TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2022 19:55:52 GMT
Katherine Fairburne Avatar
[attr="class","katherine1"]
[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","icon"]

It's hard not to feel overwhelmed by the deja vu that settles upon Katherine as she nears the entrance to 's gym. It felt like a lifetime ago, but this was once her home. Her gym. Her city. Many things have changed since then, though. She remembers that—she reminds herself of it, even now.
[break][break]
A deep breath fills her lungs with air before she steps inside, maintaining a brisk pace until she reaches the front desk.
[break][break]
"Hello, hello. You wouldn't happen to know if the gym leader is available, would you?" Obviously, Katherine failed, or at least neglected, to schedule a proper meeting. "If he's between challenges right now, I don't mind stepping in just to observe."

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"] [break]

[newclass=".katherine1"]--accent:#963030; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 blockquote"]width:370px; height:auto; background-color: #292929; text-align: justify; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; padding: 35px; padding-bottom: 40px; padding-top: 25px; border-left: 5px #252525 solid; border-right: 5px #252525 solid;border-top: 5px #252525 solid; line-height: 15.5px; letter-spacing: .7px; font-size:12px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 .icon"]background-image:url(https://i.ibb.co/VJW9HmG/31.png); height:100px; width:100px; margin:-70px 29px 19px 10px; float:left; border-radius:20px; border:6px var(--accent) solid; outline:10px #252525 solid;[/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 blockquote b, .nina blockquote i"]color:var(--accent); } .katherine1 blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .katherine1 blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 .top"]background-color:var(--accent); background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-size: cover; width: 430px; height: 68px; text-align: center; margin-left:auto; margin-right: auto; margin-bottom: -50px; padding: 10px 10px 10px 0px; border-radius: 25px 25px 0px 0px; border: 5px #252525 solid;[/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 .bottom"]background-color:#222222; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-size: cover; width: 420px; height: auto; text-align: center; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-top:-60px; padding: 10px 10px 10px; border-radius: 0px 0px 25px 25px; border: 5px #252525 solid;[/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 .bottom a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

[nospaces][newclass="credit"]FREE TO USE! coded by mad, partial credit to milky for text styling <3[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2022 21:16:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Mauville Gym had changed a lot every time it was handed over to a new Leader. The Gym had one of the most storied histories in all of Hoenn, its Leaders forming a dynasty of highly influential League heroes. . . . All of them storied war heroes. Avatars. These were big shoes for Josh to fill. While he wasn't quite ready to fill a role that important yet, he was close. With the only Raikou that Josh knew dead (or best case scenario, missing), and letting Josh live his dream of letting him sit in the electric tiger's metaphorical saddle for the fastest run he'd ever been on, he had to move on. Perhaps Raikou was still alive and was still trying to reach out to him, but could not for an unrelated reason. He would never know. But he could not dwell on it, not with as much evidence as he had that Raikou had likely perished in the Kanto War.

Today was a Gym maintenance day for Josh; he had the place closed to challengers until January 2. He still had to be there to supervise the operations, though. As Katherine walked up to the front desk of the nearly empty office, the Leader's receptionist, Shelly, greeted the female. "Oh, of the Elite Four! You need to see the Leader? He's overseeing maintenance being done on the Gym this weekend, and he won't be taking challenges until after the new year. I can let him know you're here, though!" With that, she sent a text to Josh to let him know there was a VIP present. It did not take him long to reply. "The Leader will see you now. Proceed out the back, to the Main Sector. He shouldn't be far."

And lo and behold, it would not be a long walk for the Malevolent to see Josh astride Blitz, his yellow-sheened shiny Luxray, wandering the vast Racing Grounds to make sure maintenance was proceeding smoothly. In addition to his in-house staff, there were a lot of outside contractors helping with the gargantuan job of repairing wear and tear to the courses. There was a particularly large group working on undoing the damage that and had caused with their giant rock and metal snakes. They were going to be added to the list of forbidden Pokémon for his racing challenge.

"Morning, Ms. Fairburne!" Josh asked, Blitz letting out a greeting purr of his own, the end of his rider's greeting line perhaps a little hard to understand. "What brings one such as a distinguished member of Hoenn's Elite Four to the Racing Grounds?"

{WC: 442}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Blitz          Luxray**        Good
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
good girls go to heaven, bad girls rule the world
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 4:32:10 GMT
[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","icon"]

"Mm. Good morning," she sounds much less enthusiastic than Josh, but then again, that's to be expected with Katherine. Josh's Luxray is spared a fleeting glance before her eyes flit back to him, focused and now slightly narrowed, "Erm... Well..." She'd be thrilled to do this if this was any other gym. If it was any other city. She was proud of her work in Mauville and hoped she could be proud of 's, too. If not today, then very soon.
[break][break]
"I've read the report about your gym. Frankly, the assessment didn't go as smoothly as I hoped it would," there's a brief pause then, meant to offer Josh a moment or two to share his piece.
[break][break]
"Prior to getting this job, you were a part of the minor league, yes? I'm happy you've upgraded—but I was a bit surprised to hear someone with as much experience as you have is struggling, Josh. I've met gym leaders who lasted less than half your tenure that had better reviews."

[break][break]

[newclass=".katherine1"]--accent:#963030; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 blockquote"]width:370px; height:auto; background-color: #292929; text-align: justify; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; padding: 35px; padding-bottom: 40px; padding-top: 25px; border-left: 5px #252525 solid; border-right: 5px #252525 solid;border-top: 5px #252525 solid; line-height: 15.5px; letter-spacing: .7px; font-size:12px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 .icon"]background-image:url(https://i.ibb.co/VJW9HmG/31.png); height:100px; width:100px; margin:-70px 29px 19px 10px; float:left; border-radius:20px; border:6px var(--accent) solid; outline:10px #252525 solid;[/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 blockquote b, .nina blockquote i"]color:var(--accent); } .katherine1 blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .katherine1 blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 .top"]background-color:var(--accent); background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-size: cover; width: 430px; height: 68px; text-align: center; margin-left:auto; margin-right: auto; margin-bottom: -50px; padding: 10px 10px 10px 0px; border-radius: 25px 25px 0px 0px; border: 5px #252525 solid;[/newclass]

[newclass=".katherine1 .bottom"]background-color:#222222; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-size: cover; width: 420px; height: auto; text-align: center; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-top:-60px; padding: 10px 10px 10px; border-radius: 0px 0px 25px 25px; border: 5px #252525 solid;[/newclass]

[nospaces][newclass="credit"]FREE TO USE! coded by mad, partial credit to milky for text styling <3[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 14:10:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The reason for the visit was clear at Katherine's mention of the assessment Josh had received back in October. Great. Yet another high-ranking League official wanted to fleece Josh for his battle incompetency. "That assessment is also from October," Josh added, trying to defend himself from what he suspected would be yet again scathing, belittling, perhaps even cutting remarks from his superior. "I'm actually due for another performance evaluation at the end of next week, and I can assure you, the numbers have been trending in the correct direction since. I'm sure you know . He, , and the other Gym Leaders have exposed a number of flaws in my battle style."

Katherine was correct in every word with the information she had available to her. "That's correct. I got promoted back in September after several Gym Leaders retired." He sighed, having taken a tough loss at Rustboro not long ago. "Is one of them , out of curiosity? I went into his Gym earlier this month and left with not a Badge, but an important lesson I won't forget." He took a deep breath, still a bit nervous around the standing Elite Four member. "I want to show you some more recent data not accounted for in my report. How about we head to my office on the top floor? It'll give you a nice view of the Racing Grounds."

{WC: 231}
{PC: 2}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Blitz         Luxray**       Good
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 7:50:48 GMT
[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","icon"]

"So you're saying I should expect an improvement? That this is no longer the case, yes?" He sounds confident, Katherine tells herself. A tad on the defensive side, maybe, but overall confident. It's a good sign.
[break][break]
Her piercing, scarlet stare never wavers from Josh's eyes. It's strange, fear-inducing and anxiety-striking. But then again, so was Katherine herself. She savored the fragile uncertainty she recognized in the voices of those she intimidated.
[break][break]
"Gym Leader Maher wasn't who I had in mind," she admits readily, "but sure, I suppose he also fits the bill." A quick nod follows his offer, unaccompanied by one of her signature, practiced smiles. Josh would have to earn such kindness before her treatment of him improves.
[break][break]
"More recent data, hrm? I'd like to hear more, yes. Lead the way."

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 19:45:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"One that's already showing in Gym match results," Josh bragged. It was true; the Councilwoman and multiple members of the Elite Four had personally trained Josh to be the best Gym Leader he could be. He was far less reliant on his Thousand Cut Joust than ever before; when he first started as a Major League Gym Leader, he used that high speed technique as a strategic lynchpin. though as his numbers started to slip under goal, it was becoming apparent to him that speed was not as much of a one-size-fits-all answer as he expected it to be. He hadn't used it on a challenge in three weeks, yet his Traditional Battle pass rate was not too far above League standards.

His confidence didn't make Katherine's red gaze any less intimidating; unlike Melody, Matias, and Callan, all of which had a friendly demeanor to them, this fourth member seemed to not know the meaning of the word empathy. She was, in his eyes, easily he most apathetic soul in the League's upper echelons of leadership. She was certainly not afraid to tell it like it was.

With that, the two arrived in Josh's office. He tilted his monitor so both of them can take a look at recent reports. "These charts are all reflective of match data taken after October 15, the day of the evaluation. While it's still not where the League wants it to be, you can clearly see I've been toughening up the battle challenge a lot." The Elite Four's training showed in Josh, too; after the day he acquired Callan's Stark Badge, there was a substantial, almost unnatural rise in win rates against challengers that sought to reverse his speed advantage through use of TRICK ROOM. It was a clear response to the report's suggestion of finding a way to handle the cited scenario.

{WC: 309}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 23:02:40 GMT
[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","icon"]

"I see."
[break][break]
Her eyes quickly skim the data on the monitor, mainly searching for the alleged improvement Josh boasted. Once it's found, a couple of blinks follow, and then she looks back at the Gym Leader, ever so slightly less impatient than before.
[break][break]
There was indeed an improvement. Admittedly, it wasn't sufficient for her standards, but it was something. As long as he followed this trend, he wouldn't be someone she'd be ashamed of leaving Mauville in the hands of.
[break][break]
"This looks better," is that a compliment? Because it sounds like a note of surrender from the elite four, "but it still isn't where it needs to be, yes?" Ah, there. She wasn't entirely pleased. That's more like her.
[break][break]
"Are you struggling with anything in particular still? Something I can help with, maybe?"
[break][break]
It was rare for the Malevolent to offer help, especially to strangers. It most certainly did not align with her reputation.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 16:49:01 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
An acknowledgment of his improvement was all he was looking for from the Elite Four in general. Improvement from an egregious deficiency was something that took time, and Josh had shown a vast improvement over time. If he could make that final push to get his battle challenge win rate to the high standard the League wanted it at, that would push him over the line from being a good Gym Leader to a great Gym Leader, such as the great former Gym Leader before him.

"It's almost there," Josh agreed. "And every other metric is right where the League wants it. I know how hard that final push is gonna be." He paused to collect his thoughts after 's question. "There's still one that's been burning in my mind. I know this is gonna be a tall ask, but the last place I need practice is against Pokémon that are faster than mine. I know it has to sound comical coming from someone who calls himself the Master of Faster, but I've been consistently losing to trainers with Pokémon that can outrun mine."

He thought back to his battle at the Battle Arcade. "Ever since I battled that day in the fall, and his Entei made me feel totally outclassed in every way, I feel my improvement in that aspect of my battle skill has just stopped. I've got some approaches I've been meaning to test, but I don't get the opportunity to practice just because those types of trainers are so rare."

It was true; there had to be only a handful of trainers in all of Hoenn that had a team of Pokémon capable of beating him at his own game.

{WC: 288}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 11:30:03 GMT
[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","icon"]

"Hrm."
[break][break]
Katherine quietly mulls over Josh's words. He isn't entirely wrong, so she makes no attempt at discrediting his efforts any more than she already had, nor does she offer him another reminder. He seemed to be rather self-aware, which was a quality she applauded people for having-- well, to herself, at least.
[break][break]
"Frankly, I've never focused on my Pokemon's speed nor do I rely on it often in battle," anyone who's ever battled the elite four could attest to that, too.
[break][break]
In official battles, Katherine was most competent in adapting. She'd never oppose dictating the pace of a battle, but she's also never turned down the chance to follow her opponent's.
[break][break]
"With that said... I do own a Pheromosa. It's an Ultra Beast, in case you're unfamiliar with it," how is it relevant to their conversation, Josh might wonder? "it's very fast. Even faster than Kyle's Entei."
[break][break]
"You can test yourself against it, if you'd like."

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 16:06:02 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Katherine had a fair point; every trainer had their own unique battle style, and adapting to each challenger was one of the most challenging aspects of being a Gym Leader. As he listened, he would gain insight into what kind of battler the standing Elite Four member was. It seemed like he would have the speed advantage against all four, but they had to have been prepared for that. "While I no longer rely exclusively on it, it is something I battle with a heavy emphasis on, both personally and as a Gym Leader. There are plenty of trainers out there whose eyes just can't follow the action."

Josh's eyes widened as he heard the term Ultra Beast. "Wait, as in those things that are super dangerous and almost destroyed Slateport? It's hard to even call them Pokémon." Hearing the extreme speed the creature possessed gave Josh even more pause. "That's so hard to believe. After riding Kyle's Raikou-familiar earlier this month, I know how fast they can get firsthand. But I think that's a good idea. How about we head back down to the main sector and I show you Blitz, my Luxray. Even if he loses, this will give me good practice in trying to follow your Pheromosa's motions." If she agreed to the battle, he would lead her down to the Main Sector, where most of the facility's battle courts were located.

{WC: 236}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 29, 2023 3:28:09 GMT
[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","icon"]

"Mhm. What else would you call them? They are Pokemon. Aliens, sure, but still Pokemon," to the same degree Hisuian Pokemon were Pokemon.
[break][break]
"Ah, I suppose I'll let you be the judge of their speed, then. Maybe it isn't as fast after all. Do tell me if that's the case, yes? We could all always stand to improve," her sarcasm-laced words are carried by the same dry tone. Katherine doesn't seem to doubt her Pokemon's ability, but her confidence is kept in check, if only so she could revel in Josh's surprised expression later.
[break][break]
"Sure, that sounds good."
[break][break]
The elite four trails after the gym leader as he leads the way, and only once they arrive at the arena does she release her Pheromosa. The Ultra Beast's eyes flutter lightly before she looks back at her trainer, posing a silent question to the Malevolent. "It's just a friendly match," she explains to the alien.
[break][break]
"We're ready whenever you are, Josh."

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2023 22:21:01 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Katherine was right; as unusual as they looked and fought, not to mention how different rules of physics seemed to apply to them, they were still Pokémon. "They just look so much different than all the other Pokémon I've ever seen. It's made me wonder is all."

Josh's worship of the legendary Pokémon Raikou had blinded him. With so many new Pokémon species being discovered over time, it was only a matter of time before a Pokémon dethroned Raikou for the title of fastest on land. Once they had left the office, Josh sent out and mounted his shiny Luxray, leading Katherine to the main battle court. Once they were there, he hopped off, only then seeing the strange Pokémon he had never heard of. It looked insectile, but with the largest and sturdiest wings he had ever seen from any bug-type.

The Gym Leader backed toward the Trainer's Box, but did not bother arranging for the platforms to be lifted like a real Gym match. Blitz snarled, courageously shooting a menacing glance toward the Beast of Beauty. "Alright, we're ready!"

{WC: 187}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2023 16:31:16 GMT
[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","icon"]

The Pheromosa's speed exceeds what one would expect from the average pokemon. As soon as Katherine gestures for the Ultra Beast to begin, she breaks into a sprint-- turning into a blur without so much of a word. Beyond its deftness, it was a true lightweight, making even the sound of its steps hard to track.
[break][break]
When the bug type reaches the Luxray, the chill and frost that coated her heels reveal themselves. She leaps up in a practiced twirl, performing a flawless TRIPLE AXEL that would put even the most skilled ice skater to shame.
[break][break]
"Well? Is it fast enough?"

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]@tag goes here [break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Feb 7, 2023 0:17:28 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The alien insect, from the very start of the battle, went from zero to a dead sprint in a split second. Josh's penchant for speed was the only reason he was able to follow the Ultra Beast's movement, and even then, it was with difficulty. It was a curious creature, indeed; despite having massive wings the length of its body, which stretched parallel to the ground from the high speed it ran at, they did not seem to be used for flying. Josh briefly wondered how sturdy they were; with the size of the bug-type, could he hop on one? With having tasked Josh with researching all the rifts to begin with, perhaps he could catch one during his travels and at least give it a try. And even if it couldn't, it would still be a valuable weapon against Rocket.

For now, he had the battle to focus on, and it was clear how much of a speed disadvantage he was at. Even if he ordered Blitz to use Thunder Wave, it still wouldn't slow the Pheromosa enough to allow Josh back in his element. Each kick and whirl of the TRIPLE AXEL took a split second to execute, the Luxray only barely able to see his foe until it was right in his face and laying down a potent smackdown.

Having studied extremely evasive foes as part of his preparation for the Champion Assessment, he did have a retort, though; Blitz possessed an electric attack that even a Pokémon faster than Raikou wouldn't be able to outrun. "Blitz, use SHOCK WAVE!" he commanded, a large electrical pulse radiating outward from his black-and-gold feline.

{WC: 277}
{PC: 7}

Blitz         Luxray**       Fair
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
deja vu [c]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2023 16:54:10 GMT
[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","icon"]

The SHOCK WAVE is half expected, if only because of the Luxray's typing. Katherine anticipates it. The Pheromosa, not unlike her owner, is well prepared for it.
[break][break]
Her DISGUISE comes off as an ELECTROWEB is weaved from its threads, each of which is brimming with its own electricity. It's not once launched at the electric-type, but it does aim to capture the SHOCK WAVE and prevent it from paralyzing the Ultra Beast.
[break][break]
Katherine purses her lips at the display, not pleased that her Pokémon had already relinquished its DISGUISE.
[break][break]
"Not bad."

[break][break]