6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Sky [M][C/Andrea]
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 10:11:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
There were not many Pokémon that could survive the vacuum of space. Josh's conscription to 99943 METENO had taught him so firsthand, with many of his Pokémon struggling in the meteoroid's low-gravity environment. As such, it came as little surprise to him that some League scientist had asked him to perform some Pokémon-related studies on the lunar surface.

Since the impact had been thwarted, space travel had not only become accessible, but affordable for the wealthy. He was not among the wealthy, but the League subsidized his ticket in exchange for him performing official business during his trip to the moon. The trip there would take several hours. His mission while there would be to study the effects of the vacuum of space on dragon Pokémon alongside another dragon lover, . Once she arrived, they would be able to enter their designated spacecraft and blast off. Now where was the young Gym Leader?

{WC: 157}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Resheph       Dragonair      Good
Tiamat        Dragonite      Good
Yosei         Salamence      Good
Alphamax      Garchomp       Good
Kokusho       Hydreigon      Good
Sidewinder    Dragapult      Good
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
I wanna become a Pokémon!
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 14:52:36 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
METENO had given them a small taste of what space travel was like. It was time to bring things to the next level by blasting off to the moon itself. This was going to be a long trip... They couldn't just fly there on the back of their Pokémon; they'd need a proper spacecraft. Luckily, the magnanimous League covered all of the expenses. Was it safe to send two young adults with no astronaut training into space? Probably.

Andrea arrived at the Mossdeep Space Center already wearing the same protective suit she'd worn during the meteoroid raid. She held her helmet underneath one arm, while the other was raised to gleefully wave at the senior Gym leader upon making eye contact. "Morning, Mr. Devlin! I'm ready to go to space! I've never been to the moon! This is so exciting! Eek!" The young woman squeed, barely able to contain her giddiness.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 19:25:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Regardless of whether the duo had formal astronaut training, they had been to space before, which was the primary reason the League had approved the duo for the mission. Josh, likewise, arrived in his League-provided suit, carrying his helmet to make his face visible. He didn't think he would be wearing it again, and certainly not so soon. "Great to see you again, Leader Vaneau! You can call me Josh if you'd like; no need to be so formal around me. Ready to go dragon riding together above the lunar surface?" While it was certainly the most fun part of their mission, they still needed to collect data on how dragons flew in the vacuum of space. With the lunar surface unprotected by an atmosphere, gravity would be the only difference between doing the tests there and actual spaceflying.

Once the two were inside the small spacecraft and airborne, Josh had quite the story to tell. He would have a lot of time to tell it, too; after all, the lunar body was hours away. "The closest I've gotten to space since then was when let me go for a ride on Rayquaza last month. I have no idea how she does it. It didn't take much to just...throw up. For someone who calls himself the Master of Faster, to get motion sick like that... it's a disgrace," he frowned.

{WC: 232}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 20:49:01 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
3... 2... 1... Blast off!

Once they had officially left the Earth's atmosphere, Andrea took the opportunity to toy with zero gravity to her heart's content, floating in the spacecraft's interior with utmost glee. "Wheee! It feels like I'm swimming!" She jovially exclaimed. Sure, they were there to conduct research for the League, but that didn't mean that they couldn't have fun.

The eccentric girl opened a bottle of fizzy lemonade, catching the airborne drops of juice with her mouth. She didn't even realize that Josh was telling a story until 's name was brought up. "Oh yeah, Ms. Eva is amazing! She's a very intelligent scientist, and on top of that she's friends with Lord Rayquaza, who's objectively the best legendary!" The dragon fanatic remarked.

Latching unto a bolted chair while her lower body still floated in the air, Andrea stared at Josh with wide eyes. "Did you say that you rode on Lord Rayquaza?! How did it feel? I only got to pet their head and it was the best moment of my life! Isn't their smooth skin just the best?" She seemed to be borderline obsessed with the emerald serpent. Once she had started talking about it, she could not shut up.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 21:54:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The trip became a lot more peaceful after the spacecraft's violent rocking about from having to reach escape velocity. Thankfully, League technology had evolved to the point where navigation between stellar bodies could be done by a computer instead of the two needing to also steer! They could enjoy the sights of interstellar space and catch up on each others' goings-on. While Josh wasn't having quite as much fun as Andrea was in zero gravity, he did laugh at the sensation of having no body weight. "It's such a weird feeling," he remarked. "It's not even exactly swimming. In water, there's at least friction to stop you. Not so here." Well, there was some, but it was so little as to be negligible.

"She is amazing, yeah!" Josh nodded. "She and helped me locate a new ABSOLITE to replace the one that mean Kyurem broke." The Mauville racer's eyebrows rose at her remark about Rayquaza being the best legendary Pokémon. Given she was a dragon fanatic, it made sense for her to worship Rayquaza. After his ride on the dragonlord, they were up there on his favorites list, too. How could he not like the fastest Pokémon in the world? "Andrea, I think you spelled Raikou wrong," he jeered. "Did you forget about the Great Raikou, who clears the scary valley in just one bound?" He was, of course, referencing a children's song about the Hero of Johto who rode the Great Raikou.

Andrea's reaction wasn't unexpected, though Josh did need time to collect his thoughts. "Yep, you heard me. Eva wanted someone backing her up on her first EXTREME SPEED run. From the beginning, it was fast. Really fast. Like... take the speed of your fastest dragon and stick a zero on the right side of it. You can't imagine how fast Rayquaza is. We both wore flight suits that meshed with their scales to keep us from falling off. And even then, it was nothing short of paralyzing. Not to mention what actually happened when he used the move." He paused again to collect his thoughts. "First Articuno, then Rayquaza, then Raikou... I wonder how many more legendary Pokémon I'll be able to hop on?"

{WC: 371}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 9:55:55 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"Raikou...?" The Rayquaza-obsessed girl narrowed her eyes. Oh, it was on! "Can Raikou quell Groudon and Kyogre at their strongest? Can Raikou blow up meteorites with ease? Can Raikou Mega Evolve out of sheer willpower?" She nerded out, showing her rarely seen sassy side. Nobody was going to belittle the great dragon god on her watch!

Their nerd fight was short lived, as the Mauville Gym leader sang praises to Rayquaza's speed, bringing a smile to the young woman's lips. "Oh yeah, Lord Rayquaza is so fast I bet they could circle the globe in just a few hours if they put their mind to it!" Andrea remarked, her interest piquing when Josh revealed that Rayquaza wasn't the only legendary Pokémon he had ridden. "Well, if I ever by some stroke of luck become friends with a legendary, I'll definitely let you ride them!"

Following her unlikely promise, Andrea wistfully stared outside the window at the tiny blue orb that was their planet. "It looks so small from up here. I can barely see Hoenn... What do you think is there about our region specifically that keeps drawing legendary Pokémon?" She asked her fellow space traveler.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 21:42:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The stories Andrea had to share were fascinating, and a great way to pass the time. "Arceus really gave Raikou the short end of the stick, didn't He..." the racer sighed, having to pull himself back into his chair after instinctually tapping his feet against the floor caused him to start floating away. "Suicune can control the wind and make water pure no matter how filthy it is. Entei can manipulate tectonics with his mighty roar. What can Raikou do? Go really friggin fast. That's why I like him, but..." He trailed off, unsure what to follow it up with and ultimately left it at that.

"It wasn't so bad at first when they flew in a straight line above the sea," Josh recounted his trip astride the sky dragon. "When Rayquaza turned into a green comet, Mossdeep City was on the horizon. Seconds later, it was whipping past us. We had to wear special flight suits that meshed with his scales and anchored our lower bodies just to ride them at all." He shared the top speed the dragon reached: a number he would remember as long as he loved ultrafast Pokémon. It was well beyond any Pokémon he had ever been on, and that included the small list of legendary Pokémon he had been astride. "It's a speed humans really aren't meant to go riding at." Josh warmly smiled at Andrea's remark. "And the same to you. Raikou was an unforgettable experience I'd love to share with anyone willing."

Andrea's point was something Josh had never pondered despite all of the madness that had occurred since he came from Johto what was it, over seven months ago now? "I've yet to give that much thought," Josh wondered. He thought about it for much of the rest of the trip, including over a well-preserved lunch.

The capsule landed on the lunar surface without incident, Josh putting his helmet on and snapping his belt of dragon Pokémon into place. "I'll initiate depressurization when you're ready to disembark, Andrea. Let's ride some dragons! Maybe we can figure out why some of them don't need to breathe oxygen."

{WC: 360}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 22:56:48 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Josh's first-hand account all but confirmed Andrea's estimation of how fast the lord of the sky was. If it could get past Mossdeep City in a flash, circling the globe should be child's play with its Extremespeed. Even the one thing Raikou supposedly excelled at other legendaries did better. Oof...

Soon after lunchtime, they'd finally landed on the moon. Josh put his protective helmet on, urging his dragon nerd of a friend to follow suit. Once she was fully geared up, Andrea let her signature Pokémon out of its ball. "We're ready, right Chomper?" She said, the shiny Hydreigon growling affirmatively.

This was it... It was time to take a giant leap on behalf of mankind. Surreal as it was, METENO had already prepared them for the experience. Andrea steeled herself in anticipation of that hatch opening to reveal their lunar training grounds.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 23:42:05 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The hiss of depressurization made Josh flinch. He had flown to the Meteor in Arricuno's metaphorical saddle last time he was conscripted to space. Once the light above the door had changed from red to green, the hatch opened as if on cue. With there being no atmosphere, the sun was even brighter than it was on earth, making it impossible to face in its direction comfortably.

Reaching for a Poké Ball at his waist, Josh sent out his own Hydreigon, Kokusho. If Andrea was paying close attention, she would have easily noticed the dark-type was no longer wearing reins. Equipped with only a saddle, the vicious creature only allowed himself to be controlled with the bridle of trust. It was trust Josh had worked hard to build up.

Once the two lunar explorers landed on the crater-filled surface, Josh rest his hands on his Hydreigon's saddle and hoisted himself upward. The low gravity caused all his movements to be both delayed and greatly exaggerated, the force of his normal leap into the saddle instead sending him flying over the Pokémon's back. All three heads laughing, Kokusho flew beneath him to catch him, the Mauville Leader landing perfectly in the dragon's seat. "That's one thing a lot of people don't realize about low gravity. Sure you can jump really high, but it also slows you down a lot. The low gravity is the only reason I was able to maintain control while riding my Manectric's HYPERSONIC PLASMA CHARGE when we were on Meteno."

{WC: 254}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 22, 2023 14:07:02 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
After her eyes had adjusted to the blinding light of the sun, Andrea jumped out of the hatch, her body slowly dropping down to lunar soil as if sinking in molasses. Chomper had comparatively an easier time moving in a minuscule gravity environment, seamlessly floating in the vacuum of space by waving his six wings.

The young PokéManiac giggled at Josh's clumsy attempt to mount his Hydreigon. "Heh. Are you really gonna let the low gravity slow you down? I thought you were the Master of Faster!" She teased him, before attempting to mount her own Hydreigon with a more moderate leap. The three-headed dragon hovered directly underneath his trainer, allowing her to land squarely on his back.

With that, they began flying at a steady pace, getting the hang of things. Unlike Kokusho, Andrea's own Hydreigon needed no saddle or anything of the sort. She and Chomper were so close that the dragon was like an extension of her body, and any attempt at 'taming' him would bring him to a level lower than her.

"Where to next, Mr. Dev- I mean, Josh." The trainer of dragons asked the Mauville Gym leader through their comms.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2023 22:16:18 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Andrea's remark earned a scowl from Josh, then a laugh after he realized the remark was in jest. "Frankly, the low gravity of the meteor may have saved my life when I rode Saber. On Hoenn's surface, he'd be outrunning bullets from high caliber guns, which is really scary to think about." And yet, it was a necessary component for his Sygna Suit.

Josh was impressed Andrea could ride Chomper with no gear at all. While it was trainer preference, Hydreigon were so vicious and so fickle that the extra level of comfort, both for the mount and for the rider, were often needed. "You and Chomper must be really close partners, like my Manectric," he mused as the two flew above the lunar surface, their combined twelve wings operating in slow motion.

She then asked the Elite what the order of operations would be. "Long as we collect lunar samples for the League and see how all our dragons react to the airless environment, we can go wherever we want. I don't think I'd want to explore the lunar subterrane, though." There was only one way to find out, and that was to cycle through all six. Josh sent out Sidewinder, his Dragapult, who seemed to be able to adapt to the conditions of space just fine.

{WC: 218}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2023 16:43:52 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The deep bond between trainer and Pokémon didn't go unnoticed by the senior Gym leader. His comment brought a small smile upon Andrea's lips, not that anyone could tell through her helmet. "Of course! I've had Chomper since I was a little girl. We practically grew up together." She stated, while patting her Hydreigon's middle head.

Josh decided to let more of his dragons out to play, and the young PokéManiac followed suit, sending out a Dragapult of her own. "Stella here is very good at exploring, since she can phase through anything!" The dragon fanatic boasted. Her ghostly salamander tried to impress Sidewinder with its Agility, although speed didn't really matter as long as they were in space.

"Speaking of lunar samples... Do you think we could find Moon Stones here since they're so rare on Earth?" Andrea asked her fellow space traveler, her chaotic mind already racing with the possibilities of letting every wild Nidorino in the region evolve into a Nidoking.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2023 18:33:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Indeed, the relationship between Andrea and Chomper was similar to that his own with his Manectric. "Saber was my first Pokémon; I got him when I was ten. We've been inseparable since. It brings tears to his eyes every time I don't put him on my belt for an assignment where he won't be helpful, such as this one." Sidewinder wouldn't let himself be outdone by Stella, attempting to match her AGILITY with a DRAGON DANCE of his own. "That's one thing I've been meaning to try but I keep forgetting Dragapult can do. When you're riding Stella, do you phase with her? I've done it with an Espeon using ALLY SWITCH, and he can teleport me along just fine."

The topic of a Moon Stone harvest came up, Josh smiling beneath his helmet. "That's a really good idea! We should keep our eyes out for loose Moon Stones while we're testing our dragons out. It seems like the Dragapult can breathe just fine." With a strong lean, Josh wheeled his Hydreigon around Andrea in s display of speed before resuming a more casual flight next to his shiny counterpart. He withdrew Sidewinder and sent out his next dragon, a Garchomp.

"Andrea, this is Alphamax," he introduced the Pokémon, who seemed to have no difficulty at least maintaining his vitals in the airless environment. When the ground-type started to prepare for takeoff, both of his engines would not spool due to the lack of air surrounding them. "That's strange. Neither one of his bio-engines are working," Josh noticed aloud.

{WC: 261}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 11:06:17 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The young PokéManiac was taken aback by the senior Gym leader's question. "Do I phase with her?! No, I don't think that's how it works. I haven't tried it, though..." She mused in response.

Stella melted into a shadowy puddle on the ground, before reemerging from her trainer's torso, letting out a shrill sound akin to laughter. "Whoa, I didn't know you could phase through people!" Andrea exclaimed in surprise. Having a Dragapult's head sticking out of her (quite big) chest sure looked weird, but it was the kind of weird she enjoyed.

Josh sent out his Garchomp, whom Andrea remembered from her Gym challenge. "How are you doing, Alphamax?" The dragon enthusiast decided to follow suit by sending out her own Garchomp, Finn. Sadly, it seemed neither of them were able to take off like they normally would. "Hmm, maybe it's because Garchomp glide rather than fly, and you can't glide without wind." The girl theorized.

Indeed, Finn found himself uncontrollably floating in the vacuum of space. With no way of steering himself, the shark-like dragon flailed his limbs helplessly, until Andrea returned him to the safety of his Pokéball. "I've got you, Finn, don't worry... That could've gone bad. We should be more careful with what kind of Pokémon we send out here."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 20:54:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed neither one of them had tried phasing with their ghostly dragons before. Josh was confident his could, given how similar it was to a teleport. The ethereal, for ghost-types, and the astral, for psychic-types, were just two different conduits to achieve what humans called teleportation. "No time like the present, right? Sidewinder!" Josh cried, the Dragapult flying underneath Kokusho. Josh withdrew the Hydreigon beneath him and landed atop the swift dragon, feeling his swishing tail rocking back and forth. He laughed upon seeing Stella halfway inside Andrea and halfway out. "Dragapult really are unique, aren't they?" he mused as he floated above the lunar surface.

Alphamax flexed his blade-fins in an imposing stance, trying to show his strength to the dragon master and to Finn. It seemed neither of the Garchomp were able to fly in the airless environment. "That and in order to take off, they need air passing through their little thrusters on the sides of their heads. They work almost like biological jet engines, from what I understand. Hell, they even sound like them."

With Finn's floating an accident waiting to happen, Josh switched the Garchomp out for Yosei, his Salamence. This dragon had no difficulty taking off, finding the process of getting above the lunar surface easily, but the lack of air made it much more difficult for the dragon's wings to hold it aloft. The Salamence was more of a high jumper than capable of true flight. He left Yosei to experiment in the new environment before focusing his attention on Sidewinder and Andrea again.

"I'm gonna have Sidewinder use PHANTOM FORCE on a count of three," Josh warned Andrea. "One... two... three!" And with that, both the dragon and the rider disappeared.

{WC: 290}
{PC: 8}