awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
PFL Playoffs: Goldenrod @ Hammerlocke [PUB][C/Lars]
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2023 9:54:40 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The moment their food arrived, the first thing he’d attack would be the fries.

Because he needed as much salt as possible, and man he absolutely wanted to snarf them down as fast as possible. Much hungry as he was to attack the burger he’d ordered, he decided to let it cool first.

“Let’s face it. Time flies when you have too much fun. You literally enjoy telling the story, it’s all over your face. I know you’d give everything for another ride out, even if it’s just—well, even if it’s just the one that dog boy can summon from ashes. Close enough, I think?”

He continued to pick at the fries piece by piece, before looking at the… handegg shenanigans on the television.

“Well, what are your predictions on who’s going to win this game? I mean, coming from behind is possible no matter what sport is played.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2023 10:27:05 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As much as Lars lathered his steak fries in salt, Josh probably put a little too much barbecue sauce on top of his patty. He preferred it over simple ketchup for just about everything except fries, and these fries were seasoned enough that they didn't need any. "...You're not wrong," he answered. "But not yet. I'm not ready for it. I have a scar on my chin that serves as an everlasting reminder of the ride." If Lars were to look, it was obvious that the scar was from skin tearing during the maddening acceleration Raikou was capable of. "This happened when I asked Raikou to use EXTREME SPEED. It was the most humbling experience of my life."

He laughed at the prospect of getting another Raikou ride alongside Kyle. "Maybe if he changes his mind about racing me with that Entei of his," he said in between bites of his Houndstone Steakburger, which was a little more done than he would have liked, but it still tasted quite good. "I definitely wouldn't ask him for just another solo run out of the blue, though." His smile turned into a grin. "I'd love to go for a flight with you on the Mirage in conditions that aren't... war. How's Articuno been since the war, anyway? It's probably loving the cold weather in western Hoenn."

Josh pondered the game state and the skills of both teams. "It's really hard to say. Goldenrod was in a commanding position just a few minutes ago, and now they're behind. I think it's largely going to depend on what happens on this drive. Goldenrod needs at least three on this drive, preferably seven or eight." After two huge passing plays that elicited loud cheers from Josh and surrounding football fans, the Goldenrod football team was stopped short on third-and-goal, forcing the kicking unit to come out and flick one between the uprights. It was a three-point game, but Hammerlocke had the ball and the lead in the fourth quester. "An interception would sure be nice here, but I don't think they'll ever throw the ball. When you're in the lead and in the fourth quarter, all you want to do is eat time off the clock."

{WC: 371}
{PC: 9}

4th QTR 11:10
GOL 27
HAM 30
2nd DOWN & 10
BALL: Hammerlocke 20

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Resheph        Dragonair       Good
Ulysses        Dewgong         Good
Illumina       Lanturn         Good
Braver         Arcanine        Good
Yosei          Salamence       Good
Janus          Espeon          Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2023 11:00:43 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

At the mention of time-delaying until the end of the game, he rolled his eyes.

That is a cheap-ass tactic, to be honest.”

He sighed.

“Well, it’s kind of the same with football—the kind I know, mind—when it’s down to the last five minutes or so it’s just. Violation after violation until someone gets carded and they either get a warning or get kicked out of the game entirely.”

He cackled quietly afterward, realizing that his fries were getting cold. He continued to cram more and more of the fries into his mouth before glancing at the other man’s chin…

“How the hell did you get a scar on there of all places? Were you poked in the face or anything?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2023 11:57:38 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was getting close to the end of his food as the Galarian team continued their stall tactics. "It's well within the rules, though, and the clock stops running on any penalty flag. All they have to do to avoid a flag is make sure they snap the ball when the play clock hits one, and never run a pass play or run out of bounds. That way, the game clock stays moving the whole time, and they can eat up 40 seconds a play. Complicating matters is that both teams still have all their timeouts, so they'll be able to stop the clock three times each."

While it was difficult to tell exactly what the penalty was from visuals and closed captions alone, Josh seemed happy about it. "Heh, I don't think Hammerlocke got the snap off in time." The refs confirmed his suspicion with their announcement of the penalty:

"Delay of game, offense number 18. 5 yard penalty, loss of down. It's third down."

"Yup, that's what I was talking about," the racer smiled, going back to Lars' question while the next play ran. "This is going to sound crazy, but it was from riding Raikou. I think it happened when I asked him to use EXTREME SPEED. The acceleration from it was just something my body couldn't handle. When I rode him at his very fastest, I had very little feeling in my legs or arms." The hubris of that day weighed on him once more. "I just... it makes me feel like a moron, really. To think I could handle speed like that." By the time he was paying attention to the game, Hammerlocke had been stopped on third-and-long, forcing them to punt the ball back to Goldenrod. "They've got decent field position, plenty of time on the clock, and all their timeouts. This is still a game."

{WC: 371}
{PC: 9}

4th QTR 7:13
GOL 27
HAM 30
3rd DOWN & 4
BALL: Goldenrod 36

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2023 12:24:35 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“It’s still a game, you know. Anything can change at this point. Never count the other team out until the final whistle.”

Which was how all the European football matches he was familiar with usually resolved themselves—unless it was a draw after regulation and they had to go into a penalty shoot-out. Geez.

Discerning that his own order was cool enough to be finished, he then picked at it slowly, still trying to understand the intricacies of ‘handegg’ as he called this version of ‘football’.

It certainly didn’t look like the football he was familiar with, though!

When little Josh had mentioned that he’d been smacked in the face with what he guessed was hubris, he could only laugh.

“Well. Everyone gets their ass owned by hubris every once in a while when they’re in way over their heads,” he continued quietly with a cackle as he made his way through his order.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 6:54:50 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"...Hubris is a perfect word to use," Josh agreed. "But I'm not giving up after coming this far. I want to do what I can to be ready for it next time." While he wasn't completely ignoring physical limits, he mentally admitted for a human to be mounted on a Pokémon traveling at that kind of pace might have been pushing them. He had already suffered a minor injury from it. And yet, he wanted to keep pushing himself. He really did worship Raikou, didn't he? "This is gonna be a big ask, and I know I asked about it on that awful day, but now that Hoenn's in a relative lull... do you think... they would entertain me flying on them in... not such stressful, world-ending conditions? I think I'm a bit better adapted to their PRESSURE now than I was before. Being around Kyle helped a lot with it." He tried to mask the identity of the Composed in the public place, yet convey his desire.

At last, his food was cool enough to truly dig into. "Doesn't beat the Beautifly & Dustox in Fortree or the place I got my steak fries from at the Ranger potluck, but it's still really good. You truly can't go wrong with bar food." As he finished about half his burger, the racer flung his hands up in reaction to the game. "Go, go, go!" he cried with a mouth half-full of food as he watched Goldenrod's received break two tackles and run the ball all the way to the other side of the field for a critical touchdown. "Let's go Goldenrod!" It was the first time in a long time they had the lead. With the extra point kick being good, Hammerlocke needed a touchdown of their own, and fast. Time was running out as the visiting team kicked the ball away to a Hammerlocke football team pressed for time.

{WC: 320}
{PC: 10}

4th QTR 4:05
GOL 34
HAM 30
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: Hammerlocke 20

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 16:25:57 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

About that…

There was a look of pain on Lars’s face as he contemplated the request. While it was simple and innocuous enough, fact of the matter is that… earlier in the evening he’d disclosed to about the current… whereabouts… of the Iceborne Mirage.

(And how he’d been temporarily banned from descending into Shoal Cave for an indeterminate amount of time. Yikes.)

“There’s something… I have to tell you about that request, though,” he began, idly spinning a fry between his fingers before eating it.

“It might take some time before that can happen.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 16:55:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
To Josh's surprise, Lars seemed accommodating of the request. In his eyes, it seemed unlike the Head Ranger to "pointlessly" let the Mirage stretch its wings. It seemed like Josh would simply have to be patient. He had been patient with Raikou for years. What was a little more time to be able to fly on the Ice Phoenix's back in an environment that wasn't life threatening? "I thought you two were really close with each other. Why is that? Is the Mirage okay?" Josh asked, looking concerned.

His concern quickly dissipated as the fans around him roared over Hammerlocke's quarterback looking deep, heaving the ball almost as far as he could. Their receiver caught the pass far downfield, down the sideline, but it was ruled an incomplete pass. After jawing at the refs for a bit, the home team's coach threw the red flag.

"Hammerlocke is challenging the ruling on the field of an incomplete pass," was the referee's announcement as the officiating staff entered the booth.

'That was a hell of a catch," Josh gasped, swallowing the bit of patty he had in his mouth and watching the slow-motion replay, even frame-by-frame as the announcers talked about it. "...It's close, but I think he landed with both feet in bounds. Lars, this could determine the whole game."

{WC: 219}
{PC: 11}

4th QTR 2:20
GOL 34
HAM 30
3rd DOWN & 10
BALL: Hammerlocke 32

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 12:22:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Well, see, that’s the thing. You know what happened right at the end of the entire meteor fiasco that went down when we landed near Oldale? You remember that other thing that roared and made the strange location where the macabre living ‘cemetery’ now is?”

He trailed off, letting the words hang in the air for the briefest of moments.

“…I haven’t heard from them ever since that time.”

Which should be alarming in and on itself.

The good thing was that he’d managed to survive this entire year so far—albeit missing a very important companion. Anyway.

He returned his attention to his own order, taking another drink from the Zombie in front of him. (Close, but not quite as compared to his favorite Bramble…)

It was time for more ‘handegg’ rulings…

“Okay, wait… so if they don’t win the challenged call, they lose something, right?” he continued, racking his brains for the information because the version of football he knew did it so differently!

It was either a yellow or a red card, and they were out of the game altogether if the player caught in the violation got slapped with a red card.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 13:22:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"How could I forget?" Josh replied with a nod as the refs deliberated. "I've gotta go to this shipwreck island with a couple buddies to get a new Absolite after Kyurem broke the one I had." He listened to the Head Ranger's story, and it was a terrifying one. "...Can you still feel them? That they're alive? I know your kind have a special connection to them." The single worst thing that could happen to an Avatar was their Patron going missing. "It was Kyurem, wasn't it?"

Their discussion was interrupted by the referees delivering the results of the challenge.

"After reviewing the play, the receiver's right foot touched the out-of-bounds line while making the catch. Therefore, the ruling on the field of an incomplete pass stands. It's fourth down. Hammerlocke will be charged with their second timeout."

A loud wave of booing boomed from football fans all around them. He couldn't imagine how loud it had to be in the stadium itself. "That, Lars... that was a gift to Goldenrod. Maybe the evidence wasn't conclusive enough to overturn the call." With their backs to the wall on fourth-and-long, Hammerlocke's quarterback heaved the ball downfield as far as he could, players from both teams reaching into the air to try to catch the last-ditch-effort pass. "...Interception," Josh called what happened as the two-minute warning passed. "And that's gonna be ball game. Goldenrod can just take a knee four times and waste the rest of the clock."

{WC: 219}
{PC: 12}

4th QTR 1:52
GOL 34
HAM 30
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: Goldenrod 17

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 13:46:08 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“See, that’s the thing. After that? No communication ever since,” he mused quietly.

“I feel mentally naked right now.”

And that’s not even mentioning the meeting that all the members of the AQUA initiative had! He thought it was wise not to mention this because it was a more… personal matter, something he was hoping would help him look into from what they’d talked about earlier that evening.

After watching the resolution of the challenged call, he cringed.

“Damn. That’s harsh, take a timeout as a penalty… at this point, in the football I’m familiar with it’s just basically keeping the ball away from the goalkeeps and wasting time to run it down and wait for the penalty kickoff shootout at this point,” he went on as he finished off the last of his order.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 16:06:30 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Taking a knee four times in a row was exactly what Goldenrod did, letting the play clock wind down to one second each time. With zeroes on the game clock as fourth-and-16 came, Josh raised both his arms. "Goldenrod's going to the Ultra Bowl!" he cried, along with many other excited fans.

Once the bar had cleared out after the end of the game, Josh listened to Lars' story as he, too, finished his meal. Before he could respond, their server came back. "Just the check's fine. Great food. I'll have to come back another time."

As the restaurant staff member was getting his change, Josh's jaw opened. "Wow. And you two have known each other for how long?" he asked. "I remember it, too. Kyurem. Maybe you two aren't as cold-immune as you thought." Granted, this was divine-strength cold he was talking about. "It's like Saber and I. We're so close to one another that we're not sure we could go on without one another. It's almost like... almost like the late Raikou's spirit is inside him or something."

The challenge system was actually nothing like Lars described. "So how a coach's challenge works is they get two of them per half. If they think a call on the field is wrong, they can throw their red flag to have the refs review it. If the call doesn't get overturned, the team who called the challenge gets charged with a timeout."

Once he received his change, Josh stood up and slid his chair in. "Gonna watch the big game? It's coming up soon."

{WC: 494}
{PC: 13}

FINAL
GOL 34
HAM 30

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2023 7:33:51 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“It’s been so long I honestly forgot,” he cracked quietly as he pulled out some bills as well and handed them over as well.

“Apparently not. That fucking cold snap was… far, far colder than what I’m used to with them around,” he added as he looked around furtively and crammed the last of the food into his mouth. It felt so unreal, not being able to communicate with the second presence in the back of his head now.

Had he gotten so used to their presence by now…?

“Handegg rulings are confusing!” he exclaimed with another heartier cackle, throwing his hands up in mock celebration. “I should take you to watch the World Cup next time it rolls around. If not the World Cup, maybe one of the bigger association matches.”

As for the question of the actual game?

“Depends, really.”

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,938 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2023 3:56:26 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: