but I guess they have canine characteristics too."

Josh indeed had entered a rapture-like state that day. "It was incredible, and I wish I could have caught it on video. But there was no way it would have produced any meaningful footage. When I rode Raikou at his very fastest, I couldn't see anything except what was in front of me." His past nightmare with Raikou using HYPERSONIC PLASMA CHARGE on Aslan floated into his mind. "I think he'd hit that four figures with the Z-Move Saber knows. You know. That one. Let's say Raikou does choose me. I want to see how fast he goes when he does that."

So much time had passed that the server had returned with the Rangers' meals and a lemonade refill. They looked nothing short of decadent, and would take them the rest of the game easily. Speaking of the game, Josh looked up to see that it was early in the fourth quarter, and Goldenrod was losing. "What the hell happened? How did Hammerlocke score two touchdowns so fast?"

---

4th QTR 14:28
GOL 24
HAM 30
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: Goldenrod 7

{WC: 501}
{PC: 8}