Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
A keen mind cuts deeper than even the sharpest sword.
awards
1,025 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 6, 2023 0:05:04 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]A sharp knife cuts the quickest and hurts the least.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]It had been a slow morning at the Iron Lady Forge, and Aurelie was taking advantage of the lull in business to address, well, the business side of running her forge. Reluctantly, the red-haired smith plopped down behind the front counter of her shop with a sigh and leaned forward over the pile of spreadsheets, receipts, cash-flow statements, and balance sheets. While Aurelie didn't exactly hate bookkeeping, it certainly was the least fun part of being a smith.

And sometimes it even verged slightly on depressing. The publicity from the the Steel Chef cooking contest had seemingly prompted a modest uptick in business, for which Aurelie congratulated herself. Considering that she'd never run a contest like that before, she thought it'd gone well—and 's cooking skills, much like his sneaking and assassination services, were clearly to die for.

The contest had been a month ago, though, and the good publicity couldn't last forever. By now, things had died back down to baseline normality for the Iron Lady Forge as far as finances and productivity were concerned. With no new commissions or special projects to give her a boost—and certainly no independent wealth of her own—Aurelie found herself uncomfortably concerned about how little profit she was making after bills, rent, and minor necessities like groceries and gas.

Sighing again, Aurelie leaned forward on her elbows and propped her chin in her hands. She watched the front door of her shop wistfully as people outside walked obliviously past. Her savings were sizable, but she didn't want to dip into them now. Money wasn't flowing out from her business like Meteor Falls yet...right?

Right?

A new commission would be awfully welcome right about now, though, Aurelie thought pensively. Any chance that a fabulously wealthy, extremely powerful, and somewhat eccentric customer just walks through the door right now? Maybe one who wants an extraordinary new blade that they can't get anywhere else and are willing to pay top Pokedollar for?

She smiled to herself and shook her head a little. No, things like that only happen in small business fairy tales, right? ...Right?

[attr="class","aurelie_tag"]

| Mission: Intrepid Sword (RR)

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.aurelie]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#862939;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag]text-align:center;font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag a]font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 6, 2023 6:56:13 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Though he tries to think about the fight with and as little as possible, still bitter on account of his near-drowning, one thing is impossible to ignore: he was down a solid blade. Having coated it in poison and shoved it into the captain's gut, it had been lost when Skyler had dragged them both into the ocean's maw.[break][break]

He's in no real rush to replace it. He has other knives to suit in the meantime.[break][break]

But when he happens across the IRON LADY FORGE on a job in Lilycove, he recalls 's recommendation.[break][break]

He has the time. As an underboss, he makes his own schedule unless Walsh demands otherwise. The boss seems largely happy to trust Cillian to his own devices, a blessing in contrast to Kanto where he'd scarcely have breathed without permission.[break][break]

So, after ensuring there were no others inside, he steps inside and clicks his tongue softly to instruct his Zoroark to drop the DISGUISE.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 Intrepid Sword

[attr="class","pkmn"][break]

[newclass=.twtgm] --accent: #765d75; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .main] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,025 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 8, 2023 22:31:10 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]A sharp knife cuts the quickest and hurts the least.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Scarcely a few minutes after Aurelie wistfully pictured a prospective customer of extravagant wealth and very specific tastes entering her shop, the door to her shop pushed open and a man stepped inside. The red-haired smith sprang to her feet, startled but pleased by what seemed to be the answer to her hope.

If this is really how the universe works, she thought with a mental chuckle, can I ask for world peace? And eternal youth? And two working eyes? And an adoring harem of beautiful men and women all devoted to me?

Her amusement at her own escalating absurdity faded, though, almost as rapidly as the man's disguise did once the door closed behind him. Aurelie gasped in shock. In place of the ordinary face and form he'd been wearing at first was someone who looked vaguely—yet hauntingly—familiar, someone who brought to mind feelings of fear and doubt.

Keeping her single uncovered eye fixed on him, Aurelie cleared her throat with an effort and stepped out from behind the counter. "Welcome to the Iron Lady Forge," she said brightly. "I can see already that you're not the usual sort of customer. If you're here looking for a blade that's equally unusual and extraordinary, then I'm happy to help."

As the red-haired smith slowly came closer, the faint feelings of fear and doubt sharpened, as did her memory. She'd seen him once before, she was sure of it. It'd been at a distance...surrounded by dark shadows and curling mist through which his amber eyes had shone as bright as beacons...atop some stairs that rose high above the crowd she'd been part of...

She had it, then. That fateful Rocket summit in Sootopolis, not quite a year ago. This man had stood on the step just below Declan Walsh, lined up beside his fellow underbosses.

Aurelie caught her breath, her heart thudding. Then, her natural insouciance coming to the forefront, the red-haired smith swept a low, courteous bow and then flashed a warm smile at the man. "It's an honor to have such a high-ranking customer in my humble shop," she continued, her tone a little softer now. "And it would be an even greater honor to build a custom blade for you."

Normally, she'd introduce herself now as the shop's proprietor, but given who he was, she figured that he already probably knew very well who she was and what she did. Instead, Aurelie continued simply, " Tell me what you envision, what gave you the idea for the piece, and why it's important to you. I'd be happy to interpret your thoughts into a one-of-a-kind blade."

[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 9, 2023 15:35:40 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Reading people, at least on a rudimentary level, is part of Cillian's job. You had to take their temperature before you could take them apart. So he notices the slight hitch of breath, the shift in the room as something changes. She recognizes him, he thinks, or at least has some idea that he might be a threat.[break][break]

Then she recovers, smiles, and confirms his initial assumption with a few key words: high-ranking. His amber eyes gleam. No shadows surround him, but that same deep voice (now coloured with a rich Galarian accent) lilts in answer.[break][break]

"Your work comes highly recommended."[break][break]

The idea of something one-of-a-kind intrigues him; the knife he was replacing had been no special thing, merely a utility blade that could be easily hidden on his person. She'd be able to see the consideration settle over his features, tugging a thoughtful frown upon his lips and etching lines around his eyes. The movement tugs at the stitched and still healing wound on his cheek.[break][break]

"For as much as I am known, I prefer the option of subterfuge," he says at last. "I would like something that could be easily concealed upon my person. A knife can be a tool for many things, but this would have a singular purpose."[break][break]

He trusts her to understand what that purpose was without the need to underline it, and so he doesn't.[break][break]

"However," and a touch of amusement curls his lip, "I do hear you make knives for more, ah, mundane purposes as well. I would be happy to lend my business in that department, also."[break][break]

He does not know her business is struggling. It is simple happenstance that Cillian is a man loyal to his choice of business, and that this forge was run by a Rocket meant there was no other option.
[break][break]
"As to what spawned the idea, mm, I'm afraid that's not so exciting. My last blade went the way of the deep, at Dewford." She could draw whatever inferences she pleased from that. "I am no artist. I trust in your process, and your ability to create something worthy of my attention."

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 Intrepid Sword

[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,025 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 10, 2023 23:41:02 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]A SHARP KNIFE CUTS THE QUICKEST AND HURTS THE LEAST.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie's face lit up as the underboss—who graciously acknowledged her recognition of his Rocket status with a subtle flicker of the eyes and a succinct explanation of what had brought him into her shop—mentioned the word "subterfuge". He went on to specify that he was seeking a weapon that could be discreet and easily concealed but also deadly. At least, that was how Aurelie interpreted the phrase "a singular purpose" that he uttered so ominously.

He also mentioned that he might be interested in knives with more mundane purposes, which the red-haired smith certainly wasn't loath to accommodate as well. His responses to her questions all hinted at mysterious, sinister purposes and activities—for instance, presumably a knife fight in Dewford Town, where Aurelie vaguely remembered hearing that a rift to another dimension had opened. Maybe that rift led to some sort of ocean world, she silently speculated, thinking on all possible meanings of the word "deep", like the rift I fell into in Littleroot that led to the mechanical robot realm.

Nevertheless, for the moment, Aurelie focused on what the man was asking for, not what he or she might have done in the recent or distant past. "Of course, I'd be happy to offer you a wide selection of everyday knives. A chef's knife for culinary work? A hunting knife for camping and hiking expeditions? Maybe even a dive knife if you ever venture into the deeps again?"

Relaxing slightly as she listed the possibilities she could offer, Aurelie shrugged and smiled, spreading her hands wide. "If you're interested, I'm certainly willing to craft these for you. For whatever purpose, in whatever material, size, and shape you need."

Then she moved onto the idea of making a concealable blade for the man. "And I certainly can make a small, easily concealed blade for you, if you wish. Nothing easier," she answered with the offhand nonchalance of one who possessed total confidence in her abilities.

"A folding knife with a blade that slides and locks into the handle? I recreated a military-grade model of a tactical folding knife for a retired soldier a little over a year ago." Right before she'd left Kalos for Hoenn, in fact. "So, I could devise something similar for you. Or perhaps something more like a karambit, if you prefer a wicked-looking curved blade."

Then, she paused and leaned forward eagerly, a glint in her uncovered eye. "But... Would you consider a blade that's even more concealed, perhaps? A slim, sleek blade that's hidden within a piece of jewelry or an everyday object like a pen or comb?" Aurelie's eye danced with anticipation, and her voice was vibrant with enthusiasm at the possibility.

"You see, I've always wanted to try and make something like an umbrella sword or a cane sword," she admitted candidly, her cheeks reddening slightly with self-consciousness. "But I...never got the opportunity. So, how would you feel about a weapon like that? Something that appears merely a charming adornment or an unthreatening utensil—right until you unsheathe the hidden blade and stab someone with it?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 12, 2023 19:41:07 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Cillian looks delighted.
[break][break]

"He was right in sending me to you."
[break][break]

As was the nature of their not-quite-friendship, he mostly talked business with . In times like these, he was glad of it.
[break][break]

"I find myself diving quite often." More than I'd like. "I'm not much of a hunter, but such a blade could come in handy during experiments." He might've appreciated it during his creation of the wicked Type: Null. "I'd take the lot. Materials and otherwise I leave to you; spare no expense, I'll see you're well-compensated."
[break][break]

Having held his position in Rocket for several years now, the underboss had more ill-gotten wealth than he often knew what to do with.
[break][break]

He offers more thought on the implements meant to kill.
[break][break]

"The tactical blade sounds appealing, but I can't deny my curiousity. And you can never have too many knives in my line of work." He still had his blade from his Kanto days, with its worn red handle. "So I'll indulge the other hidden blade, as well. If only I knew how to use a sword," he laments, thinking of the possibilities of the umbrella under Lugia's showers, "but alas it's best I stick to a smaller piece. You mentioned a pen? Always a good idea to carry a pen."
[break][break]

He smirks, amber eyes glittering.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 Intrepid Sword

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,025 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 14, 2023 21:36:23 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie's jaw dropped open in unabashed astonishment when the underboss responded to the options that she presented by essentially agreeing that he wanted all of them. "I'll take the lot. Spare no expense," he said, as easily and casually as the red-haired smith might say, "I'll buy a gallon of milk."

She wasn't quite sure what she'd done that had impressed him so much, but she certainly wasn't about to question her good fortune. Aurelie quickly noted down the order for a chef's knife, hunting knife, dive knife, and folding tactical knife, throwing in a paring knife and serrated bread knife for good measure. At the bottom, she also jotted down a list of her favorite high-quality alloys of both high-carbon steel and stainless steel, as well as some high-end handle materials like carbon fiber, Micarta, hardwoods like ebony and bloodwood, and even mother-of-pearl.

There must be something about Rocket higher-ups, Aurelie decided, thinking back to her one-time partnership with . When they want something, they want it all. And they're not afraid to add a lot of zeroes to the paycheck to get it.

Aloud, she replied, "It'll be my pleasure, sir. These kinds of large-scale custom commissions are an absolute joy to work on for me as a smith. I can send you an invoice for an initial deposit..." The businesslike words were still awkward for her to say, even after running her shop for over a year now.

"...but the balance won't be due until the work is finished," she went on, smoothing over the tiny pause. "Would you prefer to have everything delivered all at once, or to have each piece sent as soon as it's finished? Let me know your preference."

Then, at long last, Aurelie addressed the topic of the truly concealed blade. Far from ridiculing the idea or dismissing it, the Rocket underboss seemed to love the idea and even lamented not being able to wield all the weapons she suggested. She let out a breath that she hadn't realized she'd been holding, feeling relieved and excited by his enthusiasm.

"Now, that's a philosophy I can get behind," Aurelie agreed, flashing the underboss a mischievous grin. "You really can never have too many knives! Now, for the pen knife, I was thinking..."

She frowned a moment, trying to decide how she wanted to demonstrate what she was thinking. Then she held up the plastic ballpoint pen she was using and simply took it apart in front of him, pulling out the spring and ink cartridge from the cylindrical barrel.

"For most pens," Aurelie explained, her voice taking on a slightly more pedantic note, "this ink cartridge goes up the entire length of the pen. But in the pen I'd make for you, the pen part would only make up the bottom half of the pen. It'd still write just like you'd expect, although it'd have an ink cartridge half the size of an ordinary pen.

"That's because you'd be able to pull off the top half of the barrel here, since it's actually a sheath for a lightweight fixed steel blade. It wouldn't be very long, of course—maybe three or four inches—but it'd be serrated along one side and razor-sharp on the other. The pen would have a clip on the top half so you can slide it into your suit pocket."
Chuckling, she added, "And you could use it as a letter opener too!"

Putting the pen back together, Aurelie tapped it meditatively against her lips. "I could fabricate the pen's housings out of brass or aluminum and make it look elegant and stylish. And it's easy enough to adapt a normal pen's ink cartridge and spring to the smaller size..."

She trailed off and began sketching rapidly, drawing a simple pen and blade in a few quick strokes. Raising her head, she admitted, "I've never done anything quite like this, so it might take some trial and error. But I'm pretty confident that I can make it look and work like a writing pen but also function as a weapon that people wouldn't expect."

Aurelie tilted her head toward the direction of the underboss, her single dark eye meeting his amber gaze. "What do you think?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 19:25:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Where Aurelie feels a slight awkwardness, Cillian doesn't seem to notice — or perhaps it's simply that it doesn't bother him, the underboss nodding in acceptance of her terms.[break][break]

"Hm. Send them as you finish them."[break][break]

He's too excited by the prospect of testing them out to wait until they're all ready, and he doesn't want to put any pressure on her to finish any sooner than she needs to. He's not sure if she's susceptible to that sort of pressure, but best not to take the chance.[break][break]

He seems to take great interest in her explanation of the pen knife, golden gaze glittering with mischief and mirth.[break][break]

"It'll write, too? Even better."[break][break]

He'd expected little more than for the 'pen' to be for show, but the idea of signing off on reports with the same implement he could use to end a life brings him a twisted sort of amusement.[break][break]

"Take as much time as you need," he assures her. "The other knives will hold me over in the mean time. I think we have a deal."

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 Intrepid Sword

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,025 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 18, 2023 22:36:05 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]A SHARP KNIFE CUTS THE QUICKEST AND HURTS THE LEAST.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Buoyed up by the warmth of the underboss' evident approval, Aurelie relaxed enough to give a playful toss of her head in a show of mock indignation. "But of course the pen will write too!" she exclaimed, smiling warmly. "It would hardly be a good tool if it didn't perform both the functions it was designed for, don't you think? And I always take pride in crafting pieces that are as useful and as aesthetically pleasing as possible."

She relaxed further when the underboss assured her that she could take all the time she needed for his order. Though he'd been nothing but attentive and courteous during his visit, Aurelie had still feared he might be the sort that would want everything done tomorrow, even the specialty pen knife. She vowed to make his order her top priority, all the same; ensuring customer satisfaction in this case seemed like the best way to ensure her continuing existence.

"A deal it is," the red-haired smith agreed with an emphatic nod. She offered her hand for a handshake to seal the off-the-books contract. In a softer tone, she added, "Thank you."

It was a big commission that would take a lot of time and hard work. But Aurelie was determined to get it all done—and done as perfectly as she could manage.

First, she started with the chef's knife. While most ordinary kitchen knives were made from stainless steel, Aurelie almost always forged culinary knives from high-carbon steel unless specifically told to do otherwise. To be sure, high-carbon steel blades were more high-maintenance, requiring regular hand-drying, cleaning, and oiling to keep them from rusting or corroding, but they held an edge far better and could cut through an onion as easily as through air. In her mind, it was the best choice for serious chefs who took their cutting—and thus their knives—seriously.

And since she wanted to impress the underboss with a stunning, memorable product, Aurelie took a deep breath and chose to create a pattern-welded Damascus steel blade. She had promised something unique, after all, and Damascus steel was renowned for its beauty as well as its strength and resilience.

Over the course of a week, she worked on producing a billet containing 200 layers of forge-welded 1080 and 15N20 carbon steels. She shaped and manipulated the welded metal into a pattern that she knew would be dramatic and eye-catching. Then she hammered it into a classic, clean silhouette with a drop point, a curved belly to facilitate the rocking motion used in chopping or mincing, and a straight heel with an integral bolster.

With trepidation despite her many years of experience, Aurelie then heated, quenched, and tempered the blade, which to her relief emerged from these processes a hard, durable final product without being brittle or overly rigid. She held her breath again as she acid-etched the blade to bring out its pattern, letting out an exhalation of relief to see the feathery, undulating pattern of alternating dark-and-silver steel known as "River of Fire".

For the handle, she chose Arboliva wood with a golden-brown hue and wavy patterns that echoed the flowing steel patterning. Aurelie shaped the handle with a swell in the middle and at the end for a sure, comfortable grip.

About a week and a half after his visit to the Iron Lady Forge, the underboss received a package containing the finished chef's knife, along with an invoice and the following note:

Hello,

Enclosed is the first knife that you ordered from the Iron Lady Forge: a chef's knife of 200-layered high-carbon steel. Please be sure to hand-dry and clean it promptly after every use with a clean, dry cloth or towel, and maintain its surface with mineral oil regularly. It will also require regular sharpening, whether by yourself or a sharpening service. If you have any questions about its use or maintenance, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, I will prepare a paring knife and serrated bread knife with the same specifications. The survival knife and dive knife should follow soon after. I hope you will be pleased with the quality of this blade.

Sincerely,
Aurelie Lefevre

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 21, 2023 21:28:01 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

While uncertain of what to expect from the first order, Cillian is delighted upon opening the package to find the most aesthetically appealing knife he's ever owned. He's tempted to reply to the note immediately, but decides it's likely wiser to test the knife before he writes a glowing review based on appearance alone.[break][break]

So he tells that he'll cook tonight, leaving work at a reasonable hour (for once) to make good on that promise.[break][break]

"I almost feel bad using it," he confesses to his husband with a soft laugh, setting out the cutting board and an array of vegetables for the stir fry he'd decided to make. "It's so cool."[break][break]

He tilts it this way and that, admiring the way the light catches on rippled steel.[break][break]

It cuts through vegetables and meat with ease, and he's sure to carefully follow the instructions included in the note when cleaning and drying the knife.[break][break]

After dinner, setting aside his fork, Cillian replies to the note with elegant penmanship.[break][break]

I am more than satisfied. I'd be happy to outfit my entire kitchen with your steel.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 Intrepid Sword

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,025 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 26, 2023 22:49:55 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Upon reading the gracious note that accompanied the paid invoice for the delivery of the Damascus steel chef's knife, Aurelie punched the air gleefully and let out an unladylike whoop of triumph. "Yessssss! He liked it! And it worked too," she added as an afterthought, her confidence in her craftsmanship warring with the complexity of forge-welding the dramatic high-layer-count pattern successfully.

Satisfied with her methods and the fruits of her work, she made shorter work of the promised paring knife and serrated bread knife with the same high-carbon steels in the same rippling, winding Damascus pattern. Maybe this isn't outfitting his entire kitchen with my work...yet...but it should make a damn impressive-looking set, Aurelie thought complacently, surveying her handiwork. She had to admit, she struggled to picture the underboss putting on an apron and wielding these knives to make dinner—but it was fun to try!

She briefly debated mentioning that mental picture in the note she sent with the package, before deciding that no, the underboss probably wouldn't appreciate that.

Next, Aurelie addressed the order for a hunting knife and dive knife. The red-haired smith honestly hadn't expected the underboss would actually want these too; she'd mentioned them just to show off her wide range of options, more than anything else. My fault for trying to flaunt my skills, she thought, more amused than genuinely regretful.

For these knives, meant to be functional rather than aesthetically pleasing, Aurelie decided to go with mono-steel—that is, to create both knives from a single type of steel, rather than forge-welding two or three types together. They'd be plainer to look upon but would boast greater structural integrity, which she figured was more important in the field. For the hunting knife, she used the last of the 1095 carbon steel that she and had stolen together during the era of the region-wide dome over Hoenn, but for the dive knife, stainless steel was absolutely the choice.

The red-haired smith made the hunting knife's blade particularly thick and sturdy, so it could stand up to tasks like skinning game, chopping through underbrush, or splitting kindling for a fire. After some inner debate, Aurelie put a flat edge on the blade to give it impressive cutting power, despite its width, and also make it easier to sharpen. Finally, she focused on shaping and contouring the wooden handle to be as comfortable and easy to hold as possible, no matter what hard use the knife would experience.

For the dive knife, she had to adjust once more to working with stainless steel, which had superior rust and corrosion resistance—which Aurelie figured you needed underwater—thanks to being alloyed with chromium. That addition of chromium made it behave somewhat differently from the high-carbon steel that she was used to during the forging process, though. As Aurelie hammered and ground the blade to have one razor-sharp curving edge and one toothy, serrated edge, it occurred to her that she could copy this exact shape, in miniature, for the pen knife, which made her smile. She then made the handle out of molded plastic, etching it with heavy texturing so it would still offer a good grip when wet and added a prominent butt cap at the end to work as a hammer if needed.

About two weeks after the chef's knife had been sent, another package arrived for the underboss, along with another note:

Well, perhaps someday I will be able to outfit your entire kitchen with my steel. But that day will have to wait until I finish this current order of yours first! For now, please enjoy the paring knife, bread knife, hunting knife, and dive knife. I hope they will be able to stand up to many different use cases and help solve many different problems for you.

If you do run into any issues, please feel free to contact me at once with questions and critiques. I will do my best to address them as best I can. Thank you again for your patronage, as well as your patience.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 0:53:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

While the kitchen knives are pretty, Cillian's real excitement is for the other two blades that arrive in that same package.[break][break]

He has an opportunity to test out the hunting knife first. would surely hope to never learn of its wicked purpose, for it was this day in particular that Cillian chose to sacrifice another subject toward his Null Project.[break][break]

The collection of old journals he'd obtained throughout the Wilds had described the construction of an awful chimera capable of effortlessly dispatching Ultra Beasts — code-named 'Beast Killer'. He'd first encountered the one owned by his old friend , and later seen one in possession of within Rocket's ranks. Long has he coveted one of his own, but the recipe had been obscure and, according to those he'd questioned, near impossible to replicate.[break][break]

No longer.[break][break]

The blade cuts neatly through flesh and tendon, finding some difficulty with bone. He suspects it wasn't designed for that macabre purpose.[break][break]

After he's cleaned the blood from his hands, he offers his feedback.[break][break]

I was pleased with the hunting knife's ability to cut through meat and hide, though I had to use more specialized tools for bone. Perhaps I might commission you for that, as well.
[break][break]

It would be left to her imagination what he'd been doing.[break][break]
[break][break]

The dive knife takes longer for a return of feedback; Cillian avoids the water where he can.[break][break]

In the end, the diving trip was not even intentional. He is summoned to the deep by a psychic pressure in his mind that he dare not disobey.[break][break]

The knife is slid into the sheath on his calf before he enters the water.[break][break]

Shadow Lugia's furious red gaze is enough to cow even the Rocket underboss, the combined PRESSURE of her presence and the depth of the Sootopolis Bay closing in around him and making each pull of breath feel labored. He's uncertain of the reason for her anger until his Lanturn's light illuminates the fishing net tangled around the legend's spiked tail and one of her broad wings. Blood seeps from gouges left by her teeth, clear attempts to free herself without his assistance.[break][break]

Her glare is withering when he pulls out the knife, but Cillian is exceedingly careful as he saws away at the net. He can feel her impatience even without words at the time it takes him, but he can offer nothing but an apology when he can finally tug the netting away.[break][break]

Lugia's tail lashes through the water, and she swims a circle around him as if to prove her ability to do so. She does not thank him with words, but he feels her gratitude nevertheless. He leaves her to RECOVER, eager to get back on dry land.[break][break]

Stress seems him delay a review until he once again finds himself in the kitchen, recalling Aurelie's request to reach out as he pulls the bread knife from its place on the rack. Setting it down, he opts to write a letter to attach to the package he returns, containing the dive knife.[break][break]

I had the opportunity to use the diving knife tonight. It seemed to have trouble cutting through some netting. Could I trouble you to diagnose the problem?

Best to be polite, especially since her other work had been quality.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 Intrepid Sword

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,025 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2023 3:01:47 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie winced as she read the underboss' feedback on the hunting knife and dive knife, holding out the letter at arm's length as though expecting the paper to suddenly grow teeth and bite her. She had to try not to think too hard about why the underboss might be wanting to cut through bone. Surely, it's just part of hunting trips, right? the red-haired smith thought, suppressing a shudder. Or he has a side business working in a butcher's shop. That's all it is.

But it was his critique of the dive knife that really sent her reeling back. Despite his surprisingly gentle phrasing—something Aurelie hadn't expected when it came to something failing or displeasing him—she couldn't help feeling angry and disappointed at herself for her knife's failure. A knife that didn't cut? Enough of those, and she might as well hang up her bladesmith's apron for good!

Well, at least he didn't hammer home my knife's failure by—oh, I dunno—tying me up in the netting it couldn't cut, dropping me underwater, and then forcing me to try to free myself before I drowned, she thought sardonically. But then, at least I'd have less time to live down my shame!

With an effort, Aurelie forced herself to approach the letter from a purely pragmatic standpoint and think critically, rather than with her emotions. Of course, the hunting knife she'd made for him wouldn't have done well with cutting through bone, which was one of the hardest and strongest organic materials in existence. And rope was tricky for a knife, especially if said rope was thick enough, submerged in saltwater, and moving around in the bargain.

After scrambling to find answers and solutions, Aurelie finally arrived at ideas that might suit. Pursing her lips thoughtfully, Aurelie eventually responded with:

If you plan to cut through bone regularly, the hunting knife would definitely not suffice. I can craft a butcher knife or meat cleaver for you for this purpose, depending on the size of the bones. A meat cleaver will deliver maximum force for chopping through bone, while butcher knives are better suited for small or medium-sized bones and offer cleaner, smoother cuts through meat and joints.

As for the dive knife, you have my sincerest regrets that it failed to cut through the netting. I will craft you a replacement, free of charge, from a high-nitrogen stainless steel alloy with superior strength. This will allow me to make the blade thinner without sacrificing durability, grind the cutting edge into ultra-fine chisel bevels, and extend the length of the serrated edge, so it can bite into rope and saw through it even if slicing doesn't work. The knife should make everything you cut feel like butter, but will be more delicate and less able to stand up to abuse.

With even more effort, she sent the missive off and forced herself to focus on the next commission: the tactical folding combat knife.

The underboss had given her permission to spare no expense, so Aurelie happily seized the chance to use powder steel, which was usually far out of her price range, coated in titanium with a matte black finish. She chose a sleek, angular tanto shape for the four-inch blade, with a broad, durable point that made it ideal for puncturing and piercing. At the same time, she was careful to sculpt the edge geometry of the straight belly so that it could slice and slash just as smoothly and easily, if needed.

The handle of the folding knife presented additional challenges, but nothing Aurelie hadn't seen or done before. Constructing it from textured polymer, she installed skeletonized liner locks inside to secure the blade in place with a quick click, whether it was inside the handle or extended outward. A round button could be pressed to release the blade, and a pocket clip let the knife be fastened in different positions for extra versatility.

Taking a deep breath, she shipped off the two new knives off to the underboss with the following note:

Thank you for your patience. I've enclosed the improved dive knife for your use, as well as the tactical folding knife that you ordered. I wish you much happy slicing and stabbing! Next will be the pen knife. I'm quite looking forward to creating it, so I hope you'll look forward to receiving it soon.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,876 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 9:25:27 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Cillian mulls over her reply while sipping at a glass of wine. While it was true that the sort of cuts made in the creation of his Type: Null needn't be pretty, only practical, you could never have too many knives.[break][break]

I'm sure it won't surprise you by this point that I'd be happy to commission both.[break][break]

In science, we are taught that failure is part of the process. I'd imagine it is much the same with your trade. Take as much time as you need. Your swift response is much appreciated.
[break][break]

If only he knew how stressed his initial message had made her![break][break]

And was it really a surprise, considering the commission she sends next? The combat knife reminds him at once of his old, worn blade from Kanto with its red handle... yet where that knife had been little more than a cheap self-defense purchase, this one was a sleek weapon designed for the spilling of blood.[break][break]

He will not speak to her of its purpose, of the traitor who'd had the misfortune of being its test subject. He did not think she wanted to know that it had pierced his lung as efficiently as it had opened his throat to finish the job. He had coated its edge with WOLFSBANE poison, the better to draw out the answers he sought. There is still blood beneath the underbosses fingernails as he pens his simple response.[break][break]

It is everything I could have hoped for. Thank you.
[break][break]

At the end, in a different ink, suggesting he'd come back to the note later, he adds,[break][break]

The dive knife cuts beautifully as well, now.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 Intrepid Sword

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,025 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Slice of Life [RR]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2023 23:18:06 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]"You can never have too many knives in my line of work," the underboss had said during their first meeting, and he certainly was living up to that statement. She couldn't help looking back on that first meeting with amusement now, remembering how dejected she'd been about the shop's finances. If only past-Aurelie had known that a Rocket underboss would stroll through the door and respond to her sales pitch like a kid in a candy shop!

His notes were enough to make Aurelie wonder more about the Rocket leadership structure, though. She'd always thought the underbosses served in more of an administrative governance role. But with how quickly the underboss was putting her many different knives to use, including the tactical folding knife... How dirty did the underbosses get their hands? How much of the organization's wetwork did they really do?

Probably better not to know for sure, she thought, unthinkingly brushing away a minuscule fleck of rusty red off the letter of praise for the tactical folding knife and dive knife.

Next up came the most exciting project of this entire order, one that she'd never constructed or even conceived of before: the pen knife.

The most difficult part of this particular piece for Aurelie would be the pen fabrication, so she started on that part first. Recalling the techniques she'd been taught over a decade ago for sand-casting, Aurelie carefully sculpted a sand mold based on the most elegant pen she owned and poured molten-hot brass into the mold to create both halves of the pen's housing. It took about a week's worth of refining and polishing afterward, but the red-haired smith was ultimately pleased with the bright golden, delicately fluted shape with a handy clip on one side.

Ultimately, the pen consisted of just two caps that fit together against a central internal barrel. For the pen's writing half, she basely stole an ink cartridge, spring, and ballpoint tip from another pen, cut the ink cartridge in half, and inserted it into the brass housing she'd made. Then for the top half, Aurelie added a small, flanged catch to secure the upper half of the pen, so that it could be twisted off easily but not slide off otherwise when the blade wasn't needed.

The blade itself was almost an anticlimax: a simple high-carbon blade measuring about 2.5 inches in length, with a needle-fine point and razor-sharp edge. It was surely one of the smallest blades she'd ever made, but possibly one of the deadliest because of its surprise factor. After tempering and quenching the small blade, Aurelie firmly welded it atop the central barrel inside the pen.

The upper cap slipped neatly into place over the blade, keeping it concealed. The lower cap also slid easily over the ballpoint tip, which wrote fluidly enough, like an utterly ordinary pen. After some light testing, Aurelie verified that the construction was solid; nothing was going to rattle or come loose unless the underboss did some forceful writing or stabbing with it.

Aurelie sagged against the wall with relief and tiredness as she regarded the small, yet eye-catching pen. It was done, and from what she could tell, it looked pretty good. And now, perhaps, the underboss wouldn't have to decide whether a pen would be mightier than a sword—not when he could write, stab, or slash with this.

She gladly sent it off with him about three-and-a-half weeks after the last delivery, with the following note:

Enclosed is the pièce de résistance of your order: the pen that is also a knife. Remember, it will only have half the ink capacity of an ordinary pen, but otherwise it will write exactly like one. The blade is also half the length of an ordinary knife, but it will hopefully be a blade that no one expects. I trust that you can use both halves of this pen to consign your targets to a well-deserved end.