6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Here I Go Again On My Own [Gym]
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2023 15:53:28 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Challenger Merlo's Vikavolt and Vibrava are unable to battle. Judges' call: two points, Leader Devlin. Match point: Leader Devlin."

"Fast, isn't he?" Josh taunted. "Sometime soon, I gotta show you what it's like from his back while he's using that move. Remember when we went flying together?" he asked, half as a friendly offer and half as a distraction to try to gain an edge in the very close battle. He doubted his frienemy -- no, true friend now -- would fall for it, be he had to angle shoot to get any advantage he could.

This Lucario was more than familiar with Josh, and he was familiar with her, as well. AURA SPHERE was an attack Josh knew was his team's weakness. He relied on weaponizing speed not only offensively, but defensively. This was one of those attacks that there was no dodging, though. The faster its target got, the faster the attack got. Aslan desperately tried to swerve out of the way, but the soul ball took the same path he did. And faster, at that. The Pyroar flew out of bounds from the explosive force. "Leader Devlin's Pyroar is unable to battle. Judges' call: one point, Challenger Merlo. Sudden death."

This match was too close. Saber had the edge in speed and power, but Knuckles had an unavoidable attack. The only way Josh had to dodge the unavoidable... was to prevent the unavoidable from happening. "Saber, THUNDER WAVE!" he shouted over the loud gallery. Every observer could tell from the intensity in his voice that he was truly giving it his all, and so was the Manectric that circled the Lucario with a tether of stunning electricity headed the fighting-type's way.

{WC: 262}
{PC: 8}

FIELD: Spikes (1)

- Aslan is launched out of bounds.
- Saber tries to paralyze Knuckles with Thunder Wave to prevent further Aura Spheres from firing.

NAME             SPECIES          STATUS
Aslan            Pyroar**         KO  

Bladestorm       Skarmory         KO  
Reshe
ph          Dragonair        OB  
Saber            Manectric        Good  
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2023 17:40:49 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Wait for it . . ."[break][break]

Isaac and Knuckles watched the Manectric carefully as he ran circles around her, Josh's command was loud and clear; a stunning technique was coming out, and the question wasn't if it would hit. It was where and when. At first, Knuckles tried to face Saber, but no matter how quickly she tried to turn, the Manectric was always a step ahead of her.[break][break]

"Wait for it!"[break][break]

Now Knuckles got the hint. She stopped turning, eased her eyes shut, and straightened her posture. Her ears rippled back and forth in the breeze, and her breathing slowed to the point where her heart had practically stilled.[break][break]

Finally, she felt the air to her side begin to crackle. That was her cue. The Lucario shot vanished into a blur, the Thunder Wave tearing past the space that she once occupied.[break][break]

"You're not the only one with Extreme Speed on your side!" The blue blur coasted around the perimeter of the arena, grazing past the white line as if it was a dare. Then, kicking up a massive cloud of dust in her wake, she peeled into a different direction and launched straight towards Saber.[break][break]

TEAL DEER;[break]
Knuckles uses Extremespeed to dodge and counter. Simple post!

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2023 17:51:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh knew the move Extreme Speed quite well. He owned one of almost every single common ride Pokémon that could learn it. The one exception was Linoone, and Linoone were too small for a rider that had as big of a frame as he did. He regularly rode during Extreme Speed, which gave him the visual acuity needed to follow the blindingly fast move in battle.

That wasn't making it any easier for Saber to dodge the fighting-type's backhand, though; the electric-type screeched loudly from being stabbed near his sensitive underside. His instincts took over, loosing a retaliatory, point-blank DISCHARGE without so much as a command. While THUNDER WAVE was the most effective way to slow down a speedster like Lucario, it wasn't the only one! And if anyone on the Gym circuit understood the concept of speed control, it was Josh!

{WC: 143}
{PC: 9}

Reshe
Saber            Manectric
        Good  
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 31, 2023 0:00:38 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Saber's lightning reflexes allowed for lightning fast retaliation. Before Knuckles could even get her guard up, electricity coursed through her body. Her fur stood on end, and as she tried to follow up and press the attack she found herself buckling ever so slightly.[break][break]

She winced in pain, eyes squeezed shut. And then they shot right back open.[break][break]

The steadfast Lucario wasn't about to succumb so easily, even in the face of adversity. Sure, her wince would give Saber a chance to establish distance between them again, but that just meant Knuckles would have to step up her game even more. Her next footstep was even heavier than the last, allowing her to lunge after Saber in a sudden burst of speed.[break][break]

Long, forceful covered more ground than her usual controlled stance, a change to the tempo of her movements that was more friendly to the shock rippling through her muscles. In lieu of her typical defensive posture, Knuckles' current technique put emphasis on forceful movements. It was as if even in movement, she was priming her body to unleash something stronger.[break][break]

Perhaps she was. Were she able to get close enough to Saber, she would lash out with a lunging punch. It was the first step of a heavy Close Combat beatdown, Knuckles intent on raining blow after blow at Saber to try and burn through her foe's energy reserves.[break][break]

How ironic. Were she a quadruped, she'd fit right in with Josh's favored strategies.[break][break]

TEAL DEER;[break]
Direct hit! The daze from being shocked also gives Saber a chance to get some breathing room.[break]
Not for long, though. Knuckles snaps out of the daze and picks up the pace.[break]
She aims to intercept Saber and rain down a Close Combat barrage on him.

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2023 7:24:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Saber took advantage of Knuckles' recoil by backing away, running along the edges of Isaac's half of the battle court. The plan was to use his momentum to flick a sphere of electricity at the fighting-type faster than even the master of Aura could follow. The Lucario put a monkey wrench in that plan as, even paralyzed, the lingering effects of EXTREME SPEED allowed her to outrun Saber.

Josh was cornered. He only had one desperation move left in him. The CLOSE COMBAT gambit posed an unexpected risk to it. While it was powerful, the flurry of blows would leave its user open to speedy attacks. If struck in the right place, not even Knuckles' steel typing would save her. If not, Saber would be out of the battle, overwhelmed by punches that sounded like a drumroll with how rapid they were.

He made his stand here.

"Saber, QUICK ATTACK!" Kicking up grass and dirt around him, the Manectric fearlessly zipped toward Knuckles in an effort to topple her between punches.

{WC: 171}
{PC: 10}

Reshe
S
aber            Manectric        Critical  
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2023 3:02:35 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]The Close Combat took a lot of out Knuckles. Even a Pokemon as practiced as a Lucario couldn't sustain that barrage for long, and along with her defenses it took a toll on her stamina. When even her Close Combat left Saber still standing, Isaac knew that they were going to have to weather whatever storm came next.[break][break]

Much to Isaac's surprise, it wasn't a desperation power play. Instead, Josh fell back on his greatest asset; speed.[break][break]

A slower technique may have given Knuckles a chance to try dodging. Not this time. The Quick Attack bore down on Knuckles quickly, Isaac barely having the chance to shout "Brace yourself!" before contact was made.[break][break]

Accepting the futility, Knuckles hunkered down and tried to hold her ground. Saber scored a solid blow to her midsection, but Knuckles did her best to wrap her arms around him and fight back against the blow. Moment by moment, the two skidded back, and Isaac realized all too late the true threat of Saber's onslaught. They were getting closer and closer to the penalty line, and no amount of digging her heels in would stop them from careening over the edge.[break][break]

"Stop fighting it, keep rolling with it!" Isaac said. "Lean back, hurry!"[break][break]

Knuckles nodded, eyes focused and teeth grit. Rather than keep pushing back Saber, she surrendered, letting his momentum send the two of them shooting back. Steady . . . steady . . . steady . . . now![break][break]

Knuckles' journey from resistance to surrender ended at redirection. Leaning back, she rolled her body to the side and let Saber's momentum slingshot him forward. Instead of a Pokemon move, she took a page out of Isaac's grappling training, acting more like a sumo redirecting their foe's momentum at the last possible stretch of battlefield.[break][break]

With any luck, her last-minute toss would leave Saber hurtling right out of the ring. Would she have the footing needed to turn his greatest strength into a disadvantage?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2023 9:32:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Holding his breath, Josh watched Saber and Knuckles go at it. Knuckles had control of the grapple, but Saber had the momentum advantage. The white line on the edge of the grass field was coming up as the two continued to tumble. It was a miracle the Manectric was still in the battle, but it wouldn't last long. They were going out of bounds. It was just a matter of which would go out of bounds first.

It seemed the QUICK ATTACK had disrupted Knuckles enough to end the flurry of blows early. "DISCHARGE, Saber! Now!" the Gym Leader shouted. This point-blank blow was one Josh was certain the Lucario would be unable to avoid. The point of the DISCHARGE was not to knock the Lucario out. It was to break free of the grapple long enough to slow himself and make sure Isaac's Pokémon went out first.

Grass caught on fire as the grounded electric blast congealed around the beleaguered Pokémon. Its brilliance made it difficult to see which of the two touched the white line first. After the light faded to the point where they were visible, both side judges held up a red flag indicating a ring-out for Saber. Pulling his right-side pants leg up, Josh reached into the space between his sock and his ankle, pulling out a small red flag of his own and gently tossing it to his side of the battle court. The ruling on the field was Saber slid out of bounds first. The head judge stepped onto the battle court and turned his microphone on.

"The previous exchange is under review."

{WC: 271}
{PC: 11}

Reshe
S
aber            Manectric        OB  
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2023 3:45:24 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]The Discharge pushed back against Knuckles, breaking her grasp just as she launched Saber forward. The electrical pulse sent them both flying away from one another in a V formation. Isaac's breath caught in his throat. Even in the final moments of the final round, this battle had been a clencher.[break][break]

The judges raised their flags. Both agreed that Saber had been the first to fall. Isaac let his breath go, prepared to head over to Knuckles and congratulate her on a job well done.[break][break]

Then Josh threw out a contesting flag, and Isaac found his breath sucking itself back into his lungs. Right when he thought he could relax, this was going to instant replay? Seriously?[break][break]

One gym leader's call equaled two judge's rulings, and the head judge called the play onto the big screen. In super slow motion, Saber and Knuckles broke away from each other, hurtling down the stadium floor. Clouds of dust kicked up in Saber's wake as he tried to ease his momentum to a stop. The Manectric slowed down, bit by bit. He wasn't able to decelerate fast enough to avoid a ring out, but he did seem to be moving slower than Knuckles. Had the judges called wrong after all?[break][break]

Knuckles, in contrast, seemed to be desperately flailing for the ground. However, Isaac knew his Lucario was made of sterner stuff than that. What seemed to be a flail was actually the Lucario reorienting itself in the air, followed by a heavy Meteor Mash aimed towards the ground. The Lucario's fist smashed into the ground with enough force to find purchase, if just for a moment.[break][break]

She wasn't able to stop herself. However, she was able to drastically reduce her speed, the earth beneath her churning and cracking all the while. Pain and focus blended in equal measure along the Lucario's features as she kept herself in the uncomfortable position, waiting until Saber was right by the borderline of the arena. Only then was she forced to pull her arm back, leaving her flying out milliseconds after Saber crossed the line.[break][break]

It was as close of a call as there ever could be. However, in the end, it was Knuckles' very namesake that spurred her into victory.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Apr 6, 2023 3:40:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The footage had been rewound and slowed down several times as the judges analyzed the close battle in their own booth. While it wasn't at the same point the judges were looking at, the Leader, challenger, and gallery got a good look at the exchange. "Either way, this was a hell of a battle, Isaac," he called out across the now-still battleground. "I'm not disappointed at all. This is the kind of battle I've always wanted to have with you. After looking at the replay, though, you've probably--" A roar from the gallery interrupted their conversation as the head judge walked onto the battle court, turning his microphone on.

"After reviewing the exchange, the ruling on the field stands. Manectric has been forced out of bounds. The victor is challenger ."

At last, the trainers' platforms began to retract, fireworks going off above the battle court to celebrate the challenger's victory. Josh knew there was no more to say, other than what his job required him to. Approaching his frienemy -- no, friend -- at the center of the court, he solemnly nodded. He presented a closed fist at Isaac's chest level, then opened it up to reveal a well-earned QUICK BADGE. "Isaac, you've earned this. It is the official Hoenn League Quick Badge. Wear it with pride. This Gym has a history of being run by some of the toughest and most successful Leaders in Hoenn. Never forget that."

Once the crowd began to disperse, the Leader casually asked, "When are we gonna go riding again? A victory lap around some place near here sounds fun, doesn't it? Not today, of course, but in the near future!"

{WC: 276}
{PC: 12}

Reshe
S
aber            Manectric        OB  
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,317 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Apr 7, 2023 21:01:45 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Content, Knuckles walked up to Isaac, shooting him an exhausted smile. The two exchanged a quick fist bump, at which point she took her place by his side.[break][break]

He accepted the badge from Josh, his grin both proud and heavy with meaning. This was his third battle challenge, and each had been harder than the last. He was surprisingly far along a journey he'd never intended to embark on. Part of him was hit by a creeping dread at the fact for reasons he couldn't understand. Another part of him found his chest swelling with pride.[break][break]

It felt surprisingly natural as he pinned the badge into place. And to think he once said he'd never show his face here again.[break][break]

Perhaps one day, he'd grow into someone who truly earned the strides he'd taken. Perhaps Josh, too, would grow to match the ranks of the highest echelons of Hoenn's gym leaders. This badge was a promise that both of them would meet that potential coming for them.[break][break]

The cameras were off and the veil came down. Even Josh's dread seemed to have disappeared, his tone taking a turn for the casual. Were it not for the fact that their victory lap couldn't be today, Isaac would have forgotten anything was amiss.[break][break]

It was Isaac's turn to offer a fist now, this time not for a gift but for a bump. "Next time I see you, it's on," he said, flashing him that winning smile.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,911 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Apr 8, 2023 22:08:31 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]GYM BATTLE COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: